Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW EVERYTHING  (Read 21604 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:NEW EVERYTHING
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2004, 08:24:58 AM »

Happy Birthdays to DONALD and DR KERRY!   ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2004, 08:44:13 AM »

The secret of "Fantasy" - "Realism"!

Extracts from the Associated Press:

'King' Could Be First Fantasy to Take Oscar Crown
Saturday, January 31, 2004

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.  — E.T. (search) could not do it. Neither could Luke Skywalker (search) or Dorothy Gale. Yet Frodo Baggins (search) and his hobbit, elf and wizard pals are on the verge of claiming Academy Awards respectability for the land of make-believe.

Fantastical tales have a long and dismal Oscar history, but "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King" (search) looks ready to change that, taking front-runner status for best picture with a leading 11 Oscar nominations.

With "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien's epic Middle-earth adventure, director Peter Jackson has altered the face of fantasy. He crafted a world not only of dazzling visuals but also of heart, humor, three-dimensional characters and Shakespearean drama.

Jackson took Tolkien's highly literary text seriously, as have the fans who have shelled out $2.6 billion -- and counting -- worldwide
"Peter right from the beginning treated this as though he was making a historical drama. As though it was really based in reality," said Barrie Osborne, a producer on all three "Lord of the Rings" films. "That resonated through everything, the performances, the costumes, the armor. It's all real."

der Brucer (whose bladder happily endured ROTK)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 09:11:47 AM »

der Brucer (wondering if DR PANNI pronounces "Magyar" like "Mah-djar")

Igen. (That means yes.)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 09:16:15 AM »

I shall be errant and truant the better part of today, Dear Readers, as I am heading down to San Diego to catch a performance of Puccini's Turandot.  Not only is Turandot one of my favorite operas, this production was designed by artist David Hockney, so I am anticipating a great treat for the eyes as well as the ears.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2004, 09:21:44 AM »

I'm actually curious about Eszterhas' book (along the way he lost the final "Z" of his name - it should really be Eszterhasz) and will read it at some point. He's written some decent films along with the clunkers - THE MUSIC BOX being one. At least, I found it interesting - as the same year it came out I had one come out in Canada with a very similar theme. Mine was called TWO MEN and starred John Vernon, Lila Kedrova and Jan Rubes. The other of his movies that I quite liked was TELLING LIES IN AMERICA.

Panni

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2004, 09:23:14 AM »

Turandot one of my favorite operas, this production was designed by artist David Hockney, so I am anticipating a great treat for the eyes as well as the ears.
Sounds deevine. Expecting a full report with sketches.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

Sounds deevine. Expecting a full report with sketches.

If you want a great preview of the sketches to come, go to the San Diego Opera web site. They have a marvelous flash-media slide show from the production.

der Brucer (thinking the production looks very W.C. Fields - LUSH!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »

Good morning one and all and also all and one.  May I just pose one simple question this fine morning?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  We iz havin' a partay, don't you know?  I forgot to mention that today is Super Bowl Sunday.  Perhaps in honor of this fine day I shall go bowling and do just super.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2004, 09:50:03 AM »

Mine was called TWO MEN and starred John Vernon, Lila Kedrova and Jan Rubes.

Why does the IMDB give zilch for writing credits for TWO MEN?

der Brucer (anticipating a tale of Machiavellian treachery and intrigue)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2004, 09:52:55 AM »

Good morning!

Well... I finally got to bed around 4:30AM - ?!?!?  I can't believe I was so wide awake last night - after being so groggy - in a good way - after dinner (and the wine).  I guess the caffeine from the coffee we had with dessert kicked in.  Ah, well... Needless to say, I did not get up early today to head to brunch - I like going early before the crowd gets there, and before the place gets too smoky.  So, I think I'll head over around 1:30, and see what the crowd is like and grab a late brunch.  -I'm also still feeling full from last night's dinner, so I'm in no hurry right now to get some food in my stomach.

DR Jay - If I make it out to LA again later this year, can you take me to the Opera, to the Theatre, to the Movies and to the Cabaret?  I envy your cultural calendar.  -I'm still debating whether to head up to DC tomorrow night to catch a duo recital at the Kennedy Center that Renee Fleming and Susan Graham are presenting as part of the KenCen's Festival of France.  Although, I guess that will depend upon whether or not my car has been exorcised by tomorrow afternoon.

