Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SORRY STATE OF RANCH DRESSING IN NEW YORK  (Read 39649 times)

singdaw

Re:THE SORRY STATE OF RANCH DRESSING IN NEW YORK
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2007, 06:25:57 AM »

Well, sorry to disappoint you, DR td.  I had kind of been going along with what I thought was a joke.  The truth is, I never really intended to memorize it for performance.  I mean, I do love the song, and love to listen to it, but I think it would be really difficult to pull off.  For me, anyway.    :P

Still, I suppose it might be an interesting mental exercise.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »

Since Murder At Hollywood High will not be "officially" going up for preorder (on the Kritzerland site, where all the books will be available - no more separate website for each book) until late next week, I thought I'd just give everyone here who cares a head start - because the first twenty-five people who order will definitely be getting something special with their orders.  Books will ship upon my return or sooner (I may have someone deal with the shipping as soon as they arrive).  The ONLY place to get a signed book is at Kritzerland or here - I will do only one signing this time and that's at my usual first signing place, Bookfellows, but that won't be until mid-November.  

So, if you'd like to be one of the first to get it (I only sign the hardcovers), then you may preorder right this very minute - the hardcover is $24 (it's close to $28 elsewhere) plus $5 for Priority shipping, for a total of $29.  Payment, as always, can be made to kritzerland@adelphia.net.  Here's a description of the book as it appears on the dust jacket flap:

Teenager Adriana Hofstetter is quite possibly one of a kind. She hates all things "now"-including MySpace, cell phones, and anything trendy-and she has no use for partying, getting wasted or being stupid. She dresses in clothes from her favorite decades-the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s-much to the derision of her fellow students at Hollywood High, who think she is a joke. She's on her way to becoming the star of her journalism class. Her teachers adore her, just as much as her fellow students abhor her. She has one loyal and true friend, Billy Feldman, who is as much of an outsider as she is. She has a mother who listens to Pink Floyd, Cream, and Isaac Hayes at ear splitting levels, a peculiar cat named Furball, and an ancient, ineffectual computer that crashes if she happens to glance in its direction.

Then, one day, someone from Hollywood High is found murdered. A suspect is arrested and charged. And Adriana Hofstetter finds herself forced to become a pint-sized amateur sleuth, who, in the guise of doing a story for the school newspaper, must put all her journalism lessons to use in order to solve a murder she knows the accused didn't commit.

Murder at Hollywood High is a very funny, suspenseful mystery, replete with colorful Los Angeles locales, disbelieving detectives, suspects lurking around every locker, and a fifteen-year-old heroine who is off-the-wall, endearing and not to be messed with.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:42 AM »

Who will be the first to order?  Who will the lucky twenty-five be?  Stay tuned.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2007, 06:59:19 AM »

BK, I'm very happy that the video is proving to be some help to you with the NYMF production. I can't want to see all of the hunky bathing suit boys changes after being so familiar with the LA show!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2007, 07:03:44 AM »

DP Colin's latest pastel.  Sage is his Sister's dog.

Colin is quite talented and Sage is quite cute! (And probably very smart!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2007, 07:04:28 AM »

Not that Colin isn't cute and smart as well... :)

FJL

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »

Thanks for such well-thought-out thoughts, Ben, bk and Larry, and for your nice impish response, singdaw.  This truly is a place to air what's on one's mind and hear helpful responses.  Since rehearsals start today, this has been on my mind a bit last night and this morning

FJL

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2007, 07:11:17 AM »

singdaw - Is "it would be difficult to pull off" a euphemism?  I believe I heard that expression in England during one of my trips there in my youth.  :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2007, 07:12:58 AM »

DP Colin's latest pastel.  Sage is his Sister's dog.

Very nice work, TOMOVOZ. Please pass my compliment on to DP COLIN.

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2007, 07:13:14 AM »

singdaw - Is "it would be difficult to pull off" a euphemism?  I believe I heard that expression in England during one of my trips there in my youth.

Perhaps.

But not intentionally!

:)

And...

***1st day of rehearsal VIBES***[/color][/size]
to our DR FJL and to Skip!!!

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

The "painting" of Sage is a surprise birthday present. Photographs were taken whilst Colin's Sister was away on holidays.

The recepient of that present should be very pleased.  Compliments to artist Colin!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2007, 07:21:10 AM »

DR FJL - my only comment on the topic you introduced this morning is that my book group has much livlier discussions of the books we didn't like than of the ones we did.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »

DR Ginny...moving is not fun!  [Just ask DR Edisaurus].

***COPING VIBES*** to all involved!

It's getting a little more fun now that things are starting to fall into place. But I keep running into things I hadn't thought of---services like cable that need to be moved...where will I have my car serviced...should I get the cats identity chips in case they get loose )they are all indoor cats) and if so, before the move, when they'll be less traumatized...but they would be registered in a different county...and on and on.

And our new tentant told us about her horrible roach problem---we have never had roach problems in our house---and what should I see last night when I walked into the room filled with her stuff? A baby roach!

This sort of stuff keeps me awake at night.

I woke up at 5AM and was still worried about Freddy(ie), too! I hope he shows himself soon!

