Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESIDENT'S DAY  (Read 22534 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PRESIDENT'S DAY
« on: February 16, 2004, 12:01:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes are now a part of you and you are a part of them.  These are metaphysical things I speak of, dear readers.  Now it is time to post and as President I say to it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:02:13 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:PRESIDENT'S DAY
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:16:52 AM »

The best thing that would happen if I were President would be that George Bush wouldn't be president anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 12:17:19 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo) - there are slightly more detailed thoughts on Death in Venice and Pickup on South Street over at The DVD Place - http://dvds.allaccessworld.com for those who are interested in more detailed thoughts.  I, myself, am more interested in detailed thoughts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 12:46:04 AM »

I wouldn't want to be President.  I'd leave that to der Brucer.  I'd much rather be the First Significant Other.  Or at least the First Out-Of-the-Closet Significant Other.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 06:24:34 AM »

If I were President, ev'ry day would be the first day of spring, every heart would have a new song to sing, and we'd sing of the joy every morning would bring...

Then again, if I were King--which leads us to your François Villon picture for today:
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 06:33:01 AM »

And while we're at it, here is Sharon McNight (no K) impersonating Sophie Tucker.

Now, if I were the last of the red hot mamas...
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 06:55:33 AM »

Well, I'm NOT the Prez, but I do sing of the joy ev'ry morning can bring... Jeez, my voice is holding up wonderfully well, and it's sunny AGAIN! and last night i hired an onstage dresser, and yesterday I dyed my roots, and here we are in Production Week!!! Nothin' I love more than this job!!!! Beats working for a living.

Just by the way, JRand53: did the one-woman showgirl of yer dreams come in and audition yesterday? If not, how soon do you need someone, and I'll be in NYC for a week next Monday, and back in LA on the evening of March 2, and I do love a solo show... (shameless self-promotion, and no apology).

I did decide to cut one fabulous song from my show here in Bristol: Embraceable You had to go, though I love it so much, because it just stops everything cold and then I have to crank the scene back up again after. Oh, the agony! But, onward.

Have a wonderful day, Friends!
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 06:57:36 AM »

If I were President - first I would say that laws had to be voted upon NOT adjudicated - second I would impose TERM LIMITS on senators and representatives...NO MORE CAREER POLITICIANS!  Two terms are enough for a President...two terms are enough for those people!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 06:58:44 AM »

Ah lovely PennyO - this is a one woman show called LOVING LUCY about Ms Lucille Ball with unfortunately NO SINGING.

There were a couple of good candidates and I chose one....more about her later, as rehearsal progresses.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 07:15:01 AM »

Ah lovely PennyO - this is a one woman show called LOVING LUCY about Ms Lucille Ball with unfortunately NO SINGING.

There were a couple of good candidates and I chose one....more about her later, as rehearsal progresses.

I eagerly await tales of your work! And another by-the-way: I have played many non-singing roles successfully, from John Guare to Neil Simon to Shakespeare and Moliere. Also get a kick (and the occasional paycheck) from stand-up comedy. Though I can play an empty-headed opera diva, a brainless soprano egomaniac, a whistle-in-her-throat oddity -- that's not all I am!

I actually have three different "performer" resumes: one lists operettas, musicals, a few 'lighter" operas; one has musicals, some G&S, and lighter comedies (including some Chekov, but not enough to scare people); one has mostly drama, Shakespeare, classics, a few "serious" musicals (and - for chrisssakes- no high notes or dancing!). I whip out one of the three, depending upon what I'm auditioning for.

I have found that having all my credits on ONE res just confuses people.
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 07:29:40 AM »

I like the idea of term limits for senators and representatives. I agree completely. 8 years is long enough for anyone to serve.

I think I'd do something to simplify federal income tax. Make it a blanket 7% for everyone and do away with all these loopholes and legaleze that makes filling out a federal tax form so horribly complicated.

DR S. Woody. ALIAS was exciting last night, and the revelation in the preview wasn't the least little bit of a surprise for me. I've suspected it since the end of the first season. Marshall is my favorite supporting character, but it was over-the-top last night, and it got irritating infringing on the suspense that way. I have always wanted Sydney and Weiss to get together, and I really thought the show was moving that way earlier in the season. I guess it could still happen, but glad to see he got some major screen time. Now, if they could find some way to bring back Bradley Cooper permanently, I'd be satisfied.

