Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN  (Read 36329 times)

Ginny

Re:THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 06:08:08 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today is the actual last  (half) day for my manager to work here  :'(.

TOD - My recurring librarian dream involves not being able to get all the people out of the building at closing time.  I don't have that one as much as I used to, because I'm not really responsible for that task anymore.  My absolute worst dream was during the first Persian Gulf war in the early '90s:  a very clear picture of DH Richard standing at our kitchen sink in battle fatigues saying goodbye to our preschool-age son.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 06:08:47 AM »

TOD:

I have a number of recurring dreams.  There's my tornado dream, in which I see a tornado  rapidly approaching my house (I always wake up before it strikes.)  There's the dreams about my dad, in which he reveals that he is still alive after all these years and that his death was just a joke he was pulling on all of us.  There's the dream in which someone is trying to force their way into my house and I have to get to the front door in time to close and lock it.

There's my theatre dream, in which I find myself at a college reunion party of my old theatre department.  But to my confusion and horror, I find that it's not just a party--we are reviving a production of a Shakespeare play and I am fully expected to perform and I am in no way prepared.

There's my alien invasion dreams, which are so much like the movie SIGNS that I should have sued.  

My least favorite dreams were sort of like DR Singdaw's--I'm trying to climb the stairs in my high school or one of the buildings in college and my legs are like lead--I have to pull myself up on the railings and it's almost impossible to ascend the steps.  It's been a long long time since I had that dream, thank Buddha!

Aside from those dreams that I can't really talk about here (this being a family site and all), my favorite dreams are my flying dreams.  Now I have some that are merely so-so--I just sort of float over the floor and I can only move if I push myself off of objects and I don't go very far.  But there are wonderful dreams in which I can soar way up in the sky, over the roof tops and trees in my neighborhood.  I sometimes find myself flying above the Jersey Pine Barrens, swooping over the forests and skimming and splashing over the wetlands.  I love having those dreams!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 06:14:07 AM »

More TOD:

There's also my hidden room dream.  It takes place either in my own home or in some vacation house in which I'm staying.  I find that there's a space at the cornor of a room that I can slip through and I find a hidden room or whole wing that, while dusty and unused, is very comfortable and cozy and secluded.  I liek those dreams a lot, too.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 06:14:34 AM »

HOW MANY TIMES do I have to tell you...you CANNOT borrow my red pumps!

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2007, 06:15:28 AM »

DR JRand56 is going to be working overtime today, given the TOD!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

Has anyone ever tried lucid dreaming?  It's where you make yourself aware that you are dreaming while you are still dreaming and you make whatever you what to happen occur in your dream.  The two or three times that I was actually able to do this led to the kind of dreams I can't discuss here.  But it's been suggested to me that I should attempt it in my more anxiety-ridden dreams and perhaps fly up into the oncoming tornado or to welcome in and embrace whoever it is that is trying to force their way into my front door.  I don't know if I have the guts to do that, even in my dreams.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2007, 06:24:40 AM »

DR JRand56 is going to be working overtime today, given the TOD!

LOL--I was thinking that same exact thing.  The Dream-o-matic 3000 is going to see a lot of activity today, not to mention his PayPal account.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »

Now I can't get Debbie Gibson singing "Only In My Dreams" out of my head.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:59 AM »

Has anyone ever tried lucid dreaming?  It's where you make yourself aware that you are dreaming while you are still dreaming and you make whatever you want to happen occur in your dream.  The two or three times that I was actually able to do this led to the kind of dreams I can't discuss here.

