Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 31016 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've got the notes vibe, you've got the notes on a string, sittin' on a rainbow, and now you're ready to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 12:02:28 AM by bk »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 12:13:46 AM »

Dear BK,

What besides lint are you giving up for Lent?

der Brucer (who always gives up Moderation for Lent)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:55:02 AM »

Looks like Tomovoz missed a good one:

DownUnder's Sun:

Lost pop 'masterpiece' unveiled
By Peter Walker in London
25feb04

….
Backed by an 18-strong group, Wilson - now 61, frail and greying - has taken to the stage of the capital's Royal Festival Hall for a week of shows, playing for the very first time an album billed as the Beach Boys' equivalent of Sergeant Pepper by transatlantic rivals The Beatles.

The performances have left many critics transfixed. "It might be said straight away that it was an evening that validated claims made on behalf of Wilson's genius," gushed The Observer newspaper - and fans ecstatic.
However, two years ago, a now largely recovered Wilson toured the Pet Soundsalbum to great acclaim before working again with his much younger backing group to piece together Smile.

The result, first revealed at the opening concert on Friday, is a lush, dense and often intensely beautiful 45-minute suite of songs, using, alongside the usual guitars and drums, a string and horn section and more exotic instruments ranging from a ukulele to a swanee whistle.

At Sunday's show the sell-out audience - many of a similar age to Wilson - greeted the performance with tearful reverence and repeated standing ovations.

Fans who watched a still-vulnerable Wilson sitting behind the protection of a piano he never played, his voice at times cracked, were fulsome.

"A true genius and it was simply an awesome privilege to be there," wrote one fan, Paul Knox, on Wilson's Internet site.

"This night has confirmed for you what we fans have known all along: that Smile was and is the quintessential pop masterpiece of all time," gushed Jerry Boyd after the first night.

der Brucer (seems like Aussie stringers have all the fun)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:59:17 AM »

Welcome to Brave New World!

Herald Sun

Ethan and Uma to divorce
25 February 2004  

ETHAN Hawke has confirmed his marriage to Uma Thurman is over and they will divorce, reports IMDB.com.

Internet reports - Press repeats!

der Brucer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:30:33 AM »

I'm giving up loaning for lent.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 01:47:27 AM »

And I thought people only read the Herald/Sun for the pictures!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:24:08 AM »

Two questions: (sort of)

You mentioned the other day that Michelle Nicastro's album On My Own has been pulled from distribution because certain rights were not obtained before hand. I thought that if a song has been recorded at least once that permission was not necessary and all you had to do was pay the royalities. So why would Kretzmer object when the composers that it was wonderful? And who's job is it to get these rights to record the song? (Is it the producer or the labels resonpsibility?) Are there different kinds of royalities? (what exactly is a mechanical royality)

Is there a formula to what a order a songs a placed on an album?

i.e.  The first song and the last song are never ballads. (Or can they be)?  i.e.2 Never put X amount songs in a row that are the same kind (uptemo, ballad, waltz)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 03:25:21 AM »

Is the equivialnt of the London Mirror (I think that;s the name) that has naked girls on page 3 (or whatever number it is)?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 04:44:14 AM »

Whew!  Lots of great late night posts!  I love to have something to read in the morning!  ;D

Read thru went very well.  I am a bit nervous about directing a one-woman show....it's just me and....her.  But Megan is very nice and very talented - and the production team seems to be on top of things....so, as Joan Crawford said:  "Time Will Tell."

MR BK - I think you can start a file called MY MUSIC and store your mp3's and other music files there.  Then when you want to burn a CD you use the browse function and click on the files you want to transfer to your CD!  Easy!  And Fast!!  :D

DR PANNI gave us a delicious preview of Kritzer Time and with Mr Richard Valley's contribution we can see that it spans not only time but the sexes!  :P

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week.  She has just given Jack (Attila the Hun) Palance the what-for in the Douglas Sirk Technicolor 3-D epic "Sign of the Pagan".....  And he deserved it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 06:41:23 AM »

I'll post my comments on POTO later, but I thought I'd pose a question for Ask BK Day:

Is film school necessary?  Most of the best films ever made were made by people who never went to film school (to name a very few: Griffith, Hitchcock, Cukor, Wyler, Welles, Minnelli, Wilder) yet today it seems that most aspiring filmmakers seem to think they have to go to film school to learn how to make a movie.  This could be one of the reasons today's films are not as good as the older films, most of which hold up today.  Comments from BK and DRs please.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »

In my limited experience DR WEL - I think a lot of the film students at the different institutions attend in order to make contacts with the industry.

These film schools are serving the purpose that television used to....way back when....  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 06:56:29 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - Mr BK (and DR's) what was the first computer you ever heard of and what did you think about it?  What is the first computer you ever saw, and did you consider its possibilities?  What is the first computer you owned - and what prompted you to buy it?

MBarnum

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 06:56:41 AM »

For BK and DRs: Did you ever have a TV series that you really, really liked but that only lasted a very short time before it was cancelled?

A few that come to mind are:

The Torkelsons: I thought this show was very funny and  very sweet.

Greg The Bunny: This program had me in stitches, and it was quite different!

