Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FRUIT AND I ARE QUITS  (Read 69805 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: FRUIT AND I ARE QUITS
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 06:52:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYPERGELAST!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »

As If By Wizardry ---PAGE 2

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 06:55:13 AM »

DR Jennifer -  I read Stephanie Meyer's Twighlight quartet recently.  It's certainly not great literature, but it was entertaining in an angsty sort of way.

After i posted last night i read more of the first book. And then i really realized why it was advertised as teen romance/drama. I think that a lot of books (i recently read two young adult series by meg cabot) that feature 17-18 year olds as the main characters, with a lot of romance but less sex are put in the teen lit category.

So after realizing this i figured probably most people on this site were not in that demographic.

I still think that a series of 500 page books would not necessarily be for every teen. And i'm sure most of the readers must be 20 somethings and older.

I am enjoying book one. I got it from the library and also have book two waiting.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 06:56:53 AM »

Tonight not too much regular programming on tv:

But the CW has 90210 and Privileged.

And Dancing with the stars has the elimination show at 8pm.

td

• td
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 07:04:45 AM »

As for the TWILIGHT series, many people (including myself) will not read them because of their obvious debt to to Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series featuring Sookie Stackhouse and The Vampire Bill.  Harris covered much of the same territory starting in 2001, right down to the were-people.  Thanks to Alan Ball and HBO, Harris is being discovered by the readers of the TWILIGHT series since TRUE BLOOD has proven to be a popular show.
I know all about horse racing, but the comments at Borders from readers of both have shown that most readers over twenty-one prefer Ms. Harris' work.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »

Good morning!

Cool and a bit overcast this morning. They say we may get rain tomorrow and Thursday, but it looks like it might arrive today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 07:35:57 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Of the 4 things on my calendar for today, 2 of them are completed - so I'm halfway there!  I'm about to leave for the lunchtime event where I'm the guest speaker and am totally dependent on the venue for my AV needs.  Pray for Rosemary's baby.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 07:37:22 AM »

On TV Tonight!

CBS - NCIS
NBC - THE BIGGEST LOSER
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS results
FOX - HOUSE
CW - 90210, PRIVILEGED
FX   - THE SHIELD

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »

I have 7 more episodes of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE which I'll be working on today. I plan to finally watch Sunday night's TRUE BLOOD while I cook and eat lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 07:39:11 AM »

And so far, still no SLEEPING BEAUTY on Blu-ray. Was Disney waiting to send out the Blu-rays after they got the BD-Live content up and running so it could be included in the reviews? Who knows?

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »

Also out today (which I had forgotten about) on DVD is THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. I've had it on VHS forever, and I haven't ordered this yet. Looks like it would be a good inclusion on my Christmas list. But I'm curious about how the transfer looks. Hopefully it'll be done with care, and the extras with Miss Lansbury should also be interesting.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »

TOD - and now for something completely different.  I learned to make these sandwiches from my mom:

Shred a pile of sharp (or medium) cheddar cheese and mix with a bottle of chili sauce.  Add chopped ripe olives.  Fill hot dog buns with the mixture and wrap them in pairs in foil.  Chill.  When ready to eat, heat in a 375o oven until filling is heated through.

Great to make ahead and have on hand when you're going to be busy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »

Wingding has his own fonts?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:41 AM »

Good Morning, All!  I'll have to go back and check out the later posts and pics from yesterday.

Home-made:  Cheese, tomato and either left over real turkey or leftover roast beef

Outside the house:  A Croque Monsieur (That's Mr. Toast or Mr. Crunch to you--- the translation  always cracked me up, but then I'm simple-minded)
There is a British version (usually with a slice of broiled tomato on top that is great because you can get it anywhere from any pub to the Savoy Grille)

A local upscale grocery store has a sandwich counter with the best Creamy Chicken Salad  (huge chunks of chicken breast and lots of mayonnaise and garlic) that is heaven on Sourdough.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:31 AM »

My grandmother used to make Pimiento and Cheese sandwiches on white bread that were quite good (although I'll admit I wasn't all that fond of "those funny red things" until I was at least about 9 or 10.  I've never had it since then that tasted like hers (close but not the same).  I don't she had any secret ingredient; I think it was just the fact that she made them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:59:30 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 07:58:52 AM »

Favorite at home sandwich:
Dip one side each of two slices of bread into beaten egg.
Grill egg-side down on griddle.
Pile with warm/hot turkey slices and chipped ham.
Top with tomato slices (should be warmed also) and shredded cheddar cheese.
Grill until cheese is melted and egg side of the bread is golden brown.

