Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESIDENT'S DAY  (Read 23788 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:PRESIDENT'S DAY
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2004, 02:54:08 PM »

Oh my, I've never seen this board so political before!  I guess Presidents' Day is more than just a Monday Holiday (PRICES SLASHED!!) around here.

Flat Tax:  I think the problem with a "flat tax" is the way the political system in this country works.  As soon as a Flat Tax Bill is introduced in Congress, there will be deals made to get it passed.  And one of the deals will be an itty-bitty rider granting just one itt-bitty and necessary exception.  And then two.  And then three.  And once it gets passed, the next year will see a couple of laws granting exceptions and exeptions to the exceptions, and before long we'll be right back where we are now.

Of course, if by some miracle a pure flat tax law did take effect, the devestating unemployment among accountants might cause an economic upheaval.

Marriage and Saving the Family:  I know that France and other European countries have a rather sensible system.  Civil marriage is in no way whatsoever related to religious ceremonies.  You can have a $10,000,000 wedding in the middle of the Champs Élysés officiated by the Pope himself, but you are not married in the eyes of the law until you have a ceremony officiated by a civil clerk.

It always seemed rather absurd that in our country a religious professional is able to perform a ceremony that is recognized by the civil authorities.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:02 PM »

Panni - I think you should suggest GROUNDHOG DAY, also with Bill Murray. It is a great work of art, and would go so well with SIDDHARTHA. I love this film.

Bill Murray's "A Razor's Edge"?  Good lord!

The original with Tyrone Power would have been far better.

However, looking for something a bit more contemporary that qualifies as art and has a protagonist seeking herself and a meaning to life, look no further than "Out of Africa."  One of the great stories to find perfect realization on film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:17 PM »

Re the DVD collection der Brucer mentioned: some of the stuff we have we've added to our collection for the benefit of the grandlads.  I seriously doubt that I would have let him buy The Story of Peter Cottontail for our viewing pleasure.  Likewise, my "arguement" for getting the Chaplin DVDs was not just for my own enjoyment, but so that we would have them on hand for the grandlads when they've grown enough to appreciate them.

Jeez, you sweet ol' Grampa's make me so jealous of those little grandlads... Adopt me, guys!!! PS - thanks for buying my book!! Now, that's a true friend - one who actually BUYS the book.  And it's so true. Ask BK, Panni, Pogue, the other writers on the site. It takes time and effort to create stories, with the fondest hope of entertaining our now-and-future friends and fans. How very touched I am that you've gone and bought JEWISH THIGHS!! (keep it from the grandlads... oy, would their mother plotz!)
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »

The first thing that I'd do as President (today's Topic of the Day) is repeal the D.O.M.A. (Defense of Marriage Act...unless it already has been.  I don’t know.).  If it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender, it seems that the D.O.M.A. and any potential legislation to define U.S. civil marriage as specifically between a man and a woman, is basically trying to legislate discrimination and that alone should make it unconstitutional.  I know it's a simplistic argument, but there you go.

Also, if marriage is such a "sacred" institution, wouldn't that preclude self-proclaimed athiests from being able to get married?  Shouldn't "marriage" then exist ONLY within the context of a religious organization and then they (those of the religious organization) could (legally) prevent anyone who wasn't a devout member of their specific church from getting married?  AND if marriage really is such a "sacred" institution, shouldn't D-I-V-O-R-C-E (a Tammy Wynette reference) be illegal?  Hmmm?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:58:48 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Golly gee, I got the first post on page 4!

In celebration, here is another picture of Sharon McNight (no K), evidently playing the part of Belle Poitrine.

And by the bye (btb in Internet Lingo), are all you Patrick Dennis fans aware that belle poitrine is French for "beautiful bossom"?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2004, 03:06:53 PM »

Gee!

Wouldn't you think there'd be a law that made it a requirement for a politician to be E-lected first before he ran for RE-election?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2004, 03:43:57 PM »

Am I the only one here who rarely BUYS dvds (except theatre related)?  I rent movies at my video store, instead of buying them.

I'm with you, except we get them through Netflix.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2004, 03:52:10 PM »

When I ordered DSL through SBC (my phone provider) they told me I was not that close to the hub and that I wouldn't get the "speediest" service, but that it would be thirty times faster or more than dial-up.  Obviously, they know where Studio City is, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has DSL around here.  In fact, the technician said he'd gotten a good signal about a half-year ago right around the corner.  

But, if there were a problem with proximity, they should know that and not try to sell you something they can't deliver.  I can get the cable modem thing through Direct TV, no problem, and that will be the next step.

Jed

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2004, 03:53:39 PM »

Hello all.  Been a bit E&T the past day or two, but am back now.  Spent much of yesterday feeling rather ill, but luckily it turned out to be a 12-hour bug of some sort, and all is well in the world of Jed's stomach again.

Topic d'jour... If someone wanted me to be President, I'd run like hell. :D  

Didn't even realize until just now how appropriate it is that I'm having myself a bit of a The West Wing marathon at the moment.  I'm guessing there's probably one of the same happening on TV, but as I am without cable, mine is via DVD.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »

Michael Shayne I’m sorry about your co-worker.  It is very sad.

td

• td
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2004, 03:57:16 PM »

Well I thought today was going to be a good one, but unfortunatly it did not. One of my co-workers passed away over the weekend. She was younger than I and had young children. I worked with her closely and am absolutely devasted. I thought she would get better, but took a bad turn and the family took her off life support.

