Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20854 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »

Penny O just left.  We had a nice visit, sweet but short.  After she left and I returned to my computer I discovered I had to log in again.  I was rather surprised when I posted and Penny’s picture came up.

It’s nice to have you back VinTec.

SS cute story.  You made me smile.

Ann I think this family is very lucky to have you to watch their children.  

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2004, 04:54:21 PM »

WB DRs Joy and VinTek!  Joy, I'm so glad you've gone back to auditioning!  I mean, I think you'll do fine...I love your voice!

Break a leg with the Producers callbacks!  Have you been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm lately (with The Producers story arc)? Absolutely hilarious.  

Good vibes to DR Jay! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't do any better than wanting Evening Primrose, Barnum and Star! on DVD.  And the Company cast recording session.  I REALLY want to see that.  

I heard HBO is airing Elaine Stritch: At Liberty later this month!  Wee...I don't have to buy it now, I can tape it!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2004, 04:58:12 PM »

Thanks, Maya!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2004, 04:58:20 PM »

BK: I have no ide if they bought it. I left and they were still looking at it.

Jane: I'm glad I made you smile!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jane

« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2004, 05:09:48 PM »

Jane: I'm glad I made you smile!

You usually do. :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2004, 05:12:29 PM »

Limo - yes, funeral procession
Ambulance - no
Fire truck - no
Police car - yes
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2004, 05:14:04 PM »

Finished proofing and now have to type all the corrections up.  It's all pretty easy stuff - some of it annoying because it was correct in the manuscript and they should have caught their mistakes.  But, I'm still hopeful we can get all this done in one pass over the next two weeks.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2004, 05:33:03 PM »

I don't think I've ever been in a limo.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2004, 05:40:49 PM »

Been in a limo several times.  They sent me one for the DRAGONHEART premiere.  Two years ago my business manager took a bunch of us to Anaheim for the world series in a stretch limo.

Another DVD I want to see GUNGA DIN, the restored version (with Kipling) with notes and commentary by Rudy Behlmer, the only man qualified to do it.

Danise

« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2004, 05:55:21 PM »

Evening all!  :-)

Welcome to yet another Newbie!  Happy posting, VinTec!

Limo.  No.
Helicopter. No.
Police Car.   No
Ambulance.  No--but believe it or not, yesterday was the closest I ever came to it.
SUV.  All the time.  My bosses ride.
Greyhound Bus.  Yes.
City Bus-Yes. Monday through Friday and if you ever want to hear  some horror stories, just let me know.
Staten Island Ferry.  Yes.  I was in NYC for a few hours and got to ride one.
Submarine.  Yes and no.  I have been on a real one, parked at a pier as a tour and do you count the sub ride at Disney as having ridden one?

Jane said:
Thanks for the compliment Danise.  Good luck at with round 2 next week.
No compliment, Jane.  Just truth.  :)

Round 2 was yesterday afternoon.  I was given some meds in the morning and had to go back to be checked and have an Xray in the afternoon.  

Matt H said:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I like ROSE MARIE, DR Danise. One must enter into those movies knowing that those operetta conventions are going to seem silly nowadays. That's one reason why you don't see those musicals revived on Broadway. They keep bringing back FIDDLER for another round.

DRMatt.  I know I was a bit harsh.  Turning into a Simon, I guess.  :)

Jennifer said:
I don't think I've ever fallen down a flight of stairs in public. I'm curious, how many people were around. And did anybody offer to help you? (maybe some cute guys???)

When I was a little girl, I was totally AMAZED when we visited family up North and they had a 2nd story with  STAIRS (gasp!) in the HOUSE!  Can you imagine that?   I had never seen the like before.   I spent a whole afternoon going up and down it.  They found me, asleep,  on the stairs when I finely wore myself out.

Enough for one post.  

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 06:05:03 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »

1.  Ambulance.  No--but believe it or not, yesterday was the closest I ever came to it.
2.   Round 2 was yesterday afternoon.  I was given some meds in the morning and had to go back to be checked and have an Xray in the afternoon.  

