Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUBBLE AND SQUEAK  (Read 30997 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »

fjl-I finally found a single reference to the food Bulbenik, you mix some sort of yeast dough with mashed potatoes and bake it for one hour.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »

Actor Lee Patterson, star of my favorite tv show SURFSIDE 6, passed away...actually he died in February, but it was only just recently reported to news outlets. >:(

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:20:08 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »

i'm surprised.  imdb shows him working as late as '94, and still alive.  a shame

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »

i'm surprised.  imdb shows him working as late as '94, and still alive.  a shame

That was 13 years ago, Jane!

;)

He was 78 (nearly 79)....not too old, naturally, to continue a career, but perhaps there were health issues.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:38:56 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »

After I got in fron lunch, I immediately began with WYATT EARP as I had about 90 minutes of the movie left to watch.

Kasdan certainly cast some good looking men for WYATT EARP, including the Earp brothers and some of the Clanton gang too (where the always gorgeous Adam Baldwin ended up).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »

I watched all of the special features on the disc which included a "making of" documentary, a TV special than ran 22 minutes, and 11 deleted scenes, none of which needed to be in the movie and were wisely cut (though Betty Buckley had one of her few scenes left on the cutting room floor).

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »

For fun, I put in the standard definition version of WYATT EARP and watched one sequence from it to compare to the Blu-ray version. The SD held up very well. It was sharp and clean, not quite the equal in dimensionality as the Blu-ray, but looked nice.

The Dolby Digital soundtrack is the same on both versions except the bit rate is a little higher on the Blu-ray (640 mbps compared to 448 mbps.)

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »

I ahd time to skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. As expected, Luke's parents were major players on today's episode, but neither Luke nor Noah appeared today, and they don't seem to be on tape for tomorrow either.

Ginny

« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »

... like u i'm trying to be careful what i eat.

Oops!  I just ate a candy bar - but it was a Payday, so it had lots of peanut protein...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

And the word of the day is: SUSURROUS!
Willie and Toby were an amazing pair of cow thieves - their victims often reported that there was barely a SUSURRATION in the grasses while they were being rustled.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »

Lee Patterson had spent that last 15 or so years sailing on his boat, which made it particularly difficult for me to pin him down (no cracks DR Elmore) for an interview. Thus, I never did get his story down in print. I sure thought he was one heck of a good actor, and it was almost a toss up on who I liked better in Surfside 6, Patterson or Van Williams.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »

I'm going to head back down now to watch last night's episodes of LIFE and CSI: NY. Then, I'll be ready for tonight's TV onslaught.

I cleaned the bedroom areas this morning, so I don't have that to worry about.

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »

TOD - I was in the fifth grade, Thomas Jefferson Elementary School, when the vice-principal came in and made the announcement.

We did not go home until our regular time.

My father's parents, the only grandparents I ever really knew, were taking care of my sister and myself that week.  Mom and Dad were in San Francisco for a college reunion (UC Berkeley), which wasn't cancelled because too many people had come from too far away.  Their trip was remarkable mostly for the heel of Mom's shoe breaking at one point, causing her to fall keester first into the gutter - not something she was normally known to do.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories much - most conspirators are too sloppy to pull them off.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »

I have never met Maryann Lopinto.

Come to think of it, I've never even heard of Maryann Lopinto.

She has probably never heard of me, either.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »

Good Afternoon

Applause!  Applause!  Applause!

-Which reminds me, about an hour or so ago, I ran into Jason Graae on Eighth Avenue as I was walking up to Columbus Circle.

That's all.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »

Ah... I had a very groovy morning playing for the dance call for the upcoming presentation of Applause at Encores!  I didn't realize it was a dance until I stepped into the room and saw that Kathleen Marshall and her assistant were running through the routine.

We started with the men, and then the women came in.  And then we sang everyone who made the cut in the afternoon.

