Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 35166 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2004, 10:45:21 PM »

I know you're breathing, I can hear you out there.

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2004, 10:49:15 PM »

The big news of the day is that Jed is back. Lesser news is that I purchased a copy of "Grave Of The Fireflies" and Michael Bublé's Christmas CD - Of course we have Christmas at a different time in OZ.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:16:17 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2004, 11:00:16 PM »

Has BK decided not to tell us the list songs, or has that post been removed so it won't spoil the surprise for the Canadian Kimlets who be receiving their CDs five weeks late? ::)  Just kidding, my Northern friends!  Living in Western Washington State, I have long suffered from the infamous three-hour delay.  The worst times are the award shows (except the Tonys), and the Olympics, when Lord knows how many hours the networks will delay the coverage.

Welcome DR Jenny!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2004, 11:02:08 PM »

Titles revealed in tomorrow's notes.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2004, 11:06:26 PM »

Titles revealed in tomorrow's notes.  

You mean I am going to have to break down and read tomorrow's notes??? ??? ::) ;D Just kidding, BK.

“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2004, 11:21:24 PM »

Geez, only gone for two days and it still takes a long ol' time to catch up on some 400 posts!

Had a pleasant, relaxed weekend visiting home.  Visited with my mom, sister, and grandparents (tried to meet up with my dad, but timing just didn't work out this time).  Also got to meet the newest member of the family, a 7-month old German Shepherd/Husky mix named Ky.  Nice for mom to have someone to share the big ol' house with. :)

Glad to hear PennyO's show is going so wonderfully!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2004, 11:21:41 PM »

Goodnight Washingtonians. Its feed time in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2004, 11:23:41 PM »

I've studied it carefully and was extremely disappointed to discover that it does not explain why "Grande," which translates as "Large," is not the biggest cup of coffee you can buy there.  

It's the same reason that soft drinks at movie theaters (and other places) come in medium, large, and jumbo!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

Phantom of the Opera was bad in so many ways, but, at least, I thought, it had some passably romantic melodies.

A rival composer recently played me the section of The Girl of the Golden West that got the lyrics "Turn your head away from the garish light of day"

As Billy Crystal says in Forget Paris, the main song is School Days (or, a de-waltzed version of Come To Me Bend To Me)

I hear Ah Leave Me Not To Pine (G & S) in the song that contains the immortal line "You were once a friend and father."

One of my favorites is Ballad of the Easy Life from 3Penny Opera.  Put it over a disco bass and voila, you've got the title song.

But I've always liked Think of Me . . . it's comparatively original!

Speaking of ALW stealing..but this is him stealing from himself...sort of.  What's the line from Scrambled Feet?  "I'm stealing from the stuff I already stole!"  The music to this song, "Married Man," was the tune that became "Music of the Night":

Dreams of summer, secret smiles between us
Our first meeting, you'd thought they had seen us
We both tried explaining
Then it started raining
Then you said, "I love you, girl," and then
"I'm much too old to fall in love again."

I thought I had posted this before, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe it was in the previous (non-searchable) version of HHW.  Anyway, the song is from a version of Aspects of Love that was written shortly after Cats.  Originally it was supposed to have had lyrics by Tim Rice...to get him and ALW back together again, but the re-partnering fell through.  These lyrics were written by Trevor Nunn.  When the whole project was abandoned, most of the music from that version of Aspects of Love went into what is now known as The Phantom of the Opera (plus a little of "The Girl of the Golden West"). ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:29:05 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2004, 11:27:25 PM »

Living in Western Washington State

Ahh, how those five simple words sound so appealing to me right now.  I've grown quite tired of the east side of the state, so I plan to join TCB, Ann, and George on their side of the Cascades come July!!! :D  And if I land in the somewhere in the south sound area, TCB and I can finally star in a show together!

Jed

« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2004, 11:29:27 PM »

Oh yes!  Welcome to new DR Jenny!!!

My goodness... I'm having a mini-frenzy here...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2004, 11:31:15 PM »

Geez, only gone for two days and it still takes a long ol' time to catch up on some 400 posts!

Had a pleasant, relaxed weekend visiting home.  Visited with my mom, sister, and grandparents (tried to meet up with my dad, but timing just didn't work out this time).  Also got to meet the newest member of the family, a 7-month old German Shepherd/Husky mix named Ky.  Nice for mom to have someone to share the big ol' house with. :)

Glad to hear PennyO's show is going so wonderfully!

Jed -- Is your Grandfather Smith still alive?
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2004, 11:34:31 PM »

Yes, TCB, it was he and my grandmother Smith that I was visiting last night.  He turned 79 a couple weeks ago, and after a bout with cancer and some heart problems the past few years he's slowed a bit, but he's most certainly still around.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2004, 11:37:49 PM »

I've just come across something that's a little scary.

I thought, and I think der Brucer is under the impression, that the tix he got us for Assassins were for the first night of previews.

Going over the Roundabout's website, I'm not sure they're having previews.  It looks very much like they go right into regular performances.

But that's ridiculous.  He can't have gotten tix for opening night!  

Can he?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:39:55 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2004, 11:45:41 PM »

I can't remember exactly, but I just think the Roundabout doesn't call their previews previews.  I think there's an "official" opening night, though, but I could be wrong.  Then again, I could be right.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2004, 11:54:21 PM »

I'm back. In the last hour, did some writing, some TV watching, some e-mail answering, some phone talking -- and I'm still not tired. Went to bed really late last night, got up really early this morning, so I should be exhausted. But I'm not. Strange, but true, Dear Readers. I guess I'll stick around until the notes come up and be a late night denizen. If I lived in the nation's capital, would I be a Denizen Washington? And are the early morning posters Denizens Day? If I were jumping up and down would I be Denizen Hopper?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2004, 11:59:35 PM »

This late night denizen is laughing (ruefully). Just opened a thick letter from the CBC that had been lying unopened on my desk. Inside was a long list of sitcom episodes I had written. Residual city, man! Then I looked at the letter enclosed with the list. The CBC accounting dept. apologizes for the "grave accounting error" they committed by overpaying me last year, so they're now deducting the sum from any upcoming residuals - including this one. Hear me laughing? I laugh and laugh.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:00:55 AM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2004, 12:00:50 AM »

Ahh, how those five simple words sound so appealing to me right now.  I've grown quite tired of the east side of the state, so I plan to join TCB, Ann, and George on their side of the Cascades come July!!! :D  And if I land in the somewhere in the south sound area, TCB and I can finally star in a show together!

Ohhh, son, what great news!  We can do Tribute together!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up