Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW EVERYTHING  (Read 21597 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:NEW EVERYTHING
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2004, 01:54:17 PM »

Welcome DR Charlie Toft.

Good vibes and feelings to DR Laura!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2004, 02:04:20 PM »

I shall indeed be watching the Super Bowl this afternoon with a couple friends of mine.  Being a hopeless football fan, I simply can't imagine letting a year go by without watching it.  I know I've watched every one since I was 6 years old (Super Bowl XX, Bears over Patriots), and most likely was around a TV for a few before that.

Oh, DR SwishySarah, I'm afraid that just like in that first Super Bowl that I remember, your beloved Patriots are in for some pain today. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2004, 02:05:37 PM »

Good afternoon!  Again!

Well, someone is smiling down upon me... I have found my cell phone!  Well, I found where it is!  And who has it currently - the cabbie who picked me up early Friday morning.  Now we just have to make arrangements for me to pick it up or get it delivered to me.  Let's just say it pays to call, and call again when it comes to trying to get the answer you want - and deserve.  I wasn't exactly getting the run around from the cab company when I previously called them, I just seemed to be getting the wrong person on the line.  This afternoon, the dispatcher promptly called the cab driver, and Voila!  Mystery solved.

-Of course, right before I called the cab company again, I had just called Sprint to have the account suspended... guess I'll have to call them back now.  -And the customer service rep at Sprint could not have been nicer and more helpful.  Due to some of her of investigating, she was able to determine that my phone was still in the Richmond area.  Thank you GPS!  *Now, if I wanted to declare a police emergency, then she could have tracked it down the exact location, but I decided that my carelessness was not exactly and emergency.

OH!!  And this is kind of Twilight Zone-y - The cable system seems to be coming back up slowly but surely.  The big three networks are back up, but the cable channels keep going in and out every few seconds.  Well, I tuned into FoodTV, and what dish did Paula Deen happen to pulling out the oven?  Her heart attack in a cake pan!  Her Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes!  And her reaction when she took the first bite, "WOO!  HOO!" was kind of scary.  -And she did gild the lily with some whipped cream too!

-Well, now that phone has been found, let's hope that bodes well for my upcoming car repair...
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2004, 02:23:11 PM »

Jed- You are hopelessly wrong. I promise I'll be here to offer you a shoulder to cry on when your Panthers are pummeled :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2004, 03:05:17 PM »

Thanks for all the lovely Birthday greetings!

A new Broadway Radio Show is now up and running for your enjoyment!

Donald
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2004, 03:26:41 PM »

Okay, this is getting slightly nauseating.  Sundays are bad but this is ridiculous.  Oh, Don, Don Wilson, come out here.

Well, I hope that after all this Super Bowling that everyone comes back and has a posting frenzy, otherwise we're most certainly going to reach a new low and by quite a large margin.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2004, 03:27:51 PM »

May I just say that DAMN, Beyonce can saaaaaaaang!

And Groban wasn't too shabby either.
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »

And welcome new dear reader Charlie Toft.  Tell us about your very own self and how you found our merry troupe.

Just back from sitting with Alet Oury.  She looks great, is happy as a clam and we had fun.  Her interview should be up by Tuesday, I'm hoping.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2004, 03:32:52 PM »

Happy Super Bowl watching to those who are. I wish it interested me so I could feel part of today's cultural rush, but no. I didn't know anything about football until a few years ago when I had to learn all about it for a script I was writing.

To work...

William E. Lurie

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2004, 03:48:56 PM »

Where do I know the name Alet Oury?  I know I've heard it someplace, but can't quite place it... or do I have to wait for the interview Tuesday to find out?

Since it is Super Bowl Sunday, I made homemade strawberry ice cream and will have a super bowl of it while watching anything but a football game.  I also have a leg of lamb in the slow cooker which will be ready soon.  The smell is already driving me crazy.

BK - My biggest problem with the movie version of ANNE FRANK is the fact that they cut the entire final scene from the play where the father returns to the attic after the war and you get a summary of what happened to everyone else.  Yes it's depressing, but important.  The family in the skylight is just so Hollywood!