Pacific Palisades: This was a night time soap that started around the time that Melrose Place was so hot. It starred Lucky Vanous and Greg Evigan and I was really getting into it when it just up and vanished!

There was also a sitcom in the late 80s or early 90s about a Irish Catholic family. The title escapes me but it was hilarious, but didn't last very long.

Ok, your turn!

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 07:09:20 AM »

Here is a question for DR Michael Shayne: I was perusing Ebay this morning and noticed some stills up for bid from a few "Michael Shayne" films...BLONDE FOR A DAY and LARCENY IN HER HEART. I was wondering if you have seen these films and are they any good? From what I can see from the stills the films look entertaining.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 07:50:58 AM »

Great question, DR MBarnum.

Shows that I loved that ran but a short time:

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER

ELLERY QUEEN (with Jim Hutton)

HOT L BALTIMORE

THE BOYS (Christopher Meloni's second sitcom)

SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 07:51:28 AM »

AMERICAN IDOL CHAT.

Good morning all!

As for who I think will make it to the final 3:

Well Latoya is a guarantee.  She was by far the best.  Plus the judges raved about her.  I would be shocked if she didn't go through to the next round.

Amy (girl with pink hair).  I think she has a lot of fans. And I would be surprised if she wasn't in the top 3 from last night. I actually expect her to go through to the next round.

As for the third, I think it's between Leah (with the Bulgarian mom), Eric (Clay look alike), and Jon (pen salesman).  The judges really praised Leah (which always helps).  I thought she had great stage presence and star quality. She just glowed.  I really like Eric, and I think he has a really good voice.  And I think having the judges say his voice is good like Clays can only help him (since the the public loves Clay).  I also REALLY like Jon (pen guy). And he has TONS of fans.  I really think he has a good shot at top 3.

Also, for the wild card selections, it's clear the judges like Leah and Amy. So whichever of them doesn't go through should definitely be in the Wild Card show.  But the judges also liked Eric and Jon. And the Wild Card show is going to be VERY short of guys.  So I think both of these guys have an excellent chance.  I think the judges need to even out the sexes, to make sure there are enough guys in the Final 12.

My predictions are: LaToya gets most votes, followed by Amy and Eric or Jon.

Btw, was anyone else smiling when they announced William Hung (She Bang guy) would be singing live on next Monday's Worst Of show :)

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 07:52:42 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day:

With the upcoming remakes of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE looming, which film from cinema's past do you think the filmmakers just didn't quite get right and deserves a remake?

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 07:55:08 AM »

I guess if Tiny Tim and Mrs. Miller didn't mind getting laughed AT (not with) as they sang, William Hung can handle it, too. But remind me not to watch.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 07:55:44 AM »

Great question, DR MBarnum.

Shows that I loved that ran but a short time:

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER

ELLERY QUEEN (with Jim Hutton)

HOT L BALTIMORE

THE BOYS (Christopher Meloni's second sitcom)

SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS

DR Matt H, I remember HOT L BALTIMORE from when I was a kid! I used to love that show!

You must ask DR Elmoore3003 about his run-ins with Christopher Meloni in New York....yep, he has seen the man in the flesh (so to speak)!

By the way, I will also add the TV show ANGIE to my list of short lived, but very good, TV series!

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »

Imogene Coca had a show in the 1960s about a frantic maid called GRINDL that I also liked a lot, but then I always liked her.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 08:19:51 AM »

I think it's a shame that six people from last night's "Idol" show will have to go home when there are two "lesser" performers from last week going into finals.

I voted for LaToya and Jon Peter.  Simon continues to be an ass for no reason other than he thinks it's expected.  He had to interject "let me finish" six times last night when the audience booed and jeered his comments about a performance.

Being able to hit and hold a high note, as several of the ladies proved they could do, is not the equivalent of being a good singer.  

It was difficult, I thought, to decide on which lady I was going to vote for until Latoya sang.  After that, it wasn't a contest.  It was Latoya and Jon Peter, whose vocal was the most interesting of the night.  Of all the ones who sang, including Latoya, his voice alone resonated for me as one that could really interpret a song meaningfully, with heart and with style.  Latoya has pipes....but I didn't feel passion or a connection...too much bravura -- but more than enough to be the best of the evening.

Fantasia is a more interesting singer, though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:20:53 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 08:21:55 AM »

This cheesecake:

or this one of you:

der always on the look-out Brucer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2004, 08:31:35 AM »

I loved Grindl, too!! What about Imogene's other 60s series, It's About Time (great theme song, eh?--I have the pilot on tape).

Some others:

Occasional Wife (remember Michael Callan and Patricia Hardy--great series, lasted one season)
The Time Tunnel (well, I was a kid, what do you expect--watching those cars disappear into the desert was just too cool back then)
Many Happy Returns (John McGiver at the customer service desk of a department store)
Wendy and Me (George Burns attempting to re-do his Gracie shtick with Connie Stevens.  But our neighbor's daughter's husband was the next door neighbor in the show, whose name I cannot recall right now).
Please Don't Eat the Daisies (I've always loved Pat Crowley--did anyone catch her on Frasier a couple of years ago?)

