Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33400 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2004, 08:53:50 PM »

DRAT!  The milk has gone sour, so I can't make pancakes!  DRAT DRAT DRAT!

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: January 10, 2004, 08:54:23 PM »

Well, if one isn't well-rounded then one is well-squared and we can't have that.  I know that Shayne wasn't trying to be condescending, and I hope you know that I wasn't.  You're in for a treat.  And, please, don't judge films like Casablanca with Gone With the Wind - I'm one of the few, I think, who can't really get with Gone With the Wind, it just bores me to tears and has since I was a wee bairn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2004, 08:55:38 PM »

And in a way, I'm sure we envy you for your first time with a film like that.  There are still classic films (like To Have and Have Not) that I hadn't seen, and it's always a thrill to catch up to one of them.  I hadn't seen several Lubitsch films and those were a real revelation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2004, 08:56:02 PM »

Also, I don't believe we've ever had a Saturday with this many posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #304 on: January 10, 2004, 08:57:22 PM »

And you'd think someone named Pogue would want pancakes, but noooooooooo, there he sits in his mansion in the hills, counting his green envelopes and rewriting Hercules.

Michael

« Reply #305 on: January 10, 2004, 08:58:20 PM »

108 postings away from 19,000
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #306 on: January 10, 2004, 08:59:39 PM »

DR Jason: Please see my post to my neice, DR Laura II, for reasons why you should see Casablanca.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2004, 09:00:59 PM »

Dr Michael Shayne, check out IMDB and Amazon.com for more detailed descriptions of MANJI.

According to the DVD insert the swastika-like character on the front of the DVD box is actually the Chinese (though this is a Japanese movie) character "Manji" which has something to do with Budda. So nope, no Nazis to be found in this film! Just four people who "slowly descend into a web of desire, deceit, blackmail, blood oathes and suicide pacts." LOL!

Michael

« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2004, 09:03:25 PM »

Dr Michael Shayne, check out IMDB and Amazon.com for more detailed descriptions of MANJI.

According to the DVD insert the swastika-like character on the front of the DVD box is actually the Chinese (though this is a Japanese movie) character "Manji" which has something to do with Budda. So nope, no Nazis to be found in this film! Just four people who "slowly descend into a web of desire, deceit, blackmail, blood oathes and suicide pacts." LOL!

A comedy. Can't wait
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2004, 09:05:43 PM »

Jason, as I have admitted here before, I also have not seen CASABLANCA or THE MALTESE FALCON...or CITIZEN KANE. I do plan to watch all three someday, but for some reason I just never get around to it. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to watch CITIZEN KANE since we were in the 7th grade! And as I do consider myself a lover of movies (although some would suggest my choice of movies are...odd) I am actually ashamed to say that I have not seen those three movies listed above.

I have a friend who had never seen THE WIZARD OF OZ...and when he finally did see it, just recently, he hated it! I still don't speak to him! LOL!

Michael

« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2004, 09:06:58 PM »

The movie was made in 1964. Very daring. I think I will try and track it down. Thanks. I am glad you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:08:48 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #311 on: January 10, 2004, 09:07:06 PM »

Well, it's getting past midnight, so I will retire from the boards, and let you late nighters add another 250 posts to the total. I'll spend many entertaining hours tomorrow morning perusing them. Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »

Hey everyone.  Much to comment on:

DR Emily: I remember seeing that speed skater from Oz. Knowing how seriously we take our speed skating here in Canada (well some people do), I was not amused. But it was hilarious how everyone else fell and the guy that was so far behind won.

BK: What is chocolate covered licorice and why haven't I heard of it? :(

Re: Tonight's episode of Trading Spaces

It was with Doug and Edward. Maybe some of you were talking about the earlier repeat episode (I just happened to catch the last minutes, it was the one where Doug did that neat brown patterned bedroom).

Tonight's episode was interesting. Doug did a kitchen which was mostly white (walls and cabinets) and blue ceiling.  The couple liked it (especially for the banquet by the bay window). I thought it was rather plain.

