Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VILE EPITHET  (Read 28735 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE VILE EPITHET
« on: January 23, 2004, 12:02:30 AM »

Well, you've devoured the notes, you've digested the notes, hence you are notes complete and ready for posting until the cows come home.

:-*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 12:07:33 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE VILE EPITHET
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 12:19:20 AM »

First Post!  Huzzah!  (Is that how you spell it?...I mean "Huzzah?")

Anyway, it's too early to say what's in my respective media players except my VCR:  a blank tape to tape "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" in the morning.  I'll report on what's in my CD player at work when I actually get to work.  Until then, goodnight!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 12:49:02 AM »

I have been playing 100s of Cds to compile individual tracks this week so have had little time to play for myself. I did manage to give "Wicked" another play today.
DVDs: A whole stack waiting: "LOTR ROTK" (yes truly), "Mystic River", "Cold Mountain", "21 Grams", "Looney Tunes". "Brother Bear", & "Mona Lisa Smile" . They are not good quality but at $3 each what can you expect?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 01:01:05 AM »

Good vibes to DR Jason! (Sorry I just read about the audition now!)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Good vibes to DR Jose! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good vibes to Sarah on the audition next week! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that the audition didn't work out, DR Joy!

I don't have anything in any media players, but this is the song I've been listening to tonight. My friend found it combined with a classic cartoon. The editing makes it fit! The song's beat is infectious! :)  (This is Hey Ya!, a song I've loved since I first heard it in October or so.)http://www.venisproductions.com/movies/heyyacb.html
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »

DVD: Barney Miller Season 1

CD: Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge with the wonderful and sadly late Miss Dorothy Loudon.
How to Improve Your Memory (I forget the author's name)
Somewhere in Time (Varese Sarabande complete recording)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 04:32:53 AM »

BK:

Does the Elmer Bernstein 2 CD recording of Hawaii have the vocal of "My Wishing Doll"?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 04:40:32 AM »

Yes DRs - Jason now has a selection of the Greatest Hits of Jonathan and Darlene Edwards in his possession - and I don't remember what else I put on the Disk!  ;D  

DR DANISE perhaps it was a spelling bee.....   ;) DR JAY.

Thanks for the website DR. CARL - I will peruse it more carefully over the weekend!  I hope your rehearsals are progressing.  Still haven't gotten a answer from Bryan about seeing the show, but I have my fingers crossed and the dates written down.  Read EUKIAH!

CD Player:  The Langley Schools Project "Innocence and Despair" - interesting!

VCR:  "Hit the Deck" replacing "The Fuller Brush Girl."

DVD:  Plague of the Zombies - mid sixties Hammer Horror!

Friday at last!!!   :D  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 05:23:07 AM »

Here we are, Swishy and me.

I posted Mr. Brains yesterday afternoon and today another shopping experience.

Here I am in the frozen food section with a favorite British dish, Toad in the Hole. Surprisingly, even though our friends, Catherine and Maurice made toad in the hole and bubble and squeak for dinner, Anthony was so excited about it that he forgot to take a picture of the plate, so when we saw it in the grocery store he wanted this picture.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 06:04:22 AM »

I am so confused!  A day or two ago I asked if the "divorce" film BK mentioned was "Le Divorce" with Kate Hudson. A bunch of people said no. And now he's reviewed it and it is the one with Kate Hudson.  Btw, I still would like to rent it.

Look Paige Davis (Trading Spaces) is coming to Broadway:

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=33583&CT=38

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 06:06:11 AM »

Yes DR Jennifer - we are all confused because DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE was also mentioned in the notes.

But that is all right.  I don't know why, it just is.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 06:11:15 AM »

Hi Everybody,
Haven't been around for awhile. Busy, busy, busy. Don't know if anyone posted this but just in case...

BILLY MAY passed away as did ANN MILLER.

Speaking of Ann...Get a hold of the MGM musical "Deep in My Heart" and see the TERRIFIC Eugene Loring-choreographed Charleston number she did. Not that well-known, IMO, it's one of her best!

In honor of these two talents, I will have in my...
CD PLAYER: The Billy May arranged album with Sinatra, "Come Fly With Me," and the double CD "Sorta May/Sorta Dixie" with the wild and swingin' tracks of "South Rampart Street Parade" and "Chicago" (which was, I believe, used for Billy Wilder's film of "The Front Page" with Lemmon and Matthau).

