Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20859 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

There are some stories abour Fireman and Policeman that I am sure will not be posted. LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2004, 12:59:44 PM »

I slid down the fire pole but have never ridden in the truck.  How fun!  Gosh, I hope it was just for fun.  Were the sirens going?
Yes, the sirens were going.  It was indescribably exciting.  It was mid-December, 2002, when I co-captained a group of singers to go caroling at firehouses above 100th street.  It was getting late and we were only at 139th, so they gave us a ride to the next two houses and then back home.  We also got to slide down a firepole.  They had built a fake chimney around their pole with a fireplace at the bottom, so that when you exited the pole hole you popped out of the fireplace.  How cute is that?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2004, 01:07:01 PM »

Very cute and it sounds like great fun.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »

It wasn't my first ride in a police car, but only because I was babysitting for a family once, and the father was a cop. He drove me home in the cruiser, it was kind of interesting to look at.

I've ridden a fire engine before as well, but that was for a parade, where I was supposed to be one of Santa's friends. The only thing I remember was being FREEZING and wanting to leave.

Question: How many of you have ridden in a limo? I'm guessing all, but you never know. I learned the other day that my uncle hasn't ever been in a limo, nor seen one in "real life". Kind of strange, don't you think?

Once I was babysitting for a family on the mothers 40th birthday. They had rented a limo that was an extended Ford Explorer (VERY cool). I arrived early to give them time to get ready, and the driver took me and the kids to DQ for ice cream. It was fun to have people peering through the windows, wondering if there was a celebrity or politician inside. When a 16 year old and 3 kids popped out, they looked rather dissapointed.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »

"The Prisoner of Zenda" (1937) -- Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Raymond Massey

"The Gang's All Here" -- 20th Century-Fox musical with Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda

"That Lady in Ermine" -- 20th Century-Fox musical with Betty Grable and Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

"A Royal Scandal" -- Ernst Lubitsch farce for 20th Century-Fox with Tallulah Bankhead and William Eythe.

"With A Song in My Heart" -- 1952 -- 20th Century-Fox musical biography of Jane Froman with Susan Hayward, Rory Calhoun, Thelma Ritter and David Wayne.

ALL the Andy Hardy films from MGM (pre-Rooney's going off to WWII).

All the RKO Astaire-Rogers films, including MGM's "The Barkleys of Broadway".

"El Cid" in full stereo, widescreen splendor.

"The VIPs"

...to name a few....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:13:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2004, 01:20:36 PM »

Good vibes to DR Jay! ~~~~~~~~~~~

And Swishy your mom sounds smart ;)
(seriously though, sometimes the bad auditions really hurt my ears!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2004, 01:31:30 PM »

Oh!  DRRON reminded me:

A TALE OF TWO CITIES with Dirk Bogarde available in a Region 2 Deluxe Disc....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Police Car - yes
Fire Truck - no
Limo - yes
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2004, 01:31:42 PM »

DR DerBrucer said: "If you don't have it, we would be glad to loan you "BAMBI" on LD so you could do "whatever"."

Thanks. I have BAMBI on laserdisc as well as CINDERELLA,  LADY AND THE TRAMP, POCAHONTAS, HERCULES, and several other Disney treats, and if my laserdisc machine is indeed giving up the ghost, all of these will be replaced as soon as possible/available. In fact, I found a used HERCULES DVD for $8 just the other day and got it.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2004, 01:33:43 PM »

Yes, indeed, good vibes to DR Jay on the employment opportunity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2004, 01:34:58 PM »

Great idea, DR td, about issuing SONG OF THE SOUTH in a Disney tin. I can tell you now they would be snapped up so fast, Disney wouldn't know what hit them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2004, 01:39:47 PM »

Yes to the limo - HEAR THAT Uncouth Interlopers - YES TO THE LIMO (they'll understand).

Now, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually reads the NOTES anymore - after all, in the old days someone would have been all over me so fast for not posting the winners and answers to the trivia contest.  Makes you wonder, don't it?

Answers and winners tomorrow, Comedy Tonight.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2004, 01:41:24 PM »

Swishy, it's funny you should ask about who has ridden in a limo before.  The other night DH Noel and I went to a wedding in Central Park, and when we were ready to go, their driver took us to the subway station in a limo.  When we got in Noel said to me, "Honey, have you ever been in a limo before?"  I looked at him for a minute and then said, "Yeah, we rode back to our hotel in one after our wedding."  Hee hee

I've also been in limos on other occasions:  My first New Year's Eve after I turned 21, my Dad hired a limo to drive us around Lake Tahoe and Reno with my stepmother and a bunch of their friends.  We drank ourselves silly and barhopped all over town and eventually ended up at the Peppermill for breakfast at about 4am.  That was a great night.  Another occasion was the closing night of a production of SOUND OF MUSIC.  The producers sent limos to pick us up at the stage door and take us to the airport, where we flew home.  

Living in New York, though, we see limos driving around so often that by this time I've learned that 9 times out of 10, it's probably nobody more famous than a bunch of bachelorette party-goers.

So what happened to karma?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2004, 01:46:49 PM »

Thanks Jack for the Bogarde reference. Thank goodness once again I live in a region anything zone! Not sure that I would buy the movie - it was a favourite from my childhood - but it will probably be released here in OZ. I can still remember the sound of screaming Peacocks used so effectively in the film.
Dirk was IMHO one of the finest actors of his generation.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2004, 01:47:33 PM »

Actually, I was thinking about bringing up the Electronic Hat, MR BK, but I thought maybe you had been frazzled by the Pajama Party and the galleys and just hadn't had time ....  so I will be the first but not the last to ask in spite of your last post...

