Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING AND WANING  (Read 44073 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WAXING AND WANING
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »

Of course, it appears the flute pitches were corrected for the above appearance.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »

...Or maybe it was another flute solo in another song... ???

In any case... That songs ROCKS!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »

Aww... I had sent a little note to the casting director for Gypsy congratulating him on assembling such a great company.  And then he reminded me in his response that I was a part of the process too.  And I guess I was.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »

*Although, I still have yet to be paid for my part of the process, so maybe that's why I "forgot".  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2007, 07:33:50 PM »

I would get tickets to this concert if I wasn't concerned about getting snowed in & missing it.

An Evening With Patti LuPone

Monday, January 28, 2008, 8pm

Presented by Craterian Performances (The Ginger Rodgers Theater)

Tickets: Section A-$68, B-$62, C-$56
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:34:09 PM by Jane »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »

First Wendy's, then Pinkberry, now Magnolia Bakery!  What's going on?!?!?  Stop the madness!!!! Next thing you know, they'll be telling us there are rats that run up and down the subway tracks and sometimes on the platform stations! :-\

I, of course, blame you, DR Jose!

Charlotte called. We're seeing Harry Potter tomorrow night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »

I, of course, blame you, DR Jose!

Umm... I'm not the one who lets vagrants sleep on his fire escape!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »

I have MAGIC TIME to begin reading tonight, if I can stay away.  My eyes are burning & my vision is blurred.  I can't believe I was so wide awake last night.  I had no idea it was so late, or early, until I noticed the sky getting lighter.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »

Charlotte called. We're seeing Harry Potter tomorrow night.

I highly suggest buying your tickets in advance.  Especially for a Friday night.  One of my roomies went to the midnight showing on Wednesday morning/Tuesday night.  It had sold out a week in advance.  And all but one of the showings on Wednesday day at Times Square were sold out.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »

'night

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »

Been to too many of those girlie showers (which I hate and will turn you off to party games forever!)

Oh, Gawd, yes!! One Tupperware party was enough for the rest of my life, thank you very much! How I loathe that stuff!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »

OK... Time for an e-break...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

...Or maybe it was another flute solo in another song... ???

In any case... That songs ROCKS!

No, it's definitely sharp, but guess what?  It's because it's been "processed" (as some wise man once said).  Believe it or don't, that's legendary session flautist Bud Shank--he did his solo in two octaves and they double-tracked them, giving it that weird out of tune flavor.  You can hear producer Lou Adler talking about it if you download the file on:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/californiadreamin/index.html

which, as you may have guessed, is a whole feature on the creation of the song.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

3DDiffusion

« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »

Here's another question, for any legal beagles out there.

Composer Alexander Courage wrote the theme music to Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry wrote lyrics to that music....supposedly so that he could get half of the royalties from it.

But, there are no lyrics when the music is played on the show... so why should he get royalties from it. Shouldn't he only get royalties if someone actually recorded music and lyrics together and tried to sell that?
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

FJL

« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »

Cardholder-finding vibes to Jose

FJL

« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »

Didn't Carroll O'Connor laso write lyrics to the closing credits of ALL IN THE FAMILY and then get credit in the show's ending crawl for that even though the lyrics were never sung in the closing crawl?

Why, yes, he did.  I wonder if he made money from that, though.

Michael

« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »

One my way home I was listening to a homemade collection of songs on my cd player and the song playing as I got home was MY HEART IS SO FULL OF YOU sung by Liz Callaway and orchestrations by Mr. Larry Moore.

Absoluting breath taking in its scope and beauty. The musical bridge is gorgeous Alex Ryback's piano playing is stupendous. The simplicity of the violin &  flute (?) compliments the piano playing. It is one of my favorite pieces of music that Mr. Moore has orchestrated.

Bruce Kimmel producing and Vinnie Cirilli's engineering make it perfection. In my over 8 thousand songs on my system hard to believe that Liz Callaway's recordings (THe other is her live cabaret perfromance with her sister) are the only ones I have other than cast recordings.

I just had to say it (write it) If you have a chance to listen to it please do.

Everyone at their finest.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2007, 08:04:36 PM »

Here's another question, for any legal beagles out there.

Composer Alexander Courage wrote the theme music to Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry wrote lyrics to that music....supposedly so that he could get half of the royalties from it.

But, there are no lyrics when the music is played on the show... so why should he get royalties from it. Shouldn't he only get royalties if someone actually recorded music and lyrics together and tried to sell that?

There is also Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Bonanza (although it was sung by the cast at end of pilot and never use again) That Girl's first few season theme was sans lyrics. I am sure they all got some kind of royalities
Never stop dreaming.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2007, 08:09:43 PM »

I've had a different experience--for me, the USPS is the most reliable, and UPS had caused me to want to strangle someone there a number of times. I've also had several packages seriously damaged by them.

