Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: APPLES AND ORANGES  (Read 24195 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:APPLES AND ORANGES
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - So... Just how do you talk to the animals?  -Or at least get them to pose for you?  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:35:19 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35:06 PM »

Seriously, folks. . .

I met a perfectly marvelous girl this afternoon, HHW's own DR Danise.
We met outside of Borders in The Pittsburgh Mills, that humongous shopping mall, a few miles from my home.
After a couple of quick photos outside, we ventured into the cafe, with DR Danise's niece, Debbie, where we drank coffe, chai lattes and caramel lattes while devouring asiogo pretzels, EggNog loaf cake and GingerBread Cheesecake - my hips are wider already!
Then we perused the aisles, where I found a copy of Terry Pratchett's novel MASKERADE, which I think she will love, since she is a big POTO fan - and Pratchett nails POTO, LES MIZ and many other stage musicals.
Then off to the cookbook aisle to peruse many, many cookbooks - enough cookbooks to get Da Niece down onto the floor to read.
Then we took an amazing journey through the mall itself, stopping in various an sundry stores - San Francisco Music Box, i.e - and along the way found a brand new store which will only be open for the season selling used dvds $6.99 each or 3 @ $18.00 - so many dvds were purchased.  DR Danise bought me a copy of DR Charles Pogue's HERCULES, and I (and DR Danise) also bough THE THORN BIRDS, and two French & Saunders dvds.
I truly enjoyed being with these lovely ladies and I sincerely hope that DR Danise will return to the burgh, soon, and that we can really get together and paint the town!

Great photos of you, DR DAnise and her neice. It appears all three of you had a grand time.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:37:15 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35:23 PM »

I began my evening of viewing with the Blu-ray of the Pixar Shorts Collection which I had watched in SD-DVD last week. As I suspected, there was no extra material on the disc, only that all 13 of the shorts and the "making of" documentary were now all in high definition. Oh, my, in high def they do look impressive. "Geri's Game" was especially gorgeous in high def, and the original 3-D "Knick Knack" actually looked very close to 3-D in high def.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #273 on: November 10, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »

HEY!

You didn't tell me that DR Danise also got to meet Martin Mull today too!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »

Next, I put in UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE. How marvelous to see it again after all these years. Simply loved it. The film never looked great, and the DVD pretty much looks the way I remember it. Was it my player, or was there some kind of artifact that resembles a small moth flying around during some scenes? I'll try it in a different player the next time I watch it to see if I see that white fleck flitting around.

Matt H.

« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2007, 08:39:35 PM »

And then I watched tonight's TORCHWOOD. One of the best episodes of the season. Very moving, lovely, gut-wrenching performances from many of the cast. How sorry I felt for some of them!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2007, 08:39:41 PM »

I sneak up on them, DR Jose.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »

DR Elmore, thank you so much for telling me to go tonight. It was a lot of fun.  The comedy part of it sort of fell flat, not a lot of energy or something, but the vocals were wonderful.  There was close to a full house, which is rare for our symphony this year.  They got the longest ovation I've heard for a symphony performance.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #278 on: November 10, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »

DR Matt:

Last week you were asking why Torchwood had an episode that had almost nothing of Captain Jack, and for that matter almost nothing of most of the regulars (except for Gwen).

We caught the episode earlier this evening, and I can understand your confusion.  It was a mirror of two episodes of Doctor Who, "Love and Monsters" in the second series and "Blink" in the third.  What producer Russel T. Davies discovered was that there was too much of a time crunch to get all the stories produced in time, requiring too much of his stars.  So, he included a story in the second season that only marginally involved the Doctor (and Rose) to afford his cast and crew the time they needed... and the trick worked.  He pulled it off the second time by... well, that would require spoilers.  

So, Davies pulled it off again with "Random Shoes," basically a story involving Gwen with a character named Eugene Jones, a stand-alone story told from Eugene's POV.  Given the big special effects stories to come towards the end of the series, this gives the rest of the cast and crew the time to get their work done.

(And, spoiler time... yes, the last stories, from what I've come across, have a lot going on, special effects-wise and otherwise.)

SWW, that is what I thought also when I watched them.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »

I talked to Sal after the show.  He says hello to both elmore and BK. He asked how I knew the two of you and I said "Haines His Way"  He said "Ah, of course".    I bought Sal's CD and he signed it for me.  It's a compilation of his live performances

Elmore, I didn't talk to Nat Chandler and didn't buy his CD.  He did a good job too.    

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »

Furthermore, we don't post anonymously around here, we're not those sorts.  This isn't broadwayworld or talkinbroadway.  Also, we all know when you showed up, and some of us knew you were not a woman.  It's a little peculiar, don't you think, to show up every day to a site where you find the host "abhorrent" and you obviously don't care to have any interaction with anyone else.  One suspects what one suspects and I'm not the only one who suspects it.  Feel free to lurk to your heart's content, though, whether by "name" or as a lurker.  One thing I do have the ability to do, however, is ban - I've only done it once in the entire time of this site, however.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

Lovely photo Laura... I really do enjoy seeing them.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #282 on: November 10, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

bk, will there be a cd relating to the recent fundraiser?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #283 on: November 10, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »

Has anyone heard from TCB or Francois lately?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: November 10, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »

Dakota, no, we couldn't get it together in time to record.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #285 on: November 10, 2007, 08:56:58 PM »

There is always a pleasant treat I look forward to on HHW and that is Laura's photographs. Beautiful!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »

I was curious... :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »

DotM is back and logged in, too. :)

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:01 PM »

There is always a pleasant treat I look forward to on HHW and that is Laura's photographs. Beautiful!

Thanks.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »

Surprisingly with my hearing troubles, I actually have an easier time listening to Musicals and stuff. I can actually hear the singing.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »

OH joy!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

DotM was on this afternoon also

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2007, 09:00:48 PM »

I am debating what cd I want DBF to buy me for christmas. He told me to choose one... One thing... There are too many to chose from!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2007, 09:02:12 PM »

I am debating what cd I want DBF to buy me for christmas. He told me to choose one... One thing... There are too many to chose from!

Might I suggest a lovely gemstone of some kind?

Oh, you said cd. Darn.

Matt H.

« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »

I'm going to write for a bit and then head downstairs to bed. Big day tomorrow with that installation of the new receiver. I'll probably be on-line early and then spend the rest of the morning dealing with cables, wires, speakers, and other electronics.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »

bk, my workstudy students at hte library have adopted the Brain Tap as their whistle while the work tune. One gal has become quite interested in your recordings and I gave her your website.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2007, 09:08:06 PM »

errr Laura, he has hinted at that in the future

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »

Laura, he has been looking....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2007, 09:10:22 PM »

Gotta love trolls...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »

It's just funny - DotM arrived on or about September 30, just as the NYMF Brain was coming to an end.  He has been here steadily ever since - and we've had many lively discussions during that entire time - yet none of those lively discussions were worthy of him - just my one little post stating that karma is a potent thing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up