VIDEO PLAYER: Annie in "On the Town," "Easter Parade" and "Kiss Me Kate."

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 06:27:47 AM »

Yes DR Jennifer - we are all confused because DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE was also mentioned in the notes.

But that is all right.  I don't know why, it just is.

It's all right because apparently I can read BK's mind :)

Yeah!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 06:57:53 AM »

I admit that I haven't read the notes yet, but I had to comment on last night's discussion of DVD site "reviewers" by quoting from one of the reviewer's comments on ALICE IN WONDERLAND and bk's follow-up:

"Black levels seemed nicely deep and dark, and shadow detail was fine. Contrast was solid as well, as whites were pure and clean."

Of course, in this one paragraph we get all the other catch-phrases - i.e. Black levels, shadow detail, clean whites, and solid contrast.  I mean, I just scratch my head in wonderment."

Since the reviewer is critiquing an ANIMATED film, I think the discussion of shadow detail is absurd. All of the shadows were DRAWN in and are exactly the levels of darkness the animators wanted them to be.

And as for the reviewer of PLANET OF THE APES (actually two of them since part of it was the orignal review and the other part by the site's editor), can you believe this site did not hire me as one of their critics? I applied something like three years ago when they were looking for some new critics and despite 25 years of professionally reviewing films, television, theater, and home video, they couldn't use me. (Said I was next in line if they lost another critic; ha!)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 07:12:16 AM »

Not much in my media players this week I guess...I did pop in a DVD of the 1960s Gerry Anderson series STINGRAY last night to watch an episode. As far as the cd player the one in the house has been empty as I have been listening to AOL RAdio on my computer, and in the car it has just been the same old Bollywood soundtracks.

However, now that it is Friday I will watch my weekly Bollywood movie...maybe FOOTPATH or RAAZ. Time will tell.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 07:17:57 AM »

OK - WHO THROW THAT VILE THING!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 07:37:12 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 07:28:40 AM »

Good morning. I fell asleep early last night (10:30-ish) - a mistake. Because I woke up at 2 AM - refreshed and ready to start the day. Realizing it was a tad early for that, I lay there, tossing and turning while rehashing the entire history of the human race in my head. Luckily, my dog would have none of it. He eventually jumped up on the bed and snuggled up at my feet - which forced me to lie still and fall asleep.

LE DIVORCE - I walked out on it. I had high hopes for the film, which were dashed pretty quickly. It was a silly movie, dressed up as something else. I don't mind a silly movie if it wears its silliness on its sleeve. But when it's dressed up in Chanel, I walk. And how's that for a convoluted analogy?

I have a blank tape in VCR, nothing in my DVD player, "Leonard Cohen-Ten New Songs" in my CD player, and in my car CD player, a limited edition of Guy Haines' "A Wonderful Guy."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 08:38:52 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 07:43:50 AM »

Good grief!  Don't do that, I thought it was a mirror!

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 07:48:30 AM »

Well, while I don't go wild for all the Merchant-Ivory productions, I did adore A ROOM WITH A VIEW, THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, and, supremely, MAURICE. MAURICE is to my mind the greatest gay themed film ever made.

I have to admit their more recent films like JEFFERSON IN PARIS and THE GOLDEN BOWL did not interest me much.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 07:51:39 AM »

Media check for Friday:

CD - WICKED again. Can't leave it alone

DVR - NOTORIOUS C.H.O.

laserdisc - HIT THE DECK

DVD -  AT BERTRAM'S HOTEL (Joan Hickson/Miss Marple mystery)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 07:59:15 AM »

I enjoy "Maurice" as well - some good performances.  I thought "A Trip to India" or whatever it was would NEVER end!  on and on and on....  My main problem is a lot of the performers (Emma Thompson) play their roles with a modern sensibility that would not be there in the personalities of these people at the time it is supposed to be.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 07:59:36 AM »

Yesterday "Divorce, American Style" and today "Le Divorce".  If BK were still married I'd think he was trying to tell us something.

Michael - My Annie 2 recording doesn't feature Miss Loudon.   Is the one that you have commercially available?