DR Dan (the Man) - Very interesting line of questioning.  I didn't know that it had a name, and wasn't consciously invoking it, but I have had that experience a few rare times, in the same circumstances.  It was kind of weird and kind of wonderful!  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:40:49 AM by singdaw »

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »

40 years ago today, my mother took me for my first visit to New York City.  I still have the detailed daily diary I kept on New York Hilton stationery and am about to send Mom an email that includes Blue Gobo clips from the 2 Broadway shows we saw:  Cabaret (original cast) and Funny Girl (with Mimi Hines).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »

DR Ginny - that is so cool!    8)     :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:01 AM »

Has anyone ever tried lucid dreaming?  It's where you make yourself aware that you are dreaming while you are still dreaming and you make whatever you what to happen occur in your dream.  The two or three times that I was actually able to do this led to the kind of dreams I can't discuss here.  But it's been suggested to me that I should attempt it in my more anxiety-ridden dreams and perhaps fly up into the oncoming tornado or to welcome in and embrace whoever it is that is trying to force their way into my front door.  I don't know if I have the guts to do that, even in my dreams.

I have experienced dreams in which I saw or met people I would "later" meet and get to know very well.  I have had dreams in which I got some closure by speaking with "deceased" friends (never a relative, though).  I have had dreams in which I worked out my feelings about various people, finding myself in a typical situation with that person in which I felt conflicted, only to find myself at a remove and aware of the source of my conflicts.  The dream (or my subconscious) was bitch-slapping me into seeing these people for who or what they were/are.

I have tried giving myself dream-inducing instructions, stating what it was I wanted to dream about and what I wanted the dream to resolve for me.  To date, though, none of those "dream-it-and-solve-it" demands have been fruitful.

Happily, I've only wanted this kind of help a couple of times...and each issue worked itself out anyway.

Pet lovers will appreciate this:  I have had dreams about my cats.  My last was a couple of weeks before Miss Vickie passed on.  My dearly departed cat Dickens, for whom I adopted Miss Vickie as a companion, came to me in a dream.  He was walking around the condo, scoping things out.  Vickie was asleep in her bed.  I uttered a shout of "Dickens! Is that you?"  Dickens walked over to me and jumped into my lap.  He put his paws on my chest and looked me in the eyes.  I stroked him and he purred.  I could tell he had a message for me.  I sensed, and then asked him, if he were "here" to get Vickie!  He vanished, and I woke up.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:55 AM »

Now I can't get Debbie Gibson singing "Only In My Dreams" out of my head.

That's infinitely preferable to having "You Light Up My Life" sung by Debbie Boone going through your head!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2007, 06:43:37 AM »

Edi, Glen Hansard does indeed look like the "Early Tymes" Nilsson. Though on a couple tunes he sounds like Cat Stevens.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »

Well, it's time to put on some working duds and get out the door for my last workday of the week.

11:06 a.m. marks the "official" arrival of summer on the West Coast...so says the local news.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:45:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:13 AM »

That's infinitely preferable to having "You Light Up My Life" sung by Debbie Boone going through your head!

Are you kidding? "You Light Up My Life" is so good I wish the person who wrote it would do a whole Broadway show. It would be a guaranteed success.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:44 AM »

Ron is going do-mi-do-ing in his do-mi-do duds!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »

I sometimes have dreams about the rock band Heart. These dreams go on when I close my eyes. Every second of the night I live another life.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:06 AM »

DR Ginny - that is so cool!    8)     :)

Yeah, it was a real dream come true!  Even though I'm about to visit NYC for the 14th time, nothing will top the excitement of that first trip!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »

I have a number of recurring dreams.  There's my tornado dream, in which I see a tornado  rapidly approaching my house (I always wake up before it strikes.)  There's

There's my alien invasion dreams, which are so much like the movie SIGNS that I should have sued.  

Two of my most memorable dreams:  I can't recall whether I was in college at the time of the dream or whether it happened after college....but I was "at" college and it was a cold wintry day.  The news was dire....all were out of classes and watching TV as international tensions reached a breaking point.  The news told us that weapons had been launched and that we should seek shelter.  I remember feeling a sense of dread and longing.  It started snowing and I wondered how long before the snow would be radioactive.  I wanted to be with my parents and realized I would never see them again.

