Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A BEACHED WHALE LIVING IN A FOOL'S PARADISE  (Read 22454 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:A BEACHED WHALE LIVING IN A FOOL'S PARADISE
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »

(((FJL))) it sounds like a very fitting memorial for your cousin. Even thought it is under sad circumstances, I hope you have good visits with your family members.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:31 AM »

Sorry for your loss, DR FJL, and ***SAFE TRAVELS***.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 07:21:03 AM »

DR FJL - hope your trip to MA is smooth and that you and your family find comfort in each other's company.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 07:36:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: DEIPNOSOPHIST!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  DINNER WITH GERSHWIN

Thanks to Donna Summer

" I want to have Dinner with Gershwin

I want to watch Rembrandt Sketch

I want to Talk Theory With Curie

On a Rendezvouz impossible I guess "

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 07:39:42 AM »

Good morning!

It must have dropped below freezing last night because my heat has been running on and off all morning. It's gorgeous outside, exactly what I imagine fall ought to look like: clear blue sky, leaves either gone or going from the trees, cold but not uncomfortably so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 07:40:34 AM »

Wishing you the best, DR FJL, on your trip. Godspeed.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »

Today will be a "me" day where I watch the things I want to watch. I'll finish SPELLBOUND. I plan to watch SPIDER-MAN 3 on Blu-ray tonight.

TORCHWOOD airs its penultimate episode tonight, and from everything I've read, it's supposed to be one of the most memorable of the season. Looking forward to that.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »

I woke up this morning wanting a steak dinner at Outback with Bloomin' onion, etc. I haven't been there in at least a couple of years.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the new Holmes books, DR td. Are they as good as Nicholas Meyer's two wonderful books?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »

Good morning, all! I believe my decrepit kitchen stove, not the basement boiler after all, is the source of the carbon monoxide, since I spent most of yesterday feeling very flu-ish.  I had been boiling water all day to steam up the apartment and I couldn't figure out why I had felt so good in Ohio and so puny in Manhattan.  I'll report it on Monday to my landlord and see if they can get someone in to check out/replace the stove.

The holiday work continues.

!!!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!!!

While I don't want to get into the ENCHANTED debate, it seems that there's no way out of over-analyzing a charming notion: the piece is full of ironies: Manhattan is the place "where there are no happy endings" is a funny premise and a fallacy, Idina Menzell's character was waiting for the wrong prince; if you consider her the Nurse Jane-dreaded JAP, then she's more royalty in Manhattan than a fairy tale character living in the woods can ever be to marry a bona fide prince in this world or the next. Doesn't the Cinderella moment of Giselle's glass slipper ends fitting Idina Menzell's foot pass the title on?

What I loved about the film, beyond the references to classic Disney animation, is the notion of turning fairy-tales on their heads or reworking familiar themes:
   Clueless Patrick Dempsey is the Sleeping Beauty; he may have to wake Giselle from the ever-present Snow White situation but she's the sword-weilding rescuer, and this story has several fairy-tale elements
   1.  King Kong/Beauty and the Beast
   2.  La Belle au Bois Dormant in Perrault's version with even the wicked queen showing up
   3.  St George and the Dragon

There'as a bit of Persephone and the Underworld; if the myth is about six months of winter, then Giselle's descent to hell (Manhattan) brings spring to Dempsey's young daughter and wakes her from her frozen state, another version of the Snow White andSleeping Beauty stories.

Aren't the Central Park celebrants - and all their celebrations and customs (several myths there) - a reflection on the happy folk of Oz in a 1939 film based on an American fairy tale based on the folk hero's quest?

Also, I love the premise  - from the early 19th Century tales of Hoffmann to HP Lovecraft and on - that other worlds co-exist with our concept of reality and that they often merge to happiness, or madness and beyond.

I don't believe this is a folktheme, but it's certainly a common theme in the media: the social event - in this case a ball - where the masks are dropped and everyone seen with their true face.