Favorite eating out sandwich:
Prmanti Bros.' Grilled Reuben - the usual suspects (corned beef, 1000 Island Dressing, Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut) PLUS French Fries and Cole Slaw.  A real mouthful.

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:14 AM »

Oh, I am full of surprises!    :)

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:44 AM »

Amongst other things.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:34 AM »

Growing up, I always looked very much forward to summertime and my dad planting his beefeater tomatoes.  Sometimes he'd say he was going to try a different variety, and then I would have to visit a nursery and pick out a couple of beefeater plants to raise on my own.

Didn't realize he was doubling his harvest without increasing his effort because he would plant something else, like squash or okra.

Anyway, my favorite summertime sandwich then, and now, was a thick slice of beefeater (or, today, heirloom) tomato between two slices of bread with mayonnaise.  The tomato is generously peppered with enough salt to taste.  Yummy!

The best sandwich I ever had "out" was when I was in college.  A group of us would go into Asheville NC to a shopping center that had a placed called "The Rathskeller."  They made a wonderful reuben on rye, and they served it with a kosher dill and a side of German potato salad.  Hands down, that was my favorite sandwich meal ever.  I still try to recapture that magic with a reuben order at various delis.  Some are extremely good.  None, however, have German potato salad sides to offer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:04:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 08:05:07 AM »

Amongst other things.  ;)

Varied and sundried!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »

I, too, enjoyed "Chuck" last night.  Very much.

"Heroes" was a pleasure, although I'm not fond of "severe Claire".  Her future story must be interesting, as well.   Hiro and Ando played well, I thought, and that final scene was a corker!!

"Life" was bright and breezy and a bit saucy and perky, as well.  I love Damian Lewis' character traits.  It's an interestingly "different" approach to police shows and I hope it catches on with a sizable audience.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »

I also caught up on, and cleared out of my DVR cache, last week's "Fringe" and "Supernatural."  I had managed to watch most of each show, but nodded off in my chair at the 45- to 50-minute mark on each.  So, all I invested was half an hour and found each show ultimately satisfying and resolved.

Additionally, last week's opening episode of "Pushing up Daisies" was way quirky and fun, with Kristen Chenoweth getting a lovely bit/homage to "Sound of Music".  The show is so cartoonish -- and macabre -- that I feel grateful NBC has seen fit to start a second season of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »

Additionally, last week's opening episode of "Pushing up Daisies" was way quirky and fun, with Kristen Chenoweth getting a lovely bit/homage to "Sound of Music".  The show is so cartoonish -- and macabre -- that I feel grateful NBC has seen fit to start a second season of it.

Of course, you meant ABC.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »

Favorite eating out sandwich:
Prmanti Bros.' Grilled Reuben - the usual suspects (corned beef, 1000 Island Dressing, Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut) PLUS French Fries and Cole Slaw.  A real mouthful.

Yes!--that's the sandwich I meant.  Except the one I had was with pastrami.

My mouth is watering now...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »

I guess I've surfed the web enough for the moment and am ready to head down and get some serious viewing accomplished for today.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »

Until such time as "Lost" returns to the airwaves, I have to bluntly state that the highlight of my TV viewing week is "TrueBlood" and Sunday is the day I look most forward to. 

Odd, that, since Monday is almost always another work day.  I dreaded Sundays when I was in school, but that was usually because I had all that homework piled up to do before I went to bed.

Now, I simply dread it as the day I probably have to iron some shirts preparatory to dressing for work the next morning.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 08:17:10 AM »

I'll be wearing
Wingdings on my font
This summer...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 08:17:41 AM »

Of course, you meant ABC.

Of course...???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »

BK -

You might consider one of these for your jogs - the cheap version holds only 20 seconds, but you can pay extra for ones with more time.

der Brucer

I got them as stocking stuffers for the Grandlads, and they do work!

Where do you get such a thing - it's perfect for when I'm trying to remember on the jog.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »

I'll be wearing
Wingdings on my font
This summer...

I sincerely hope that isn't a euphemism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up