Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33052 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2004, 02:15:27 PM »

Tab Hunter, Gale Storm, AND Pat Boone - more of what Dot's Got!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 02:15:50 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2004, 02:19:30 PM »

BK,

The cover art evokes a wonderful mood. Harvey Schmidt is certainly blessed - twice, at least - in the department of creative gifts.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2004, 02:27:49 PM »

My sister's two brand new couches for her still-being-built house are finally being stored in my sort of cleaned up extra bedroom. ::) My sister wanted short couches to face each other (they're only about six feet long) so thankfully, it was not too difficult for her boyfriend and I to carry them up the one flight of stairs and into my extra bedroom.  Before she told me that they were short couches, I had visions of her other couch, which was almost eight feet long and quite deep...and VERY heavy.  I borrowed that when I had my previous apartment, but at least I lived on the ground floor then.  

As for Bogey and/or Bacall movies:

Lauren Bacall:  "Murder on the Orient Express," "Misery" (small part) and "How to Marry a Millionaire"

Humphrey Bogart:  "Casablanca," "We're No Angels," "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen"

Bogey and Bacall:  "Key Largo," "To Have and Have Not" and "The Big Sleep"

Well, I have things to see, people to go and places do so I'll be in and out (mostly out) for the rest of the day.

And congratulations to the newest HHW God (from the previous newest HHW God):
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Jed, the Newest HHW God!! [/move]
;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 02:30:11 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2004, 02:34:31 PM »

I believe that DR Charles Pogue is quoted in last Wednesday's Variety article about the WGA brouhaha (I get my copies several days late due to the mail--sorry if this has been mentioned).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2004, 02:35:26 PM »

Love the art work, BK!  I can't wait to see it on the dust jacket!  :D

-I decided to put the figure skating on... hmm... I may turn back to the low-carb special on FoodTV...  "Dueling banjos"?  Oh, and now "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"???  Hmmm.. not bad footwork... How I do wish one had the option to watch without hearing the commentary - that always drives me crazy during the Olympics.  Sometimes it seems like the commentators are projecting the flubs and missed jumps.  And sometimes, the comments are just plain stupid.

-Oh, and what a coincidence - they just explained a what a "lutz" is.   :)

I had a good walk.  Grabbed lunch at the NY Deli - a Spanish omelet, and an onion bagel with liptauer (did someone say "low-carb"?).  Then I headed down to the end of the strip and worked my way back.  My favorite knick-knack shop had TONS of Christmas stuff on clearance.  Usually, by February, they start putting things at 75% off... sometimes even 90%... I'll check back then.

Oh, Michael Weiss is coming up...maybe I'll watch him... then go back to FoodTV...

Hmmm.. Ryan Jahnke... Interesting costume...  back to FoodTV in the meantime...

I actually walked out of that store with nothing in hand - which is very rare for me.  Even one of the clerks was surprised, but she also remembered that this was one of the few years where I actually bought a lot of stuff before Christmas (not on clearance), so she understood.  *And she also tipped me off to a special "private sale" coming up in a few weeks... Hmmm...

It wasn't too cold outside, but the breeze did pick up every now and then.  It was very nice to stretch my legs, and I actually kind of like the cold weather.

Oh, and my trip to For the Love of Chocolate was quite "productive"...  ;D

Hopefully, I'll be starting some bundling of old magazines and catalogs soon... I bought the twine, at least.

*Does anyone know if Gourmet magazines are still collectible?  -They're the one thing I'm on the fence  about in regards to keeping.

OK - Time for Michael Weiss.. back in a few...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2004, 02:38:01 PM »

Really lovely artwork and beyond weird for me, because I was JUST thinking about Dot records this morning.  Was it always a Paramount imprint or did Paramount get involved later?  I was too young for the first wave of Dot artists, but I well remember one of the very first LPs I bought was the soundtrack to The Odd Couple on Dot.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jed

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2004, 02:40:57 PM »

DR Jed, I'm very sorry but your ascention to the uppermost reaches of Valhalla will be delayed until you watch THE MALTESE FALCON, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, THE PETRIFIED FOREST, or TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. I'll be mentioning my own favorites Bogies in a minute, but those are good places for a guy unsure of his Bogie connection to start.