1. Did I miss a post?  

2.  Is there a connection here?

The best of vibes that everything is okay.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2004, 06:05:14 PM »

Limo.  No.
Helicopter. No.
Police Car.   Yes.
Ambulance.  No.
SUV.  No.
Greyhound Bus.  Yes.
City Bus.  Yes.
New York City Taxicab.  Yes.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2004, 06:23:42 PM »

Der Brucer's been busy watching American Yodel.  Which also sums up my feelings about the show.

We did not go to see LOTR:ROTK today, deciding to put it off for one extra because we had other things that had to get done.  For example, we got me my Delaware ID card.  My photo makes me look like I'm in the slammer for some reason.  Maybe it's the rust-colored shirt, which looks kinda orange in the pic.

And we did get some of that shopping done.  Given half a chance, der Brucer can spend a fortune at Harry and David, and that's before I pitch in and help.  And he needed socks.  But not from Harry and David.

And we went looking for a boat ramp.  Not for us, for his son-in-law, who has a boat and nowhere to sink it.  We found a couple of possibilities.

And we went downtown, because by this time it was Happy Hour but everyplace that would have Happy Hour wasn't even open!  Rehoboth almost completely shuts down on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the winter.  However, we found this really nice place that serves Mediterrandean cuisine called Celsius, where we both had Kir Royale and appetizers (for him, Oysters Florentine, for me Seared Ahi with a sesame-ginger sauce.), along with a very nice chat with one of the owners.  I also recapped the plot for LOTR, as far as who was where by the end of the second film without sounding too much like an Anna Russel routine ("Remember Fafner?").

All in all, not a bad day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »

I remember Farfel.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2004, 06:55:11 PM »

Aww, thank you, BK and George for taking the time to explain and to check that info out for me. Yes, Disney has that silly vault. That part I knew. I just had no idea that The Little Mermaid was ever released on DVD. I will survive without it for now, as I still have it on tape. I am quite happy that I bought the special edition of Beauty and the Beast last year. It's my favorite Disney animated feature. What's yours?

It's taken me a while to answer, but "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid," "Snow White," "Hunchback of Notre Dame," "Aladdin" and I actually really liked "The Emperor's New Groove."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2004, 07:09:47 PM »

Here's my choices for deeveedees unreleased:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.   Russ Meyer's masterpiece!
The Silent Partner, starring Eliott Gould and Christopher Plummer.  It's an utterly perfect thriller, which few people have seen.  It's also known as Think of a Number.
I Was a Teenage Werewolf/I Was a Teenage Frankenstein.  I know it's cheating a bit, but these two movies are just made for a double-feature deeveedee.
Murders in the Rue Morgue, starring Bela Lugosi.  The movie really isn't very good, but it has one of my favorite Lugosi performances.  
She.  Ursula Andress.  Score by James Bernard.  One of the very best films Hammer ever made.

The Silent Partner was great!! Plummer was fantastic in the film and it had to have one of the most unusual murders I have ever seen in a movie.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2004, 07:13:57 PM »

Question: How many of you have ridden in a limo? I'm guessing all, but you never know. I learned the other day that my uncle hasn't ever been in a limo, nor seen one in "real life". Kind of strange, don't you think?

For my niece's 16th birthday, she and several of her friends got a limo ride for an hour.  I've seen many limos and driven next to them on the freeway, but I've never been in one.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Emily

« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »

To answer Jennifer's Question:

I have the unfortunate habit of falling down stairs all the time (and can't even claim Danise's excuse of novelty since I have always lived in a house with multiple stories)

Last winter I tripped on a patch of ice at the top of the stairs outside of the Arts Building at McGill.  I actually FLEW through the air and landed on my side on the asphalt at the bottom.  Now THAT was painful.

