Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING NEWS  (Read 21337 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE SHIPPING NEWS
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »

PAGE FIVE DANCE!!

(Finally! ::))

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »

Until later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »

I absolutely loved the Irish Rep TAKE ME ALONG; it's well-crafted, the songs are delightful, and it's full of heart. My friends Willam Parry and Don Stephenson were both delightful, as was the rest of the cast.  I liked the little ragtime combo which I thought sounded just right for a 1910 Fourth of July.  I would kill to score this show for a real ragtime ensemble of piano, flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, banjo, string quartet, bass and drums. I had a great afternoon.

DR TCB, I love THE CAT AND THE CANARY! It's a delightful horror-comedy that deserves more stage productions; I was lucky to see a wonderfully stylish staging off-Broadway in 1979 that walked the edge of camp and melodrama, had a great cast, and succeeded admirably.  The original leading man on Broadway was Henry Hull of THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON and the original leading lady was Florence Eldridge. I love the Hope-Goddard version, which is closest to the actual feel of the play, but it's only available as a Region-2 DVD. I first saw it on a double bill with GHOST BREAKERS around 1981 but with the death of movie revival house in NYC, I doubt that will ever happen again.

I also like the silent version, which is quite creepy and gothic but the comedy is downplayed, as I remember.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

MattH, personally I've much preferred the documentaries on the Indy boxed sets to the actual episodes.  They're longer than 5 minutes.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »

The people meeting the pope seem to be getting varying levels of applause and cheers - I wonder if it's based on what boroughs they're coming from.  (Pearl River got lighter cheers than the Bronx, for example).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »

I first met Peter Howard, one of Broadway's great dance arrangers and MDs, when he was conducting BARNUM around 1980. He was always friendly and kind, always complimentary of my work when we'd end up working on some benefit together - although he never did hire me for anything! - and always interesting to talk to. I love his dance arrangements for HELLO DOLLY! (the "Waiter's Galop" is one of my favorite dance pieces) and CHICAGO, which sound so right for the shows. On a lot of revisicals, the dance music sounds as if the arranger never had a clue to what the original score sounded like.

This is leading up to the sad news that Peter Howard died yesterday of pneumonia; he was staying in a retirement home in New Jersey. Don Pippin told me a couple of weeks ago that he'd just been out to visit Peter, and I know that Steve Ross had been out a couple of times to visit. Listen to the CDs of CHICAGO and the HELLO DOLLY! revival our BK produced and listen carefully to Peter's wonderful dance charts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:05:23 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

T.O.D.

Real life:

1963 - the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald live on National television.  Of course, the Kennedy assasination affected me, BUT we never saw the shooting live.  I was sitting in my pajamas, and my mom and grandmother were at the door ready to leave for church when they switched live to the basement of the police station and Ruby shot and killed Oswald.

1969 - The first man on the moon.  I was in summer quarter at college and my apartment had no TV; so I hiked down to the Ellensburg library, which had been opened on Sunday just for that reason.

2001 - 9/11 was the most horrific thing that I had ever seen.  My clock radio woke me just about six with the news that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.  I jumped out of bed and ran into the living room and turned on the TV.  I was looking at what I thought must be a replay of the plane hitting the tower.  It was only when I realized that both towers were now burning, did I realize what I had seen.

Fiction:

THAT CERTAIN SUMMER
AN EARLY FROST
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »

Passover.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

Thanks for the GHOST WHISPERER info. I guess i just thought all episodes for now would be new!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »

Passover.

Passover is the most powerful image you have ever seen on television?
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »

Overheard at a seder:  My favorite Passover dish is bitter herb mixed with a little neurosis.

Then, for that mighty man Moses, who said "believe in me" and they did, the waters of the Red Sea parted, and the people all shouted "Holy Moses, he did it."
(a Smothers Brothers reverence)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:10:45 PM by FJL »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »

Elmore, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, the talented, Peter Howard.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

What a nice and well-spoken man Peter Howard was.  

He was one of the faculty/panelists who critiqued a show I presented in the ASCAP Workshop and it was very exciting to get his input.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:14:50 PM by FJL »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »

DR TCB, I love THE CAT AND THE CANARY! It's a delightful horror-comedy that deserves more stage productions; I was lucky to see a wonderfully stylish staging off-Broadway in 1979 that walked the edge of camp and melodrama, had a great cast, and succeeded admirably.  The original leading man on Broadway was Henry Hull of THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON and the original leading lady was Florence Eldridge. I love the Hope-Goddard version, which is closest to the actual feel of the play, but it's only available as a Region-2 DVD. I first saw it on a double bill with GHOST BREAKERS around 1981 but with the death of movie revival house in NYC, I doubt that will ever happen again.

I also like the silent version, which is quite creepy and gothic but the comedy is downplayed, as I remember.

I was delighted to see Daniel Massey in last night's CAT AND THE CANARY.  I think I only knew Mr. Massey for the OBC of SHE LOVES ME.    Looking at his credits, I assume I had seen him in other things, but I was never aware that was who I was watching until last night.  I have never seen STAR so I have never seen his Golden Globe winning performance as his own godfather, Noel Coward.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

RE: big brother

I'm gonna discuss who i think will get voted out.

