Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE  (Read 50183 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:12 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a wild ride, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently eating toad stew.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:52:30 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:25:41 PM »

And the word of the day is: COCKSHUT!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:51:55 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm... The word of the day.... Hmm...  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:02:59 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I've had to deal with some delayed and one or two cancelled flights, but nothing really sticks in my mind as nightmarish.  However, I do remember having to fly out of DCA/Reagan-National a few years ago.  We were starting the domestic leg of the auditions for Universal Studios - the first leg took place in Australia.  In fact, I had to fly on September 11 too.

I was still living in Richmond at the time, so I had planned to get up early, drive to DC, park my car at my parents' house and take the Metro to the airport.  Well, of course, I had stayed up very late the night before packing and getting things ready for my trip - I would be gone for three weeks.  Thankfully, I had had the foresight to request an afternoon flight down to Orlando... When I woke up it was around 10:30 - and my flight was scheduled to leave at 1:30...  Washington-National... And I was still in Richmond.

Needless to say, I was also thankful that everything had been packed the night before.  I gathered everything up, put my bags in the car and started up 95.  It was a very nice day, and there was no traffic.  None at all.  There were a few times when I pushed the speed limit, but I was fine anyway.  I got to the airport about 100 minutes later - it was 100 miles door to door.  Parked the car in the long-term parking lot, and headed for the terminal.  And, I guess because it was a September 11, the plane was almost empty.  Lots of room to spread out.

Whew!

*However, the truly worst part of the trip was when I flew back home from Los Angeles, and had to pay to get my car out of the parking lot after it had been there for 21 days... :-\  -And I also seem to recall that for some reason, I flew back in Dulles, so my sister-in-law picked me up there, and then drove me to DCA to pick my car up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:09:35 AM »

And as for the best travel experience, well that would have had to  been the flights to and from Australia.  Not only was it my first (and only, so far) time flying to Australis, but it was also my first time flying Business Class.  -And for the 14-hour flight from LAX to Sydney, well, that was truly wonderful.  *And I still remember that it took me a while to realize that the drinks were gratis.  "White wine, please." :)

The return flights were particular nice.  From Syndey to San Francisco, I got sort of upgraded to the "upper deck" where the seats are just two across, and there were only four rows.  It was like our own little private club.  And then after going through customs in San Francisco, and making a brief stop at the United Club to freshen up, I got upgraded to Business Class for the trip from SFO to IAD - the domestic flights were supposed to be in coach.

*And I also had my one carry-on with me that contained 17 pounds of Australian chocolates and other goodies - including Anzac biscuits and Tim-Tams.  And Freddo Frogs!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:11:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »

Well, it's 4:15am here on the East Coast.. Guess I should try to get to bed...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »

OSCAR BUZZ

LATIMES

Helena Bonham Carter, 'Sweeney Todd'

A lead actress nominee a decade ago for one of her signature period pieces ("The Wings of the Dove"), Carter stars in this lavish screen version of Stephen Sondheim's 1979 Tony-sweeping musical, directed by her longtime romantic partner, Tim Burton. Carter is Mrs. Lovett, purveyor of the worst pies in London, a meaty role that won Angela Lansbury her fourth Tony. Johnny Depp plays the title character, the demon barber of Fleet Street, while Sacha Baron Cohen is his nemesis.

(Limited – Dec. 21; wide – Jan. 11)
(DreamWorks Pictures)

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:24:30 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:23:40 AM »

EMMY BUZZ

LATIMES

Emmywatch 2008: Is 'Chuck' too young, too hip?
"Chuck" scored well with both Nielsen families and critics last Monday, coming in second in the competitive early evening time slot and at 74 on Meta Critic. However, Emmy voters might think the spy spoof, created by Josh Schwartz ("The O.C."), too lightweight even for the comedy category.

While veteran actors John Lithgow and Tony Shalhoub won multiple Emmys playing comic oddballs in "3rd Rock from the Sun" and "Monk," Zachary Levi could be considered too young and too hip by those older TV academy voters. But if the show catches on, look for Levi to be a possible nominee at the Golden Globes. After all, the HFPA has always been much more welcoming to TV frosh than the Emmys. And reviews singled out the actor for the lion's share of praise.

USA Today's Robert Bianco said, "everyday superheroes are, of course, a recurring TV fantasy, but seldom has the genre shown as much pluck as 'Chuck,' and seldom has it found a more agreeable hero than Zachary Levi.

Best known for his stint as a snot on 'Less Than Perfect,' Levi needs only a few minutes here to convince you of his wider range and lay claim on breakout stardom."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 01:26:38 AM »

Maybe in your house!

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »

Even in "Cattle Class' the drinks are free DR Jose - at least with Qantas and British Awful airlines.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 01:33:15 AM »

Most annoying flight related experience was having my luggage locks (the keyed and combination type) being opened and one of the locks being replaced with someone else's lock (and combination!). No doubt it was annoying for the recipient of my lock too!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 01:34:14 AM »

TODAY'S CAPTION CONTEST

Laura, is that you?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 01:49:53 AM »

City May Ban Wallabies After Escape

Monday, September 17, 2007
WICHITA, Kan. —

Wichita city officials may ban wallabies, a miniature kangaroo-like marsupial, from city limits after one of them briefly escaped from its owner.