DR George - I've seen some good photos from the type of binoculars you have.  However, concert halls and concert hall lighting are never ideal places to take any type of picture unless you have some extra equipment.  A tripod would help, but for the "perfect" picture, you'd also have to ask your subject to stand very still - the zooming in makes the pics more prone to blurriness.  And I doubt Ms. Reeves - or any other performer - would have heeded that type of request. ;)

DR Danise - Enjoy your Diet Eve!  Any plans for a special meal and/or dessert... or desserts?  ;D

DR Jennifer - As for my "well" - Well, if I told you about it, then it would no longer be a secret.  :-X

And as for the Super Bowl today... Hmmm...  I know I'll be flipping over to HBO for "Sex and the City"... And will most likely check in on "Trading Spaces: Family"... And I will also probably check out the Paula Dean marathon on FoodTV - I can't remember who mentioned her counter-programming yesterday.  She's fun, but I will admit, some of her traditional Southern recipes are even too rich, too decadent for me at times!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2004, 10:14:58 AM »

Why does the IMDB give zilch for writing credits for TWO MEN?
der Brucer (anticipating a tale of Machiavellian treachery and intrigue)

No tale of Machiavellian treachery and intrigue, just IMDB incompetence.  I've given up on trying to correct things in my listing on that site. And the only "critique" they have of the film is a terrible one. The movie actually got a barrel of awards, both Canadian (Best of the TV-movie of the Year) and American.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2004, 10:23:56 AM »

...And I will also probably check out the Paula Dean marathon on FoodTV - I can't remember who mentioned her counter-programming yesterday.  She's fun, but I will admit, some of her traditional Southern recipes are even too rich, too decadent for me at times!

Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 20 to 24 servings

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus 8 more tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus additional butter, for greasing pan
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 egg, plus 2 eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick melted butter, and stir until well blended. Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.

In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth. Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula. Spread filling over cake mixture in pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.

Shucks, just a little butter (then a little more butter), then some cocoa to go with the chocolate, and, oh yes, a box of sugar.

der Brucer (thinking the ADA would not approve)

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2004, 10:24:11 AM »

DearReaderLaura, I am so sorry to hear about Roxie. My thoughts are with you and I hope you will keep all your good memories of her with you!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2004, 10:27:19 AM »

Happy Birthdays to the two birthday
boys!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Donald F![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR Kerry![/move]

CharlieToft

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2004, 11:31:49 AM »

Thank you for that, DerBrucer!

Now what I know what I'll make for tomorrow night's BLOOMER GIRL  (Barbara Cook TV version) party.
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2004, 11:33:17 AM »

DEAR READER Charlie Toft:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]W E L C O M E[/size][/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2004, 11:47:55 AM »

[size=10]Happy Kerry and Donald![/size]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]We promise not to tell DR Music Guy if you don't!   ::)[/move]

[size=10]Welcome DR Charlie Toft![/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2004, 11:50:44 AM »

DR Laura: My genuine sympathies.  I've been there myself; doing the right thing isn't always without it's own hurting.  Always remember that you were loved by Roxie, and still are by those of us here.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »

My thoughts to you DR Laura.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2004, 11:52:52 AM »

Welcome to this world DR Charlie Toft.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2004, 11:55:30 AM »

My problem with Paula Dean is that she uses packaged mixes for so many of her cakes.  I would think the results would vary greatly depending on which brand of mix she uses.

Of course, this always gives her the out if someone following her recipe has a terrible result, that they shouldn't have used "that" brand of mix.

Fie, I say.  Cooking from scratch is the best way to go!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2004, 12:09:11 PM »

Any movie that displays the charms of Sarah Miles in all their glory cannot be a bad thing.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »

DR George - I've seen some good photos from the type of binoculars you have.  However, concert halls and concert hall lighting are never ideal places to take any type of picture unless you have some extra equipment.  A tripod would help, but for the "perfect" picture, you'd also have to ask your subject to stand very still - the zooming in makes the pics more prone to blurriness.  And I doubt Ms. Reeves - or any other performer - would have heeded that type of request. ;)

You are definitely right about anyone standing still for a picture during a concert, but I was planning on trying it again outside when it's very bright out.  Hopefully that'll make all the difference...especially with the blurriness.