Edward did a blue and black bedroom with a Mardi Gras theme. Parts of it were elegant. But I found it too black. It was just okay.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2004, 09:11:34 PM »

And you'd think someone named Pogue would want pancakes, but noooooooooo, there he sits in his mansion in the hills, counting his green envelopes and rewriting Hercules.
Gee, bk, if DR Pogue and the lovely missus came, I'd go for pancakes. I'm HUNGRY. I have Roy Orbison on PBS on in the bg. Great black and white concert. And not too much begging in between.

Jennifer

« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2004, 09:14:10 PM »

Congrats newest God Jose! Wow, I cannot believe how many new Gods we've had lately.

DR Danise: Which is the south beach diet?  Is it low carb? I think you can find that book at the library.

DR Emily: I meant to ask you, when you saw WICKED what did you think of Taye? (was he an adequate replacement to you for your norbert?)

Panni

« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2004, 09:14:11 PM »

I just looked over at the TV set. Orbison has Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen playing backup!

Panni

« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2004, 09:21:07 PM »

just had a great dance to Orbison and Springsteen. Hot concert! Gotta dance again.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2004, 09:24:12 PM »

Michael Shayne,  I do see where you're coming from.  Having actually taught a screenwriting course once, I was appalled by how many aspiring filmmakers had not seen certain iconic films.  I know how frustrating it is to work with executives in film who have no understanding  of the legacy or history of their business.  They should know things like CASABLANCA.  It's film 101. What's more, these young executives don't care that they don't know and don't think it matters if they don't know D.W. Griffith, Chaplin, Welles, Wilder, Wyler, Bogie, Coop, Gable, Harlow, etc..  I call it the arrogance of ignorance.  They're proud that they think film began with STAR WARS...now considered a venerable classic.

I know when I work in the theatre...if Williams or Miller or Ibsen or Chekov, The Lunts or Alfred Drake or Barrymores are invoked, those I am working will be familiar with them.  We will have a common lexicon and knowledge from which to work.  They will, of course, also usually know Casablanca.

I think anyone seriously pursuing a career in film  and/or theatre should be well-versed in a basic, well-rounded dramatic history of THEATRE (with a capital "T" which includes stage, film, and even some tV).  It behooves them to familiarize themselves with the linchpins and classic cornerstones of the trade they have chosen to follow.  I think accessibility is sometimes responsible for the indifference.  I know in my pre-video, DVD days, you set the alarm to see some classic movie at 3AM because you never knew when you might get the chance again, you read everything you could find out about this stuff.  I probably watched a dozen to twenty movies a week...pre-video, DVD.

I'd say not having seen Casablanca...which is arguably as perfect as a film gets...is a severe gap in anyone's cultural education that should be remedied as soon as possible...same can be said for not having seen Greg Peck in something like To Kill a Mockingbird or Hitchcock's Spellbound.

I think it's an even greater cultural setback in the education of someone embarking on a career in the performing arts, as classics like these will constantly be invoked as seminal artistic touchstones, even among the non-cognoscenti.

But even more, they should just be seen to be enjoyed as the amazing, moving entertainments they are.  One thing can be said for those who haven't seen them.  I'm envious of them, because they have such wonders yet to discover.

Oh...and, Jason, I'd give GONE WITH THE WIND another try.  

Of course, it may just be generational and Michael and I may just be un-with-it, old farts who don't know jack.  But  we damn well know movies, it seems.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:39:26 PM by Charles Pogue »

Panni

« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2004, 09:24:46 PM »

Just noticed that two of the backup chicks are Bonnie Raitt and kd lang... And there's Tom Waitts in the back! Gotta get this DVD.

Jennifer

« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2004, 09:27:44 PM »

I would like to say something about criticizing posters for not having seen certain movies.  I actually found it slightly insulting for MS to say that a DR should be "embarrassed" for not having seen certain films.  I don't like that term.  I get what he (and BK) mean.  But I think there are better ways to make the point.  I like how DRs encouraged DR Laura II to see the movies in question, by giving her encouragement.  And now she wants to see those movies.

Not everyone here is a film buff, and I think that is fine. I don't particularly think that those who admitted to not having seen Casablanca for example, were trying to brag (especially knowing the reactions it would get on this board).

