Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING NEWS  (Read 21297 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE SHIPPING NEWS
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »

PAGE TWO SHIPPING PACKAGES DANCE!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 07:06:06 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

9/11 - I had just gotten back into town (Richmond) the night before from the fall SETC auditions in Charlotte - I decided to go ahead and fly back Monday night after I was done playing rather then waiting until Tuesday morning.  I woke up, turned on the TV, started watching "The Today Show"... I was about to go back to bed when they got word that "something" had possibly flown into one of the World Trade Center towers...  Then they started showing the footage...  That plane really did look so small in comparison to that building... A couple of hours later, I finally left the apartment - and the TV - to meet Steve for lunch at work...  That was weird in its own way too.  Since most of the hospital workers had been on shift since 6:00am, a few of them had no real idea what happened that morning since they weren't near a TV or a radio while doing their rounds...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:07:18 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »

More Topic of the Day...

As for real life events...

The Challenger Space Shuttle Disaster - I was a senior in high school, and we were watching the launch coverage in class.  Besides the actual disaster, I also remember footage of the teacher who was the runner-up in the "Teacher in Space" program.  He was being interviewed and filmed that morning during the launch... His reaction and the look on his face as he asked the cameras to be turned off...

The Rodney King and OJ Simpson trial verdicts (both of them).

Michael Jeter's Tony Award acceptance speech.

John Hinckley's attempted assassination attempt of President Reagan.  -A father of one my classmates was in the Secret Service and was working that detail that day.  We were watching the coverage in class - sixth grade, I think, - and had just spotted him in the background a few feet behind President Reagan...  
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »

Well, it looks like I'm going to be heading up to Woodbury Commons today with my roommate, Jim, for a day of outlet shopping!  And I need to get ready now.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »

Good morning!

Looks to be a pretty day. Highs in the 70s. We may get rain later today, but for now, it's pretty.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »

You are right, DR MBarnum. I have not watched the second Bollywood film you sent me. Trust me, it will get watched, but I'll fit it in at some point. Probably not in the next week. This YOUNG INDY JONES set looks daunting, and there are lots of fans at the site who will scrupulously check every word I write about it. so I'm going to have to be careful with it.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 07:51:24 AM »

Unforgettable TV moments:

John F. Kennedy's funeral

the first moon walk

THAT CERTAIN SUMMER

the WILL & GRACE pilot

9/11 morning, probably the most shocking and horrifying few hours I ever spent in my home alone.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »

This morning, I was out of the house by 8 a.m. mowing my front and side yards. Due to the rain and warm temperatures, the grass had grown ridiculously high. Glad that chore is behind me for 10-14 days.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:54:42 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »

TV Reminder:

[size=10]TORCHWOOD!!![/size][/glow]

season finale!  :'(  :'(  :'(

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 07:55:15 AM »

I have one more PSYCH episode on disc 2 which I'll probably watch while I cook and eat lunch. Then it will be on to young Indy Jones.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »

Weird Daisy Fuentes moment on Paula Dean's Party show last night.  Paula had made a big speech that Daisy was going to tell a story about how if success could happen to Daisy, it could happen to anybody, which seemed like it was going to be something inspirational that we could all take comfort and hope from.  The story turned out to be that a photographer who was a relative of Daisy's sister's friend had seen how gorgeous Daisy was and offered her, out of the blue, a modeling shoot.  So I guess it's an "it could happen to you" story if you happen to be stunningly gorgeous like Ms. Fuentes.

Also on Paula's Party, they were promising a special appearance by Gloria Estafan, and Ms. Estafan appeared only briefly and only on tape - both of us thought this was a little bit of a cheat, but of course she did "appear," so it was not really false advertising, I guess.  :)

But I do love Paula's Party, anyway.  Can't wait until Skip makes those yummy-looking plantain cups.

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »

Good Morning, Good Day, DR td! -Wherever you are. ;)

I'm right here.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: GEOPONIC!

