Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESIDENT'S DAY  (Read 22559 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PRESIDENT'S DAY
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2004, 10:02:06 AM »

OH!  Has anyone else gone through yesterday's NY Times Art & Leisure and special Oscar Movies supplement?  I'm still working my way through it, but there are some great articles all around.  A nice piece on the process and search for Harvey Fierstein's successor in Hairspray.  And I LOVE the "acceptance speeches" written by various pundits and comedians.  Margaret Cho's speech for Charlize Theron for winning for Monster is quite funny!

And I was particularly pleased to see some excerpts from the nominated Original Screenplays.  One of my favorite sections from In America is excerpted, and it has one of my favorite lines...

(I won't give the whole set up except to say the husband is an aspiring actor, the wife is pregnant, and that they are having a fight.  And I guess I should post a SPOILER ALERT just in case...  Even though there's no real spoiler ahead, but for those DRs and DLs who still plan to see the movie and want to keep it all a surprise...)

Johnny  Do you want me to lie?

Sarah  So you're not the only actor in the world who can't lie, Johnny? Not even for the sake of your kids?

Johnny  What does that mean?

Sarah  If you can't touch somebody you created, how can you create somebody that'll touch anybody?

Johnny  What are you going on about?

Sarah  Acting, Johnny.  And bringing something to life, it's the same thing.  That's why you can't get a job acting, Johnny.  Because you can't feel anything.

-Very much shades of Sunday in the Park with George for me.  Which is another portrayal of an Artist.  And Life.

OH, and from the article about the new Edna:

"Out of more than 600 performances at the Neil Simon Theater so far, Mr. Fierstein has missed one-half of one - and then only because we was so sick he couldn't return to the stage after intermission."

WOW!!!  Now that's a STAR!

Hmmm... Time to go crawl back into a corner out of view the NY Times police... ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:05:43 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2004, 10:05:01 AM »

Matt,

We have ExpressVu, which gives us a mix of old and new episodes (as well as shows bounced because of Canadian specials). Fortunately, I'm hooked on only three series - Monk, Alias, Without a Trace. But it appears that this is a recent episode (Googled; see précis below). Also making a guest appearance was Betty Buckley. (I can usually distinguish between the old and new shows because the earlier ones were shot in Toronto.)

Mr. Monk Goes to the Theatre - Jan. 24, 2004.
Monk becomes the world's most terrified - and tidy - actor when he stars in a play while investigating an on-stage murder witnessed by 300 theatergoers. The murder was apparently committed by Sharona's sister.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:07:38 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2004, 10:08:34 AM »

Good morning!

Heck, how else do you account for gay Republicans? ;-)  -Seriously, I do know some gay Republicans, and they've presented and defended their viewpoints and policies on various topics to me.  Some I agree with, some I don't.  But that's what makes politics.  However, there are some points where it just seems like they were towing the party line, almost in a sense of blind faith.  True Faith is for religion, not for political figures.

In may experience "True Faith Believers" are not clustered in any one political party.

Surprisingly, I find the "True Faith" Democrats more intolerant of my "Republicanism" that I find the "True Faith Republicans" of my "Homosexuality".

I have been spat upon by Gay Progressives for being a member of Log Cabin; our local County Republican Central Committee  elected me Chairman for three consecutive terms, and they selected SWW to be their representative at the full county Committee.

der Brucer (an "Eggs Benedict" Republican as opposed to Jose's Egg White Omelet persuasion)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2004, 10:10:23 AM »

Lost Horizon is about a man's quest and journey, no?

Oh yes, and make it the musical.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2004, 10:14:20 AM »

Matt,

Fortunately, I'm hooked on only three series - Monk, Alias, Without a Trace.

Hey, throw in "Cold Case" (airs before Alias on CBS).

der Brucer (who is delighted by the Philadelphia exteriors in Cold Case)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:14:54 AM by DERBRUCER »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2004, 10:16:34 AM »

In may experience "True Faith Believers" are not clustered in any one political party.

Surprisingly, I find the "True Faith" Democrats more intolerant of my "Republicanism" that I find the "True Faith Republicans" of my "Homosexuality".

I have been spat upon by Gay Progressives for being a member of Log Cabin; our local County Republican Central Committee  elected me Chairman for three consecutive terms, and they selected SWW to be their representative at the full county Committee.

der Brucer (an "Eggs Benedict" Republican as opposed to Jose's Egg White Omelet persuasion)

Very well said!

-Oh, and you come with Hollandaise Sauce too!  YUMMY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2004, 10:18:14 AM »

Hey, throw in "Cold Case" (airs before Alias on CBS).

der Brucer (who is delighted by the Philadelphia exteriors in Cold Case)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. Gord caught it last night, and he liked it. In addition to Alias, there are two series that he tries never to miss:

Oz, and Golden Girls.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2004, 10:33:25 AM »

Good afternoon!