Today I'm ushering (yet again) for a local semi-professional production of The Rain Maker...or is it one word "Rainmaker"?  The company does good work and I've already heard good things about this show.  Otherwise, I have no interest in the StupidBowl...not even the commercials.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 12:19:03 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »

DR GEORGE "The Rainmaker" is one of my favorite plays!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2004, 01:06:05 PM »

Good afternoon!

Well, brunch was... OK.  Which is/was OK.  For some reason when I got there, I wanted lunch/dinner and not brunch, so instead of getting the Cajun Hash I had "planned" on, I went for a small Greek Salad and an order of Kalamaria.  Both were good - and very generous portions - but I think I should have stuck with brunch.  I'll know better next time.

After brunch, I headed into Carytown and picked up a copy of the New York Times, as well as a bag of goodies from the chocolate shop.  -And I think I'll be eating my goodies for snacks and dinner. ;)

OH!!!  And I can just sense the anger brewing in the air in my neighborhood - THE CABLE IS OUT!!!  It went out at the restaurant, and mine is out right now, so I guess someone must have cut into a cable or something.  And the customer help line has been busy too, so...  At least the local CBS affiliate's tower is actually in view of my apartment, so I'm able to get a signal - as well as the NBC affiliate.  But I'll be popping some more CDs into my player and getting some stuff done around the apartment.  Game?  What game?

DR DerBrucer - Just reading the ingredient for that recipe gave me a headache - and stomach ache!  I'm a big fan of butter, but...  At least she listed butter and not butter or margarine.  And it's just a box of powdered sugar...  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2004, 01:24:34 PM »

Good afternoon everyone!
Happy Birthday to those who are celebrating such things today

DR Laura, my thoughts are with you as well.  I've had to put down three dear pets in my lifetime, and all of them have had a profound impact on my life.  But they were the right course of action, hard as they were to do.

I shall be celebrating the Super Bowl by going to see a movie.  Probably Big Fish, which I've been wanting to see anyway.  I have no problem with football, and I will watch it, but not when it involves two teams I know little and care less about :)

Good heavens...now I'm craving something gooey and chocolatey.  Those cakes look divoon...

Oh yes, and welcome NR (new reader) Charlie Toft

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2004, 01:26:01 PM »

Just took a lovely long walk and had breakfast with dear reader Panni.  Now, I must walk back to Du-Par's and meet Alet Oury, who is in town visiting folks.  Who knew it was going to be such a busy day.  I even have something I must do tonight for a couple of hours.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2004, 01:29:24 PM »

Welcome to our new poster, DR Charlie!

I've had a movie marathon already today and will be headed downstairs for more momentarily. So far, the Sherlock Holmes mystery TERROR BY NIGHT in a beautifully restored print with all the scenes I remember intact. Then, the second half of MY FAIR LADY (had watched the first half a couple of weeks ago). Then, ROCKETSHIP X-M with the ever hunky Lloyd Bridges and hunk-in-the-wings Hugh O'Brian. Then, I put in the DVD of the Joan Hickson/Miss Marple NEMESIS, unquestionably my favorite of the BBC Miss Marples. This will be followed tonight by TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, "Sex & the City," and then guilty pleasure GREASE 2.

The joys of Super Bowl Sunday!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2004, 01:30:23 PM »

I spent the day shopping. Just got back.

Not sure how much of the Super Bowl I will watch. I do enjoy football. But we get the Canadian commercials (don't ask, it's infuriating). I could have watched with my sis. But I think I will just watch the ads on the net tomorrow. I LOVE superbowl ads. And not getting to wtach them live is a major bummer.

Re: DR Danise's comments about dieting. It's actually rewarding when it works. I actually really noticed the difference for the first time today. And supposedly if I keep up my Winsor Pilates, I will also have a dancer's body.

DR Jose: Enjoy Sex & The City. I am so anxious to know when Bravo Canada will start their season. I am trying so hard not to listen to any of the spoilers. Although i accidently watched a clip with Kim Cattral on one of the talk shows that gave much away.

CharlieToft

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »

Thank you all for your welcomes!

OK, scratch the cake. My host tells me that whatever I bring, "It cannot be GOOEY. Finger-foods ONLY." I have a feeling that this cake (rich and lip-smacking as it sounds) will be too lick-your-fingers, can I get a paper-towel messy for the BLOOMER GIRL crowd.  Next time!

Getting out my Eagle Brand recipie book....
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up