Another dream from the 1980s....I was back in the early 1960s in a house we lived in with a huge picture window out of which we could see the night sky.  The news announced "visitors"...and then I witnessed the moving lights in the sky.  I felt hopeful.  My father, however, appeared to be wary and frightened.  I remember telling my parents I thought this would be the start of a new age.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2007, 06:52:28 AM »

Are you kidding? "You Light Up My Life" is so good I wish the person who wrote it would do a whole Broadway show. It would be a guaranteed success.

May that dream be granted for you.  

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »

Here are the clips I just sent to my mother.  Hope she can figure out to open them, especially with her dial-up Internet connection  :P

Cabaret

Funny Girl

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2007, 06:57:03 AM »

He's on his own this morning, heading uptown to the Empire State Building and the areas around 34th Street (Macy's, etc).

Ask him to keep an eye out for my wallet! :)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2007, 06:58:32 AM »

May that dream be granted for you.  

I dreamed it already happened.

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2007, 06:59:13 AM »

Edisaurus

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2007, 07:06:22 AM »

Amy, so glad the CDs arrived. I think you'll enjoy them

Work has begun on the 4th CD which is actually Volume 3 of the reviews since the 3rd CD is a Special Edition of the Christmas radio interview in Cardiff.

Oh, I just love them! I got through most of CD 1 on my way to work, and actually got a bit weepy at your description of BIG RIVER (I saw the Broadway version in the '80's) and enjoyed following your trip to the UK, your birthday, etc. The host seems very fond of you and she is delightful. Thanks again!

You mentioned Daniel Jenkins from BIG RIVER. For a time, he was part of our Randy Newman internet group. He starred in the musical THE EDUCATION OF RANDY NEWMAN, where he plays a facsimile of Randy. (BK and Adriana met the creator of the show, Michael Roth, at our LA screening...he did some music for our film.) I hope to see EDUCATION..so far it's mostly played on the west coast but we hope it will hit Broadway one day. Why not?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2007, 07:14:36 AM »

Two of my most memorable dreams:  I can't recall whether I was in college at the time of the dream or whether it happened after college....but I was "at" college and it was a cold wintry day.  The news was dire....all were out of classes and watching TV as international tensions reached a breaking point.  The news told us that weapons had been launched and that we should seek shelter.  I remember feeling a sense of dread and longing.  It started snowing and I wondered how long before the snow would be radioactive.  I wanted to be with my parents and realized I would never see them again.

Another dream from the 1980s....I was back in the early 1960s in a house we lived in with a huge picture window out of which we could see the night sky.  The news announced "visitors"...and then I witnessed the moving lights in the sky.  I felt hopeful.  My father, however, appeared to be wary and frightened.  I remember telling my parents I thought this would be the start of a new age.  

Oy!  I forgot about my Reagan era nuclear nightmares!  They were similar to yours, DR Ron--hearing frightening news on the TV or radio, bright flashes of light happening off in the distance, unbearable fears of not being able to get home or of not seeing my family again.  The worst ones would actually start off benignly--I was at a picnic or at the beach with friends.  And then we would come the flashes on the horizon and the mushroom clouds growing in the direction of where Philly (or NYC) would be.

Pah-too! on such dreams!
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:31 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Old news by now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2007, 07:20:28 AM »

It's funny how we all share similar dreams. When I was young, I used to have a dream of being so tired but having to make my way somewhere, like at an airport, and I could stand up. I had to crawl there! Thankfully, I don't have that one anymore!

The last few years, I've also been dreaming of tornadoes. I am usually in some place safe but am torn between  the instinct to stay safe and the desire to watch it form and witness the destruction.

And my dream of a hidden room, which I used to have a lot, is almost exactly like DtM's. The rooms are different in different dreams, in different cities and times of life, but the feeling of discovery is always the same. A wonderful feeling.

My DH interprets this as my desire to live in a bigger house! (Mine is tiny!) He can also do lucid dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »

Good morning!

Unbelievable! It cooled off enough last night (low-60) that I cut off the A/C and turned on the attic fan and slept with fresh air! It continues this morning, too, so I am a happy camper. Of course, the summer warmth begins anew later today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up