Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VILE EPITHET  (Read 28890 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:THE VILE EPITHET
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2004, 11:07:20 AM »

The hardest part for me right now is feeling like I'm starting all over again.  I had built up all this momentum, was getting a great percentage of callbacks, and then I walked away for a year and a half...and now I have to build that up again, but I feel so unpolished and amateurish now.  I know that I just have to be patient and work hard and I'll get back up there again.  But there is still a part of me that feels like I'm 21 and ignorant again, walking into auditions with no clue and no experience.  Ack.

Ditto, kiddo. Try it after a 20-year lay-off... oy. I have clothes older than you...

I'll be in NYC for a week after my Bristol PA gig - Feb. 23-March 1. Maybe we have a coffee and some chat.

Hey, Jay! I just spoke to your pinaist friend Lori - I'll be working out with her this Sunday. Thanks, Lad!
PennyO

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2004, 11:13:23 AM »

A wise old sage (or maybe it was a wise old tarragon) once said that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

While researching the name of the wise old herb, I stumbled over this quote:

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or gives you severe diarrhea"

Curious, I went to the referenced site ( OGIwhich was a personal journal posted by a student on a trip to Indonesia. (OGI School of Science & Engineering is one of four schools of Oregon Health & Science University.)

The journal has lots of interesting, somewhat quirky, descriptions of his sojourns into the Indonesian hinterlands. (He even found an Indonesian Monument to the Republican Party):

der Brucer (Oh, the wise old herb was Nietzsche writing in "Twilight of the Idols ')
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2004, 11:15:12 AM »

Auditioning is a rough trip.   ;D  I try to have something else to do afterwards, meet friends, go to a movie, so I don't have to think about it.  

If it's a two-day audition I usually go the first day and watch, make sure I've read the play, and know that the role I am auditioning for is not only one I want, but one that I could logically physically play - within reason of course.  :D

If we are all sitting in the space, and they ask for a volunteer to read something, I always hold up my hand - and if I write down a part and they read me two or three times for another part, I don't usually insist on reading for the part I originally chose because they obviously have other ideas.   ???

I get very nervous - and of course we mostly remember the auditions when we didn't get the part, but it's all subjective.  Actually auditioning gives me a great feeling of release.  It is in someone else's hands.  I did my best, I am there because I want to be part of the project, I'm right for it .... the rest is up to them.  And if they don't want to use me, they are saving us both six weeks of hell.  I can go on with my life....this show or another one....  Today or tomorrow...   ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2004, 11:15:33 AM »

Hey, Jay! I just spoke to your pianist friend Lori - I'll be working out with her this Sunday. Thanks, Lad!

Excellent!!!  She is extremely talented and one of the sweetest human beings I have ever met.  I truly hope this works out for both of you!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2004, 11:16:14 AM »

Oh, the things you can learn here!

I saw the
Message by Tomovoz
1952 - Victor brought out a new 3 speed record player that could 78, 45 & 33 rpm discs

but still want to know whether a multi-speed player may have been NOT commercially available but still in existance as early as 1950.  Pretty obscure question, I know.

But I've learned so much.  For instance, this Oz place where Tom is from is so incredibly violent, you'll want to avert your eyes, and yet there are moments of genuine tenderness between men.

I'm confused about so much, but I'm very glad to see TCB is alive and well and posting.  An earlier post had given me quite a scare!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »

Brucer, is that Shiva?

PennyO, you make me laugh with your "I have clothes older than you" line.  Yet another thing to look forward to when I get older, that I get to use that line!  I'd love to have coffee with you when you come here.  Sounds like fun.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2004, 11:20:54 AM »

You know, DR Noel - just from what we all read...I would say no...because the patents for the different speeds were held by different corporations.  If a broadcaster wanted to play both speeds he would need two turntables.  But that is a guess...or rather another guess.

DRS PennyO & Joy - sounds like the ya ya sisterhood to me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:21:49 AM by JRand53 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2004, 11:25:41 AM »

Okay, in my CD player at work:  the OBC recording of Sugar Babies with Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney...after that will be the Paper Mill Follies, then the soundtrack to "Easter Parade."  My Mini-Miller-Memorial.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »

One of the really hard things about all the trials of this biz is that Civilians don't get it - that includes most family members and lovers, too - the other day, my own sister Tami said I was probably pinching myself over my "good luck" in getting these two upcoming gigs... for one of which I've been haranguing the producer to put on, for 16 months; and the other I've been campaigning for during the last 5 months... it looks to the Regular Folk like we just fall into these "Good Luck" jobs. Selling a product or service -- ours, included -- is Marketing, just like in the Real World. But cuz it looks so fun and easy, "They" can't know what we go through to be allowed up there in the light when the curtain opens...
PennyO

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2004, 11:27:19 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to weigh in on the OZ discussion...

My roommate on My Fair Lady decided to have OZ night in our room, where people could come over and watch.  I had never seen it before, and it sounded interesting, so I watched it.  

Now.  I am not squeamish about violence - at least, I didn't think I was.  I mean, I loved every drop of "Kill Bill - Vol. 1" (pun intended).  But I was so violated and horrified by what I saw that night in our hotel room that I had to leave.  From then on, when it was OZ night, I was outta there.  I don't judge it, I completely understand how necessary it is to the show, but I just can't deal with it.  I gave it another chance months later but I'm sorry I did.  The images I saw are still burned in my mind and I have a really hard time trying to keep them out.  Even the beginning of last season's "24" was a little too much for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2004, 11:29:03 AM »

Oh, the things you can learn here!

