Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: COMEDY TODAY  (Read 64956 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:COMEDY TODAY
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 07:32:34 AM »

It will be a totally NBC night for me. I can't wait to see the season premieres for both CHUCK and LIFE, both of which have garnered excellent advanced reviews. (CHUCK has already been renewed for the entire season because NBC is so pleased with the episodes already filmed.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 07:32:56 AM »

I can see Erev Rosh Hashana from my house!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:21 AM »

Page Two Glinda and Dorothy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

I'll be doing my level best to finish up with NUMB3RS today. I have five episodes left. There don't appear to be any bonus features left, so I should be able to finish them this afternoon and tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 07:38:09 AM »

I'll be trying to squeeze in TRUE BLOOD at some point today as well. I won't be watching any of NBC's shows "live" tonight. I'll record them all and start around 8:50 watching CHUCK which will allow me to catch up to the end of LIFE about the time the network actually gets there.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »

I wish I could answer your question about THE GODFATHER on Blu-ray, bk, but I reviewed the sDVDs. Every review I've read has praised the look of the Blu-rays, but the set is $61 on sale, and as much as I admire the first two films (especially the second one), I'm not going to spring for that set until I can get a really great deal on it.

Perhaps one of our other DRs who has gone Blu has it and will respond.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:07 AM »

A cowpoke decides to end his long hot day on the range by stopping at the town tavern and getting a drink.  He rides his horse to the saloon, ties her to the hitching post, strolls through the doors, wearily climbs up a barstool, orders a beer and leans on the bar to relax and enjoy his drink.

Suddenly, a grizzly old farmhand bursts through the tavern doors.  "Buck!  Buck!  Come quick!  Lightnin' struck a tree and your fields are a'burnin'!"

The cowpoke jumps off the barstool, rushes out the doors, unties his horse and jumps on, and begins to head out of town.  But half way down the main street he pulls his horse to a halt.

"Wait a minute!  I don't own any farm!  I don't have any fields!"  The cowpoke turns back to the tavern.  He slides off his horse, again ties it to the hitching post, strolls back through the doors, climbs back onto the stool and returns to sipping his beer.

Suddenly, a wild young man burst through the doors.  "Buck!  Buck!  Your daddy's been shot!  He's bleedin' real bad!  He's callin' for you!"

The cowpoke jumps off the barstool, rushes out the doors, unties his horse and jumps on, and steers west.  When he reaches the town limits, he again stops his horse dead in its tracks.

"Wait a minute!  My daddy died years ago!  He drowned in the river!"  The cowpoke again turns back to the tavern.  He again slides off his horse, reties it to the hitching post, strolls back through the doors, climbs back onto the stool and takes another gulp of his beer.

Suddenly, an old crone of a midwife shouts into the bar, "Buck!  Buck!  Git yur worthless hide ta home!  Yur wife is a'goin' into labor!  She's about ta give birth!"

The cowpoke recklessly jumps off the barstool, barrels through the doors, yanks his horse's ties off the post and jumps up onto the saddle, and careens the mare towards home.  When he finally reaches his cabin, he comes to a dead stop.

"Wait a minute.  My name's not Buck!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today is my day off for the week and I'm doing my best to keep it relaxed and uneventful.  Maybe a few errands around midday, but I'll have to spend the afternoon at home to cook the pot roast dinner that Richard requested.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 07:48:14 AM »

Did you hear about the whale at the aquarium that needed a circumcision?

They had to send in four skin-divers.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:20 AM »

Re:  The Godfather.  I will simply pass on what restorer Robert Harris emailed to me privately--the film was restored frame by frame to precise instructions by original DP Willis, and was based on the original answer print held by The Academy.  Harris pointed me here for more info:

http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/May2008/PostFocus/page1.php

The only place the negative was badly damaged was in the restaurant scene, where a "processing error" over the two nights of shooting had never been dealt with (as discussed in one of the extras).

So I would say in this case, The Godfather should certainly look exactly as it did (probably better) on its original theatrical release.  At least Willis seems to think so, and I'd consider him the expert.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:36 AM »

Hahahahahaha
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »

I am watching THE BOY AND THE PIRATES featuring Master Charles Herbert and a former DR looking lovely in a red velvet dress and Shirley Temple ringlets.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead went on a vacation in Mexico.  They had a great time, but woke up in jail and couldn't remember why they were there.