And The Songs Of The Day Are: FARMING and PLANT A RADISH

(The First A Charming One from A Porter named Cole-The Other from You Know What)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:06 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Glad to see that DR TD is BACK!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »

It is spring, which means the arrival of huge tour buses in my 'hood. The driver of the hugely noisy one outside right now must be saying, "And there is DR Jeanne sneezing again!"

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

TOD:

Non-fiction: The 9/11 happenings; The Loma Prieta earthquake aftermath, particularly the scenes of horror from the freeway collapse.

Fiction: I will have to give this more thought.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »

Tonight I have to squeeze into my tux and sing a benefit concert.  Ugh!

And I bet you'll look quite handsome!

Concert vibes to DR Singdaw!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »

Puddin' vibes to DR RON!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »

It is snowing here this morning...which in the middle of April is just so wrong!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »

Today Jim and I will see two more Film Festival showings (there are 60 movies in all this weekend, playing at 3 downtown theatres)....at 10am is http://www.salemfilmfestival.com/2008/films/shorts/indiekids.html

Afterwards we will meet my friend Mustafa for lunch at India Palace, then the three of us will go to see DRIVING TO ZIGZAGLAND http://www.salemfilmfestival.com/2008/films/features/drivingtozigzigland.html

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:48 AM »

It is snowing here this morning...which in the middle of April is just so wrong!

Mike, do you know the song APRIL SNOW?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »

Then there's Rosamunde Pilcher's book, SNOW IN APRIL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »

Must do some chores.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »

I'm heading down to check the mail and then see about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »

Feel-good vibes to Ron P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »

Weird Daisy Fuentes moment on Paula Dean's Party show last night.  Paula had made a big speech that Daisy was going to tell a story about how if success could happen to Daisy, it could happen to anybody, which seemed like it was going to be something inspirational that we could all take comfort and hope from.  The story turned out to be that a photographer who was a relative of Daisy's sister's friend had seen how gorgeous Daisy was and offered her, out of the blue, a modeling shoot.  So I guess it's an "it could happen to you" story if you happen to be stunningly gorgeous like Ms. Fuentes.

Also on Paula's Party, they were promising a special appearance by Gloria Estafan, and Ms. Estafan appeared only briefly and only on tape - both of us thought this was a little bit of a cheat, but of course she did "appear," so it was not really false advertising, I guess.  :)

But I do love Paula's Party, anyway.  Can't wait until Skip makes those yummy-looking plantain cups.

I remember thinking the first time that was shown:  Shouldn't Paula be washing her hands after she touched that guy's chest and abs?  ;)

And as for that Gloria Estefan "tease", well... Yeah.  Of course, I didn't realize that Daisy Fuentes still had a career.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »

TOD: As other people have mentioned 9/11. My most striking memories of the day are walking across midtown with a co-worker- the streets were filled with people and no cars and we would stop and look downtown each time we got to a new street. We saw the second tower fall. And later that morning getting on a bus heading uptown. It was completely packed, people jammed in, and everyone completely silent. It was eerie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - You could always do the "pureed cauliflower" trick in place of mashed potatoes.  -Or actually blend them together.  I also like blending sweet and "regular" potatoes into a mash.  And a trick that I picked up from a "Cooking for Kids" book - mash some steamed broccoli and mix that into your potatoes.
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »

In my youth the Loma Prieta earthquake, in 89 was it? My entire family was at home, I was in 8th grade. The ground started rolling and shaking like I'd never felt before. I stood in my bedroom doorway and my parents stood in theirs. My little sister was at the other end of the house and we could hear her calling. Afterward, we and all of our neighbors gathered on each other's front lawns and assessed the damage. Fortunately nobody suffered any great losses.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »

Wow, and on that PTSD inspired note, I am going to head outside and catch about an hour's worth of sunshine before heading off to dance class. Toodles!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up