Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: OUTRE PLUS  (Read 29738 times)

Kerry

Re:OUTRE PLUS
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 07:24:13 AM »

The eagerly awaited Jupiter-Pluto union at 29 degrees of Sagittarius takes place at 11:26AM PST.

This conjunction is definitely an active force all-day and for the next couple of days as well.

Clearly, any goals and plans on the higher educational and literary fronts can be developed and strengthened - leading to success and fortune in the future.

You should concentrate on finishing old business on a high note during this 29+ hour twilight zone.

I'm going to have to work fast then! ::)
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DRGINNY!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 07:25:24 AM »

Happy, Happy Birthday, Ginny!!!

I hope HahahahahaRichard has something wonderful planned for your celebration!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Kerry

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2007, 07:27:38 AM »

Miss Karen - there's a novel and musical (which we saw in chicago a few years back) called TAKING CARE OF MRS. CARROLL.  Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

They made a musical out of it?  I loved the book years ago.  Was it Paul Monette?
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

Good morning!

Can you believe it got up to 80 yesterday! Set a record for Charlotte. Supposed to be 80 again today, too! Summer in December - a song title, right?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »

I'm starting a new job today with a new client at a new post place. (That's 3 news!)

Greg had a shoot today at 8. He woke up at 7:30---turns out the housesitter had set our clock to PM  insteade of the usual AM, so it didn't go off at 6 as it should have. So I had to help Greg get ready to go, which made me late, and before I left, Elmo the cow cat hurled on two different oriental rugs.

But it didn't end there. I filled up a bottle with water, drove to my job, struggled to find the place and get into the building, only to find that the water bottle, which looked like mine, was actually one that one of our housesitters left, and it was missing its stopper. So the entire contents of my bag, which hadn't been unpacked since I got back, was full of water. My camera, checkbook and date book, among other things, is drenched.

Fortunately my client isn't here. But unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »

I read in TV GUIDE last night that JOURNEYMAN is showing two episodes next week: its regular Monday night episode and then its final filmed episode on WEdnesday at 10 (when all is revealed about Dan's time traveling).

I guess folks found the pilot hard to follow and didn't come back or they thought this was going to be another QUANTUM LEAP which it wasn't. Sad to see a quality show fail to reach an audience.

Kerry

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »

TOD:  I miss the card catalogue files in libraries, searching through the little drawers and discovering a number of treasures as they flipped by.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:15 AM »

I adore computers for writing. When I was writing using a typewriter, I used tons of white-out and correction strips because I was constantly changing wording, and I often had to retype everything due to so many changes and improvements.

I bought my first computer (Atari 800XL) strictly as a word processor. It did a wonderful job with that (no spell check with the earliest word processors), but I quickly began learning other things that could be done with the computer than just writing. Now, I can't imagine my life without it.

Favorite thing about computers: instant access to a world of information on the internet.

Least favorite thing: con artists who use the internet to try to scam innocent victims. So easy to do because it's such an anonymous medium.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2007, 07:39:07 AM »

All my favorite shows are reruns tonight, but if any of you who like BONES didn't watch it during its first season, tonight's Christmas-episode is a MUST. It's gloriously emotional with great holiday spirit and a murder to solve that leads to a heart-breaking revelation.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »

Today I'll be finishing up with the bonus features on LOST (there are HOURS of them), and then tonight I'll be watching TWO-LANE BLACKTOP, Criterion's latest release. It's a two disc set, too, so lots of bonus features to get through there, too.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »

TOD: I like the internet because I have met new people, I like the convenience of the internet shopping and charity donations, I like communicating by email, I like booking airline tickets and motel reservations online, I like the way you can look something up quickly while you are still interested in knowing about something, etc., I like that I can do a search on a phone number on my caller id to see if it is a spammer (www.whocalled.us)

I don't like that people can spy on you and get personal information (how much your house is worth, etc.) I found myself listed with my address, place of work, my job title, and my age. That's freaky. I don't know where they got that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:43:57 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »

Thank you, DRs FJL<blush>, Kerry, and Edisaurus.

We are going to dinner tonight at one of my all-time favorite restaurants:

The Grand Finale
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2007, 07:42:40 AM »

One of Ramon Navarro's last appearances is as a crazed Mexican dictator in a 3rd season episode of Wild, Wild West.

And I must repeat, just because it made me LOL when BK said it with such earnest urgency when he was up here a couple of years ago, "'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' was a big hit.  A big hit!"
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2007, 07:43:33 AM »

Re JOURNEYMAN:

Now that Reed Diamond's character had been tipped-off to what his brother is doing and why he's away from home at odd intervals, the character has become much more accessible, and the tension present between the family has a different feel (and much less ugly). That ugliness might also have caused people to drift away from the show during the middle episodes.