A guard came in a told them they had all been sentenced to death in the electric chair.  They marched them into the waiting room.

The brunette was first.  They strapped her into the chair and asked if she had any last words.  She said:  "I am a graduate of Trinity Bible College and I believe in the power of the Lord, and I am innocent of any charges."

They threw the switch and nothing happened.  The guards were astonished and let her go.

The redhead was next.  She was strapped into the chair and asked for her last words.  She said: "I am a graduate of Harvard Law School and this is a great injustice.  I wish to appeal to the highest court in the land."

They threw the switch, and again nothing happened.  The guards were impressed and let her go.

Then they strapped the blonde into the chair.  They asked her for her last words.  She said:  "I am a graduate of Ft. Lauderdale Jr. College with an associate degree in electrical engineering, and unless you plug this thing in, you're not gonna electrocute anybody."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:24 AM »

It's time for a walk.  I'm not sure in which direction yet, but I need to end up at the Lincoln Center NYPL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »

I'm heading down to get cleaned up to go out to lunch with best friend John later.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »

It's time for a walk.  I'm not sure in which direction yet, but I need to end up at the Lincoln Center NYPL.

If you drop bread crumbs, you can find your way back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »

A woman was enjoying the matinee performance of the SOUTH PACIFIC revival very much.

She noticed that there was an empty seat next to the woman seated beside her.  She also knew the show was sold out and that the ticket had been very expensive.

During intermission, she asked the woman about the empty seat.

"Oh," the woman replied, "that was my husband's ticket, but unfortunately he passed away."

"I'm sorry...but couldn't you have brought one of your friends?"

The woman said:  "No one could come.  They are all at the funeral."

FJL

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:02 AM »

Jrand, do you mind if I post that joke on All that Chat?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I am up.  Sort of.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 08:50:12 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And the sun is back out in NYC! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 08:50:18 AM »

Okay, that was very slowwwww - that post took twenty seconds to go through.

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »

It's time for a walk.

"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is. "

-Ellen DeGeneres

singdaw

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 08:52:45 AM »

Great joke, DR JRand58!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:22 AM »

DR JRand - I loved that joke!  -Even when it applied to Oklahoma and My Fair Lady.  ;)

*I especially love the variation where it is Richard Rodgers asking the woman about the empty seat next to her in the front row.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:27 AM »

What's the difference between a Snowman and a Snow-woman?

Snow balls

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »

We know the Godfather film was restored frame by frame to exact specifications - the same was said with Vertigo, but that restoration, while fine, didn't really quite have the lustre of the IB prints.  I'm not saying The Godfather doesn't - I never owned an IB print and obviously it's been years since I've seen one, but a) this DVD transfer should not be quite this soft in its mid to long shots, and interestingly, about two hours in, the color suddenly gets better and deeper (starting with the scene where Caan beats up Carlo).  If he was going off an IB answer print, then I'm sure it looks the way it did, but I'd like to see an actual print of this new restoration - my guess is it's sharp as a tack, and I'm just curious if the Blu-Ray is as well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »

As for last night's "The Amazing Race"...  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »

As for last night's "Brothers and Sisters"... :)

*But like DR MattH mentioned, that was a lot of "drama" for one episode.  However, I guess that's a good way to kick the season off.  -Even "Grey's Anatomy" planted a lot of seeds for the coming season.  And then there was "Heroes"... I may need to start taking notes.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:51 AM »

And one of my favorite "you have to think about it and say it out loud" jokes from Johnny Carson...

-What's the difference between a "vitamin" and a "hormone"?

-You can't make a "vita" "min".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:46 AM »

So... Jennifer Hudson is currently on "The View", and she's singing a song from her new album which "drops" tomorrow...  I know she's really just trying to be an "ordinary girl" - just read the article in yesterday's NY Times - but I really think she needs a stylist - or at least some better taste in clothing.  The gray "t-shirt" dress thingy she has on right now with the Ugg-like boots.. Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:04:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up