Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 31978 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2004, 09:53:42 PM »

None taken, Tomovoz!  I won't be buying either, either.  I remember watching (and liking) "Wonder Woman," but I never got into "The Dukes of Hazzard."  I don't know why.  Nowadays, I find that I'd rather watch John Schneider and/or Tom Wopat in just about anything much more so than Linda Carter.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 09:55:49 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2004, 10:02:34 PM »

What shall I watch now?  Just finished Death in Venice about which more in tomorrow's notes.  I can only do one Visconti a night, so The Damned will have to wait.  Perhaps Clouzot's Le Corbeau or Ronald Neame's Tunes of Glory, or Mr. Antonioni's Blow Up.  Hmmm.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »

Well, I did manage to catch half the BAFTAs, a classy, witty, simple award show sans glitz and hype and over-production.  Stephen Fry is the perfect host.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2004, 10:09:26 PM »

According to dvdtimes.co.uk, "Angels In America" is going to be released in a barebones DVD on June 1st.  It's not even listed on amazon.com or hbo.com yet as having a date available.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2004, 10:16:24 PM »

George -- Thank you for The Dukes of Hazzard poster.  I can't believe that either Mr. Wopat or Mr. Schneider was ever that young.  That poster serves as a vivid reminder of why I much prefer boys after they have become men.

And on the subject of Tom Wopat, I could listen to the BP version of Annie Get Your Gun a thousand times, just to hear Mr. Wopat sing that one line, To hold a man in your arms is wonderful.  Ahh, a guy can dream can't he?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2004, 10:36:28 PM »

Just finished Death in Venice
I haven't seen that film since it came out. How I loved it back then! I bought the soundtrack and played it endlessly. I think that was the year I was in a Mahler/Death frame of mind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2004, 10:42:37 PM »

I hit send before I was done... I finally managed to cut my script to the required 100 pages. Tomorrow I'll do another intensive pass and Tuesday it goes to the producers to see if they have more notes before it goes to the network. (They will!) Must get to reading now. I have a book to finish by tomorrow to see if I'd be interested in adapting it. I ate a ton of peanuts tonight and now feel like I'm about to burst. Good night, all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2004, 10:50:43 PM »

They come, they go, like Grand Hotel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »

There are no count them no people here.  How sad to be all alone in the world.  I am, however, a majority of one and I don't mind having a conversation with myself.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2004, 11:04:26 PM »

Sorry, BK.  I keep going elsewhere to see if I can find anything interesting to discuss here, and keep coming up empty.

It's that kind of weekend, I guess.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2004, 11:13:23 PM »

There is something Rehoboth Beach lacks right now.  There is not a single bookstore in town with a really good magazine rack.

This is not a good thing.  I used to buy all sorts of magazines on a regular basis, back in the days when I was commuting from Long Beach to Glendale and fro again.  What I hadn't realized was that der Brucer had been going through a lot of the stuff I was bringing home, just out of interest.

Tonight, while we were getting some veg to go with dinner (opting for spinach), he found himself in front of the grocery store's magazine rack.  "Y'know, it used to be you could find all sorts of magazines about movies and that sort of stuff," he was grousing.  All he could find was the latest copy of Starlog, not what he normally picked out of my briefcase at all because I would more regularly bring home copies of things like Cinefex.

I've a hunch we're going to have to start subscribing to magazines, something we haven't done for quite some time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2004, 11:14:30 PM »

As oft mentioned at this site, "Death In Venice" is one of my very favourite movies and stars my favourite Movie Star of his time - and my youth. And he was a wonderful writer. The beach scene (The Lido I think) near the end where the colour runs from his hair is heartbreaking.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2004, 11:15:41 PM »

"Death in Venice" was also my first introduction to Mahler. "And here's to Mahler".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2004, 11:20:14 PM »

Well, I wrote quite a bit about it in tomorrow's notes, which will be up at midnight.

Denizens!  That's what I'M talkin' about.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »

Time for Mr Tacoma to add a salient point that all of us here can discuss for another post or two! A "village" near here is "Tecoma". That might make us distant cousins - a regional difference in spelling.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2004, 11:26:47 PM »

It' already tomorrow here BK. Thus my comments about Death In Venice". I look forward to your views.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:32 PM »

Speaking of Grand Hotel, the musical, not the movie; I wish I could figure out what it is about that show that I don't enjoy.  I saw a truly splendid production of the show two years ago, and although I could find no fault with the actors {superb) or the direction (excellent), I came away from that show feeling ... I don't know........ unclean.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:53 PM »

Yes, it's almost tomorrow, yet still it's today - oh, a Jerry Herman reference.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2004, 11:53:27 PM »

Just read the interview - my favourite. A wonderful piece of work from interviewer and interviewee.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2004, 11:54:45 PM »

You mean the Alet Oury interview?  Or some other interview?

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2004, 11:56:59 PM »

Alet Oury. Wonderful BK.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »

I spoke to her this very day and she's doing swell.  She just read Benjamin Kritzer and called to tell me she loved it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up