Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT NUTS  (Read 31341 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:HOT NUTS
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »

Elmore, I love that recording of the German Requiem.

I got an interesting Gardiner-conducted movie to review a few weeks ago:  it's called England, My England and is kind of a Pirandello-esque biography of Purcell, juxtaposed with scenes of actors putting on a play about Purcell.  Really glorious music, as you may imagine.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »

I always thought that the Academic Festival Overture would have made great intermission music for the Bricusse Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »

Good morning. I had a terrible shock this morning when I found out that my good friend, and off and on date, George Ulrich (from South Beach) passed away this week. I am still dumbfounded and do not yet know the details.

George was one of the kindest, smartest, sweetest people you could ever meet. He loved vintage cars and telephones (he used to work for ATandT with my sister back in the 80s and could immediately tell you the make and model and year of any phone over the last 80 years was, just by sight) and old TV shows and movies. I hadn't spoken to him in a couple of months but I know he was very happy with his new boyfriend, last I had heard.

He was someone who always had a smile on his face and a positive outlook on life and I remember how thrilled he was when he got his dog Scruffy and how he coudn't wait to show him to me.

I am going to really miss George. :'(

Here is the obit:
http://online.statesmanjournal.com/obituaries/obituary.cfm?i=35100

I am so sorry about your loss, Michael.  Hugs to you and to all those who knew him and loved him.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »

Just ordered MIRROR by Jacky Terrasson on Amazon.

Wanted to get the STREETCAR dvd....but it's $149.95!!!  Mr Gilfrey will have to wait a bit.

DR JRand57, I had no idea it was out of print!  If I run across a used copy in town, I'll pick it up for you.  You might try interlibrary loan in Indianapolis as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »

I am also about to review a simply fabulous little French/Belgian film released by First Run Features (the people who released Edi's S&V), called L'Iceberg.  My review should be live by this afternoon, but suffice it to say it is a comedic gem of the highest order and shows what a mess most American comedies have become.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »

Just ordered MIRROR by Jacky Terrasson on Amazon.

Wanted to get the STREETCAR dvd....but it's $149.95!!!  Mr Gilfrey will have to wait a bit.

DRs, this is all BK's misspelling: it's Gilfry, not Gilfrey, but I - of course - blame DR Jose.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »

Condolences, Mike.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »

Good morning. I had a terrible shock this morning when I found out that my good friend, and off and on date, George Ulrich (from South Beach) passed away this week. I am still dumbfounded and do not yet know the details.

George was one of the kindest, smartest, sweetest people you could ever meet. He loved vintage cars and telephones (he used to work for ATandT with my sister back in the 80s and could immediately tell you the make and model and year of any phone over the last 80 years was, just by sight) and old TV shows and movies. I hadn't spoken to him in a couple of months but I know he was very happy with his new boyfriend, last I had heard.

He was someone who always had a smile on his face and a positive outlook on life and I remember how thrilled he was when he got his dog Scruffy and how he coudn't wait to show him to me.

I am going to really miss George. :'(

Here is the obit:
http://online.statesmanjournal.com/obituaries/obituary.cfm?i=35100

Michael, I'm sure you feel as though someone's punched you in the stomach and pulled out your heart.  Have a good cry is the only cheap advice I can offer you at the moment. I am so sorry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

Elmore, I love that recording of the German Requiem.

I got an interesting Gardiner-conducted movie to review a few weeks ago:  it's called England, My England and is kind of a Pirandello-esque biography of Purcell, juxtaposed with scenes of actors putting on a play about Purcell.  Really glorious music, as you may imagine.

John Eliot Gardiner is also the conductor on the BBC production of THE BEGGAR'S OPERA starring Roger Daltry.  It's one of my favorite DVDs with a great cast.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:49 AM »

The Gilfry Streetcar is one of the DVDs that I just checked out from my library, along with his Wonderful Town and L'inganno Felice.  

The other DVD is Ragtime, which I'm inspired to watch by the book I'm about to finish:  An Illuminated Life:  Belle da Costa Greene's Journey from Prejudice to Privilege, by Heidi Ardizzone.  It's the bio of the first librarian of the Morgan Library.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »

The only Opera DVD/CD available in Indiana are the Grand Ole Opry....and it ain't the same thing.

I have been thinking about your link from MAD MEN to TWO FOR THE SEESAW, DR ELMORE....and you may be onto something there.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

The Gilfry Streetcar is one of the DVDs that I just checked out from my library, along with his Wonderful Town and L'inganno Felice.  

The other DVD is Ragtime, which I'm inspired to watch by the book I'm about to finish:  An Illuminated Life:  Belle da Costa Greene's Journey from Prejudice to Privilege, by Heidi Ardizzone.  It's the bio of the first librarian of the Morgan Library.

STREETCAR, huh?  Then I guess you will be seeing more of Mr. Gilfry!

RAGTIME is such an amazing work.  An awesome book, a powerful movie, and one of the greatest musicals of all-time.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »

The only Opera DVD/CD available in Indiana are the Grand Ole Opry....and it ain't the same thing.