Here's my TechnoGeek question of the week:

If I get DSL or cable for my internet connection, can I still have a phone line plugged into the computer so that I can use my computer to fax stuff?  If I have DSL, does that use the phone line?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2004, 08:34:34 AM »

Oh, and does anyone remember Phyllis Diller's short-lived sitcom (less than a season--though they revamped it and renamed it and let it run for the rest of the regular season with a different format) The Pruitts of Southhampton?  I loved that show.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2004, 08:45:12 AM »

Good morning. (This bookends my "good night" from last night.) Still thinking about KRITZER TIME. The book really stays with you. I should say the people really stay with you. It's like meeting - or re-meeting in some cases - a group of wildly interesting and sweet friends. Sad to say good-bye to them when you come to the last page.

As for the film school question.... Most of the great film-makers of yesteryear (I sound like Lowell Thomas, don't I?) worked their way up, learning all aspects of the craft along the way. I suppose there are certain technical aspects of film-making that one could pick up in film school. But I do think that stuff could be covered in a relatively short time. Certainly the "craft" of screenwriting is no mystery. I could teach you in a few days how to write a professional-looking screenplay. What you write in that screenplay is a whole other thing. And I don't believe you can be taught that.
In the old days a beginner could learn on the job. But there is way too much at stake now (money, that is) for that to be possible. Most young film-makers today are making or writing films about films, rather than about life. A superficial knowledge of films you can pick up in film school. To get a knowledge of life you need to live in the real world.
That's not the most elegantly written paragraph (perhaps I should go to elegant paragraph school)--  but it will have to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2004, 08:46:53 AM »

der Brucer: I'll be giving up lint and lox for Lent.

Michael Shayne: I explained why Mr. Kretzmer did what he did - he's crotchety and got annoyed.  You CAN record any song that's been recorded before, but you must apply for the mechanical royalty within a certain period of time after the release of the CD.  If you don't, then the rights holders get their rights back and can prevent you from using the song.  Mechanical royalties go to the writers and publishers of the song - it's approximately six cents per song, though most publishers will grant a seventy-five percent rate - about four-and-a-half cents per song.  It is certainly not the responsibility of the producer to do the mechanical licenses, it is the responsibility of the label.  At Varese, there was one person who did it and he wasn't always on top of the game.  Shows are different - that mechanical license is usually a much lower figure because there are many more tracks.  It's put in the contract for the recording.  It's a locked figure and most show's creators grant the lower rate because of the cost of cast albums.

As to sequencing a CD: There are no rules.  I have my own way of doing them - as I've said, it's something I figured out on the very first album and it's never ever failed me.  I've started out with a ballad on a couple of occasions, if I felt that would set the right tone for the album.  Laurie Beechman's ALW album starts out with As If I Never Said Goodbye, and I think Emily Skinner's starts with Lazy Afternoon, if I remember correctly.  I do like to start with an uptempo, though, but if there isn't one that fits the bill, then you've got to go a different way.  I try not to put songs that are similar together, and I try to make an order that's surprising and fun.  If you get it wrong, you'd be surprised how people, without knowing it, resist the CD - rarely replaying it.

TV series I liked but which lasted only a short time: Panic, from the late 50s.

First owned computer - I think it was 1995 or 96 - Varese got me a really cheap Compaq Presario, after trying to give me a Mac from five years earlier that I could not deal with.  In those days, everything was impossibly slow and I hated it.  But, way back in 1989 I wrote a script for someone using a computer in an office - there were no programs really, so they had to create this whole series of complex macros for script form and it was so tedious.

JMK

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2004, 08:47:39 AM »

I agree with the comments about Film School being a networking opportunity.  My brother-in-law graduated from the USC Film School, and is a successful film editor, but I think even he would tell you the major value of his school days were the connections he made.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2004, 08:49:34 AM »

I think Man of La Mancha is grotesque and could use a fresh version.  I've never really liked the film of Fiddler, so I wouldn't mind a new one but there's just no one who knows how to direct these things.  Certainly we DON'T need a new Manchurian Candidate.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2004, 08:51:07 AM »

Well said DRPANNI...enough films about films!!!

I enjoyed GRINDL, but I hated that it replaced CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU?  There's a holdup in the Bronx, Brooklyn's broken out in fights, there's a traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights (that's where Patty & Kathy live)....there's a Scout Troup short a child...Kruschev's due at Idlewild....hehehehehehe

In addition to some already mentioned, I will add the one season wonder - that had to misfortune to premiere and run opposite HAZEL....MARGIE with Cynthia Pepper and Dave Willock!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:52:00 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 08:57:25 AM »

Oh, I just loved OCCASIONAL WIFE. Very bright and witty sitcom. So was HE AND SHE with Paula Prentiss, Richard Benjamin, and Jack Cassidy.

Yes, I remember IT'S ABOUT TIME which debuted at #7 and began losing audience after the second week. By midseason, they brought the cave people back to modern AMerica thinking that might juice up ratings, but it didn't, and I didn't like it nearly as much after the first 13 episodes.

Yep, loved TIME TUNNEL and PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES (also THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR), though these three did get two year runs, I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up