-Did I say that we started with the Men?  ;)  -Nothing like a room filled with cute, handsome, hot male dancers to get your day started.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2007, 02:43:46 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I will now say that it's certain that Menken and Schwartz will be there.  And, we're now trying to get a song from Enchanted - if we do, then I have to figure out who'll sing it.  It can be someone we have or a new person - we shall see.
Where is James Marsden when you need him!?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2007, 02:44:53 PM »

After the auditions were finished - and about an hour earlier than scheduled/booked - I took care of some shopping.  A new pair of cross-trainers  - my current pair of gym shoes are truly on their last legs.  They look OK, but I can tell that the sole is "crushed".  And I also placed an order for a new pair of walking shoes - they didn't have my size in stock.  Then it was up to Whole Foods for some groceries.  And now I'm home, and I think I may take a brief nap.  We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2007, 02:45:25 PM »

bk - Have you asked if Mr Schwartz would sing one of his own tunes?
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2007, 02:47:19 PM »

I don't believe that I have anything to say.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »

Good Afternoon

Applause!  Applause!  Applause!

-Which reminds me, about an hour or so ago, I ran into Jason Graae on Eighth Avenue as I was walking up to Columbus Circle.

That's all.
Not so fast that you hurt him, I hope!   :o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »

Today has been quite wet here in Rehoboth.  We've had rain off and on all day, which has been quite pleasant.  

After work (I pulled the early shift again today), I took a nap with a dalmatian as my blanket.  

That is all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »

OH!!

And since we're sort of talking about Stephen Schwartz, and since yesterday was "Ask BK Day", well...  -I just keep meaning to ask this....

A couple of years ago, one of the voice teachers I work with came across a song entitled, "Close Upon The Hour".  It was listed as being from a musical versions of "The King of Hearts".  And it was also listed as being composed by Stephen Schwartz.  She even said she got it directly from him.  However...

King of Hearts, the Musical was written by Peter Link and Jacob Brackman, and the song "Close Upon the Hour" is indeed the same song I have.  Does anyone know if it's possible that Mr. Schwartz might have ghost-written one of the songs - "Close Upon The Hour" certainly does sound like if could have been written by Mr. Schwartz?  Or did my teacher simply get her stories and composers mixed up?  *On the manuscript copy of the music I have, it even says, "Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz" - and it actually looks like Stephen's hand too.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2007, 02:56:20 PM »

Schwartz was willing to play the piano for one song, but not sing, as he'll be too tired.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »

Not so fast that you hurt him, I hope!   :o

Nah.  We basically just exchanged a couple of those "Don't I know you from somewhere" glances?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »

No real surprise to me, but Sara Rue has dropped out.  I was hoping she'd do it last week, but she finally called and said she was fine and we booked today for rehearsal.  Then at noon she called an pulled out.  I'm working on replacing her now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »

As for conspiracy theories in regards to JFK's assassination...

When I was in high school, Sister Maureen Bernard (or was it Sr. Maureen Christopher - ??), was my government teacher junior year.  She was a self-avowed JFK-aholic, and even more "rabid" JFK-Assassination-Theorist/Researcher.  She shared a bunch of information and writings that she had come across over the years.  She even had a copy one of the original "reports" that was released on the newsstands, as well, as the subsequent revised report that was released after the original ones were recalled.  It was fascinating - and a bit scary - to see what was edited and/or blacked out from the original copy.  She even followed the trail of the missing brain fragments, as well as the reports of someone in a wheelchair on Aristotle Onassis' boat in the middle of the Mediterranean.  And the eventually sighting of a burial at sea.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »

...And after hearing all of those bits of information, I do find it semi-credible that the government would go ahead and declare JFK dead in order to get Johnson sworn in as soon as possible.  In other words, to make sure there was an acting President in place ASAP.  And if JFK did end up spending his finals days with just enough brain matter to keep his system alive, while floating in the middle of the Mediterranean with Jacqueline still looking after him, well.. Even that's semi-credible too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »

Yesterday I got "Shirley MacLaine-Live at the Palace" from 1976. Interesting. There is a LONG segment from Some Came Running where she re-enacts a scene with Frank Sinatra. It' a little strange for my taste. Perhaps if I was sitting in the audience of the Palace Theatre in 1976 it would have played better. Oh, well.

Yes. DR Ben.  The scene did work better on stage. (The show toured here and Ms MacLaine was wonderful). There was also a scene where a dance was done thrice - in the styles of Fosse, Kidd and someone else.

I still have the record.

Ms Midler was at the same venue the week.  Why do I remember such trivia?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2007, 03:08:59 PM »

...And since the floors of the hospital above and below the one that JFK was being treated in were cordoned off for a lengthy period of time, well..  ???
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up