Well, I think I'm alright, as one of the two Bogart pics I do remember seeing is THE AFRICAN QUEEN (CASABLANCA being the other).  Only thing is, both were seen a number of years ago, and I just don't remember them all that well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »

Michael Weiss... Not bad... we'll see what the scores say...

OH!  Should I not be talking about this for the West Coast contingent who is most likely on tape delay?  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2004, 02:43:15 PM »

One more men's contestant.  Very good competition this year!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2004, 02:43:45 PM »

Yes Jose - we can just say what we think without revealing the results!

JMK

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2004, 02:46:22 PM »

JR, it occurs to me that if Dot was indeed a Paramount imprint it would have been the perfect label for that rare "Frances Farmer Swings Fats Waller" LP we've been trying to track down!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2004, 02:52:32 PM »

Could be JMK....although they SWEAR it's on Imperial.  And remember that United Artists memo on Ebay that was sent around in '58 about Frances recording an album of folk songs for that label?  

HEY LEFT COASTERS - a great men's competition well worth watching!  Everyone rises above himself!

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2004, 02:52:34 PM »

DOT was founded in 1950 by Randy Wood in Gallatin Tennesse. He moved to Hollywod in 1956 and sold Dot to Paramount in 1958. Dot was eventually absorbed by ABC records in 1973. HHW: answers to everything.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2004, 02:56:31 PM »

Here's a major difference betwixt the stars of yesterday and today...well, at least the male stars.  Are there any leading men in Hollywood these days who is actually just butt-ugly?  Bogart was butt-ugly.  And not only was he a star, he was a sex symbol, fer cryin' out loud.  

About the only big name leading man who's actually ugly these days is Benicio del Toro, who looks like the Bizarro World's version of James Dean.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2004, 02:58:25 PM »

I guess I am going "Dotty" today.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2004, 03:01:55 PM »

Oh, and by the way...with the decorations now neatly stored away, the Christmas season is now officially over.  It's kind of bittersweet...one gets used to the glittering gaiety of it all.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2004, 03:06:26 PM »

Bogart movies: "The Road to Bali". "cameo role". I watched it last week.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »

Dear DR Laura II:

If you haven’t seen Casablanca, then the odds are that a lot of your friends haven’t seen it, either.  What I think you should do is invite a group of them over and watch it together!  Make a party of it, or at least a “girl’s night in” or something.  And if you have trouble convincing some of them to come, here’s Uncle Woody’s List of Reasons to Watch Casablanca:

Bogart – Was never better than in this film.  It perfectly captures his persona, and everything else he did, both before and after, can be seen in relation to this central performance.  He’s tough, but he’s also amazingly romantic.  Yes, you and the crew are going to want to see African Queen as a follow-up, but this one really should come first.

Ingrid Bergman – In what may well be the persona role of her career.  She was never lovelier than she is in this film, to the point of being luminescent.  But that’s only part of what she brings to the film.  She isn’t just “the woman” in the picture.  She makes you understand how Bogart’s Rick could fall so deeply in love with her.  Suggested follow-up would be Hitchcock’s Notorious, opposite Cary Grant.

The Other Players – as in Paul Heinreid, Claude Raines, Conrad Veidt, Sidney Greenstreet, and most particularly Peter Lorre (before he proved what an adept comic he could be in the next follow-up film, Arsenic and Old Lace, again with Grant and with Boris Karloff spoofing himself.

Paul Dooley – The most important supporting role of them all, singing “As Time Goes By.”  But he does more than sing and play the piano, he plays the one fellow who is Bogart’s true friend, willing to tell him things that are true.  Given race relations when the film was made, that was something of a statement to make, even if it wasn’t obvious at the time.  (In fact, that it wasn’t obvious was probably part of how it became part of the film!)

Michael Curtiz – The director.  Talk about a career!  Just a quick glance over the films he made gives us Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Life with Father, White Christmas…in a word, wow!  He was a master working in color (add Robin Hood to that list of follow-ups), but what he could do with black and white was simply amazing.  He could make you want to stay in Kansas!  This man knew how to make movies!

The Writing – Working from a not-too-good play by Murray Bennett and Joan Alison, the twin brothers Julius and Philip Epstein and Howard Koch came up with a classic, full of drama and amazing dialogue.  No one could ever speak like this in real life!  But we do, because we quote them so often.

The Studio System Gets it Right – Which, considering how films were being cranked out at the time, and how this was not conceived as one of the big pics when they started making it, is remarkable.  It could have been a throwaway clunker, forever forgotten, but instead all the pieces fit together to make for one of the classic touchstones of our culture.

