Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREE Rs  (Read 24080 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE THREE Rs
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2004, 08:40:27 PM »

Hope you get some valuable sleep td. You are a treasure as a son and friend.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2004, 08:43:22 PM »

Thank you SWW.  

TD, best wishes to you while you go through this difficult time and wishing a speedy recovery for your father.  I hope you find another outlet to reduce your own stress-sorry you had to withdraw from SYMPATHETIC MAGIC.

Good night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2004, 08:47:01 PM »

My thanks for all the good wishes sent to der Brucer and myself.  We're over the hard part of moving, fortunately.  Now all we have to do is sort out what we've got, and find places for everything.

In the meanwhile, we've discovered something unexpected here in Rehoboth: other diners are quite willing to engage in conversations with total strangers, if approached in the right way!  We've done it two nights in a row.  Last night, we shared some of our personal pizzas at Dogfish Head with the couple at the next table, who shared in turn, and a wondeful conversation developed.

Then tonight, at Fusion, there was a party of five women (one celebrating a birthday), trying to decide what to have.  I recommended the Crab Bisque, with which we had just begun our meal.  Later, there were toasts to Roxie's birthday, and then we joined them at their table for another wonderful conversation!

When we were in SoCal, this sort of behavior would have been quite difficult to initiate.  

I think I'm going to be very happy here.  Very happy, indeed!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2004, 08:52:54 PM »

That's exactly what happened!  But we are planning on making it to your show.  (Or maybe Panni's show.  Who's going to be in our area again?   8) ::))

Hahahahahahahaaaaaa! I'll be so happy to meet yuz! I'm all packed and heading up to bed early, cuz I got a crack o' dawn flight tomorrow. See you guys soon!

td - my very best, heartfelt wishes for your dad's recovery, and your holding onto harmony and sanity during this tough time.
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »

My thanks for all the good wishes sent to der Brucer and myself.  We're over the hard part of moving, fortunately.  Now all we have to do is sort out what we've got, and find places for everything.

Should you need a strong backbone, or pair of shoulders. . .call me. . .i need a vacation. . .like nobody's business. . . i need a vacaaaaaation, from more of the same ole thing. . .if i could only do something different, somewhere else, oh, what a joy. . .a mighty joy* that would be. . .

apologies to Mrs. Katz, of course. ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2004, 09:01:40 PM »

If only you were not so challenged mythologically td - New Zealand is the perfect place for a holiday - and so close to OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2004, 09:04:44 PM »

Blessings to you and your dad, TD.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2004, 09:14:03 PM »

Today was Waitangi Day in New Zealand. DR Tom, what is that?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2004, 09:14:58 PM »

Today was Waitangi Day in New Zealand. DR Tom, what is that?

Whatever it was, it sure does sound like what I need.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2004, 09:15:12 PM »

what a joy. . .a mighty joy* that would be. . .

apologies to Mrs. Katz, of course. ;)

You're apologizing to my mother?
As the song said...

I can't marry you in the usual way
Rice and shoes and borrowed blues
What do they say?
You're too wonderful for empty cliché
No "Here Comes the Bride" on wedding band
Need drown out the mood when you give your hand.
I'll commit to you, but it's more than just saying "I do"
We've a bond, inseparable, stronger than any glue
We're not going to start with a hollow token
"Till death do us part" need not be spoken
But if a wedding must entail
The breaking of a glass, the lifting of a veil
Then I can't marry you.

So, toss 'em out ---
The crinoline and crepe
Contracts, pre-nuptials, all that red tape
Don't toss a bouquet
It leads to spats
And, for heaven's sake, don't take the name, Joy Katz
We can do much better than that
By throwing out the old hat
I won't marry you
In the tired traditional way
Who could ask you to honor me?
And you sure as hell won't obey
We two can create a new tradition
Something involving a composition
That lets me say, in the only way I know how:
I want to marry you now.

Best thoughts, td, about your father.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:19:59 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2004, 09:17:38 PM »

Well, if there are any Mrs. Katzes named "Joy," I apologize for my channelling of the Cupp Sisters.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2004, 09:20:43 PM »

Whatever it was, it sure does sound like what I need.

And when was the last time you waited for your tangi, td?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2004, 09:25:56 PM »

Ann -- I skipped right over your answer to my question.  Yes, I would love to have a CD of your recital.  How much are they?
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »

SWW and DerBrucer - Sartre was wrong. Hell is not other people. Hell is moving. Having just moved, I send you my good wishes and sympathies. Sounds like you're through the worst and have arrived at a lovely place.

td

• td
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2004, 09:27:26 PM »

And when was the last time you waited for your tangi, td?

TCB, if you brought it on, I would no longer be waiting. . . .

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2004, 09:29:13 PM »

The celebration of The signing of the treaty between the Maori people and the white "invaders". Most Australians would of course not know NZ holidays but my adoptive mother's stepmother was from New Zealand. Despite rumours, NZ is not part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2004, 09:30:51 PM »

Good evening!

Greetings from Memphis!

My flights from Richmond were good, and on time.  However, both segments were on puddle jumpers - and when I flew from Cincinatti to Memphis I was in the 11th row of the plane - which turned out to be the last row of the plane!!!  But a good flight nonetheless, it since it was not a full plane of people, the one flight attendant offered extra pretzels and full cans of soda and juice - always nice.

