Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33269 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2004, 09:48:42 PM »

I saw Mamma Mia here in LA - I enjoyed it (I like ABBA) but it was so bloody loud I had a headache for two days (I was, unfortunately, in the fifth row orchestra near a speaker).

Jennifer

« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2004, 09:50:24 PM »

I'm still here.

Swish, glad you liked MAMMA MIA. I actually LOVED it when I saw it in London and Toronto.  It is just so much fun!

Btw, I like your "swish on" motto. Cute :)

Laura II

« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2004, 09:50:41 PM »

DR Ann: I'm very sorry to hear about Shy :(

Uncle Woody, I am honored to be your niece! Every time I see a reference to that, I beam!

I must agree with Jennifer regarding the encouragement. It made me so happy that people made suggestions about which films to watch first and why I should view them. Encouragement like that influences people in a way that allows them to remain open-minded to ideas. I must thank all of you Dear Readers who treat me with such respect. I really appreciate it. I'm a teenager, and I may not have as much theatre knowledge/experience as a lot of you, so it means a lot that you realize that! For example, I don't know much about films, and they are not one of my main interests, but I will now give them more of a chance! Also, I must say that we all learn something new everyday. It's part of life. Our cultural interests mature/progress at different times. I mean, I love musical theatre, and I still have yet to see some of the classic musicals, such as Sweeney Todd! All right, I basically just wanted to say thank you, everyone, for your patience with me! :D
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2004, 09:51:43 PM »

I hate when tone and nuance quotes disappear.  I'm just sitting here trying to figure out whether I'm hearing the melodies of Faure or the lieder of Brahms.  I THINK it's Brahms because there's singing, but it could be Faure because they're singing in French.  Was Brahm's French?  Avez vous Brahms as Francoise Sagan once said.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #334 on: January 10, 2004, 09:52:39 PM »

Mr. Pogue would love to come for pancakes,  but I am re-writing Hercules...due Monday...

Excuses, excuses...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2004, 09:53:27 PM »

Having teens here is my favorite thing and not for nefarious reasons either.  I think we all learn from each other.  When I work with young people I encourage their ideas and thoughts - frequently they have better ideas than I have.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2004, 09:53:44 PM »

And you, LauraII, are a delight.

Jennifer

« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2004, 09:54:10 PM »

I'm not usually up this late.  But I just noticed something. I'm reading these posts live as their posted. But when I go back (which I don't normally do) they are all modified :)

Jennifer

« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2004, 09:56:29 PM »

I agree Laura II is a delight!

(hey Laura don't you feel like royalty or some rich kid to be "the second") :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2004, 09:56:39 PM »

I can't tell the difference between the modified posts and the lieder of Brahms.  I'm having a lieder of Diet Coke right now.  What is Jose having?

Panni

« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2004, 09:58:22 PM »

I'm making popcorn. I've had this popcorn for many months, so it will probably be dry and horrid. My dog is a fan of dry and horrid, so it won't be a total loss.

Laura II

« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2004, 09:58:38 PM »

Thank you, BK and Jennifer. Thank you everybody for accepting me here! I must confess that when I began posting here, I wasn't sure what people thought of me. Now, though, I really feel like I'm part of the "big extended family" we have here (to quote Jed, with whom I'm chatting at the moment).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:59:16 PM by Laura II »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2004, 09:59:07 PM »

16 Tons.  16 Candles.  And now, 16 GUESTS!  Welcome, GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2004, 09:59:59 PM »

Watch out for Jed.  He's nefarious.

Panni

« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2004, 10:00:52 PM »

It IS dry and horrid.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2004, 10:01:04 PM »

Well, it's almost 1:00AM here on the East Coast... And I think I'm actually going to venture into my bedroom and start the grand excavation.  However, I do know it's not as bad as I think it is - well, that's what I'm telling myself deep, deep-down inside. ;-)  Hopefully, it will only take me about an hour - I really just want to get the stuff out of my bags and back into my dresser and closet.  And I may go ahead and start some magazine bundles along the way.  We'll see...

-Hey, I gotta work off that yummilicious cheesesteak somehow!

-And the moving around will also keep me warm.  Gotta love these old, drafty buildings!