DR JRand - check the catalog at the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library - you'll be surprised!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2007, 10:45:13 AM »

DR JRand - check the catalog at the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library - you'll be surprised!

LOL......I am sure you are right.

I just found a copy of the VHS version of the STREETCAR opera for $9 including shpg.....so if the Amazon seller really has it, I should have it is a week or so.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2007, 11:02:23 AM »

Time to get ready for the theatre!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »

I am also about to review a simply fabulous little French/Belgian film released by First Run Features (the people who released Edi's S&V), called L'Iceberg.  My review should be live by this afternoon, but suffice it to say it is a comedic gem of the highest order and shows what a mess most American comedies have become.

Just added it to my Netflix queue. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the recommendation, DR JMK.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, that was painless.  Relatively. ;)

We had 45 people auditioning for grad school programs this morning.  There were about 15 colleges and universities in a attendance.  Sadly, I believe there were a few people this morning who may have ended up not getting a "callback' or interview this afternoon.

-I mean... You're auditioning for graduate school.  You're auditioning for possible scholarship money... So.... Why they hell would you come into this morning's audition so amazingly and appallingly unprepared?!?!?!?

After my initial briefing, I ran a group warm-up, and then went ahead and took a sneak-peak at the music they were singing for their auditions.  I was able to check tempos ahead of time, and we ran the first couple of measures of each song.  Well, more than one person came up to the piano, asked me to play their intro, then commented, "Could you play that again?  That's the first time I've heard that."  WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?  And, of course, it sounded like it was the first time they had even practiced with an accompanist.  Some people didn't realize their cuts were wrong, bad or awkward.  Others did not realize that their music was in the wrong key - that it was not in the same key as the cast recording.  And others were obviously to emulate a certain rendition of the song that had no relation to the music they put in front of me.  -Or all of the above.

Not only do I question the students who came in unprepared, but I also have to question the faculty member(s) who advised and coached them.  And signed their forms!  It's something that always makes me mad - STOP wasting your student's money!  Don't "make" them pay registration fees, buy plane tickets and pay for hotel rooms unless they're going to have a positive experience.  Not only are you doing a disservice to your students, but you're also doing a disservice to your school and your program.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

Rant Over.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »

RAGTIME is such an amazing work.  An awesome book, a powerful movie, and one of the greatest musicals of all-time.

Yep, it's among my favorites in all 3 categories.  Haven't seen the movie for many years (maybe even since it was in the theatres), so I'm looking forward to it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »

DR MBarnum - So sorry to hear about the death of your friend.  At least you found out sooner rather than later, and, hopefully, you can join his family and loved ones at his funeral.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »

And for lunch, I headed back to Mert's.  Since they were still serving Brunch, I had a Low Country Omelet - salmon, shrimp and cheese - accompanied by a biscuit and home fries.  And Sweet Tea, of course. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2007, 11:26:12 AM »

DR JRand - Did you see Miss Vickie last night?  -Or was that the night before?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »

~~~~~RECOVERY AND HEALING VIBES TO DR MICHAEL S~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »

And, yes, I believe DR MattH and I will be meeting and supping tomorrow.  In the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »

...It's time for a nap.  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »

Rant Over.

DR Jose - could the experience that inspired this rant be attributed to the "American Idol" effect?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

Not only do I question the students who came in unprepared, but I also have to question the faculty member(s) who advised and coached them.  And signed their forms!  It's something that always makes me mad - STOP wasting your student's money!  Don't "make" them pay registration fees, buy plane tickets and pay for hotel rooms unless they're going to have a positive experience.  Not only are you doing a disservice to your students, but you're also doing a disservice to your school and your program.

DR Jose, I am in complete agreement with you.  I've seen high school and community theatre directed by people who have no theatrical skills, and I've been stressing the need for years that teachers know some craft to pass on to their students.  It's bad enough in high chools but it's worse in college theatre and music programs when the faculty have no conception of or connection to the professional world.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:37:23 AM by elmore3003 »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, that was painless.  Relatively. ;)

We had 45 people auditioning for grad school programs this morning.  There were about 15 colleges and universities in a attendance.  Sadly, I believe there were a few people this morning who may have ended up not getting a "callback' or interview this afternoon.

-I mean... You're auditioning for graduate school.  You're auditioning for possible scholarship money... So.... Why they hell would you come into this morning's audition so amazingly and appallingly unprepared?!?!?!?

After my initial briefing, I ran a group warm-up, and then went ahead and took a sneak-peak at the music they were singing for their auditions.  I was able to check tempos ahead of time, and we ran the first couple of measures of each song.  Well, more than one person came up to the piano, asked me to play their intro, then commented, "Could you play that again?  That's the first time I've heard that."  WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?  And, of course, it sounded like it was the first time they had even practiced with an accompanist.  Some people didn't realize their cuts were wrong, bad or awkward.  Others did not realize that their music was in the wrong key - that it was not in the same key as the cast recording.  And others were obviously to emulate a certain rendition of the song that had no relation to the music they put in front of me.  -Or all of the above.

Word, DR Jose, Word!

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »

Vibes that DR Michael S feels better soon. ~~~~~~~~~

FJL

« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »

Speedy recovery vibes to Michael S
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up