And, BK, I see that the third season of ALIAS on DVD will be released on September 7th.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 08:01:21 AM »

Matt H,

I gather I shouldn't give away too many details from Alias episodes, for the sake of those catching up. But I'm really enjoying Melissa George as Lauren - especially good was the scene in which she was casually chatting on the phone with Vaughn. Did you catch Melissa George on a Monk episode - she was very funny, and I think she could give Nicole Kidman a run for her money. DRTomovOz - is the Australian MG a big name there?

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 08:05:07 AM »

Ah, DR Dan, we have to part company here. While I think the character of Lauren is VERY effective in many different ways this year, I really loathe Melissa George as an actress. SInce I do watch MONK, I must have seen her, but I have no memory of it.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 08:20:52 AM »

DR Matt -

No prob. Just add it to our list, which so far includes I Had a Ball. (In Monk, she played the all-about-Eve actress who replaced Sharona's sister.)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 08:24:27 AM »

Good morning. I laughed out loud at the description of pitching DEATH IN VENICE in the Notes. Sadly true. As I said, yesterday, I love and adore that movie. It is just my kind of film -- nothing much happens plot-wise to beautiful music with great actors. Dirk Bogarde was and is one of my favorites. I'll watch him in practically anything. And, of course, the "nothing much happens" is nonsense. An enormous amount happens, but it happens inside people.

I must shower now and work. Got a brilliant idea while walking early this morning, put it in the script as soon as I got back in. Now I go through the whole thing one more time, and tomorrow she's out the door. (Until the producers throw it back at me for a few "little fixes" before it goes to the network.)

BTW - I agree with FS Pogue's post about being the Prez. However, I couldn't be the prez 'cause I'm a Canadian citizen. And even if I became an American citizen, I was born in Hungary, so no can do. I could be Prime Minister, I guess. I don't think Canada has any silly laws about having to be born there to become leader (I may be wrong). But I don't want to go live in Ottawa, so that's the end of that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 08:38:15 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 08:33:41 AM »

Before I go - I don't know how many DRs watch SEX AND THE CITY. But I do think this final season is wonderful. Last night's penultimate episode was particularly good. Except I'm suing because they're stealing my life. Well, not exactly...Mikhail Baryshnikov isn't whisking me off to live with him in Paris... But otherwise...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 08:46:17 AM »

This has probably been mentioned here before, as I am seriously behind the times in terms of popular culture and new releases, but The Five Pennies is coming out on CD next month.

I was saddened to read this morning of Kitty Bradley's passing.  Did any of you LA folk know her?  She was a screenwriter and second wife of Gen. Omar Bradley, who was my father's immediate superior in WWII.  The Bradleys came to our house several times when I was growing up, and I have some very cool personal letters from Gen. Bradley to my Dad.  (My Dad was in the battalion that Patton had to apologize to after slapping the shell-shocked soldier--try saying that three times fast--and he actually took pictures of it!).  I also have what I think is a very rare pic that my Dad took of Churchill and Eisenhower coming out of a tent after making some final plans for D-Day.  Maybe I should try that one out on eBay!  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 08:50:55 AM »

Just got an e-mail from a friend who teaches at a private high school in New Mexico. He was looking among his friends who have a knowledge of movies for a film to show his senior class as a companion piece to their reading of SIDDHARTHA. The other teachers are showing THE RAZOR'S EDGE (Bill Murray version) - but he previewed it and didn't like it. Here's part of the letter:
"I am writing to ask if you have a suggestion for a film that a) represents in some clear and powerful way the protagonist's quest to discover him/herself and/or the meaning of life and 2) is a high achievement as a work of art.  I might add as another criterion that it be a suitable companion piece to SIDDHARTHA:  the students will be reading Hesse over the same days as they are also watching whatever movie I choose (and will also be writing in a journal some reflections on their own journey)."

My mind is too full of what I'm working on right now, to be of much use with suggestions. So I throw this out to all of you.  I'm sure you'll have some excellent suggestions. (Remember - it's a high school.)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 08:59:41 AM »

I did my Honors English thesis on Hesse, DR Panni--there was actually a pretty good film adaptation of Siddhartha that must have come out in the mid-70s or maybe just a little later.  I remember going to it with all my pseudo-intellectual friends at the time, and they didn't get the sound up on the first reel right away.  There were all of these desert shots, and my smart-aleck friend yelled out, "These must not be the barking sands".  Why do I remember stuff like that?