The development is the latest in the adventures of Skippy, a 10-month-old wallaby who bolted last month from owner Joe Freed's home. His escape prompted news stories and a brief, intense search. He was found 20 hours later a half-block away, where he was trying to get some bread people were tossing to ducks.

Since then, Freed spent $1,000 in attorney's fees but succeeded in beating a city ticket for having an exotic animal.

Wichita's animal ordinance does not address marsupials, but it does say residents are allowed to have "small rodents such as gerbils, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, mink, nutria and similar fur-bearing mammals."

Tammar wallabies, which are native to Australia, are typically less than 18 inches tall and weigh 15 to 20 pounds, about the size of a small dog. They cost between $1,000 and $5,000 each.

Does Australia allow export of Wallabies to private citizens?

der Brucer

NOTE CA is considering lifting the ban on kangaroo leathar items. Hey, the Pope has kangaroo leather shoes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:57:50 AM by DERBRUCER »

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 04:53:12 AM »

Worst travel was train from Wash DC to Fla, an overnight next to a guy who open moth coughed all the way; I welcomed the new millenium on my sister's couch, swilling zithromax. And I think Mr K is definitely going to by bypassing purgatory due to sufferings endured in This lifetime.l

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 04:59:06 AM »

Hang on DR TCB....I will find the program I use and post the link.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 05:01:02 AM »

DR TCB.....upload your file at this site.  Add your email address, and it will be emailed back to you as a PDF file which you should be able to email.

https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 05:01:06 AM »

NO! Without a doubt NO.  Illegal trade.
Nor does Australia allow the export of Sugar gliders!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 05:04:32 AM »

The Tammar is extinct in the wild (on Mainland Australia).
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 05:04:34 AM »

If that doesn't work - email it to me and I will convert it for you....but I am on my way to work....so it will have to be quick.

Jaynrand@comcast.net

Ben

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 05:07:40 AM »

Morning all. I seem to have been logged in when I was away but I'm here now (for a quick hello) and then I'm out again.

Later, gaters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 05:13:33 AM »

Thanks for the link to the review of SUCH GOOD FRIENDS by brainy Noel Katz, DR FJL!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 05:26:28 AM »

And The Song Of The Day:  TWILIGHT TIME

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 05:29:54 AM »

And The Song Of The Day:  TWILIGHT TIME

I wish it were there already!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »

Where is MY birthday present, DR ELMORE.  If DRJOSE gets one today, so do I!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »

Off to work....DR TCB....if that site isn't compatible for you, here is another to try.

http://convert.neevia.com/

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 05:38:26 AM »

Nor does Australia allow the export of Sugar gliders!

How about Sugar Daddies?    :)

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 05:41:20 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I slept quite well last night (must have been the Margarita!) and woke up without an alarm at 7am.  DH Richard is down at St. Mary's for morning prayer and I'm about to get myself ready for the day.  We're thinking of taking the hop on/hop off bus tour to Brooklyn today.

TOD - absolute worst travel experience was on a flight back from visiting my mother in Phoenix.  We were on TWA and had a connection in St. Louis.  Our plane was landing side-by-side with another (that's pretty freaky) and, when the time came, the other one touched down and we went back up.  The pilot came on and said, "We're going to try that again" and my DH turned to me and said, "I didn't hear the landing gear come down, did you?"  My vision was that they were foaming the runway and lining up the fire trucks and ambulances for our emergency landing.  Next time around, we landed without incident.

My best flight was in late December 1971, when my parents and I flew to LA to watch Michigan play lose to Stanford in the Rose Bowl.  747s were pretty new then and we had a great time - my dad played the piano in the upstairs lounge for a good bit of the trip.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 05:43:12 AM »

Good morning, all! I have next to nothing to report, and this is a nice change.  I think I'll run down to Toyland for some Montgomery & Stone research, and then head up to the NYPL.

I've seen no coverage of the Plaza Hotel event but I hope it proceeded nicely. I also hope they pay us all quickly!

My worst flight was in 1979 when I moved to NYC: I had a flight from Dayton OH to Columbus, where I changed flights to New York.  The flight to Cincinnati was several hours late and I landed in Columbus at about the same time the connecting flight left.  By the time I found the gate, I'd missed my flight but my luggage made it.  The airlines sent us all to another flight which ended up at Newark instead of LaGuardia so I ended up in New York with no luggage.  I could buy a toothbrush and toiletries but I ended up wearing the samer clothing for three days before the airlines located my missing luggage and delivered it to me.  They wanted me to come to LaGuardia and pick it up but I told them it wasn't my fault they screwed me up because of delays in their schedule. It didn't bode well for beginning a life in Manhattan, but I guess it all worked out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »

Good morning, all.  My left foot is hurting today.  I do hope it's not the gout acting up.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 06:14:17 AM »

I've seen no coverage of the Plaza Hotel event but I hope it proceeded nicely. I also hope they pay us all quickly!

Well, I'd give the rehearsal a thumbs up!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up