Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESIDENT'S DAY  (Read 22553 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:PRESIDENT'S DAY
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2004, 12:28:35 PM »

Hi RLP and

WELCOME!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:29:46 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2004, 12:33:26 PM »

Great first post RLP. Welcome from lurkdom. (From someone who is not going to comment on American presidents etc).
Dan: Melissa George - I think the Oz teenagers are familiar with her work. I am not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:43:26 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2004, 12:56:19 PM »

Good afternoon!

Well... I got some of my excavation done...  Not too much dust... yeah, right!  Ah, well...

If found some things I was looking for.  I found some things I had been looking for a few months ago.  I found things I wasn't looking for - "Oh, that's right, I did buy/copy that music!?!?".  And, unfortunately, there are still a few items that will have to be found in the next stage of the dig.

-And after a trip to Kinko's this afternoon, I should have some various and sundried packages off to various and sundried DRs tomorrow morning! *I'd go today, but since it's President's Day, the post office is closed.  But we all already knew it was President's Day due to our own calendar-savvy BK!

And, BK - Ah, the "joys" of "appointment windows".  -At least you're working from home currently, so.... - Always a bright side, ain't there? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2004, 12:56:51 PM »

IF marriage is a sacred and holy union of two people, then how can the government (which according to the Constitution, seperates CHURCH from STATE) think that they have any right to redifine MARRIAGE and pass bills on who can and cannot marry whom?  

The "Gay Marriage Issue" is not as simple as it first appears.

If we simply state the "Marriage" is a religious rite, then keeping the government out of it makes perfect sense - let the churches set their own rules. However, when the state also establishes "Marriage" as a civil contract with attendant benefits and obligations, the issue clouds.

If we were to relegate "Marriage" to the Churches, and establish a separate "civil-union" for family units much of the argument would go away - a solution, by the way, which is not on the table!

One proposed position is to define civil "Marriage" as a contract between one man and one woman, and to establish a separate "civil union" for non-traditional families. This position (with which I, for one, could live) finds enemies all camps. Gay activists say that "separate but equal is not equal" and demand state sanctioned "Gay Marriage"; the religious right says that any civil union that confers benefits similar to civil marriage is an attack on The Family and spells the end of civilization. (To these folks, "Marriage" is a zero sum -game; whatever is awarded to same-sex couples is a subtraction from Traditional Families.)

The current debate centers on The Family Marriage Amendment - and the devil is in the details. The press is fond of stating that the Amendment simply provides that Marriage be restricted to one-man/one women. The oft-reported polls usually ask a question like "Do you think marriage should be restricted to one man/one women?".

However, the issue on the able is The Federal Marriage Amendment introduced last year by Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colo.).

It states: "“Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman."

OK so far, for most folks.

But it then goes on to say:

"Neither this constitution or the constitution of any state, nor state or federal law, shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups.”

And now the parsing begins!

(Following extracted from The Southern Voice):

Gay rights attorneys have said the term “legal incidents” of marriage would outlaw civil unions and domestic partnership laws as well as same-sex marriage, saying the amendment would overturn domestic partner laws in dozens of cities and states. It would also nullify Vermont’s landmark civil unions law, according to gay rights attorneys.

Musgrave and attorneys backing the amendment, including several law school professors, dispute this assertion. They argue that the amendment would allow civil unions and domestic partner laws to stand as long as they are enacted by state legislatures or other legislative bodies rather than by courts or judges.

[end of extract]

So it seems the Federal Marriage Amendment is, if nothing else, a full-employment bill for lawyers.

It seems clear that regardless of the proponents’ zeal, there will be no Constitutional change for some years. It also seems clear that in that time span civil-unions and domestic partnerships will continue where now present, and most likely expand to other states.

No one dares look ahead to the utter chaos attendant on an ex-post facto rejection of such arrangements - too many bells will have been rung!

So like so many issues, when somebody says "Gay Marriage" we probably need to ask, "What do you mean?"

der Brucer (who, along with many others, is concerned that a full-court press for Gay Marriage today could jeopardize many of the gains the gay community has already made - a review of 1930's Germany will establish that "the clock can indeed be turned back".