I finally watched the Hugh Jackman OKLAHOMA!.  Other than the Tony Awards where he didn't impress me this is the first time I have seen him, and on the basis of this I think we will see BOY FROM OZ despite the fact that I really dislike Peter Allen.  However anyone who writes a song about Julie Wilson ("Quiet Please, There's a Lady Onstage" - no it wasn't originally written about Judy) can't be all bad.  The poorly-taped production of OKLAHOMA! was a mixed bag.  It did not need the dalogue added from"Green Grow the Lilacs".  The DVD is 3 hours meaning with an intermission it is 3¼ hours long.  Based on what I can remember of the deMille choreography, Stroman did a better "Kansas City" and "Farmer and the Cowman" but deMille's "Many a New Day" and dream ballet were far superior.  The costumes were excellent... most OKLAHOMA!s have clean pretty costumes but in  this production people looked like they were wearing real clothes.  I did not care for the set and much of the staging.  The title song sung on a (non-moving) turntable in front of a house with a slanted roof looked like Anatevka.  But the whole production was worth it for Maureen Lipman's Aunt Eller Murphy.  I know that she is a big star in England, but other then Ruth in the original London WONDERFUL TOWN, what else has she done and why hasn't she done anything in the Colonies?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2004, 03:53:50 PM »

OMG, that Josh Groban thing was so sad. I don't know if I could have watched him sing, if I was a player and had to play a game. I guess I will go watch now. Btw, I think the Patriots will walk away with it.

Oh and SURVIVOR afterwards. Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2004, 03:57:24 PM »

DR Jose: I am glad you found your cell. I actually meant to suggest that you CALL YOUR ACTUAL PHONE.  Then if it was on, you could find out who had it :)

Btw, why do I keep ordering from amazon? They've had an item I ordered in "preparing to ship" mode for 6 days, which makes no sense. Either it's not ready to ship, or they should ship it. And of course they are slightly clueless since it shows to them that it is in the process of being shipped. And they don't seem to understand when I tell them "but it's been preparing to ship for a whole week now" :)

Happy SuperBowl sunday everyone!

Robin

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2004, 04:00:16 PM »

I've never watched a Super Bowl, and I don't suspect I ever will.  The SO and I spent the day at the movies, seeing Girl with a Pearl Earring, hanging out in Borders Books, and making pizza.  Later tonight, we'll be watching the deeveedee of Carnival Story.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »

Thank you for your kind wishes, everyone. I had to euthanize a cat and a dog in January. It is very quiet around our house.

DR Kerry, I tried to get you some oreo cake, but, as usual, they had none.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2004, 04:22:30 PM »

Had me a film fest today as well, but not on the scale of Matth's.

Just finished watching ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW. Very sad, sad film. Enjoyed seeing Kim Hamilton, and Harry Belefonte was certainly good. So was Ed Begley. I guess I was expecting it to have a nice happy ending, but alas that was not to happen.

Can't wait for the new Survivor tonight!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »

DR William E. Lurie,  Not every British Actor feels compelled to have a Colonial career to be validated.  Maureen Lipman has had quite a prodigious career in England, covering scads of stage, film, and television.  You might remember her from a British TV show that got some PBS play many years back called AGONY.  She also played Julie Walters' room-mate in EDUCATING RITA.  I myself, besides seeing her Aunt Eller onstage, also caught her a few years back in a delightfulplay called, Peggy for You,about famed literary agent, Peggy Ramsay, written by one of her former clients.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2004, 04:24:27 PM »

DR RObin Anderson....that Carnival Story is a wild one...Anne Bancroft sure tries...and Steve Cochran...oh my.  It is the musical score that always sends me over the edge.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2004, 04:24:49 PM »

Evening all.

Welcome to Charlie Toft!  Happy posting!

I didn't have such a good day today.  The toilet is acting funny.  It won't shut off when it fills.  I got it to stop but it's not fixed.  

Then when I went out to do some grocery shopping and maybe buy something to fix the toilet I had a devil of time finding things that fit the diet.  No Laughing Cow cheeze.  No fresh salmon.  Yes, folks, I said salmon.   As in fish.  As in I was going to give it an honest try but I can't if the grocery store doesn't HAVE any.  
Sigh.

Is it Friday yet?  It's going to be one of those weeks.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2004, 04:36:51 PM »

Is it just me or does it seem kind of weird that our society feels the need to pay tribute to tragedies (9/11, Columbia, God knows what else) at sports events?  Actually it's seems pretty darn disrespectful to treat anything like that as a warm up to a GAME.