Are the extras on the ALICE IN WONDERLAND deluxe edition worth replacing the original which has only a few extras?

DVD - I'll try to watch KATE or ON THE TOWN this weekend as a tribute to the former Johnnie Lucille Collier.  I wish EASTER PARADE were available although I have that on VHS.  I did watch her Great American Soup commercial as a tribute last night, followed by a minute of silence.

CD - After the posts last week about Jonathon and Darlene Edwards I pulled out the 2 CDs when we had company and just slipped them on in the background.  As is usually the case people gradually caught on.  I'm also still working my way through the All Music shipment.  I enjoyed THE BODY BEAUTIFUL.  It had that typical 50s musical comedy sound and was a good start for Bock and Harnick, but from the description in the notes the book seemed to be the problem.  I had forgotten that "Summer Is" came from this show.  45 MINUTES FROM BROADWAY was the whole soundtrack from the TV special, with way too much dialogue and no track numbers for just the songs.  Still Tammy Grimes (billed as "introducing" although this came after THE LITTLEST REVUE it was before MOLLY BROWN) was wonderful.

VHS - THE  L WORD from Showtime, a Lesbian version of QUEER AS FOLK involving a group of Lesbians who spend all their time in a coffee  shop in West Hollywood.  It should be called THE S WORD for stereotype, silly, stupid, sex-filled, etc.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 08:04:36 AM »

DVD Player:  Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, which DH Noel and I watched last night.  Not the greatest film ever made, but I love it like a dear friend with flaws that I can easily overlook.  My favorite line (which you have to imagine with a pronounced Louisiana drawl:

Vivi:  Don't you talk to me like that, I will knock you into the middle of next week.
Caro:  And I will kick your sorry ass on Thursday, now get back in the car.

Louisiana is an important part of my heritage, so I love the music and the setting and all the accoutrements of the story.  And I like the story, too; it hits pretty close to home.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2004, 08:05:51 AM »

Now you've made me want to see L Word, WEL.

DVD: Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

CD: Stravinski - Solder's Story

I'm going out just to purchase another CD, Andrew Lippa's musical Wild Party
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 08:07:22 AM »

DR Joy - I am sorry, but no court in the world, no power under heaven (a Clifton Webb reference) could force me to watch a movie called 'Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood.'

DR WEL - I ordered the Volume 2 Jonathan & Darlene CD.  Florence Foster Jenkins arrived in my mailbox yesterday, but I haven't listened yet.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 08:09:16 AM »

JRand, you are a very funny dude.  Well, it's really aimed at women with mother/daughter issues and the men who love them.  And gay men.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 08:11:45 AM »

LOL...well they missed the target here.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 08:12:10 AM »

Okay, I just heard the craziest story from my friend Jon:

my  good friend Bridget is and was the baby wrangler for GYPSY.....well apparently one injury led to another and last month she made her broadway debut in the ensemble with Bernadette....its just amazing how things work out

I'm speechless.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 08:14:27 AM »

A star is born!  That's what I call being in the right place at the right time.

"You're on!"

Jason

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 08:15:50 AM »

Hi, everyone. Well, it's official. I'm not called back. Oh, well...c'est la vie. now it's time to grieve (I've actually already done that) and move on to the next thing. I feel a lot better knowing for certain that this particular audition is over and done, and I'm actually not too upset about it any more. Believe it or not, there does come a point when you can stop taking the rejection personally. It ain't easy, but it sort of becomes second-nature. Anyway...moving on...

In my CD player: That GLORIOUS compilation CD that JRand sent me. In addition to the Edwards' music are some of the most horrific tunes by Ms. Patty Duke and some fun ones by Ms. Gale Storm and Ms. Annette Funicello or Fettucine or however you spell her last name. I could never get it right.

Also in the CD player: SEUSSICAL, WICKED and Andrew Lippa's THE WILD PARTY.

VCR: Nada.

DVD Player: I can't remember. CLUE, I think.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 08:20:06 AM »

DR Jason - glad you are ---ummm---- enjoying the efforts of the vocalists.  

My favorite moment in the studio is when Patty's orchestra revs up and on her first note, the producer calls a halt and Patty says:  "Good up to there....."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up