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »

Poor BK: I'm sure they'll be there soon. After all you are next :)

I hate it that they expect people to sit at home all day waiting for whatever technician to show up. They should be able to give you a one hour period, instead of saying we'll be there between 9pm-5pm.

Btw, Der Brucer: Living in Montreal, there was an article in the paper about that Conan O'Brien show (filmed in Toronto) where they insulted French speaking Quebecois.  Btw, did anyone actually see the show?

DR Jose: I am anxious to hear what your roomie said. Hopefully he's considerate and apologizes.

Robin

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2004, 01:20:06 PM »

DR Jose: I am anxious to hear what your roomie said. Hopefully he's considerate and apologizes.

Someday, we should do a "roommate horror stories" day...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2004, 01:23:51 PM »

I'm next, all right.  Only the technician who's coming here STARTED at noon, so there is no telling when he'll be here.  These people are the stupidest most inept people ever.  When I asked the dispatcher why I was told a morning appointment, his response was "I don't have that information".  Apparently no one has that information.  No one can tell anyone anything.  And the people at SBC are happy enough to sell you DSL but not happy to deal with problems.  The people at DSL are not happy to deal with problems.  The tech support people are all very nice but they're at the behest of these other cretins.  And here I sit, so angry that I cannot even work.  They are now trying to find out some kind of time frame so that I can at least get the hell out of here for a little bit.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2004, 01:28:45 PM »

Someday, we should do a "roommate horror stories" day...

And I've got a beaut when we do. I can even provide visual aids with my story.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2004, 01:32:07 PM »

They are now trying to find out some kind of time frame so that I can at least get the hell out of here for a little bit.

I hate feeling trapped in my own house.   >:(

Jane

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2004, 01:35:16 PM »

Matt H-LOL

As an adult I have only had one roommate-Keith.  Lucky me! :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2004, 01:39:49 PM »

I think Merchant-Ivory's MAURICE represents exactly what you're describing - a young Edwardian era gentleman comes to terms with his homosexuality through a painful, scary, and hurtful but ultimately fulfilling journey/process.

However, to show to high school students - no. The girls in general would probably get it and be thoroughly caught up in it, but the boys in general would be sniggering about the nudity and sex and probably find it ultimately a bore.

Don't mean to make any offensive blanket statements about teenagers as they're as varied a group as any other and have the potential for enlightenment possibly better than older people already set in their ways and in rigid mindsets. On the other hand, having taught them for 30 years, more often than not, the majority kind of fell into lockstep with the descriptions I stated above.
I'd be more worried about their parents.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »

The "Gay Marriage Issue" is not as simple as it first appears.

If we were to relegate "Marriage" to the Churches, and establish a separate "civil-union" for family units much of the argument would go away - a solution, by the way, which is not on the table!

der Brucer (who, along with many others, is concerned that a full-court press for Gay Marriage today could jeopardize many of the gains the gay community has already made - a review of 1930's Germany will establish that "the clock can indeed be turned back".

I share that fear with you, my friend, and think it's unfortunate that the issue is coming up this year, what with the election and all.  And you can bet that it will come up, over and over again, as the Right tries to paint the Democrats as the party that wants to destroy the Institution of Marriage. . .

As to the whole thing 'bout "marriage" being a religious institution and "civil unions" being a state institution...well, it sort of IS on the table.  The Democrats running for president* have essentially made "civil unions" between gay and lesbian couples part of their positions on the issue, stopping short of calling it "marriage".  This is a position I can live with, and apparently, you can too.  But the religious right cannot.  Any legal parity between heterosexual and homosexual couples will automatically get challenged as being an attack on the institution of marriage; that much they've made abundantly clear.  

And as to the whole "Sanctity of Marriage" arguement...it seems to me that a relationship is as sacred as the two people in it make it.  The idea that one relationship is more "blessed" than another by virtue of anatomical equipment isn't just stupid, it's offensive.  