I think maybe I have been a bit guilty of this same thing in regards to theatre (when some dear posters have said they have not seen very much theatre).  But I like the idea of encouragement rather than judging people.

And DR MS, I don't mean to criticize you. I think your intentions were probably good.

And now I will go to bed and wake up tomorrow to another 300+ posts :)

Good night all.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »

Mr. Pogue would love to come for pancakes,  but I am re-writing Hercules...due Monday...and besides, if I went out to the TV room where the missus is watching Trading Spaces and said Bruce and Panni want us to come eat pancakes, she'd know I wasn't working on Herc, but dawdling around here.  (By the by, she wanted to watch our screener of PIECES OF APRIL tonight...I'm voting for it and SEABISCUIT, the only two screeners I've gotten so far.  I'm a whore, I admit it.  Give me something free, I'll vote for you.)  You all just have to give us more notice on these pancake binges, preferably before we've eaten dinner and especially, if we have to drive over to the valley.

I too do believe I have embarrassing gaps in my cinematic education...I just can't think of any off the top of my head...I would say that I've sampled a bit of everything, but I'm probably weak in my silents (Ah! Top of my head just blew!  Never seen all of Modern Times or The Gold Rush) and probably my foreign films(don't think I've seen all of the Seventh Seal...). But at least I sort of know the ones I should see, but haven't and am embarrassed by it.  I know it's my failing...but somehow when you're laying around and you think Seventh Seal or The Vikings again, The Vikings is usually going to win.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2004, 09:35:59 PM »

It was just when I was your age I had seen these movies, I had read Shakespeare and I had listen to Bach. This is why I just find it hard to believe that one has never seen a Bogart film or a Peck film.

I hope you can see where I am coming from.

There are many different types of people here on HHW.  Different backgrounds.  Different professions.  Different nationalities.  Different experiences.  Different ages.  Different generations.

We are all bound to cringe when the phrase, "When I was your age..." comes up.  -Come on, you know you did. ;-)

I've read a lot of books.  I've seen a lot of plays.  I've seen a lot of musicals.  I've played for a lot of musicals.  I've played a lot of classical music.  I've played a lot of popular music.

However, I still have a list of books I want to read.  I have a list of movies I want to see.  I have a list of plays I'd like to see - and will most like just have to settle for reading.  I have a list of scores I would like to play through - and, in my dream of dreams, even conduct one day.

Among all these lists are some "classics", "near classics", and just plain ole "fun" titles.  Will I ever get to read, watch all of them?  No.  Will I ever get to play/conduct everything?  No.  Simply because those piles will continue to grow... and grow.

I readily admit there are some "classics" from all fields that I have not experienced.  And there are some I'm just not inclined to experience.  At least right now.  My inclinations may change over time.  They may not.  Does that make me less well-rounded?  I hope not.  I think not.

Do I think someone who has never seen something like Sweeney Todd is not culturally aware?  Do I think someone who has never been to the Met has been "deprived"?  Do I think someone who has not read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" in the original language is "culturally stupid"?  (My quotes, not yours.)  Do I look down on someone who can't tell the difference between the melodies of Faure and the lieder of Brahms?  Will I write off someone simply because they have not seen Casablanca?  Breakfast at Tiffany's?  The French Connection?  E.T.?  Out of Africa?  Chocolat?  The Return of the King?

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. And No.

The world is an ever-changing thing.  Culture is an ever-changing thing.  The educational system is an every-changing thing - for better or worse.

And as DR Sarah pointed out a couple of days ago, some of us have others things to deal with in our lives.  There is school.  There are friends.  There is family.

We see different things.   Go to different places.  Meet different people.  And spend our time differently.

Who knows?  Maybe DR Jason has seen the same amount of movies, listened to a similar amount of music, attended the same amount of plays and musical that you had when you were his age?  And after talking and meeting with Jason - and even from his posts here on HHW - I would say the amount of experiences is comparable.  However, it would be impossible for him to have experienced the exact same films, music and theatre that you had when your were his age.  It's just the age difference, the different generation.

