Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE YEAR THAT WAS  (Read 29910 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE YEAR THAT WAS
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »

I just ordered several CDs from Amazon including some from THE BRASS RING and SINGERS UNLMITED (their Christmas album). Almost bought the Patrick Williams SINATRALAND cd, but will wait on that until next time.

As DR Singdaw mentioned, this HHW sight sure does cost me a lot of money!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »

Good day...

I am safely back in Fargo...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2007, 01:44:59 PM »

I also wrote a very even-keeled response to that silly e-mail from the director of The Kid From Brooklyn.  It was a very angry letter, even though he was accusing me of being a bitter, angry, and jealous nobody.  I informed him that while being a nobody would be in the eye of the beholder, I was neither bitter, angry, nor jealous - of what, I wonder?  I guess anyone who doesn't like his show and says so is a bitter, angry, and jealous nobody.

When I lunched with the show's star, he asked if I'd like to come see it again, as they've been putting in little changes.  I said I'd be happy to.  The director, at the end of his e-mail, literally said the following - "stay away from my production" - a little schoolyardish for my taste.  He did say if I was coming back I could just buy a ticket.  I had to remind him that I HAD bought a ticket the first time I saw it.  People.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2007, 01:45:25 PM »

Will we never get to page five?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »

Four hours to Sweeney Todd.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »

Well... All that is left to do is to cook up the ground beef and chicken breasts, and warm up the taco shells (hard and soft).

It's been nice being "domestic" for the past few hours.  And I didn't have to don that French main's uniform I usually am asked to wear.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »

Yep, Emily's a cutie!  And I've been wondering if I should send that picture into The Gap.  I guess she could possibly start a new trend of using underwear as a hat.  ;)

Thanks for all the compliments.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »

BK - So... In his letter, did he give any inkling if he was upset with his lead/star of the show?  I mean, it takes two "to lunch".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »

Welcome back to Fargo, DR DakotaCelt.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

I believe Steve's mother has arrived, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »

It has been so dark and gloomy all day long. It is also colder outside right now than it was when I went out to get the newspaper this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »

I spent a large portion of the afternoon watching GUNSMOKE episodes. Very entertaining shows, and they look simply wonderful. The black and white is rich, rich, rich. And the image is far sharper than many things I watch on DVD now that are from current masters.

In one episode, this women was trying to locate her son from a Cheyenne tribe who had taken him at age 2. She looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place her. When the credits came up, it was Marian Seldes!

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2007, 02:27:26 PM »

Another episode had a very familar face I had no trouble recognizing - Cloris Leachman.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »

I also watched yesterday's AS THE WORLD TURNS. You were right, DR Elmore. Very, very little of substance, and the gay characters weren't featured on the previews for next week.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »

Has anyone else seen this photo?

It is really sweet.  Unfortunately, I also think it has been retouched; but even so, it is one of those photos that makes you go, AWWWWWWWW.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »

Hi TCB, it is nice to see you.  

BIG, BIG, VIBES YOU ARE FEELING MUCH BETTER BY MONDAY!!![/size]

FJL

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2007, 02:54:02 PM »

TCB - Thanks for your message. I'll have to watch what I type.  :) :)

Continued recovery vibes to you.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »

I guess she could possibly start a new trend of using underwear as a hat.  ;)

Hasn't DR Sandra already done that?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:14:54 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2007, 03:06:22 PM »

I think he expressed his displeasure to his star and probably has continued to rant on on a daily basis, at least that's what I got from the tone of his e-mail.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »

I'm heading back down now to rejoin the folks in Dodge City.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »

I think he expressed his displeasure to his star and probably has continued to rant on on a daily basis, at least that's what I got from the tone of his e-mail.

Do I sense "control issues"?

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

I continue to be amazed by the emotional potency of The Drowsy Chaperone.