DR SwishySarah - I'm soo glad you had a good time at Mamma Mia!  That's what the show was made for: a good time, a get up in the aisles and start dancing good time!  Unfortunately, it does not look like I will be subbing in for the DC run this time round.  But I have done a few weeks already on the Second National tour - and some more may come my way sooner or later - heck, they're booked solid for at least three more years!  Maybe next time you'll be dancing while I'm playing!  :D

Back in a little while...

<breathe>
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

And what is Jose listening to?  The melodies of Brahms or the lieder of Faure?  I'm listening to Richard and Johann Strauss at the same time.  I want to waltz and kill myself.

Tomovoz

« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2004, 10:03:27 PM »

Jed has been "outed" again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2004, 10:03:28 PM »

...Diet Cherry Coke... and I may break out a Fresca soon...

-Once more into the fray!  (fray=messy bedroom)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2004, 10:04:28 PM »

You know what we should do sometime?  We should have a pajama party and just post all night.  Maybe we'll do that this week.

Laura II

« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2004, 10:05:39 PM »

Jose, Cherry Coke is no fun if it's diet!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2004, 10:05:45 PM »

And what is Jose listening to?  The melodies of Brahms or the lieder of Faure?  I'm listening to Richard and Johann Strauss at the same time.  I want to waltz and kill myself.

Now if you were listening to Johann Strauss and Richard Wagner (or even Bruckner) at the same time, it would be a really loooooooong death.

LOL

-Now, I'm going...

For real...

This time...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 10:06:44 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2004, 10:14:08 PM »

I'm sorry that my post caused so much trouble. The truth is, I don't care for movies. And at this time, I do not own a television or vcr or dvd player, so I don't rent movies.  But if one day I buy a television and vcr or dvd player, I may check into some of these classics.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2004, 10:16:05 PM »

Hi everyone!

I'm back from seeing Big Fish...I loved it...it's my second favorite film of the year, next to Lost in Translation.  Burton is just a master of cinematic magical realism, what can I say?  And while the movie was a bit manipulative in places, I didn't mind...it just took me to wonderful enchanting places.  And the acting was wonderful...it was incredible how much Alison Lohman looked like the young Jessica Lange, and Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney shared some resemblance too, strangely enough.

My friend made a hilarious comment during the movie, referring to Helena Bonham Carter's effort to seduce Ewan in the movie.  "Even in movies, she's a homewrecker!"

I hope you guys don't mind if I add my two cents apropos to the discussion on classic films.  There are only so many years one has to live...that means that there are only so many films one can see, so many books one can read, so many albums one can listen to.  I've seen Citizen Kane, and Gone with the Wind, and Casablanca.  I loved Casablanca and GWTW, but really couldn't get into Citizen Kane.  I suppose it's not good that a lot of teenagers and members of the MTV generation haven't seen these films, but that doesn't mean that they are film-illiterates or that they aren't seeing other, more recent great films.  I think Jason and Laura II are both very intelligent anc cultured people, regardless of how much film or theatre they have been exposed to.  And they are young, so there is always more to experience and learn about!

Swish--Glad you had such a great time at Mamma Mia!  I'm not an ABBA fan either, though I do like Anderssen's and Ulvaeus' score for Chess.  Have you heard it??

Ann--Condolences on your cat!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 10:17:35 PM by Maya »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2004, 10:18:18 PM »

I'll bet you'd love movies if they featured The Plaids.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2004, 10:18:42 PM »

DR Laura. No way could your delightful self ever cause trouble! People make trouble for themselves. Music over movies any time. And you have a delightful person to tell you wonderful stories about the scholastic world. Wish she would share more with us. I still want to know more about the OZ History teacher. Or in her case, herstory!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2004, 10:19:10 PM »

Maya, did you see the Kritzer Time art?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2004, 10:20:02 PM »

If anyone missed it it's posted here on an earlier page, although I have no idea which.  Does anyone know?

Tomovoz

« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2004, 10:20:43 PM »

Films: I think I may be one of the only two people on the planet not to have seen "E.T."
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2004, 10:21:11 PM »

I did, BK, its absolutely stunning!  Looking forward to publication!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up