My hotel room is nice.  And has a jacuzzi!!! -Which I may make use of in the next few minutes!!!!  I had my "traditional - the day I get into Memphis" lunch at The Cupboard.  Today's menu (from the various selections): Fried Catfish, Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Okra and Corn Pudding - it was a very "brown" plate. ;-)  -Oh, and the usual yeast rolls and corn muffins.  Sooooo good!  And soooo splurgy!  -Oh, and I also had a slice of Sweet Potato Pie too!  -Hey, at least I walked to and from there from the hotel - about a mile each way, so...

Then I finally went and saw In America.  What a beautiful movie.  Beautiful.  And moving in many ways.  Much more moving than I expected - or even "suspected" from the reviews - at least for me.  I was literally sobbing at least three times during the movie, and the final sequence just had me audibly sniffling!  And I forget to bring kleenex!?!?!?  At least I wore a sweatshirt with very absorbent sleeves.  :-[ ;)  -And the two girls - who are also sisters in real life - are amazing!!  I was thinking I would see Monster and Miracle too tonight - all in the same complex - but after coming out of In America, I just wanted to leave with "that" in my head for tonight.

So... I stopped at the health food store next door and picked up some Scandinavian style tuna salad (very tasty! - made with mustard instead of mayo, and some very good cookies (the oatmeal with cardamom was exquisite...was..).  Then I watched Austin Powers: Goldmember on cable (from the sublime to the ridiculous(!)), and then logged on, and here I am... So....

DR Jane - Get Well Soon!

DR td - I'm so sorry to hear the news about your father.  Many, many Good Health Vibes!

DR WEL - TDF also has some "special seats" set aside.  Just check their website: www.tdf.org.  If I recall correctly, the proceeds from their special ticket sales go toward both philanthropic and/or artistic causes.  *And I've also steered people toward the Ticket Desks at the hotels in NYC - they will sell to anyone who asks, not just the hotel guests.

RE: The Alet Ourt interview - <Standing Ovation> Brava!!

DRs SWW and DerB - Have fun unpacking - and getting to see and touch and use your own "stuff" again!  -I have a move coming up in April, and, once I get back from Memphis, if I can just go through one box of "stuff" that I have in my room over the next three weeks... I'll be halfway through all the boxes of stuff that I have! ;-)  -At least it's a start.

RE: Grocery shopping - As I've mentioned before, I love the place I shop at normally, so... -Even when there are lines...  However, when I have to go somewhere else, sometimes the insanity and inanity does get to me.  And there are some chains I will simply not step foot into - even if they are open on Sundays and sell alchohol! ;-)

There is branch of a Korean grocery store chain in Fairfax called Hah Nah Reum (sp?) - they also have stores called Super H now too.  Well, the lines in there are always long!!  -The prices and the produce bring the crowds in.  However, the lines there move FAST!!!  They have the women at the cash registers trained very well - and they have a slew of "bag boys" - well, more like "bag men" - wrapping things up and putting them in your paper and/or plastic.  It still intimidates me getting behind someone with TWO carts of groceries, but just about five minutes later (max!), I'm being rung up myself!  And sometimes that's faster than going through their express lanes since other "scared people" line up there, you end up with about 20 people in line for the Express registers... but only behind four or five people in the regular lanes - even if they have very full carts...

-Oh, and I do like the new self-checkout lanes that stores are offering now.  However, sometimes going to a manned - or "womanned" - register is still faster.  -And then there are those "first-timers" in the self-checkout lanes...;-)

Well, I think that's almost everything... Jaccuzzi time! -And only 225 auditions tomorrow!  YIPPEE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »

DR Ann. Of course TCB wants two copies as he an Australian friend who would like to hear it too.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2004, 09:38:33 PM »

Good to know I am not alone with my views on "Gump" but has anyone else bothered with "Big Fish". It was certainly one that I wish had "got away".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2004, 09:38:46 PM »

Well, this particular DR is going to catch up on his well-earned rest.

Goodnight. . .thank you all so very much!

Sincerely!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »

WOW!  That was a long post!

RE: THE LION KING popularity/ticket availability - It's stil hard to get a ticket to THE LION KING because it's a known "commodity" and, more importantly, since it's a group sales dream!  It's a very safe show to book groups to see - all ages, all backgrounds, all nationalities.  -Which is also the reason MAMMA MIA! continues to run at 101% capacity - just like it's predecessor at the Winter Garden - well, now The Cadillac Winter Garden - CATS.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2004, 09:40:54 PM »

And speaking of the Northwest contingent, where in tarnation is my son?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2004, 09:44:51 PM »

Good to know I am not alone with my views on "Gump" but has anyone else bothered with "Big Fish". It was certainly one that I wish had "got away".

Mr. ovoz -- Did you say that you saw Big Fish on DVD?  Didn't it just open in December?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2004, 09:45:19 PM »

DR Tomovoz and others - Is "Big Fish" on DVD already?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2004, 09:47:51 PM »

Ooohhh... that's spooky, TCB?!?!?  Were you ever stationed in the Philippines?  ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2004, 09:53:49 PM »

You should know that OZ is so way ahead of the field. YES! I do have a copy of "Big Fish".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2004, 10:00:28 PM »

td: You are supposed to be sleeping. Why are still on line?
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2004, 10:04:31 PM »

Whatever happened to the giddy days of our late-night denizens?  Off to take a brisk walk, and then I'll be back.

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2004, 10:06:36 PM »

I shall be giddy by myself it seems.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2004, 10:06:42 PM »

You want to know why I HATE AOL???  I just posted that last post.  While it was taking forever to load I was given a page that said "can't find website known as haineshisway.com"  I mean IT WAS POSTING THE POST while it was telling me it couldn't find the website to which it was posting.  Oh, well, AOL's days are now numbered since I have this very day ordered DSL.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up