There will be spoiler info mentioning who was nominated and who won veto.

fjlda jfdjfldajflkj lj lj l jlkjlk jlkjljlk jkljlkj fjafklj flk jdalfjalkdjflkjd fld
Okay so we know ryan won hoh. To me it was obvious he would nom sheila and sharon. But his real goal, well i have no idea!
Anyhow interestingly ryan won veto. I really have no idea if he will stay with adam. Or with sharon. Or who he will want to be voted out.  It's confusing because i'm not sure if adam wants F2 with sheila or with ryan.

And if ryan keeps the noms the same, will adam do it? I have no idea if ryan will trust adam. And i have no idea if adam would vote out sheila if ryan tells me he has to.
what does anybody else think?
dfjalkfj klafjd klajfljdaflkjfl ajfkldj fkldaj fklj flkdjflaj flaj flkajfl jlkj

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

Happy Passover!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

T.O.D.

Fiction:

THAT CERTAIN SUMMER
AN EARLY FROST

I keep trying to think of fictional moments I have seen on television that were so moneumental that I can still remember watching them.  I do remember one showing of PETER PAN with Mary Martin, that I believe was shown on Easter.

I have certainly watched enough television in my lifetime, you would think I could remember some more fictional moments other than three shows about fairies.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »

Oh btw, the LOST expanded episode did not really fill me in on anything i didn't already know re: the sun and jin episode.

SPOILER SPACE

jdfla jfkl jdfa jklfjafkljdafkljfkljdafkljdklafjlkjdaflkjdafkljdl fjaklfjdljfjlkfjdjdf
spoilers re: lost sun and jin episode lj lfkaj fkljda klfj dlajfkljdfkljdaflkj
I really wanted them to give some insight into the ending (with sun and hurley and the grave). They basically confirmed what other boards had said. That the date was the date of the plane crash only. I guess i was hoping they would say more!
jafkldj afjldjaflkjdaklfjljdaflkjdafklj dakljdsaflkjdsaflkjdafkljdfljljsafljsfl jd
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:27:34 PM by Jennifer »

Ben

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

I saw the lovely and talented Antonia, AKA TPunk, this afternoon. She was in Madison Square Park eating Mexican food. I had gone to do an errand and was walking through the park when I noticed her enjoying the beautiful weather and good food. We chatted and she said she is, indeed, still in Guys and Dolls. I was then off to do another errand and now I'm home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

Happy Passover everyone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »

Back from a dry tech - it started later than it was supposed to so I only stayed while our lighting man wrote act one, but I've seen all the major "looks" and gave my notes for special stuff in act two and now I am home and must get ready for dinner.

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

More on TOD:

Dorothy walks out of the door.  (You never forget the first time you saw it on a color teevee).

As for 9/11, my memory of it is not completely tv-related.  I got the news as I was getting ready to go out the door for work (as Sam Morgan's) on the rec.arts.theatre.musicals newsgroup as it was happening.
Sam Morgan's had twelve television sets at that point, including one widescreen flat-screen hung above the fireplace.
I was the only server on that particular day, and working a double.
Needless to say, we tuned all of the tvs to the news channels, and there they remained.

I heard the sad news about Peter Howard early this morning, from Michael Lavine.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »

Today's Pitney Bowes screwup - when we got the machine I'd already advanced purchased an extra 100 bucks in postage.  We plugged the phone line into the machine and it added the postage just fine.  We then spoke to the PB people and they told us exactly how to add further postage, which is done by plugging in the phone line, telling it how much you want, and then it automatically charges my cc.  Only, we're getting an error message that says "no dial tone" so we can't add postage.  My phone certainly works so it has to be on their end because we've done everything exactly as it should be.  The problem?  They're not back in the office till Monday, so all this postage we were going to do today now can't get done until Monday, which means I'll be up at seven calling them.

FJL

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

I was fairly sure I was going to celebrate Passover tomorrow night with my brother and sister-in-law at the house of the mother of a good friend of theirs, but heard that details will not be clear (not their exact words, but that's the gist) until tomorrow.  Could wind up being just a small seder at my brother's house.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 05:31:40 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2008, 06:38:29 PM »

Seder-masochism - voluntarily taking a second helping of bitter herbs, extra bitter

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »

Happy Passover!

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »

I have had a very busy day.  I knew I had to do office work one day this weekend, so I decided to take today off.  I wandered a little and ended up looking at trees at Bomgaars. The guy helping me really seemed to know what he was talking about, so I ran home took a good look at the yard, went back and bought 2 apple trees, that have 4 different kinds of apples on the same tree for the side yard, and a linden tree for the front yard.  I managed to get them in the Prius and brought them home and planted them

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »

Then I went to the library's annual book sale and bought things I really don't need, but they are cheap, so why not buy them, then to Lowe's to get blinds for my office room then to the grocery store to stock up.  Now I need a shower very badly.  

I need to do some laundry but will do that tomorrow. My client's wife brought him clothes to wear, but they reek of smoke, so I'm washing the shirt and pants and may need to patch a place on the pants.  She's supposededly bringing different clothes on Monday for the rest of the trial.

singdaw

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »

DR Cillaliz really puts those briefs together.    :)

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »

The concert went very well.  I still fit into my tux, and I remembered all my words.    :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up