Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POINT OF THE IDLE CHATTER  (Read 22994 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE POINT OF THE IDLE CHATTER
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »

Now to settle in with my Bollywood movie of the evening JAANWAR (1965), which happens to be the movie that has that kookie version of I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND which I posted earlier this morning.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »

...What did the Grandlands think of LION IN THE WINTER?

William fell asleep.  Alex laughed at the funnier lines, so he at least paid attention.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »

...The church rented my costume from a place in New Haven - along with the ministers.  The lead minister is supposed to be arriving tomorrow morning in front of the church on horseback.  Oh, they're taking this thing WAY seriously.  Of course, by tomorrow morning we're supposed to have snow cover here.
So, which part of the horse will you be playing again?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:18 PM »

The lamb was very tasty, as were the veggies served with it.

And there are scads of leftovers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2007, 08:15:50 PM »

I just got back from DR Ginny's to find Randy's house in an uproar: my niece Alison, who can be extremely touchy at times, got into a fight with her dad, decided she no longer wanted to be here, announced she was going back to Tennessee, and dragged her husband Andy and Chase out of the house. Randy and Jo look shellshocked, and I'm sure Andy and Chase are unhappy over the situation. A side of me suspects that she's feeling she's not getting enough attention; God knows she's a raging Drama Queen at times.  

I have to say that I'm pissed she screwed up what was looking like a wonderful weekend, and I'm sorry she and her family won't be here tomorrow. Maybe Lady M will show up to take her place.  Oy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

I spent a good portion of the evening with BAD SANTA. The Blu-ray offers the unrated cut and the cirector's cut. I figured I'd watch what the director wanted me to see, so I watched his cut.

The premise was OK - holiday Santa and his dwarf cohort play Santa and his elf at Christmas time so they can case out the department store and rob in on Christmas Eve. The Santa, of course, is a drunken, lecherous, foul-mouthed pig. SOme of the toilet humor and potty mouth was funny, but 90 minutes wore pretty thin for me. And, of course, in these PC times, NO Santa who behaved in this way (cursing at the kids, having sex with women in the changing rooms during his break while in his Santa costume and seen by the store manager) would last a day at ANY department store in this country.

And, the funny thing is that by the end, a kid makes him more kindly and agreeable and thoughtful. The movie is simply HEIDI with curse words.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2007, 08:23:31 PM »

I watched all of the special features: a blooper reel, some outtakes, some alternate scenes, a behind the scenes featurette, and Roger Ebert interviewing the director and film editor after the unrated cut was premiered somewhere (I'll have to look again at the notes to see where that took place.)

I got about 2/3 of the way through the audio commentary which I'll also finish up tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »

Oh, I did go to the unrated cut of the film and saw some of the changes. Longer scenes with more profanity, some profane voiceover narration that's been removed, and a different ending that's more slapstick funny. The ending on the director's cut is sweeter and more whimsical.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

And then I watched TORCHWOOD. Good episode. I wondered when they were going to put those creatures from the premiere episode back into play.

Of course, the plot of the episode resembles nothing more than FIGHT CLUB, but I kind of thought that's where it was going when we were walking around the guy's apartment and there are boxing gloves all over the place and posters of fighters on the walls.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

The previews for next week look particularly good. It's the penultimate episode of the season.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2007, 08:27:10 PM »

...my niece Alison, who can be extremely touchy at times...announced she was going back to Tennessee...God knows she's a raging Drama Queen at times.  

...I'm sorry she and her family won't be here tomorrow. Maybe Lady M will show up to take her place.  Oy.
Or maybe Lady M will join her in Tennessee, so they can exchange notes on how to be a Drama Queen.  Or how to rage.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »

Time to quit for the night.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:04 PM »

Good for you! NO MAN SHOULD EVER VOLUNTARILY SHAVE HIS CHEST!

You got that right!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

GEORGE,
I'm so glad that Ebonie is doing well.

Thanks!  Me, too. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »

Going to write for a bit and then head downstairs to bed.

Good night!