The offending steps are dead centre (note that McGill students today are not dressed like the people from this... er... period picture):

As for observers doing anything, I don't think anyone noticed my fall at the metro station and I can remember saying "ow" about 5 seconds after the fall and then getting up and walking away.  The McGill trip illicited some genuine concern from onlookers as well as a smattering of mocking applause from the smokers who congregate in that location (which of course made me stand up and bow in true joking fashion all while saying "ow ow ow ow ow ow" in my head)

Thanks again everyone for the good vibes but I think I might just survive.  Until the next time my old nemesis shows up again...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Michael

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2004, 07:14:50 PM »

I saw somewhere that new Faces of 1952 is out on DVD. Is it a public domain source or is it a proper transfer to DVD?

Anyone know how such MGM films like Royal Wedding and Till the Clouds Roll By fell into public domain? I would think that the music is still under copyright that would at least allow MGM to regain ownership
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2004, 07:25:03 PM »

Oh yeah, never ridden in anything exciting..no limo, no fire truck, police car, or ambulance...not even a helicopter...

When my dad was in the army, he took a few lessons on how to fly a helicopter.  I think it may have been an introductory course, just in case he needed to land the thing if he and the pilot were shot at...when he was stationed in Viet Nam for a year during the war.

George

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2004, 07:30:46 PM »

I really don't and won't buy that many DVDs. I spend more time listening to music than watching movies. I will certainly buy "Star" when it it released. It would be wonderful if some of those "made for TV" musicals were to be released on DVD. I would certainly buy "Applause" and "Evening Primose" would be  a must have. "Barnum" with Michael Crawford should surely get a DVD release too.

"Barnum" with Michael Crawford has been released on DVD.  I have it!

Jay

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2004, 07:35:40 PM »

I have just finished watching our President's State of the Union address, Dear Readers, and the only logical conclusion I can arrive at is that I must move to Canada without delay.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 07:41:41 PM by Jay »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2004, 07:43:40 PM »

Agreed.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Michael

« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »

To there person who wanted It's a Bird, It's a Plane, it's Superman on DVD. Are you relying on your memory of the tv special? I have it on video tape and watch it recently it was sooooooooo bad. I really don't know who would want it. And it is not a true representation of the stage show.
Never stop dreaming.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »

I have just finished watching our President's State of the Union address, Dear Readers, and the only logical conclusion I can arrive at is that I must move to Canada without delay.
LOL!!!!

Jane

« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2004, 07:46:25 PM »

Jay - LOL

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2004, 07:56:45 PM »

The Silent Partner was great!! Plummer was fantastic in the film and it had to have one of the most unusual murders I have ever seen in a movie.
I agree that THE SILENT PARTNER is an excellent film. When I think of it I always feel a bit spooked. And not just because the movie is scary... Celine Lomez, who played Gould's girlfriend and is the victim of the "unusual murder" you mention, subsequently starred in a CBC movie I wrote and my ex-husband directed. She was cast because of her performance in Silent Partner. Well, this particular movie was cursed. Never have so many horrible things happened on any shoot I've been involved with. I won't list the whole range of horrors, but will mention the primary one. Celine played a model. We shot a runway sequence in a kind of open mall surrounded by apartments. The lead model in the sequence was an actual model, not an actress - a gorgeous young woman. She and I talked a bit during breaks and she was sweet as well as beautiful.  During the modeling sequence, I noticed many people in the surrounding apartments, watching from their windows.
That night, my husband and I had the news on, with no sound. I glanced over at the set and noticed something familiar - it was the modeling sequence from the film. How the hell did that get on the late news? And why? We turned up the sound just in time to hear the news reader say that the lead model in the sequence had been murdered!
After I got over the shock I began to theorize that it must've been one of the onlookers - shades of Rear Window.
As it turned out, the poor young woman had let some kind of phone repair man into her apartment and he killed her.
Sorry for the long gory tale - but the mention of Silent Partner brought it back into my head.

Jay

« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2004, 07:58:01 PM »

While you're all LOL, I'm COLABMHATWATSATTVAATST (crying out loud and banging my head against the wall and throwing shoes at the TV all at the same time.)

Panni

« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2004, 07:59:42 PM »

Now everyone will be wanting to marry me to get Canadian citizenship!

Panni

« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2004, 08:03:28 PM »

Jay, were you actually expecting something that wouldn't make you bang your head against the wall?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up