Who is the winner of the sparkling prize for answering the trivia question?  And I think everyone who entered should also ask, so that MR BK will feel that things are as they should be?

And what is the sparkling prize?

So true TOMOVOZ - and that is my favorite version of the tale.  I have the video, and yes the peacocks are terrifying....Christopher Lee is so good as the Count....and Dirk is so young and handsome that his wastral ways are a heartrending loss of a human life...and his final sacrifice all the more touching, because his scenes with Dorothy Tutin as Lucy Manette Evremonde are so full of longing....*sigh*  One of my favorite of all movies!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:50:06 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2004, 01:50:11 PM »

SS where does your uncle live that he has never seen a limo?  

It has been a long time, not that I miss it, but I have ridden in a number of limos.  The first time was the most exciting.  I think I was 16 and we were on our way to a Beatle’s concert at the Hollywood Bowl.  I have never been a fan of The Beatle’s but the entire experience was great.  I spent more time watching, and laughing at the audience than the concert.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:02:39 PM by Jane »

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2004, 01:51:50 PM »

Swishy unfortunately at this moment, the only limos I can think of that I've driven in were for funerals :(

Ha, DR Joy, that is funny that DR Noel forgot about the wedding limo. Bad, bad!

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2004, 01:52:35 PM »

The movie I wish were out on DVD in letterbox is "Sorcerer" by Billy Friedkin and soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, starring Roy Scheider. Wow! And since they've just released one of Freidkin's other great movies (To Live and Die in L.A.) I'd imagine a letterboxed Sorcerer should be next.

Dave in the Valley
Dave in the Valley

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2004, 01:53:56 PM »

Dare I say this here?  We don’t collect DVD’s.  

You are not alone, Jane. I own maybe 6 or 7. My DVD player is iffy at best, so I've never gone out of my way to buy DVD's. My daughter owns hundreds, however.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2004, 01:57:05 PM »

Dirk....

Darling, Song Without End, Doctor in the House, Victim and so many more!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:57:28 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2004, 01:58:15 PM »

Ha, DR Joy, that is funny that DR Noel forgot about the wedding limo. Bad, bad!

Or a compliment.  Maybe he was simply on cloud nine.  ;)  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2004, 01:58:53 PM »

Welcome to Dave in the Valley....the valley so low.

DRJANE - I hope you mean the BEATLES.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:59:41 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2004, 02:01:12 PM »

Panni I appreciate having a good DVD player.  The picture is far superior to a tape.  I just don’t feel a need to collect them, nor do I need to accumulate more of anything.  Netflix makes a difference since we never need to go to a video store, we just use the postal service.

Panni

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2004, 02:04:35 PM »

Swishy - Yes to limos, no to fire engines, yes to police car.
In doing research for the film I'm working on, I got to ride around in a police car in the area with the highest crime rate in LA. They gave me a bullet proof vest and I had to sign a disclaimer saying, in effect, my survivors wouldn't sue if I were offed. I survived, obviously. It was actually quite interesting -- and very sad.
You left out ambulances. Yes to ambulances.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2004, 02:05:38 PM »

DRJANE - I hope you mean the BEATLES.  ;D

I knew this would happen.  :-[  I had Bea and of course spell check, which I usually use, changed it.  I checked on google and found both spellings which confused me even more.  Then I found, what I thought, was the correct spelling and used it even though my brain was saying no way.  I told you I’m not a fan.

Robin

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2004, 02:07:15 PM »

Here's my choices for deeveedees unreleased:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.   Russ Meyer's masterpiece!
The Silent Partner, starring Eliott Gould and Christopher Plummer.  It's an utterly perfect thriller, which few people have seen.  It's also known as Think of a Number.
I Was a Teenage Werewolf/I Was a Teenage Frankenstein.  I know it's cheating a bit, but these two movies are just made for a double-feature deeveedee.
Murders in the Rue Morgue, starring Bela Lugosi.  The movie really isn't very good, but it has one of my favorite Lugosi performances.  
She.  Ursula Andress.  Score by James Bernard.  One of the very best films Hammer ever made.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2004, 02:07:26 PM »

My problem is that I'm a fan of so many movies that I want to have them here ready to play at a moment's notice.

But that's called having no life, and I guess I fall into that category. Actually, I hav a very full life, but in off-times when I'm not doing a show and most of TV is reruns, those DVDs are godsends.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2004, 02:07:40 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME DAVE IN THE VALLEY![/move]

Where in the Valley do you hail from?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:11:49 PM by Jane »

Panni

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2004, 02:11:03 PM »

nor do I need to accumulate more of anything.  
I can understand that! When I moved recently, it was into a much smaller space, so I had to get rid of so much STUFF. Which really made me think about all the things we own. Far, far too much. I'm trying now not to accumulate more. I know I'll be living in a bigger space one of these days, but I don't want to fill it up with things I don't really need. What's the point? And I'm not criticizing all you collectors out there. Just talking about me.

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »

There are some stories abour Fireman and Policeman that I am sure will not be posted. LOL

MY lips are sealed!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2004, 02:13:23 PM »

Penny O just called from Grants Pass, which means she should be here within the hour.  She is just stopping by for a short visit before continuing on her journey to L.A.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up