Back in the day I always wanted to make The Glass Bead Game with Richard Burton.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 09:06:58 AM »

I think Merchant-Ivory's MAURICE represents exactly what you're describing - a young Edwardian era gentleman comes to terms with his homosexuality through a painful, scary, and hurtful but ultimately fulfilling journey/process.

However, to show to high school students - no. The girls in general would probably get it and be thoroughly caught up in it, but the boys in general would be sniggering about the nudity and sex and probably find it ultimately a bore.

Don't mean to make any offensive blanket statements about teenagers as they're as varied a group as any other and have the potential for enlightenment possibly better than older people already set in their ways and in rigid mindsets. On the other hand, having taught them for 30 years, more often than not, the majority kind of fell into lockstep with the descriptions I stated above.

Robin

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 09:07:41 AM »

Well, if I were President (and fat chance of that!), I'd love to do two things.

First off, gay marriage.  It speaks directly to what kind of country we should be; one that accepts people who are different, or one that doesn't.  The USA was one of the last democracies to allow women's suffrage; the fact gay and lesbian folks aren't allowed to marry is shameful...we should be leading the way in the cause of human freedom, not hiding our heads in the sand because some people think GLBT people should remain second-class citizens.

Second off, I'd like to remove the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, and get the church back where it belongs...in church.  None of this creationist garbage in our schools, using public policies for religious indoctrination.  

Oh, and the Presidential dress code of a suit and tie every day...that'd be history.  Every day in the nation should be Casual Friday.

And I might have Kenny G. shot.  That alone would send my poll numbers through the roof.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 09:10:45 AM »

DR Dan: Thanks for the reminder about the Melissa George/MONK episode. I honestly don't remember that one. Was it the first season of the show?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 09:26:28 AM »

Good morning!

Hmm... If I was President... In the larger picture of things, I would insure that I'm actually listening to the people - my people (you know, like Eva Peron, did ;-)) - and not always to the people's representatives - who, at this point and time, seem to be representing special interest groups and not necessarily "the people".  Yes, various opinions would abound, but, at least any major decisions would have to be thought through rather than legislated through.  A pipe dream?  Probably... But one can dream...

And if it would be at all possible, I would get rid of the two-party system - or how many party system it is now.  Even among the big two, the Democrats and the Republicans, there are so many variations, so many leanings left and right within each party.  Bi-partisanship is a good thing.  The greater good is a good thing.  (Oh, is the Martha Stewart trial on "vacation" today too?)  Heck, how else do you account for gay Republicans? ;-)  -Seriously, I do know some gay Republicans, and they've presented and defended their viewpoints and policies on various topics to me.  Some I agree with, some I don't.  But that's what makes politics.  However, there are some points where it just seems like they were towing the party line, almost in a sense of blind faith.  True Faith is for religion, not for political figures.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 09:27:59 AM »

....AND that sense of "blind faith" exists on both sides of the aisle.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 09:31:36 AM »

Totally agree about the income tax.  Blanket tax, 7 to 10%.  If they can't run a country on that, then they should be tarred and feathered.  Oh, I do know it would force them to not have wasteful programs that go nowhere and eventually die after costing billions of dollars, but they'll just have to learn how to cope.  Do you know that if every citizen of this country simply said, "No, here's 7% of my income and that's all you're getting" the government would have no choice but to change the tax laws, as the people will have spoken in the most eloquent way - through action.  But sadly, ninety percent of the people in this country are sheep and will do exactly as they're told no matter how wrong it is.  Tax businesses, tax corporations - those can stay the same - people who work hard for their money should be allowed to keep the bulk of it.  End of rant.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 09:38:17 AM »

In other news...

Of particular interest to DR Danise - I think this morning, was the morning!  Actually, even last night as I went to have a cookie, I had the sense that I was having a cookie just because I had some in the apartment, and because it was there, I might as well eat it.  -Oh, and maybe the fact that I was still a bit P.O.'ed last night had something to do with it... -In any case, that's a good sign - for me, at least.  The "cookie moment" not the being P.O.'ed.

And instead of sitting with my laptop for the first hour or two after waking up this morning, I made myself some breakfast!  -And Egg-Beaters omelet.  I even took a multi-vitamin this morning too!  -One step at a time...