Well, I'm off to get some work done... Here comes the dust bunnies!  -I guess I should take a Chlortrimetron before I begin this afternoon's excavation.

Be back later...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2004, 11:01:17 AM »

I second MR BK's recommendation of the RONALD COLMAN-FRANK CAPRA "Lost Horizon"....sorry DRTCB not the musical.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2004, 11:03:45 AM »

It's not the Republican Party that's evil, but the extreme right faction of the party that has co-opted it.  

Republicans used to be the party of less government.  Now they're the party that wants to be in my living-room, bedroom, looking over my shoulder when I'm on the computer or reading a book.

They used to be the party of Teddy Roosevelt...trust-buster and monoply breaker-upper.  They've become synonomous with big business cronyism.  When will Bush's pals at Enron be indicted?  (You know, it was companies like Enron who were responsible for California's energy crisis and part of its financial troubles...because of price gouging)

They used to be the party of Lincoln...the great Emancipator.  Now they wield racism like a subtle stiletto.

They have tried to blur the lines between church and state.  I was going to say that they've turned lying into a fine art...but actually they haven't they just boldly and arrogantly lie and don't care and stonewall you.  Can anyone legitimately justify why Scalia doesn't recuse himself from the Cheney case?  If this was a Democrat doing this, the Republicans would be screaming "Rule of Law" and holy Hell.

By the by, this gay marriage thing and the Bush defense, "Marriage is Sacred."  No, when you have a divorce rate of fifty percent, marriage isn't remotely sacred. When morons like Brittney Spears can go on a drunken spree that culminates in a spur-of-the-moment marriage with no blood tests, no waiting period for a license than marriage isn't  remotely sacred.  So if Bushie and the GOP (Grey Old Men; Grumpy Old Poops) want to deny gay marriage, they have to find a better one than the sanctity of marriage.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2004, 11:16:40 AM »

...Now they wield racism like a subtle..

Maybe a stab with a "subtle stiletto" is part of Compassionate Conservatism.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2004, 11:27:24 AM »

I also enjoyed Alias last night.  Apparently it won't be on for another 3 weeks. Boo :(

I really don't get why they gave away a significant plot point, in the teaser for the next episode.  Yes, they gave a hint about said plot point during the show.

But are teasers/previews supposed to give away major plot points?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 11:29:38 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2004, 11:28:02 AM »

DR Jose, we were supposed to get the snow storm yesterday, but the temperatures did not drop fast enough, and all it ended up being was rain. It's as gorgeous today as can be, though very cold - 39 at this moment.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 11:28:45 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2004, 11:32:57 AM »

I agree completely on COLD CASE. That show leaves me with a lump in my throat just about every week. There's something about giving people closure after many, many years in limbo that just tears me up inside. It's a very satisfying and emotionally affecting program.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2004, 11:33:36 AM »

Stop me before I kill again!

In the brief hour I have been gone from the site I journeyed to BN.com to buy Penny's "Jewish Thighs on B'Way" to read before the show on Saturday (forgive me Noel).

Well, while there I picked up "New Brain" and "Amour" that SWW wanted; he also wanted Uncharted Territory, but getting it from them would have delayed my Jewish Thighs shipment. So off to Amazon! Ordered the Schwartz, and noticed that I still had the cast recording of "Loesser by Loesser" (so I ordered it to honor DR CP). While there I was prompted to pick up the DVD of the London Oklahoma and the CD of "The Boy from OZ" (I've always been a Peter Allen fan - comes from hanging out in too many gay piano bars). Also succumbed to Wasserman's "The Impossible Musical ('cause I'm a nut for reading about "the creative process"). In deference to our dear BK, I did not order "Broadway Inspirations".

der Brucer - pondering where to add the latest purchases to the burgeoning shelves (DVDs now stand at 574 disks - 368 titles) CDs are over 700, with 350 Musical Show related. (And don't get me started on Cook Books!)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

Thanks, Dan, for the MONK synopsis. I DID see that episode; from Season 2. I sure didn't remember Melissa George on it. Perhaps it will be one of the ones ABC reruns on Saturday nights and nI can catch it again.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »

- I think this morning, was the morning!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DIET![/move]

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

But are teasers/previews supposed to give away major plot points?

Let's ask Janet Jackson about "teasers".

der Brucer (who noticed Beyonce is joining the "let it all hang out" club Almost X-Rated)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2004, 11:44:13 AM »

If I were president I would pass a law to protect the environment.  At this moment I’m not sure which environmental protection act it would be since there are so many to choose from.  Then of course I would have to hope the next administration didn’t overthrow my good deed.

Must leave the computer as the carpet guy is about to clean in here.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2004, 11:49:26 AM »

In other news...

- I think this morning, was the morning!  

