Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAGING HEADACHE  (Read 66638 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE RAGING HEADACHE
« Reply #420 on: January 30, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »

I like the loud speaker approach.

Surreptitiously loosen two valve stems - that will leave a lasting impression.

der Brucer

If you have a kind heart, just do one so AAA can change a tire.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #421 on: January 30, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

Sounds wonderful!!  How was the show?

I liked Brian D'Arcy James - that man can sing anything!  And I was able to catch up with Asa Somers after the show too.  And the young actor playing the son has nice abs.  ;)

As for the show itself, well... All I will say for now is that there is a lot of music.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #422 on: January 30, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »

DR Jane - Congratulations!!!!!

*Web cams are relatively cheap... Maybe you could send one to them as a gift.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #423 on: January 30, 2008, 08:52:15 PM »

Muse Margaret called and enjoyed the new pages and likes where things are heading.  She did have one problem, which we discussed, a sequence where a lot of information is reiterated - but because I'd done similar reiterations just before and just after, she got bored in that section - I went back and read it and boy was she right.  She basically only had two things she thought I should take out, which I did, but as I read it, I just kept cutting, eventually taking out two pages, and just giving a precis of the info from the 3rd person narrator rather than in endless dialogue from the character.  So what took five speeches, takes two sentences, and it's really much better.  She couldn't talk anymore tonight, so I'll read her the redo when I get back from my breakfast meeting at around ten-thirty.  I think she'll like it better - I was also able to inject some more humor into it, which is good.  So, if she likes the cuts, then it's on to the finish line.

MBarnum

« Reply #424 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »

DR Jane, my time away from HHW was mostly uneventful, however yesterday was quite exciting!

I just started helping out with an organization called Checkpoint One Foundation which is run by a local soldier recently back from Iraq who has been working tirelessly to bring the interpreters that he worked with in Baghdad here to the US.....

You can read about his efforts here....
http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071122/NEWS/711220333/1001

MBarnum

« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »

...............as some of you may recall, several months ago my brother Jeff and I had discussed the plight of Iraqi interpreters and how they and their families are targeted, and how the govt is doing nothing to assist.  Shortly after that I found Jason's organization which he had just begun here in the Salem/ Portland area and had gotten one family to Salem, already. I donated some money and offered my services...well, last night we moved a second family into an apartment in Salem, right next door to the family that arrived last November.

It was great to meet both families...the Murad's have 3 kids age 3, 6 and 7 and the new family also have 3 children age 3, 13, and 14. I brought gift baskets of household items for the adults and each kid got a basket of age appropriate toys and CDs, plus I donated the 2 CD players that I had in the garage, which I was no longer using

This weeked I will take over my old TV and dvd player and some other items I no longer need and then soon I will probably take the new couple out to purchase needed items for their new hom.

It is very exciting and I am just so happy that Jason and his organization (which consists mostly of him and his wife) have succeeded in getting two families to safety...but gosh it is a convaluted and expensive process. There is another family of 4 stranded in Jordan who are running out of money and time...they can't return to Bagdahd and they are having troubles with the visa process because one of their names is a close match to the name on the terrorist list...so it is slowing the process to a crawl...and frankly, the US govt at this time has little if any interest in helping these people, regardless of the fact they have put their own lives on the line to help the U.S.

So that has been my main project of late...that and watching Bollywood movies.

Cillaliz

« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »

...............as some of you may recall, several months ago my brother Jeff and I had discussed the plight of Iraqi interpreters and how they and their families are targeted, and how the govt is doing nothing to assist.  Shortly after that I found Jason's organization which he had just begun here in the Salem/ Portland area and had gotten one family to Salem, already. I donated some money and offered my services...well, last night we moved a second family into an apartment in Salem, right next door to the family that arrived last November.

It was great to meet both families...the Murad's have 3 kids age 3, 6 and 7 and the new family also have 3 children age 3, 13, and 14. I brought gift baskets of household items for the adults and each kid got a basket of age appropriate toys and CDs, plus I donated the 2 CD players that I had in the garage, which I was no longer using

This weeked I will take over my old TV and dvd player and some other items I no longer need and then soon I will probably take the new couple out to purchase needed items for their new hom.

It is very exciting and I am just so happy that Jason and his organization (which consists mostly of him and his wife) have succeeded in getting two families to safety...but gosh it is a convaluted and expensive process. There is another family of 4 stranded in Jordan who are running out of money and time...they can't return to Bagdahd and they are having troubles with the visa process because one of their names is a close match to the name on the terrorist list...so it is slowing the process to a crawl...and frankly, the US govt at this time has little if any interest in helping these people, regardless of the fact they have put their own lives on the line to help the U.S.

So that has been my main project of late...that and watching Bollywood movies.

MBarnum, what a wonderful thing to be involved in!  

MBarnum

« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:47 PM »

DR MBarnum - I sold books and watched Bollywood movies in your absence.

TD, have you seen DIL CHAHTA HAI? I bought it and it looks really good..gonna watch it this weekend!

MBarnum

« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »

I sure do hope DR JRand57 gets on Jeopardy!.

Then I could say that I know a real ce-le-bri-TEE.  :)

Well, you do know DR Rodzinski, costar of the straight to video movies WORLD OF THE WEREWOLF and ALIEN CONSPIRACY 2.

Tomovoz

« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »

Great story Michael. I hope the familes settle in well and that the neighbourhood is supportive.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

Jose - Studying the Playbill a bit, I noticed that Anthony Rapp is the assistant director on the show, so I'm wondering if he's there at just about every performance.

MBarnum

« Reply #431 on: January 30, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »

Well, there was a rather frightening drunk tenant who was harrasing us last night and I believe has confronted Murad's wife (who wears a burqua) and scared her...I know he scared me! Jason took care of him, however, I think.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:29 PM »

Jose - Studying the Playbill a bit, I noticed that Anthony Rapp is the assistant director on the show, so I'm wondering if he's there at just about every performance.

Ah, OK.  Guess I should take a closer look at the Playbill myself.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »

DearREaderLaura, your quotes are priceless...you must get DR Sandra to write a book!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #434 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »

Well, time for me to get ready for bed.

'Night.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2008, 10:23:23 PM »

By the time I finished revising that six page section of the book it was too late to watch a motion picture on DVD, so I did another LP transfer.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2008, 10:57:01 PM »

Great story Michael. I hope the familes settle in well and that the neighbourhood is supportive.

Well, if the new-comers insist on maintaining medieval dress codes (burkas), I suspect the neighborhood will be less than welcoming.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »

Notes are written early for once and will be posted right on time.  Listening to a beautiful CD with wonderful orchestrations by Don Sebesky, a Japanese import.  The CD is a Japanese import, not Mr. Sebesky.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »

Now listening to another Japanese import, a Gary McFarland album.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #439 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

Plus there are supposed to be extras (interesting comments at the bottom of the screen). I wonder if this will give some insight into something i might not have understood.

Undoubtedly.  It sure caught me up.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up