I saw the
Message by Tomovoz  

but still want to know whether a multi-speed player may have been NOT commercially available but still in existance as early as 1950.  Pretty obscure question, I know.

But I've learned so much.  For instance, this Oz place where Tom is from is so incredibly violent, you'll want to avert your eyes, and yet there are moments of genuine tenderness between men.

ROTFLMAO
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2004, 11:46:09 AM »

That light...don't you have anything....softer?

(Name that show!)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2004, 11:47:48 AM »

Brucer, is that Shiva?

Nope, it's Shiva's boy, Ganesh - who sometimes has more interesting depictions:

Here's Daddy:

der Brucer (thinking a "ganesh" belongs on a recipe page)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2004, 11:48:59 AM »

RIP Captain Kangaroo  :(  :'(

« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:53:47 AM by Joy »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2004, 11:49:37 AM »

I forget which DR mentioned the lack of plot summary in the booklet with the WICKED CD, but I think the reason is that they didn't want to give away the surprise ending (which I will not give away either).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »

Uh.....A Chorus Line....anyone?

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2004, 11:50:02 AM »

DERBRUCER, thanks for the photos.  Ah yes, I remember now, Ganesh.  I first learned about Shiva from Indiana Jones.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2004, 11:50:37 AM »

Uh.....A Chorus Line....anyone?
You win!

Jay

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2004, 11:52:07 AM »

That light...don't you have anything....softer?

(Name that show!)

It's either Blanche DuBois in Streetcar Named Desire or Barbra Streisand at a post-Academy Awards ceremony bash.

Jay

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2004, 11:53:39 AM »

[Loud obnoxious buzzer.]

I lose.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2004, 11:55:20 AM »

By the way, many people don't know this, but before Bob Keeshan created the role of Captain Kangaroo, he was the original Clarabelle on Howdy Doody.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »

I forget which DR mentioned the lack of plot summary in the booklet with the WICKED CD, but I think the reason is that they didn't want to give away the surprise ending (which I will not give away either).

I'm not going to be able to see this in New York...I want to know.  Care to privately e-mail me with the "surprise ending?"  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:57:22 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »

RE: AUDITIONING
Like many of you, my attitude towards auditioning has evolved from experience. I now approach them as an opportunity to perform and share my particular vision. For me, the best antidote to de- or re- jection after an audition is to schedule some appointment or event right after. That way I don't have time to dwell on it wondering what I did wrong, why I didn't do this instead of that, why he or she said that, etc. Later, after the appointment is over, I find I've gained some perspective because my focus had shifted.

One time, after I gave what I thought was an excellent audition, I wrote a letter to the producer asking why I didn't at least get called back (I know. I know. A stupid thing to do). Lo and behold, he wrote me a very kind letter with some valuable feedback. Of course, this is an exception but I think the reason he did it was because before he was a producer, he was an actor.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2004, 11:56:24 AM »

That light...

Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD?

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2004, 11:57:39 AM »

RE: Bob Keeshan, I used to watch Capt. Kangeroo every morning as a wee twig of a sprig of a lad. I think I enjoyed that show so much because he had those hand puppets...MR. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, and this lady frog puppet with long stringy hair that no one seems to remember except for me.

Being the creative child that I was I loved it when the Capt. would do the occasional crafts on his show and one that stands out was a puppet theater he made out of an old kleenex box or shoe box which I copied and took to show and tell in in the 1st grade. It was quite a hit, I am sure. I also made a special puppet theater for Santa Claus which I put under the Christmas tree in 1970. I think he enjoyed it because I really got some great presents that year! LOL!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2004, 12:00:21 PM »

Sheila:  That light...don't you have anything... softer?
Zach:  Come closer.
Sheila:  Can I sit on your lap?
Zach:  Do you always come on this strong?
Sheila:  No.  Sometimes I'm agressive.

I'll have to check on all that later for accuracy, as well as the spelling of Zack/Zach.

Speaking of auditions, eh?  The audition musical!

Jed

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2004, 12:00:52 PM »

Fascinating posts today.  As one who sticks to community theatre (and has no plans to go the "bigger and better" route), it is interesting to hear the thoughts of those of you who strive to do this crazy stuff for a living!  Sorry to hear about this result, Jason (although, a pretty nice reason to not get a job :)), but very glad to hear you're not fretting over it.  How I look forward to the day I can come to NYC and see DRs Jason and Joy starring in some new hit show by that Noel Katz fellow.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2004, 12:01:05 PM »

I'll have to weigh in onthat, since part of the so-called surprise ending is given away in the opening number.  Listen carefully.  It's there.  IF they really wanted to keep THAT a surprise, then someone else should have sung the lines i'm referring to. . .to wit, the elixir.
And that surprise ending, which they believe they are cloaking, is not a surprise to anyone who has read the book.
Also, why not give us the Nessarose/Byk duet from Act Two? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2004, 12:01:23 PM »

Did any other DR's have a stuffed monkey made out of brown and white work socks?

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2004, 12:01:35 PM »

Well, I'm off to dance.  Speaking of ACL.  Later!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up