Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VILE EPITHET  (Read 28766 times)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
Re:THE VILE EPITHET
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 08:25:21 AM »

Jason, if you're interested in a non-eq summer stock gig with impossibly low pay and gorgeous scenery, Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre is doing Seussical this summer.  I think they usually have auditions around late Feb-early March.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »

I enjoy "Maurice" as well - some good performances.  I thought "A Trip to India" or whatever it was would NEVER end!  on and on and on....  My main problem is a lot of the performers (Emma Thompson) play their roles with a modern sensibility that would not be there in the personalities of these people at the time it is supposed to be.

A PASSAGE TO INDIA was not Merchant-Ivory. That was David Lean (LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, RYAN'S DAUGHTER).

I thought it was brilliant, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2004, 08:27:20 AM »

Condolences, Jason. How do you do it? How NOT to take it personally, and move on??? You're a better man than I, Gunga Din...
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2004, 08:34:40 AM »

Extra special good vibes to DR Jason ~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, for all canoe spoiler fans or Survivor fans check out canoe's new All Star Spoilers page. Great stuff.

http://jam.canoe.ca/JamSurvivorAllStars/home.html

Jason

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2004, 08:39:31 AM »

Penny--For this particular audition it's quite easy for me to not take it personally. He told me flat-out that I was too thin for the role. There's not much I can do about that in the next three days, so...that's that. Now, OTHER auditions where the casting director just says his/her "thank you" and you leave without a reason...? Well, that's harder to get over.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2004, 08:42:59 AM »

DR MattH - oh yes, "A Passage to India."  Okay, yes, you may have that movie, thank you.  Now why did I think that was a M/I film?  Hmmmmmm.....  

Matt - have you seen "Big Eden"....any thoughts....  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 08:46:37 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2004, 08:43:41 AM »

Jason, you brought up an interesting topic.  I often discuss this with my friends, some of whom have a real problem with letting go of an audition.  I think the people that survive and stay reasonably sane in this business are the ones that are able to move on and forget about it after each audition.  It drives me crazy when my friends call me up after an audition and post-mortem it to death.  "I don't understand, they were just like, Thank you, nice voice, and I'm like, what the hell?  What are they looking for?  I looked at the people they kept, and I was like, What?"....and on and on.  Most unhealthy.

It's important to develop the skill of not only the 2 minute performance, but also handling the aftermath.  I believe the thing to do is to take whatever lessons you gained from the audition (that song doesn't work, I need to do it in a different key, etc.) and move on to the next one.  Dissecting it and overanalyzing and fretting is just detrimental to you as an artist and also from a business standpoint.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 08:44:33 AM by Joy »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2004, 08:50:50 AM »

Sorry you didn't get the role, Jason! Onward and upward -- which doesn't mean, put on a few pounds and you'll get the next part.

My daughter, Rachel, when she was a kid actress, once auditioned for an ongoing role in a series that called for a "fat girl" (in the script). Rachel was quite thin, but the producers loved her in the reading and told her she was it, she was their girl. The director, who wasn't at the audition, vetoed them, saying that the girl HAD to be plump. Rachel (around age 10 or 11 at the time) was devastated because she was sure she had it - even though I had told her there's no such thing as "sure" in this business.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 08:53:17 AM »

It's important to develop the skill of not only the 2 minute performance, but also handling the aftermath.  I believe the thing to do is to take whatever lessons you gained from the audition (that song doesn't work, I need to do it in a different key, etc.) and move on to the next one.  Dissecting it and overanalyzing and fretting is just detrimental to you as an artist and also from a business standpoint.

Couldn't agree with you more, Joy.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 08:55:10 AM »

Just to add a note of compassion, because my note above sounds like I'm saying people should "Just get over it", which is not helpful.  I hope nobody felt like that's what I meant, because it is] very difficult to deal with the ones like Jason mentioned, where they just say "Thanks" with no feedback at all.  But business is business, and believe me, they are just as disappointed as you that they can't cast you, because that would make their jobs a heck of a lot easier.  (Universal You, not You Jason.)  I always yell at a certain friend of mine - no names - who post-mortems every single audition until I go insane.  You're lucky if you get callbacks for 1/4 of all your auditions, so what's your life going to be like if you beat your breast after the other 75%?  Eek.

