Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HAPPY TALK  (Read 27461 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:HAPPY TALK
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »

I went on a 60s-70s tv theme frenzy yesterday at YouTube.  I cannot believe how much stuff is available there.  I also can't believe how many fantastic themes there were, especially in the 60s (it seems the great themes started to taper off in the 70s somewhat, or maybe I just stopped watching television in that decade).  Rugolo, Grusin, Fielding--I tell you, so much great music and each in about 60 seconds!

Just for you:

WASHINGTON POST

A Requiem: Songs That Made the Hit Parade . . .

Guys Like Them They Had It Made

By Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 1, 2008; M05

Earle Hagen and Alexander Courage, who died days apart last week, were maestros of a musical genre that faded some years before they did. Hagen and Courage composed TV theme music, those signature snippets that sent Pavlovian signals to viewers.

It's fair to say they don't make TV theme composers like them anymore. In fact, it's fair to say they don't make many TV theme composers of any kind anymore. The TV theme song, while not gone, is ailing. Indeed, if TV theme songs had a theme song these days, it would be a single descending pennywhistle note.

Hagen, 88 at the time of his death, wrote some of the most memorable and beloved tunes of no more than a minute in length. He is perhaps best known for his themes to "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "The Andy Griffith Show" (that's him on the soundtrack, whistling). He also wrote a bunch of the better themes from the 1960s and early '70s -- arguably the Golden Years of the form -- including those for "I Spy," "That Girl," "Mod Squad," and "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C."

Courage, also 88, was less prolific, but his name will endure as the author of the "Star Trek" theme, which has perhaps the most famous four-note opening since Beethoven's Fifth.
TV themes, great and not-so, used to abound. At their best (think "Gilligan's Island," "The Brady Bunch," "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"), they did more than just worm into your ear and settle there for a lifetime. They introduced characters, established plots, set a program's mood and tone.

Often, no lyrics were needed. Quincy Jones's musical theme for "Sanford and Son" magically conjured both a junkyard and the shambling Fred Sanford. Paul Anka's "Tonight Show" theme was inseparable from late night and Johnny Carson (can you even hum the tune Jay Leno uses?). The "Miami Vice" theme, set over a pastel-perfect credit sequence, efficiently evoked the '80s decadence to follow. Same with Danny Elfman's nearly 20-year-old theme song for "The Simpsons."

TV shows don't do that anymore, or at least they don't do it the way Hagen and Courage and theme-writing legends like Mike Post ("Rockford Files," "Hill Street Blues," "Law & Order," etc.) did it in a quainter, slower era of television. Few network TV shows now open with extended title-and-theme sequences. Instead, they open "cold," with the action and dialogue immediately in progress after the conclusion of the preceding program, almost literally before viewers know what's going on. The opening credits tend to be perfunctory; apart from a few brief chords, "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" barely bother with music at all.

The reason for this is largely a result of the competitive dynamics of TV: So many channels, so little time to hook viewers. "Executives at the broadcast networks are operating in a climate of fear," says Jon Burlingame, the author of "TV's Greatest Hits," a history of theme music. "They're paranoid that if they haven't grabbed you in the first two minutes, you'll go away."

He laments: "The value of a theme as an identifying signature of a program is not appreciated by producers."

"It used to be," says Burlingame, "that you'd be in the kitchen getting a sandwich or a soda, and you'd hear that theme. It would remind you that your favorite show is coming on. There was a time when these composers really knew how to capture the essence of a show in music. It seemed so right and appropriate. That's the gift of composer. I hope we're not losing that."

"Oh, yeah, we're moving on up, to the East Side . . . "

The whole piece is well worth the read.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

DR Jose, i think you are right re: the total time for the chicken being about the same.

But i just don't like grilling for more than 20-30 minutes.  Oftentime i'm not sure how much gas i have left in the grill.

Well... If you run out of gas, then you can finish on the stove top and/or oven.

*And you can purchase those little adhesive strips that adhere to the side of the tank that indicate the level of the gas in the tank.  Because the gas is compressed - and cold - it does it by temperature.  For a more "homey" method, you can always pour some hot water down the side of the tank, then use your fingers to feel where the gas is.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »

The magic is in the hole, you know!     8)

Yes - JMK's favorite Portand donut shop - the family site classification of HHW precludes my posting some of their more intesting confections.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »

For a more "homey" method, you can always pour some hot water down the side of the tank, then use your fingers to feel where the gas is.

Or let your Lab out on the deck to do the job.

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

intesting confections.

If one dies intestate, does one's family serve intesting confections at the wake?

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »

WELCOME new Dear Reader, PDXJane!  :D

singdaw

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »

Whoops....there she went.

singdaw

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »

People come and go so quickly around here.

singdaw

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »

I don't know about you, but I am ready to get this weekend under way.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »

Whoops....there she went.

...another rubber-tree plant!