Bob Saget was a wee bit ill, but a glorious actor.  For some reason, this was not a heavy-laughing audience today, but there's a realism in Saget's acting that made the show land even more emotionally than the times I'd seen the show in the past.  Saget embodies the sadness of Man in Chair's wasted life (you believe that he had been married, and that someone like the male lead in the show-within-a-show could have been a realistic love interest for him had Man In Chair not been burned to the point of pushing people away.)

Danny Burstein is just great, as always.  It's a hilarious marvel of a performance, as ever, and as so many (including me) have written about at length online and elsewhere.

Cindy Williams is just a little less daffy than Georgia Engel was, but a terrific terrific stage presence and (dare I say it lest it get back to Georgia Engel and Edward Hibbert :) ) a better romantic match with the paramour she ends up with.  This was my favorite rendition of the "older couple's" comic duet.  Danny introduced Skip and me to Cindy Williams, and on the outside I was saying "Bruce Kimmel asked us to send his love, we've worked with him on an album, etc" but in my head I was thinking "Aaaaaaaaaah, I'm really meeting Cindy Williams, I can't f****ing believe it."  She was so nice to us, and what a pleasure to see her perform so wonderfully!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »

I'm sure he's made it as unpleasant as he can, which is a shame.  As I told him, I've gotten plenty of bad reviews from actual critics - it happens, and all one can do is not pay attention or, if they have some valid point that makes you look at what you've done and at least think about it, take what you will from it.  Same with the good ones.  But, if some person on a website, who has some history with musical theater, says something and has criticisms, I might not be happy about the tone, but I'd certainly think about what was being said.  The show has garnered pretty good reviews, but most of them have at least mentioned that the book is not the show's strong suit.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2007, 03:20:26 PM »

Glad to hear  Cindy was fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »

How can we STILL be on page four?  What if the producer, co-writer, director lurks today - he'll add unpopular to his list.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »

I'm going to leave shortly, take some trade material to Amoeba, see what's new, and then be on my way to the DGA.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »

Welcome thirteen GUESTS.  Are one of you... nah.  I do, of course, wish Mr. Childers well in all he does - he's a mature individual, and a terrifically nice guy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »

Thanks Cilla, Dakota, Jeanne, & Jose.  I didn’t mean for it to sound scary.  It isn’t, more annoying than anything.  I’ve had this so many years it is just routine, those anti-inflammatory meds just kicked it up a number of notches.  I guess it’s leveling off now.  I know tons of people who have uneven heart beats, it doesn’t mean anything.  I would have liked the test to confirm that & given me an idea if the not breathing thing is related to my heart.  My theory is I hold my breath as I’m drifting off to sleep, in order to keep from falling.  ;D Does anyone else have that sensation of falling as they fall to sleep?

Jeanne, you could be right about a magnesium deficiency, though blood work has never shown one.  My goal in the NY will be to find some sort of extra magnesium I can tolerate.  

I had an irregular heart beat that they discovered when I gave blood on 9-11.  (It was all we could do here in the hinterlands).  I went through all the tests, was told I was out of shape - well duh - and that I have inverted T waves that turn normal when I exercise.  For whatever it's worth. They said I was fine and interestingly enough I haven't had that happen since then.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »

How can we STILL be on page four?  What if the producer, co-writer, director lurks today - he'll add unpopular to his list.

Perhaps FJL can do an "Un-PopUlar, I'm Un-PopUlar" ditty in his honor.

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »

DR Jose, thanks for the comments yesterday. I never know what or how much to say here about the political whirlpool called Iowa that I'm living in right now.  It is what's going on all around me so it's what I have to talk about. I've tried to be as even handed about it as I can so as not to offend people while still describing the experience.

Your comments actually have encouraged me to go see Chris Dodd tonight.  I have wanted to go thank him for going back to DC and fillabustering the FISA bill.  Whether or not you agree with the issues, he was the only senator running for President who went back and did his job as a senator while the others stayed here and campaigned about how they didn't like the bill. I think he deserves to be thanked for that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:36:11 PM by Cillaliz »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up