The only problems I've had with USPS is occasionally I will get someone else's mail, but then I take it to them.  

I've had problems with USPS, UPS, and FEDEX. Packages never delivered, lied to, damage--all exasperating. (And I'm usually a pretty patient person.) As for receiving someone else's mail, it happens all the time in my neigborhood. Yes, I take it to them or give it back to the mail carrier, but I often wonder whether I receive all of mine that's been misdelivered. I once received a letter that had been opened--and since it contained a check it was rather disconcerting.

Michael

« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »

Just found this!!!!

Footlight Closing (July 18th)- see below for details:

To one and all:

It is with deep regret that I must inform you that we will be closing on July 18th. It has been a difficult decision, but there seems to be no choice. The company was going into debt by keeping the store open. Our rent went from $2500.00 to $5000.00 then to $7000.00 and the landlord wanted to raise it again the following year. This was a dream I had since I was a kid, to own a record store. If I had closed the store sooner and not incurred such a debt then maybe we could have continued as a web-based company. . .

Even that is doubtful in today’s market. Downloading is affecting us more and more plus you have the fact that many smaller companies that produce Cast Recordings pre-sell their recordings at a discount price. This has probably cut into about 40% of our sales in cast CDs.

Last of all many of you may not realize that even though I have a direct account with companies like Sony Music I do not pay the same price as Amazon. Amazon’s cost is much less than I have to pay, so how can I compete with this unfair practice.

Most of all I would like to thank all of you that have been our regular customers and stuck by us even when you could have saved a dollar going some where else. We will miss the communications that we have had with our customers, many of you for dozens of years.

The site will be up and running through July 18th you may still order through it till the 19th. Our e-mail address sales@footlight.com will be functioning till then. After that you will be able to reach us at the same phone number 718 963 0750 (the phone number will be valid through the 18th of July) or through our old e-mail address: footlight1@aol.com. We will still be here working for weeks after the site is closed in case you have questions about your orders.

You will be able to find the balance of our stock on Amazon under the name Footlight-com.

All the best to each and every one of you now and in the future,

Ron, Arnold, Dave, Richard, Steve, & Will
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »

You have to have a co-publishing agreement.  It's not necessarily 50/50.  In the case of the Star Trek Theme, Roddenberry may have insisted on a 50/50 split to approve Courage's theme.  Sometimes, however, when a lyric is added to a previously instrumental piece, the lyricist gets much less than a 50/50 split.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »

But enough about your personal life...

LOL. Good one, Edi.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »

Lots of viewing happened tonight. I guess I was getting it out of my system since I won't be home tomorrow night at all. Some friends and I are venturing up to Winston-Salem to see the local production of THE FULL MONTY tomorrow night.

I'll be on in the morning but possibly not again until Saturday afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »

I began with a MURDER SHE WROTE episode, another JESSICA-less concoction. This was another with Keith Michell as Dennis Stanton, former jewel thief and now insurance company investigator. Also in the guest cast were Ken Swofford and Shirley Knight.

Matt H.

« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »

Next I watched the screener I received this afternoon for the upcoming British release CASHBACK. It's a charming tale of a young artist getting over a devastating break-up by taking a job in an all-night supermarket. There he meets a kooky congregation of workers one of whom helps him get over his love blues.

SInce he's an artist, he sees the world often in still life rather than motion, so those moments, and his fixation on the nude female form, propel much of the action.

I liked it. It had charm and the director had a unique way of illustrating what went on in the artist's mind, a somewhat different kind of take on Walter Mitty-like daydreams.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »

You have to have a co-publishing agreement.  It's not necessarily 50/50.  In the case of the Star Trek Theme, Roddenberry may have insisted on a 50/50 split to approve Courage's theme.  Sometimes, however, when a lyric is added to a previously instrumental piece, the lyricist gets much less than a 50/50 split.

However it happened, Courage wasn't happy about it, and apparently after the first season left the series.

I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Matt H.

« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2007, 08:32:43 PM »

Another MURDER SHE WROTE followed, and finally one with Jessica as a primary part of the story. This one had a once-mentally disturbed brother coming back to town for his sister's wedding only to have a similar murder happen again, similar to one that sent him to an institution the first time.

Big guest star cast: Shirley Jones, Doris Roberts, Robert Walker, Jr., Barbara Babcock, among others.

Matt H.

« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »

I ended the evening watching THE GAY DIVORCEE which I haven't watched all the way through in at least a decade. As it happened, I didn't get all the way through it this time either, but I'll finish it tomorrow. They were still dancing "The Continental" when I turned it off.

Matt H.

« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »

I have some writing to take care of and then it's downstairs to bed.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »

Happy Birthday Cillaliz!

I hope you have had a wonderful day!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up