A quick for instance - Have you seen all the plays and musicals that Jason has seen the past year in NYC?  Heck, even in the past two months?  And when was the last time you were at The Met?

We are all the sum of our parts, our experiences, our contacts, our geography... And that's what makes all of us different.

Finally, we all even write differently.  And sometimes the "wink in they eye" and the "pat on the back" is hard to infer from time to time.  Just the nature of the printed word.

And that's what makes horse racing!

-Or something like that!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2004, 09:36:26 PM »

It's interesting that growing up in Hungary, I knew all about CASABLANCA (my mother's maiden name is Laszlo!) and GWTW and several other classic films. I had never seen them, but I felt as if I had. When I finally did get to see them in Canada, it just seemed inevitably right. I couldn't stop crying the first time I saw CASABLANCA.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2004, 09:42:13 PM »

I certainly look down on those who can't tell the difference between the melodies of Lieder and the Lieder of Hosen.  Brahms is a bull, isn't it?  Faure Ackerman was Famous Monsters of Filmland, that much I know.  I don't mind people looking at me askance if I haven't seen a Lubitsch film - I just take their advice and watch the thing.  Again, no one is putting anyone down.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2004, 09:44:16 PM »

And really, what does "some of us have to deal with other things" have to do with the discussion at hand?  We're just discussing movies and the fact that some haven't seen a certain classic is just a discussion.  We all have things to deal with, every day in every way.  That has nothing to do with this discussion, in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo).  

Jennifer

« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2004, 09:45:18 PM »

It is 12:43am. I think I should go to bed! But for some reason I am not tired.  I was so exhausted earlier I dozed off.

Btw, it is still absolutely freezing here. And for some reason the thing to do in Montreal when it is freezing is go to the mall.  I kid you not.

I think it was as busy as Boxing Day (which is crazy wicked here).  I was stunned.

Panni

« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2004, 09:45:39 PM »

"Finally, we all even write differently.  And sometimes the "wink in they eye" and the "pat on the back" is hard to infer from time to time.  Just the nature of the printed word."

Well put, JoseSPiano.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:49:57 PM by Panni »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2004, 09:46:53 PM »

Well, I have just retuuuuuuuhned from the theatuh!

MAMMA MIA is such a fun show. Jose, you are going to have a GREAT TIME!

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, because I'm not a big ABBA fan at ALL, but I LOVED it! It's fluffy, not too complicated, and very flashy, but no one was there looking for a complicated show. They wanted to have a good time, and that's what they got.

The woman playing Sophie has a fantastic voice, the mother and her friends are hysterical, the men have fun roles and play them nicely, and the ensemble members are extremely talented!

The only "thing" I had was that the man who played "Sam" was singing STRAIGHT out of his nose, and it was apparent. I could hear the murmur of people around me when he began to sing, and by the end of his shpiel, the energy level had gone down. But it's a small part of the show, and doesn't affect the overall performance.

And when the curtain call started, don't you know I was up and dancing in a minute, all by myself. And, being the nice little trendsetter I was, got everyone else in the balcony to dance as well!

So yes...I would definitely go see it again. Especially if I can go to Occidental's for dinner again! YUM! I had a caesar salad, tender pork with pecan sauce, and mango sorbet. And I'm FULL! No food tomorrow, eghk.

*And I do realize that, yes, I loved ANOTHER show I saw. If this review is too positive for you, email me, and I'll give you a blow-by-blow of my negative thoughts during the show. Note that this email will be about 2 sentences long. I have a positive outlook on musicals, what can I say??*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:50:09 PM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2004, 09:47:34 PM »

I don't think anyone's writing anyone off because they haven't seen something that they just thought was de rigeur...I think we're just sort of gob-smacked that someone gets to a certain age and hasn't  seen something this seminal yet.  Of course, some of us fogies forget that there have been twenty, thirty, forty more years of films since we first saw Casablanca.  Still we definitely encourage anyone to rectify what is to us an inexplicable gap not only in their education, but also their joy!

Panni

« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2004, 09:47:51 PM »

I had a quote in front of my statement, but it's gone. I was referring to the comment about the absence of tone and nuance.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up