I'm still pondering this; there's more and I may need a second or third viewing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:17:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »

I bought a one cent used copy of THE LIST OF SEVEN to give it a try. I'll let you know what I think, DR td, once I have a chance to read it. I'm thinking I'll have some time over CHristmas week when DVD releases usually slow down.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 08:12:10 AM »

Thanks so much for the travel wishes and thoughts for the memorial for my cousin.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »

Thanks so much for the travel wishes and thoughts for the memorial for my cousin.  

Add me to that list as well, DR FJL. I know too well how intense these situations can be.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:59 AM »

Heading down now to tidy up my bedroom, check the mail, and then start on fixing lunch.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:55 AM »

FJL-

Also-Add me to the list

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2007, 08:29:40 AM »

Vibes to FJL.

Sherlock Holmes books:
 I mentioned this some time ago in another context, but there's a fun read out there called The Case of the Philosopher's Ring, where Sherlock goes up against "the wickedest man in the world," Sgt. Pepper cover boy (among other accompishments) Aleister Crowley.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »

Re:  no crowds.  We were pleasantly surprised when we took the kids swimming last night--our local community center was pretty danged near empty.  The kids pretty much had the "fun" pool to themselves whilst Betsy and I swam laps pretty much by ourselves in the lap pool.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »

Hello, Dear Reader DanisesNiece!  We're very glad you've decided to join us!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2007, 08:55:26 AM »

And we're very glad you've been so very kind to our DR Danise through all the difficulties of the past year.

DaNiece

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »

(My niece, Debi, might be joining us here on HHW.)

Hello ...  it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, DR Aunt Danise.
Third cup of tea, two loads of wash and one sore body from yesterdays shopping marathon and now this ;)! I am too excited.

Debi

singdaw

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »

How's the weather in Pittsburgh, DR DanisesNiece?

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »

Welcome, DR Da'Niece!  We have heard so many lovely things about you and we're so glad you've decided to join the fun!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »

Well, the Thanksgiving II dishes are all cleaned up and it's time for me to leave to pick up my mother.  See y'all after Mamma Mia!

Bye for now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2007, 09:08:09 AM »

This is just a quick note to let you all know that I am modem-deprived with my new computer, and that means I cannot hook up same to the internet until such time as a modem is obtained (AT&T took off Thursday and Friday and doesn't "work" on weekends!).

Thus, at home, I am incommunicado from the civilized world of instant communications (unless you count the telephone).

I dropped into my office this morning to check on an eBay auction (which I WON), check mail (YES!) and to leave this note for all of you (CHECK!).

My new computer is VERY gorgeous...or maybe it's just that 22" flat-panel LCD screen that makes me feel that way (an major upgrade from the postage-stamp screen I WAS using).

If you think of me...and one or two of you will....be kind!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 09:08:40 AM »

I expect DR Ginny will be boogie-ing in the aisles!  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »

P.S.   I attempted to resinstall my old computer until such time as a modem could be obtained.  But drat! the cat! I still cannot get an internet connection.

I'm not computer-intelligent enough to know what to look for (some simple reconfiguration...or perhaps it's because I'm using the new monitor with the old hard drive???).  At any rate....I'm hosed.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:10:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »

think of me...

Sorry to break the news, but...

Sir Lloyd Webber already did!  ;)

Glad you are pleased with your new computer.  Sounds like it will be fabulous when you are all hooked up!  :)  And just think how much larger all of our gorgeous avatars will appear!    :P

DaNiece

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »

How's the weather in Pittsburgh, DR DanisesNiece?

Thank you for asking. The weather is lovely. Peering from my kitchen window (which by the way needs cleaned...ugh!) I'd say the temp is 40ish outside. All in all not bad for November. What part of the world are you?

singdaw

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2007, 09:18:31 AM »

I'm in the NY metro area, north of the city - Westchester County - not all that far from you!  We've also got a gorgeous autumn day, though a bit colder - it was 25 when I walked the dog this morning, and we're now in the mid 30s.  There are still brilliant gold trees here with plenty of leaves to catch the sun.

DaNiece

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2007, 09:21:28 AM »

Welcome, DR Da'Niece!  We have heard so many lovely things about you and we're so glad you've decided to join the fun!

Well, thank you, DR Ginny! I've heard many wonderful stories about everyone. I couldn't wait to join the fun.

I like it ... "Da'Niece".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up