Jason

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 08:59:34 AM »

DR Joy: I agree...it's frustrating to have to listen to people analyze their past auditions to death, but I guess that's just their way of dealing with it. Rejection is never easy, but I've found that it's actually more bearable when it comes in large amounts. I don't know why, but it's easier for me to deal with a lot of "no's" as opposed to maybe just one big "no." Does that make any sense at all? I dunno. This one was easy to let go of once I knew I was done with it. The OKLAHOMA! auditions weren't so easy to let go of, seeing how I auditioned for it six or seven times and ended up with nothing. I feel like you can learn something from each audition you attend but then you have to let it go. There are a million and one reasons why they may not have hired you, and you can sit and analyze all million and one reasons or you can move on to the next audition and get a job. I audition well. I perform even better, but there's always room for improvement, and the casting director helped me a lot with our work session yesterday.

He just called me a second ago to let me know that he won't need me today...he's only seeing 2 people...but that he would show them my headshot and let them know that he sees me as a handsome leading man type. I've never heard THAT before, either! He said that he figured that they would see me as the understudy since I'm so much smaller than the other guys, but that if he needed to see me again, he'd call sometime next week and to hold on the materials he gave me. He also kept calling me "Buddy," which leads me to think that perhaps he feels I'm fragile right now. Haha! That's ALL I need is for him to think that I'm some sort of weenie. I'm a big boy (but apparently not big enough)--I can take it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2004, 09:02:07 AM »

Jennifer:  When you asked the original "divorce" question, people correctly told you I was talking about Divorce, American Style.  Two days later I saw Le Divorce.  No confusion necessary.

I was rudely awakened this morning by the man who looks at the gas meter - once a month this happens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 09:02:57 AM »

And I do hope MattH has rectified that "haven't read the notes" situation.  

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2004, 09:03:04 AM »

My daughter, Rachel, when she was a kid actress, once auditioned for an ongoing role in a series that called for a "fat girl" (in the script). Rachel was quite thin, but the producers loved her in the reading and told her she was it, she was their girl. The director, who wasn't at the audition, vetoed them, saying that the girl HAD to be plump. Rachel (around age 10 or 11 at the time) was devastated because she was sure she had it - even though I had told her there's no such thing as "sure" in this business.
No, there sure isn't.  There's a company (no names, at this juncture) that is NOTORIOUS for building up false hopes and making false promises and then reneging.  I always tell people who get callbacks from them, "PLEASE do not get your hopes up and whatever you do, don't start shopping for suitcases until you have a fully-executed contract."

Your daughter is very pretty and personable.  Does she still perform?  At least she only had one instance where she wasn't fat enough, rather than being told her whole adult life, over and over again, that she was too fat.   ::)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2004, 09:03:37 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a CD recording of Beehive?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2004, 09:08:34 AM »

DR Joy - I think there was a Japanese Import CD available for awhile....but no US release except on LP.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »

DR Joy: I agree...it's frustrating to have to listen to people analyze their past auditions to death, but I guess that's just their way of dealing with it. Rejection is never easy, but I've found that it's actually more bearable when it comes in large amounts. I don't know why, but it's easier for me to deal with a lot of "no's" as opposed to maybe just one big "no." Does that make any sense at all? I dunno.
Yeah, it does, actually.  I don't know why, but it does!

This one was easy to let go of once I knew I was done with it. The OKLAHOMA! auditions weren't so easy to let go of, seeing how I auditioned for it six or seven times and ended up with nothing.
Yes, I know how that is.  I couldn't even TELL you how many times I was called back for various productions of Footloose.  For crying out loud.  And THEN I was later told that they were all ready to offer me a job when the person who was quitting decided to come back.  Now THAT sucks.