Life is so fragile. We must appreciate the people we know and love because tomorrow they could be gone.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]AMEN![/move][/color]
 :'(
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2004, 03:59:39 PM »

BK, here is someone to get your mind off of your DSL worries!

Jed

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2004, 04:00:35 PM »

And I might have Kenny G. shot.  That alone would send my poll numbers through the roof.  

I've always loved the fact that when Kenny G graduated high school, he auditioned for the music department at my alma mater.  Our jazz director at the time (a legend in the NW jazz education world) not only didn't take Kenny in his jazz band, but he flatly denied him entrance into the department! :D

td

• td
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2004, 04:03:05 PM »

So, here's my presidential query:
IF marriage is a sacred and holy union of two people, then how can the government (which according to the Constitution, seperates CHURCH from STATE) think that they have any right to redifine MARRIAGE and pass bills on who can and cannot marry whom?  

Please note that I qualified my query with a MAJOR "IF."

Marriage needs to have a definite definition ere lawgivers and lawmakers may begin to pass laws regarding it.  And, it should start at the lowest level of jurisdiction.

Personally, with the divorce rate as high as it is, I oftimes wonder whether or not marriage is a dead as the dodo; then I see couples who have been together through the good, the bad and the ugly who made committments and stuck to them for, and I think that marriage is alive and well.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2004, 04:06:39 PM »

I've always loved the fact that when Kenny G graduated high school, he auditioned for the music department at my alma mater.  Our jazz director at the time (a legend in the NW jazz education world) not only didn't take Kenny in his jazz band, but he flatly denied him entrance into the department! :D

Smart man.  So how did he get to be so popular.  His music is sooooo boring!

Jane

« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2004, 04:08:04 PM »

Penny we also love “Ground Hog Day” but I never thought of suggesting it.  Odd, but good choice.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2004, 04:42:39 PM »

Michael Shayne - Sorry to hear of the loss of your colleague.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2004, 04:46:24 PM »

Thanks for the movie suggestions, all.

I'm finished the revised script! I guess I'll read it one more time - but I've been going almost non-stop since very early this morning. I think it's in good shape. But at the moment I couldn't clearly tell you my name - so what do I know? I'm going to feed the wonderdog now and take him out for a short walk. That may (or may not) clear my head for one more reading of the script.

Panni

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2004, 04:47:41 PM »

...And I teared up at the end. Which is always a good sign. If it moves me and I wrote it, maybe it'll move people who didn't write it -- if that makes any sense.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2004, 04:53:49 PM »

Could Cinema Paradiso - the full three-hour version - work as the movie?

And very interesting crawls across the bottom of my TV screen right now... Some school systems are already announcing that they will start two hours late tomorrow.  Hmm... However, the storm is still not due to hit until tomorrow afternoon.  Guess I need to check the latest weather reports... Unless...

The crawls have stopped... I wonder if it was a mistake and/or test run. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2004, 05:00:32 PM »

What's the difference between DSL & Broadband?  I'm still using dial-up.  

RLP is right.  Go with the Ty Power version of THE RAZOR'S EDGE.  Besides Ty, the beautiful Gene Tierney, the delightfully acerbic Clifton Webb, The sturdy John Payne, a strong, Anne Baxter, and the ever-staunch Bart Marshall (or Herbert, if you prefer).

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2004, 05:06:24 PM »

DR Michael Shayne: I'm very sorry about your co-worker. I hope her young kids have lots of family and friends to help them get through this difficult time.

Jed

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2004, 06:25:05 PM »

6 posts in over two hours?  Well, at least it didn't take long to catch up...  :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2004, 06:38:53 PM »

Yeah, even I was amazed, but then it's been that kind of a day.

Panni

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2004, 06:43:57 PM »

I'll post just to keep the home fries burning.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2004, 06:51:35 PM »

...And I teared up at the end. Which is always a good sign. If it moves me and I wrote it, maybe it'll move people who didn't write it -- if that makes any sense.

Lots of sense and made me smile.   :)

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2004, 07:10:23 PM »

Well, I could post another photo of Ms. Leslie Parrish, but I am not sure if BK enjoyed the first one!!!

So instead I will post another photo of Mr. Cal Bolder!

Woops, I don't find that I have any more photos of Mr. Cal Bolder at the moment. So here is a nice photo of the mysterious Mr. Brad Jackson, who declines to be interviewed  :'(

I stilll like him though.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2004, 07:17:33 PM »

...or I could post a nice photo of Mr. Van Williams who did let me interview him! Here he is with his lovely co-star from BOURBON STREET BEAT Ms. Arlene Howell.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2004, 07:21:21 PM »

Ok, I am doing my best at keeping home fries burning!!

Here is a nice shot of the lovely Ms. Diana (THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN) Darrin in an episode of the Superman TV series. Ms. Darrin of course is one of the lovely people I had the pleasure of luncheoning with in my travels down south in September (which I of course have talked about non-stop on this hear sight for the last few months! LOL!)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2004, 07:32:26 PM »

Now, that's a true friend - one who actually BUYS the book.  And it's so true. Ask BK, Panni, Pogue, the other writers on the site.

Well, a little promotion helps. BK is a shameless hustler, so I have all the Benjamin Whats-his-name books - autographed no less, with stains from ham chunks and cheese slices. I presumed Panni and Pogue only wrote screenplays, if not, then, again, a little promotion would help.

der Brucer (eager consumer awaits ads)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up