George

« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »

Well, today I saw the matinee performance of Whistle Down the Wind[/b] in Seattle.  Here's what DR Matthew wrote about the show, when he saw it:

Last night, the DP and I traveled to Sacramento and saw the National Tour of Whistle Down the Wind.  An ALW show that I've never seen and one Cast Recording that I was never too excited about.  The show was really good.  However, the direction was lacking.  It was rather slow.  The cast was great and the kids were fantastic.  I didn't have high expectations going in to the show and I didn't tell the DP the plot for fear he may not be interested.  In the end, I was quite surprised about what a cute little show this actually is and it even has a message.  The DP found the conductor distracting as he has bopping around like a metronome, actually, he was the metronome as he was playing while conducting.  I had seen this guy conduct before, I believe it was the National Tour of Hairspray and he is quite animated.  The band was great, however.  I think I'd want to see the show again, and I hope it becomes available to do someday as it definitely has possibilities and charm.

I agree with most of what he said (especially about the conductor and the direction), except that overall, I don't think I liked the show as much as Matthew. :-\ And I'm sure that it didn't help that I got there 10 minutes after it started...dammit. :P My bad.  Anyway, I enjoyed being there and watching it (and most of the men were certainly nice to look at up close...me, being in the third row! ;)), but overall, it just didn't do anything for me.  I liked the "Songs from Whistle Down the Wind" CD more than the original London cast, which they were selling in the lobby.  This new version also seems to have a lot more spoken dialogue than the CD.  The set was great and the singers were very good, but there just seemed (to me) to be too many "internal monologues" where people just stood there and sang...and just stood there.  I think that if they release a new recording of this version, I'll enjoy that more.  Just my 2¢.

George

« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2007, 08:53:07 PM »

And also being sold in the lobby was the debut solo CD for the girl playing Swallow, Andrea Ross.  She was very good and had a wonderful voice. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »

Good Evening!

Hmm... Seems like rough seas tonight.   Well, at least right now.  I hope they don't stay rough.  I'd always rather be the one causing the rockin' anyway.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »

So... I disembark tomorrow morning, then head to Disneyworld where I will be staying at the Coronado Springs Resort, and then I plan to hit as many of the Parks and as many of the rides as I possibly can before the Parks close tomorrow night.  :)  -I really just want to see the "Finding Nemo" stage show since I played all the New York City auditions for it last year.  Alas, I don't think any of the original cast members are still with the show, but I still want to see it.  And then I'll probably finish my day at Epcot watching the fireworks, although there's been a "rumor" that there may be a group heading to Dolly Parton's Dixieland Stampede.  :)  We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »

Oh.. Make that Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2007, 09:17:53 PM »

Yes... The Holiday version of the show is currently up and running.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »

In other news...

What's all this talk about snow?

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »

DR SWW - Chestnuts and Brussel Sprouts actually go together very well in one dish.  Sort of like Green Beans Almondine, without the green beans or the almonds.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »

And now, I'm going to finish watching "Ghost Whisperer."  

The last 5 episodes were all writen by different writers.

The ghosts did not inhabit the father/daughter, they "overlayed" (I think that was the phrase) them - meaning they appeared different to outside observers.

Why is that supernatural manifestation more unbelievable than the other goings on?

der Brucer

The term wasn't "overlayed."  Jay Mohr's character said that it was called "oppression," which is not the same thing as "possession," but I don't remember the distinction.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:25:08 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »

Well... The boat is still doing a bit of this of that, which is making my head feel a bit like this and that, so...

Again, I hope everyone has been having a wonderful weekend.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »

Topic of the Day:  The Beatles...not really a fan at all.  I enjoy listening to songs of theirs if they're on, but I've never gotten any of their recordings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2007, 10:58:12 PM »

It is now meaningless to have a solo CD - when I began producing them, with Liz Callaway being the first, basically no one was doing them at all, save for an odd one every now and then.  I remember Liz asking what the market would be for such a thing, and my replying "I'm going to create the market."  And for years, I did, and each album was special for the artist because very few had them.  Now everyone, from Audra to people who've been in the business ten minutes have a debut album.  Meaningless.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »

I've finished watching DVDs for the evening.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up