I feel like you can learn something from each audition you attend but then you have to let it go. There are a million and one reasons why they may not have hired you, and you can sit and analyze all million and one reasons or you can move on to the next audition and get a job.
Perfect.  I couldn't agree more.

I have a feeling I might know what this audition was for, in which case, I'm wondering how this all went down.  Hm...I guess I'll have to wait until February!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2004, 09:10:39 AM »

Matt - have you seen "Big Eden"....any thoughts....  ;D

Yes, I've seen it; I have it on DVD. I thought it a lovely gay fantasy. Too bad there isn't a place on earth as accepting and welcoming as Big Eden. My favorite scene was after the Thanksgiving dinner when Arye Gross' best male friend (straight) bursts into tears after being treated so coldly and tells him how much he loves him in his own way and how much his friendship has meant. Wonderful moment in a very sweet and loving film.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2004, 09:11:22 AM »

He told me flat-out that I was too thin for the role.

Let me guess - you were auditioning for Edna in "Hairspray"?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2004, 09:11:38 AM »

AND, if I'm right, then I also know the person who is bigger than you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2004, 09:12:04 AM »

Nice moment...lovely scenery...I thought Nan Martin and Louise Fletcher were both so good.  

Yup - no place like it on earth, but a nice movie!

Oh, and did you know that Lucy Marlow (A STAR IS BORN as Lola Lavery, QUEEN BEE as Cousin Jennifer) teaches drama at a private girls school in Idaho?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:13:41 AM by JRand53 »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2004, 09:12:41 AM »

I mean....crap, that didn't come out sounding right.  I'm positive that there are millions of people bigger than you, but...eek...you know what I mean.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2004, 09:14:55 AM »

I was rudely awakened this morning by the man who looks at the gas meter - once a month this happens.

Dear BK, kiss and tell?

der Brucer (wondering why BK has his gas meter in the bedroom)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2004, 09:15:43 AM »

bk, responding on the forum before reading the notes is a rare, rare thing for me, but I was so mortified by those "reviews" that I had to speak as soon as I could get my fingers on the keyboard. Certainly, I've read the notes now as you've seen as I responded to your comments on Merchant-Ivory and other matters.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004, 09:19:18 AM »

« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:19:41 AM by Joy »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2004, 09:19:20 AM »

Whew!

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2004, 09:19:24 AM »

The aftermath of a rejection is indeed the most difficult thing I've had to cope with in all my years of doing theater. As someone who's received more than a fair amount of rejection, it's part of the process which you know going in.

And I can tell myself from now until doomsday that if I gave the best audition I could, there should be no regrets if I wasn't chosen. Yes, I tell myself that, and my brain knows it's true, but the heart, ah, the heart doesn't have ears, and it aches and aches, especially if it's a show that you really really wanted to be a part of.

Still, somehow, the disappointment doesn't kill us and we move on to the next. When you have the itch to perform, the hope that it'll be scratched is stronger than the threat of someone swatting you with a broom instead.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2004, 09:21:15 AM »

Joy: You're so sly. You probably do know what show it was for. And if you do, then you'll understand why I'm not allowed to talk about it. Perhaps I'll PM you and let you know.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2004, 09:27:24 AM »

Oh, and did you know that Lucy Marlow (A STAR IS BORN as Lola Lavery, QUEEN BEE as Cousin Jennifer) teaches drama at a private girls school in Idaho?

Don't you mean Lucy Marlow as LOVELY Lola Lavery?  ;D

She is good in QUEEN BEE as is anyone who could share scenes with Joan Crawford at that stage of her career and not be totally trampled on in the scene.

THanks for the info on her. I had no idea she was even still alive. I'd love to hear some of her A STAR IS BORN stories.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:30:10 AM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2004, 09:27:32 AM »

Also in the CD player: SEUSSICAL, WICKED and Andrew Lippa's THE WILD PARTY.

VCR: Nada.

DVD Player: I can't remember. CLUE, I think.

Jason -- Who is in the cast of Nada?

I am very sorry about your audition, Jason, but that just means that something better is coming up for you.  I am really curious to know which show is going on tour.  Please let us know when you are free to talk about it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up