Why do I have this surrealistic vision of you standing at a counter with an Egg-beater Omelet on one side and a Large slab of Death by Chocolate on the the other while an Orchestra with oh so many strings launches into "This Is My Moment".

der Brucer (who once lost over 20 lbs by switching to Miller Lite from Budweiser)

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2004, 11:52:08 AM »

Some shows are more infamous than ALIAS about giving away major plot points in previews. Last season, '24' created a firestorm when it revealed the DEATH of a major character in a preview.

In the case of the ALIAS revelation, though I said before it didn't surprise me, one must also remember who it was who was talking and the fact that this character admitted he enjoyed manipulating people and pulling strings. That might have been all it was. Or not. :)

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2004, 11:52:30 AM »

So, here's my presidential query:
IF marriage is a sacred and holy union of two people, then how can the government (which according to the Constitution, seperates CHURCH from STATE) think that they have any right to redifine MARRIAGE and pass bills on who can and cannot marry whom?  
For pity's sakes!  Prisoners in institutions across these vast United States can get married while serving time for THE CRIMES they have committed -they're not in a Las Vegas hotel!  Why should CRIMINALS have more rights than the man or the woman in the streets?! ! ?
So, you see, IF I WERE PRESIDENT, my two biggies would be rulings on RULINGS ON MARRIAGE and PRISON REFORM.  Prisons are not meant to be dude ranches, they are meant to be reform oriented, not social halls.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 11:53:13 AM »

Notes from around the world #1

Canada gets even!

Canada Condemns 'Racist' Conan O'Brien TV Show

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 12:00:29 PM »

Notes from around the world #2:

TomOfOz - watch out for your neighbors!

Harried Hares

New Zealand's advertising watchdog has determined that an ad featuring a group of dancing, chanting butchers praising red meat was "extremely derogatory and insulting to Hare Krishnas," reports the New Zealand Herald

"The Appeal Board was in no doubt that the intonation, rhythm, chanting and instrumentation of the butchers dancing down the street was evocative of the Hare Krishna movement," the Advertising Standards Complaint Board said in its ruling.

"Taking into account that Hare Krishnas had vegetarian dietary habits and considered the cow to be a sacred animal, the advertisement ... was extremely derogatory and insulting to Hare Krishnas," it added.

der Brucer (who as a frequent airline traveller has little good will for the Hairy Krishas)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

By the by, this gay marriage thing and the Bush defense, "Marriage is Sacred."  No, when you have a divorce rate of fifty percent, marriage isn't remotely sacred. When morons like Brittney Spears can go on a drunken spree that culminates in a spur-of-the-moment marriage with no blood tests, no waiting period for a license than marriage isn't  remotely sacred.  So if Bushie and the GOP (Grey Old Men; Grumpy Old Poops) want to deny gay marriage, they have to find a better one than the sanctity of marriage.

Right on! You write with such humor and passion, FS Pogue! A great combination.

Thank you for the LOST HORIZON suggestion, bk.  A good choice. I'll pass it on.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2004, 12:03:13 PM »

And here at home:

Roger Friedman in Fox News:

CBS Apologizes for Being on the Air

In the past week, CBS has apologized for the Super Bowl halftime show, made Justin Timberlake apologize for the same and now they've said they're sorry that OutKast dressed up like Indians on the Grammy show.

If there's anything else CBS is sorry for they should get it out of their system. They don't seem to be sorry for "Survivor" or all the hideous reality shows it begat. They're not sorry for the sad shape of "The Early Show," or the disastrous way they treat "Guiding Light" after 40-plus years on the air. If I were CBS, I would also apologize for "Becker," "Yes, Dear," "King of Queens," "Still Standing," the existence of Richard Hatch and every treacly season of "Touched by an Angel."

But hey, the year is young!

der Brucer (Gee, Roger, tell us what you really think!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy President's Day[/move][/b]

to all presidents who were not
         appointed by the Supreme Court
         due to voting booth fraud
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:05:35 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2004, 12:14:56 PM »

If I were President (although I prefer Vice), I would start by trying to mend fences with our allies all over the world.  This lone gunslinger mentality has turned us from the most powerful and popular nation on earth to the most popular and feared nation on earth.  And when I had finsihed with that, I would send Conan O'Brien to North Korea and see what he could do for us there.

And speaking of Vice Presidents, did you notice that the only couple in recent history that has matched Tipper and Al Gore for The Kiss was Lisa Minelli and David Gest?  What could that possibly mean?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »

...this character admitted he enjoyed manipulating people and pulling strings...

Karl Rove in a Sitcom?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2004, 12:27:59 PM »

The phone people were supposed to be here between 8 and 12.  It is now 12:30.  I've been told I'm next and yet they cannot tell me when he'll be here - which begs the question: Why book a morning appt between 8 and 12 if they can't tell you when the technician will arrive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up