Edisaurus

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »

I thought it would be easy to move the cable service, especially since the new house is already wired. I figured they would cut it off at the old house and then we'd hook our cable box up at the new house, they'd turn off the service, and ta-da!

No.  

I can't call them to change to service over until after we move. Then and only then can I schedule an appointment to get hooked up a the new place. I can't schedule it in advance unless I start a whole new service, with deposits on several things--hi def, etc. that amounts to over $100...when I already have these services now.

Comcast is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!  

Edisaurus

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2007, 07:31:25 AM »

Starfighter first day rehearsal vibes to FJL and Skip! We're looking forward to seeing the show!

Ben

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »

As much as I dislike Time-Warner Cable of New York City one of the things they promote is "make sure your cable moves when you do" They have programs in place where all you have to do is what DR Edisaurus thought, call, let them know the date you're moving, plug in the box and presto, you have cable.

Hmm...maybe they aren't as bad as I thought

No....they are!!!

I think (IIRC) that cable providers are at the top of the list for utilities people love to hate.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2007, 07:37:25 AM »

Good morning!

I rained again later last night somewhat heavier than the sprinkling we had had in the early evening. Things did feel a bit cooler and fresher outside this morning, but it's still going to get to 90 today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2007, 07:39:20 AM »

I can't say anything negative about Time-Warner ehre in Charlotte. It's rarely faulty, and when it is, they come right out and deal with problems. When the power was down a few weeks ago, they adjusted the bill for two days of service lost. I can't complain about that!

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2007, 07:41:26 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - BROADWAY'S FAIR JULIE (thanks again, DR Elmore)

DVD - NIGHT ON EARTH (Criterion)
          STRANGER THAN PARADISE (Criterion)
          GREY'S ANATOMY - 3rd Season
          THAT GIRL - 3rd Season.

DVR - THE SLENDER THREAD
          BREAKFAST ON PLUTO

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

I have to pick up a package at the post office today (drat not being home yesterday when delivery was attempted) in addition to my other usual Friday errands.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2007, 07:45:43 AM »

And, of course, the U.S. Open Tennis matches preempt PSYCH and MONK tonight. Another drat!

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »

DR Ginny...moving is not fun!  [Just ask DR Edisaurus].

***COPING VIBES*** to all involved!

Thanks, DR Singdaw.  I'm not too involved, just need to make sure my Pontiac Vibe is available.  It's the only vehicle in our family that can be used to transport furniture.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2007, 07:56:23 AM »

My point:  we ARE more interesting when we are being negative rather than positive, especially but not only when it comes to critquing works of art or that aspire to art.

It's easy to be bitchy, it's difficult to give specific praise and to give the true proportions of a performance.

FJL, I think you're quite correct that it's easier to write about what we DON'T like than what we DO. It's easier to be specific. It's interesting to me that you bring this up today because a variation on this theme has been on my mind lately. When I read criticism--good, constructive criticism now, not name-calling or mean-spiritedness--such as DR BEN's fine post earlier today, I've been actually CHEERING! I was about to reply to BEN's post, then didn't because I thought it might be misunderstood. But since you bring up this issue, I will say it now: I am THRILLED to hear good criticism because I am oh so tired of hearing the platitudes that pass today as praise and support. I'm not referring to theatre criticism specifically, but just praise in general.

Long ago, in my Bluth Bros Theatre days, I worked with a woman who told me that her husband was a tough critic, but that was OK, because his praise really meant something. That was a lesson I've carried with me to this day. We all need praise and support, but I much prefer feedback that is meaningful and constructive, whether positive or negative.

There's a lot of emphasis today on being supportive, which is fine and good, but I notice a reluctance to say anything negative, even when appropriate. Without fair and valid criticism, how will we maintain a standard of what is really outstanding? I am concerned that with all the dumbing-down that goes on these days in the arts we will lose sight of what is truly great and wonderful. So I find myself cheering criticism at times. By looking at what is wrong with certain works I think we will gain greater insight and appreciation into others.

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »

Our Time Warner cable is on my ****list right now, because they're not carrying the new Big Ten network.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »

Friday, August 31....how can that be?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:57 AM »

Hmmmm.....

DVD:  Island of Lost Women
CD: Scissor Sisters
VHS: The Fantasticks

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2007, 08:08:12 AM »

DR CASON being rolled around on a giant beach ball?

OOM

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2007, 08:09:20 AM »

Friday, August 31....how can that be?

Boy, I surely do agree with you there! Where has this month gone.

I guess I've been in a heat stroke stupor most of the month not to have noticed how quickly it was flying by!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »

Quote from: Ben link=board=4;threadid=1492;start=msg363204#msg363204 date=118857101

I think (IIRC) that cable providers are at the top of the list for utilities people love to hate.
[quote

Cable providers and ISPs are definitely at the top of the list--and, in my experiece, with good reason.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:11:29 AM by Jeanne »

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »

And now I must hurry downstairs and get ready to go out on my Friday errands. I'm going a little earlier than usual since I'll have that package to lug from the post office, and who knows HOW long that will take to load in the car.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up