That should be enough.  Like I say, get your friends together for an evening at the movies.  Pair this one with African Queen, get together on another night for back-to-back Notorious and Arsenic and Old Lace.  And get back to us for other pairings.  The crew around here is bound to have tons of suggestions.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2004, 03:20:17 PM »

In the "For What It's Worth" Department:

We left coasters got the competition live, the same as you.  It started at 1 p.m. with tape of last night's ice dancing competition and segued into the Men's finals live from Atlanta.  I was watching when you were watching.

For Hawaii, though, I'm not sure they're got it live.

At any rate, it was an interesting and shockingly good finals for men....FINALLY!  And the winner deserved his win.  No one performance was electrifyingly better than the others, although the winner was probably a good notch above the rest of the pack.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2004, 03:21:29 PM »

Oh, and by the way...with the decorations now neatly stored away, the Christmas season is now officially over.  It's kind of bittersweet...one gets used to the glittering gaiety of it all.  

The trick is to find a way to maintain that glittering gaiety -- in some fashion -- all the year long!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2004, 03:28:53 PM »

To "glitter and be gay". A creed to live by. One out of two ain't bad.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2004, 03:29:02 PM »

Nice skating.  And I only caught the last half-hour.

-But some of the commentary still drove me up the wall!

And the musician in me just wishes some of the editing would be more seamless.  Yes, I know, tempo changes are a good thing - and more or less required - but sometimes the edits are so static, so un-musical.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2004, 03:31:37 PM »

Thanks DR Ron - didn't realize ABC went live coast to coast for the broadcast!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2004, 03:35:22 PM »

I enjoy Dick Button's commentaries, for the most part.

It's when you're watching Ice Dancing and a Susie Wynn intones -- EVERY time a pair skates -- and now they're doing 'twizzles'."

What I want to know is why they're so fershluganah agog over twizzles and why they feel "we" want to know what that silly little movement is called.

Oh, I don't mind the lutzes and axels and flips and loops and flying threes and death drops and butterflies and sit spins and blur spins and cross-legged spins, and lifts and carries, et.al., but I DRAW THE LINE at wanting to know about TWIZZLES!

If I were out there on the ice skating my heart out, I'd die of mortification if I thought Susie Wynn or Peggy Fleming were commenting on me doing twizzles when I was envisioning something grander or more dramatic.

Here's a headline:

Former skater twizzles self to death!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 03:35:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2004, 03:36:26 PM »

glitter and be gay =Barbara Cook = The Grass Harp = The movie "the Grass Harp": just to get a link somehow. I watched it last night. Not a perfect movie but some enjoyable performances. Did it ever have  a movie release or was it straight to Tv and video. 1995 I think. Matthau, Spacek, Durning, Lemmon, Piper Laurie, Roddy McDowell and Nell Carter. What a cast. (I will not mention the presence of Steenburgen as it might be offputting!)
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2004, 03:36:29 PM »

Thanks DR Ron - didn't realize ABC went live coast to coast for the broadcast!

This is NOT a given.  It just happens to have worked out that way this year.

Jason

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2004, 03:36:34 PM »

Jose: Your trip to the candy store was "productive?!" So cryptic, you are... Did they have the mint M&Ms? Did they have the Galaxy Bars? Oh! The excitement is killing me...I have to pee!

My DVD player is behaving quite wonderfully today for some reason...no wavy lines or squiggly things on the screen. Maybe it's because I finally dusted the TV! Haha!

I think I'm off to the local supermarket to get a couple of nice plants for the apartment. I feel the need for greenery, and since I don't EAT green stuff, I might as well LOOK at it, right?

DRLaura: I'm so sorry about your kitty...I know he was very special to you guys. I also know that you did what you had to do, and you did it because you loved him. Up there, in Kitty Heaven, he knows it, too.

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2004, 03:38:44 PM »

If the skating is ever shown here in Oz, it will be at 3.00am in an off rating period.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2004, 03:40:11 PM »

If the skating is ever shown here in Oz, it will be at 3.00am in an off rating period.

Does Australia HAVE figure skaters?   :o
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 03:40:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2004, 03:42:33 PM »

I know DR MattH enjoyed the men's finals.  Some of his favorites skated exceptionally well.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up