But swishy I most definitely agree with you - Béyoncé is a pop tart that can saaaaaannnnggg (we need more of 'em)  ;)  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2004, 04:38:46 PM »

Oh and by the way that comprises my entire review of the Super Bowl since I will be spending the evening reading about extreme far right political parties in Western Europe.

It's kinda creepy learning about neo-nazis.  Shudder.  Fascinating yet creepy.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2004, 04:53:39 PM »

New DR Charlie Toft - Welcome!

DR Jennifer - I've actually called my phone a few times, but I think I may have left the ringer off since I turn it off when I'm teaching - I was teaching the night before - and I usually forget to turn the ringer back on.  So.. -Boy does that sentence have tons of grammatical and tense errors!  -Or, if I did turn it back on, it could be that the person just didn't want to answer it.  In any case, I'm hoping I'll have it back by tomorrow afternoon - fingers and toes crossed.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I left my home phone number on my message, so if anyone really needs to reach me, they'll be able to.

DR Danise - Shopping on Sundays is always a tricky situation.  It's the end of the weekend, and what's usually left on the shelves and in the cases is everything that got passed over by all the Saturday shoppers.  Meat and fish cases can be particularly bare - as well as produce - especially lettuce.  *It's like the "rule" of not ordering seafood in a restaurant on Sundays since most places don't get fresh seafood delivered on Saturdays or Sundays.  (See Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential".)  I've always found Thursdays and Fridays to be the best grocery shopping days.  All the stores stock up for their traditional Saturday craziness on Thursdays and Fridays, so...  if you can plan your shopping - and eating - mid-week, it's worth the time and effort to make it to the grocery store at that time.  *If I'm really ahead of the game - and can't sleep, I'll head to a 24-hour place and shop at 2:00AM Friday morning!  -And my favorite grocery store, Ukrop's, is actually closed on Sundays, so... and they also don't sell alcoholic beverages.

-If you can't find Laughing Cow cheese, string cheese packs are a good substitute.  Or any other cheese that is pre-portioned.  There's also a few other companies that make individually wrapped cheese wedges and mini-wheels - I tend to find them in the deli case.

RE: Superbowl - Not watching... Which song did Josh Groban sing?
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »

Charles---
Thanks for the Maureen Lippman update.  From the credits you gave it appears that she doesn't do only musicals.  I knew I vaguely remembered her from something and it was EDUCATING RITA.  I know she doesn't need to appear here to be validated, it's just that so many British stars do appear here at least once or twice (and vice versa) that I thought she might have done something here I was not familiar with.

Danise

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2004, 05:13:48 PM »

Thanks, JoseSPiano.  I just didn't make it to the grocery store yesterday like I mostly do.  I bought some low fat cheese but I wanted Laughing Cow since it was the brand mentioned.  

Have a good evening all.  I guess I'm just a little tired tonight.  Think I'll make it an early night.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2004, 05:14:43 PM »

DR Charles Pogue:  you mentioned literary agent Peggy Ramsay.  Is this the same Ms. Ramsay that Vanessa Redgrave brought to vivid life in the film PRICK UP YOUR EARS, based on John Lahr's biography of Joe Orton?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2004, 05:27:46 PM »

Alet has sung on quite a few of my albums, including Sondheim at the Movies (Back in Business), LIB IV (If I Can't Take it with Me I'm Not Gonna Go), Unsung III (Jenny Rebecca), the Burt Bacharach Album (Window Wishing), Prime Time Musicals (One Hand Tied Behind My Back) and a couple of others.  She's also on the Louisiana Purchase album with Debbie Gravitte.

Panni

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2004, 05:32:50 PM »

Just adding a post to keep the home fires (or home fries) burning while the rest of the nation watches the Super Bowl.
That's it. I have nothing to say. The post is the post is the post.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2004, 05:33:53 PM »

Oh - and welcome Charlie Toft!

Robin

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2004, 05:39:36 PM »

Absolutely welcome, Mr. Toft!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »

I do hope we have a posting frenzy later after this silly Bowling.  I would hate to reach a new low on the first of a new month, that would just be heinous (heinous, do you hear me?).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2004, 05:45:41 PM »

Tnanks BK - I should have known the name was familiar from your recordings.  I'm looking forward to the interview.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up