JMK

« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »

I'm starting a new job today with a new client at a new post place. (That's 3 news!)

Greg had a shoot today at 8. He woke up at 7:30---turns out the housesitter had set our clock to PM  insteade of the usual AM, so it didn't go off at 6 as it should have. So I had to help Greg get ready to go, which made me late, and before I left, Elmo the cow cat hurled on two different oriental rugs.

But it didn't end there. I filled up a bottle with water, drove to my job, struggled to find the place and get into the building, only to find that the water bottle, which looked like mine, was actually one that one of our housesitters left, and it was missing its stopper. So the entire contents of my bag, which hadn't been unpacked since I got back, was full of water. My camera, checkbook and date book, among other things, is drenched.

Fortunately my client isn't here. But unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing!

Drying out the contents of your bag would be my first choice.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2007, 07:45:17 AM »

See Ramon Navarro in the silent BEN-HUR (nice views of his torso, DR MBarnum). He's also in MATI HARI with Greta Garbo, an intriguing film.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »

One of Ramon Navarro's last appearances is as a crazed Mexican dictator in a 3rd season episode of Wild, Wild West.

And I must repeat, just because it made me LOL when BK said it with such earnest urgency when he was up here a couple of years ago, "'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' was a big hit.  A big hit!"

It ranked 17th on the list of the highest grossing pictures of the year just ahead of JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG.

Edisaurus

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 07:52:33 AM »

TOD:  I miss the card catalogue files in libraries, searching through the little drawers and discovering a number of treasures as they flipped by.

Nicholson Baker wrote a very nice piece (obit) about the demise of card catalogues. Can't remember where I read it...

Edisaurus

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »

Drying out the contents of your bag would be my first choice.

Mine, too. I don't know what these people think of me coming in here and spreading all my stuff around teh editing room to dry out, but at least I'm tucked into a back room.

I'm working for TLC/Discovery.

JMK

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2007, 07:56:32 AM »

It ranked 17th on the list of the highest grossing pictures of the year just ahead of JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG.

He was talking about the song, which we had (the horror!) placed in our flop medley in the Bacharach revue, mostly because of its hilarious lyric.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2007, 08:02:22 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to our own DR Ginny!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »

He was talking about the song, which we had (the horror!) placed in our flop medley in the Bacharach revue, mostly because of its hilarious lyric.

Oops! (Spoo!) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »

TOD -

Nicholson Baker wrote a very nice piece (obit) about the demise of card catalogues. Can't remember where I read it...

That was in The New Yorker, IIRC.  Yes, many are nostalgic for the card catalog, but I gotta tell you, it was a very labor-intensive resource.  Professionally speaking, I would not want us to go back, but I do like to set up our internal version of our online catalog to emulate the flipping of catalog cards.

The computer has, of course, impacted my profession dramatically.  On the good side, there's the inventory control, tying holdings and circulation records, and on and on.  Digitization of reference sources is amazing, when sound and images are done right.  The Internet, both for information and communications, is a mixed blessing.  The abundance and speed are useful, but our ability to ascertain credibility ("On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog") has become a challenge.  And the chat reference that we've started doing in recent years has raised patrons' expectations that we can respond more quickly than is sometimes humanly possible.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2007, 08:09:44 AM »

Thank you, DR MattH!

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »

I'm heading down now to get a jump start on the rest of those LOST bonus features.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »

We're doing a Secret Santa giftshare at Cinderella and I got the best CD-R of a jazz vocalist/bassist (yep, she does both) I'd never heard of, Kristin Korb.  I highly recommend her to all.  Really unique version of "Loverly" on this CD.

Kerry

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2007, 08:18:56 AM »

DRMusic Guy was once ON a cruise ship back from Australia in the late 60's and Ramon Navarro was aboard (unfrtunately basically sloshed and letching after the cabin boys).  It was  just before Mr. Novarro's tragic death.  But, yes Ramon Navarrro was gorgeous and talented.
Speaking of silent films brings to mind another MusicGuy story. He was living in San Francisco in about 1967 and played organ for a series of silent film showings at the Avenue Theatre.  It was very much of a Mickey and Judy "Let's all put a show in the barn" type of thing with everyone doing jjust about everything.  They were all there late one night, and a kid stopped by and asked if this was the place where they showed "those quiet movies."  I still crack up thinking of silent films as "those quiet movies."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:23:04 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:45 AM »

I must also temper my comments about the church shooting in Colorado--the first news reports we heard said the guy was homeless and had been refused shelter.  It turns out he had been a missionary student there who had been kicked out and held a grudge.  That said, he had evidently been sending hate mail to them for years and no one did anything. . .

Edisaurus

« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2007, 08:33:32 AM »

DRMusic Guy was once a cruise ship

That MusicGuy leads such a diverse life. No wonder he's E&T!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up