(*It's important to note here that both Dennis Kuchinich and the Rev. Al Sharpton do support full marriage benefits to gay and lesbian couples.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2004, 01:54:24 PM »

DerBrucer - I started reading your post on "gay marriage" and stopped because it was making me think too much about issues other than my script. So - stop posting thought provoking intelligent stuff, for God's sake, until I finish working!
I'll get back to your post later. Looks like a good one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2004, 01:55:42 PM »

Latest update: The technician is on his way and should be here within the hour, whatever that means.

I ran to my mail place and thankfully the new TIVO unit was there and they gave me the same model I had so I don't have to learn everything again.  Now if the TIVO people show up by noon tomorrow, all will be well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2004, 01:58:29 PM »

I will have to be off-line while the technician is here, so keep the home fries burning.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2004, 01:59:42 PM »

der Brucer - pondering where to add the latest purchases to the burgeoning shelves (DVDs now stand at 574 disks - 368 titles) CDs are over 700, with 350 Musical Show related. (And don't get me started on Cook Books!)
The cook books are mine!  Mine!  MINE!  And don't you forget it!  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2004, 02:10:48 PM »

I don't have the nerve to count my DVDs or CDs. I think the number would be so absurdly high that I'd be shamed into thinking I could have spent the money on something more practical like a new roof for the house or repainting the entire house.

Bah! I love music and movies.  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2004, 02:11:04 PM »

Good vibes to BK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The thing I want to know is do all customers get upset by stupidity or are we the only ones who get stupid employees?  

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2004, 02:16:23 PM »

Good luck DR Jose with your diet.

And how pathetic is it that BK's mention of "home fries" made me crave french fries :)

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2004, 02:18:27 PM »

Am I the only one here who rarely BUYS dvds (except theatre related)?  I rent movies at my video store, instead of buying them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »

Interesting news from the Great White Way - Nancy Opel will be replacing Barbara Barrie in the still in previews revival of Fiddler on the Roof.  The reason given is "creative differences".

DR Jennifer - Well, my roommate did apologize for the "incident" - and, I, of course, told him that there was still some "stuff" on the sink - which he will take care of tonight - but I will take care of it in a few minutes since I don't want to be washing up in a dirty sink.  Oh - and he only "made contact" with me on his way out the door to work.  Otherwise, he stayed in his bedroom or the bathroom since he woke up.  What's the term I learned in Avenue Q?  -Ah, Schadenfreude!  I guess it can be applied in this situation.

OK - Time to get out of the apartment for a while... Later, folks.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2004, 02:21:07 PM »

Dear BK: Re the notion of a flat tax, I'm basically in agreement.  However, we're not talking about funding just one level of government, but four.  We've got the National level, State level, County (or Province or whatever) level, and the Local (city, township) level.

So, if we're talking about a one single rate of tax, then that rate has to be divvied up somehow, and getting the various levels to agree on how those divvies are to be divved is going to cause a major headache.

I recall that the counties in California already have a particularly difficult time raising monies, because the state grabs so much and bars the counties from getting more than the state "charitably" gives them.  This works fine, for counties with small populations, but the County of Los Angeles is facing bankruptcy, and that county's infrastructure is falling apart.

Likewise, does a state like South Dakota need the same proportion of tax money as populous states like CA?

So much for finding an easy solution.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »

Well I thought today was going to be a good one, but unfortunatly it did not. One of my co-workers passed away over the weekend. She was younger than I and had young children. I worked with her closely and am absolutely devasted. I thought she would get better, but took a bad turn and the family took her off life support.

Life is so fragile. We must appreciate the people we know and love because tomorrow they could be gone.

Tonight I am seeing Janna Robbins at the Crest Theater in Delray Beach. I hope it will make me feel better.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2004, 02:28:54 PM »

And as to the whole "Sanctity of Marriage" arguement...it seems to me that a relationship is as sacred as the two people in it make it.  The idea that one relationship is more "blessed" than another by virtue of anatomical equipment isn't just stupid, it's offensive.  

It's really quite time for rational thought to enter this entire debate over "sanctity" and marriage being something that only "God" can consecrate.

Marriage is much older than Christianity or the concept of "God" as the one creator of all things.  Marriage has been around since man began taking a mate.  Marriage has been an institution in all religions and non-religions since history began being recorded.  Isis and Osiris spring to mind.