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »

...another rubber-tree plant!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:49 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Showing off your basket?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »

For any "Lost" fans out there - and I think there are some here in HHW ;) - here's an interview with Harold Perrineau and his thoughts on what happened in the season finale.  CLICK HERE

*There's also a link to another article/interview that's also worth a read.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

Showing off your basket?

der Brucer

Look more like he was showing off his bu...

Oh, nevermind.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

Hey, all DR's!  Thanks so much for all the positive vibes for my work situation.  I really appreciate it and also all the help for posting my picture.  I'll wait on that until I get back from the Oregon coast on Sunday.  My sister and I are taking off in about 45 minutes to go there.  BTW, my sis is PDXJane.  She didn't want to post until she has more time but she thanks you for the welcome.  She'll post when we return as well.

JulieC40

« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »

I'd like to find out which donut shop is JMK's favorite here in Oregon since we live in the same town.  Since he's my music director, I would have something to bribe with.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

OK... Time to take care of some tidying up.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JulieC40

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

Well, signing off...heading to the coast.  Everyone have a great weekend! :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »

JMK would also like to know what JMK's favorite donut shop is.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

And tonight, on Doctor Who, David, Catherine and Freema (aka the Doctor, Donna and Martha) will be joined by Georgia Moffett as Jenny, in a tale entitled "The Doctor's Daughter".

As it happens, Ms. Moffett is the real life daughter of Peter Davison, who was the fifth actor to play the Doctor.  So she really is the Doctor's Daughter!

(And, rumour has it, Ms. Moffett is currently dating Mr. Tennant (aka David), which somehow has an incestuous ring to it.  My, my, my!)

Interesting...it's been a while (obviously), but I had heard that David Tennant's girlfriend's name was Sophia. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »

Had my morning rehearsal with the gal playing Susie - she sings the song wonderfully.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »

Fingers (and toes) crossed vibes please:  I think my long, national nightmare with Funai may be coming to a close.  I just got some free advice from a consumer advocate attorney who gave some very good news.  Oregon has a Consumer Warranty Act on the books which specifically states that any manufacturer must have repair services available in the state, and that if a repair cannot be effected by the local repair dealer, I have the right to return the item to the retailer for a replacement!  So I just called Fred Meyer and gave them the story of my life, they were very amenable but need approval from the buyer (which, considering it's a state law, I don't think is going to argue much) and I get a new tv.  Only five months of wonky sound later.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »

***NEW TV VIBES***[/size][/color]
for DR JMK!!![/size][/color]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

Vacuuming - Done.  Dusting(!!!!!!) - Done.

And now I think I may go Celebrate National Donut Day!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »

***NEW TV VIBES***[/size][/color]
for DR JMK!!![/size][/color]

DITTO!!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »

Playing through the Nudie score - my mind is, unfortunately, where it shouldn't be and I'm trying my hardest to not let it dwell there.  Oy and vey.

George

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

Glad to read that DR MBarnum is having such a fantastic time in Memphis.

Speaking of Memphis (and I don't remember if I've posted this yet), but for the first time ever, I bought a season ticket to the 5th Avenue theatre in Seattle!  Anyway, one of the shows in the season is called Memphis!  Here's the description from the website:

We’re talkin’ downtown, down-home Memphis of the ’50s. Rock ’n’ roll is taking over the airways, Elvis is a wannabe, and a downright demented deejay named Huey is spinning the music of black and white America together for the first time. From the author of I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change and Over the River and Through the Woods, and the composer-keyboardist of Bon Jovi, comes a rafter-rattling musical that immortalizes the man who gave rock its original roll.

I'm way up in the nose-bleed section, but I'm seeing seven shows for the price of six...the seventh being the world premiere of Shrek: The Musical in its pre-Broadway run!!

George

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »

Must have been TCM. May was Frank Sinatra month and in addition to showing his films, they showed some of his prime TV specials from the 1960s and 1970s.

That's it.  I quickly skipped through it and didn't notice the (usual) TCM logo in a corner...which is good.  I don't like those things. :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »

Speaking of Memphis (and I don't remember if I've posted this yet), but for the first time ever, I bought a season ticket to the 5th Avenue theatre in Seattle!  Anyway, one of the shows in the season is called Memphis!  Here's the description from the website:

We’re talkin’ downtown, down-home Memphis of the ’50s. Rock ’n’ roll is taking over the airways, Elvis is a wannabe, and a downright demented deejay named Huey is spinning the music of black and white America together for the first time. From the author of I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change and Over the River and Through the Woods, and the composer-keyboardist of Bon Jovi, comes a rafter-rattling musical that immortalizes the man who gave rock its original roll.

...And they brought in a small band - piano, bass and drums - for their dance callbacks...  And a lot of amps and speakers... And they always seemed to be in the room right below me on six different audition days...  It was interesting having a not-so-faint backbeat during the ballads that people brought into sing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »

OK... Time for me to proceed with the rest of my day... Whatever that may be...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up