In the land of meteorological events, it looks like we may getting another "significant snow event" starting tomorrow afternoon.  And, wouldn't you know it? I have to go grocery shopping this afternoon!  Heck, it should be fun watching everyone scramble for the "staples" - it always is.  DR MattH - Are you due to be hit by this storm in your neck of the woods?

Well, I believe I hear my roommate finally stirring... Here we go again...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 09:50:10 AM »

- second I would impose TERM LIMITS on senators and representatives...NO MORE CAREER POLITICIANS!  Two terms are enough for a President...two terms are enough for those people!

Be careful what you wish for. The law of unintended consequences is a bastard!

Take CA as a case study.

The good folks voted in term limits in order to limit he control of "career politicians". Now, on their way out the door, the incumbent "career politicians" did some clever redistricting to give themselves "safe" new homes for runs at different offices. Termed out State Assemblymen now run for the State Senate; termed out state Senators now run for State Assembly; when this chain runs out they return to be Mayor or powerful City Councilmen.

Because term limits ultimately guarantees a flow of "new faces", the political operatives work overtime at "maturing" potential candidates. What used to be "non-partisan" races are now fought as partisan battles. Running for Community College Board? What's your stand on Gun Control? Should the US get out of the UN? Did you support the war in Bosnia? What about Abortion? Death Penalty? NAFTA? All elected offices (even the Water Board, for XXXXx sake) are considered "grooming" ground for a new flock of politicos.

Now the "new faces" have begun arriving in droves in Sacramento; unfortunately, in the process, the legislature has lost its "institutional memory" - and nothing gets done. Because new legislators have little time to bone up on the complexities of the various issues presented for vote, they are left to the mercy of the paid special interest lobbyists to bring them up to speed. Because crafting complex bills is, itself, a craft that takes much time to master, the Lobbyists now ghost write most all of the legislation.

Because most of the legislators run in "safe districts" (those controlled by one party or the other), and they are limited to the time they can serve in a particular office, there is little competition for re-election - translation - the incumbent doesn't need to worry as much about the folks back home.

Because most seats are "safe", the real battles are in the primary. Primaries tend to be controlled by the fringe wings of the parties. So, in Republican dominated districts, the "Calling them Nazis isn't nice" far right fringe dominates, and in the Democrat dominated districts, the "Calling them Commie Pinkos isn't nice" far left fringe dominates. The result is the slate gets legislators that have little practice, indeed desire, to look for the common middle ground where compromise is reached - the result - a gridlocked legislature.

So CA has traded-in Career Politicians for musical-chair playing extremist amateurs while the unelected, unaccountable, lobbyists run much of the state.

CA has lots of good examples of "good ideas gone bad".
The mental health experts decried the forced institutionalization of the mentally-ill, many of whom it was proposed, could be better, and more economically, treated in local group homes or from out-patient clinics.

Done said the state! State mental institutions were closed in droves. Laws were passed making forced detention of the mentally-ill well neigh impossible until they fired the first shot or were standing on a 12th story ledge. (Needless to say, the "economy minded" legislature made no provision for funding local group homes or outpatient mental heath clinics.) Currently the largest collection of seriously mentally ill people in the state is in the LA County Jail - which has neither the means nor the expertise to provide proper medical care.

Another "good-idea gone bad" was the infamous Proposition 13. Property taxes had gotten way out of control (partly due to the rampant inflation of the time) so the good folks rolled back the assessed values of all real property and put a lower than inflation cap on increase in property tax rates. (No one of course addressed the issue of replacing the lost revenue.)

Oh, boy, I could (and often do) go on and on.

der Brucer (now living in a country where the commissioners are embarrassed by the positive growth rate of the budget surplus and in a state where the Governor is generally praised for the way she has proposed spending the states budget surplus - and there is no Sales Tax!))
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 09:50:28 AM »

First off, gay marriage.  It speaks directly to what kind of country we should be; one that accepts people who are different, or one that doesn't.
My daughter who goes to school in San Francisco was telling me yesterday that there are long  queues around City Hall -- gay couples lining up to get married.
Hurray for San Fran!

Panni

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion, Matt H. I agree that MAURICE is not for the high school crowd.
JMK - I think he wants to show a companion piece, rather than a filmed version of the book.

Please keep the ideas coming, DRs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 09:55:36 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 09:55:55 AM »

Lost Horizon is about a man's quest and journey, no?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up