Marriage is a personal commitment to another person.  All the "State" has to do is to recognize such commitments "equally" in regards to the benefits society grants those in committed relationships.

Church has no business being a State argument.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:51:00 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2004, 02:31:03 PM »

DR Robin Anderson - And I'm guessing some of us could share "tour mate" horror stories too!  Boy, do I have some of those!  Thankfully, all with happy endings.

I counted my CDs a few years ago.  I did break into four digits, but I don't remember the specific count.  And I think it was that inventory that curbed my buying of CDs.  There were and still are too many titles I've either: 1) listened to oncein it's entirety, 2) listened to only one or two tracks, 3) not listened to at all - but I have it for reference (Can you say Wagner's "Ring Cycle"?), and 4) not listened at all AND still in the original cellophane wrap!

My DVD collection, however, is relatively small and "reasonable" - I'm not even sure I've topped 50 titles.  I've mainly bought shows (musical theatre), some classics, Disney and a couple of all time favorites - sentimental and otherwise.

Ok - Now I'm off... laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2004, 02:32:56 PM »

Just got an e-mail from a friend who teaches at a private high school in New Mexico. He was looking among his friends who have a knowledge of movies for a film to show his senior class as a companion piece to their reading of SIDDHARTHA. The other teachers are showing THE RAZOR'S EDGE (Bill Murray version) - but he previewed it and didn't like it. Here's part of the letter:
"I am writing to ask if you have a suggestion for a film that a) represents in some clear and powerful way the protagonist's quest to discover him/herself and/or the meaning of life and 2) is a high achievement as a work of art.  I might add as another criterion that it be a suitable companion piece to SIDDHARTHA:  the students will be reading Hesse over the same days as they are also watching whatever movie I choose (and will also be writing in a journal some reflections on their own journey)."

Panni - I think you should suggest GROUNDHOG DAY, also with Bill Murray. It is a great work of art, and would go so well with SIDDHARTHA. I love this film.
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2004, 02:39:48 PM »

Re the DVD collection der Brucer mentioned: some of the stuff we have we've added to our collection for the benefit of the grandlads.  I seriously doubt that I would have let him buy The Story of Peter Cottontail for our viewing pleasure.  Likewise, my "arguement" for getting the Chaplin DVDs was not just for my own enjoyment, but so that we would have them on hand for the grandlads when they've grown enough to appreciate them.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet on the various titles we've got.  To the side of the sheet is a "notes" section, basically as a reminder for how appropriate certain films are for the lads.  Some I've listed as "for older kids," some I comment on the level of violence.  I'm thinking of listing some as "Not when Mommy is around," but if Mommy gets ahold of the list she might not appreciate that.   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2004, 02:45:56 PM »

The technician has been and gone.  Apparently the DSL signal is not getting to my house strongly enough.  Another technician must now come out and check the cables on their end.  This will happen tomorrow between eight and twelve.  Uh huh.  Could even happen later today.  Uh huh.  At noon tomorrow DSL is working or it's history.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2004, 02:51:54 PM »

Bruce, when I wanted to upgrade from standard phone dial-up to a faster Internet access, I tried to get DSL first, mainly because I saw a lot of commercials advertising specials.  Anyway, when I tried to actually sign up it, it turned out that I lived too far away from their "hub" to be able to get it.  You had to live within 15,000 feet (a little less than 3 miles) of the hub and I lived too far away.  I wonder if that might be a problem with the signal not being strong enough.

I went with cable Internet access (by default) but have been very happy...so far. :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:53:24 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2004, 02:53:31 PM »

DSL is worth the wait, BK, if AOL is the alternative.

I waited two years, sad to say, from the time I was approved for a DSL/home computer package  to the time the DSL signal actually entered my home.

Glad to say the PC arrived right away but I had to use AOL for those two years.  I would not go back for anything.

There are too many cooks in the DSL stew, apparently, and they aren't all following the same recipe.  I recommend a bit more patience and let them sort things out.  You'll be glad in the end.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up