Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 32131 times)

Ben

Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2004, 10:56:38 AM »

Without going into great detail or tutorials, you don't need two drives to burn a CD. If you have the CD burner, it also reads and plays audio CDs. You put the music CD in the drive, copy the tracks to your hard drive and then switch discs, putting the blank CD in your burner, open the burning software and copy/burn the tracks you have saved on your hard drive to the CD, making sure that when you are done burning, if you don't want to add any more tracks to the CD, you "close" or "finalize" the disc so it will play in other  CD players or computers or other audio players.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2004, 10:59:32 AM »

Jose: First off, one of my favorite guest shots I ever did was on Angie.  

A spot apparently not credited:

From The Gospel According to TV Tome:

Guest Starring Roles
Laverne and Shirley - Man - You Oughta Be in Pictures (1980)
Laverne and Shirley - Director - T.P. - You Oughta Be in Pictures (1980)
Laverne and Shirley - - Take Two, They're Small (1979)
Alice - Vinnie - The Sixty Minutes Man (1977)
Laverne and Shirley - Scott - Good Time Girls (1976)
Tabitha - Adam - Tabitha (1976)
Happy Days - Mark - The Howdy Doody Show (1975)
Lucas Tanner - - September 11, 1974 (1974)
Happy Days - Murf - Give the Band a Hand (1974)
The Partridge Family - Howard Krump - The Last Howard (1973)
The Partridge Family - Richard Whipple - Me and My Shadow (1973)
M*A*S*H - Pt. Gilbert - Cease-Fire (1973)
The Partridge Family - Richard - You're Only Young Twice (1972)
The Partridge Family - Marvin - The Partridge Papers (1972)
The Partridge Family - Freddy - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Partridge (1971)
The Doris Day Show - David - Young Love (1971)
The Young Lawyers -

der Brucer (have you got a pay stub as proof ;))
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »

RLP...I almost always agree with Simon.  I think he is usually dead on the mark with his criticism.  They are insightful, actually come from a no-mincing-of-words professional standard, and actually mean something more than Randy's "That was interesting, dog."  or Paula's polite cheerleading boosts.   But I've noticed both Paula and Randy seem to be getting more honestly open this year as opposed to hedging their criticisms.  

CP -- I hear ya.  I find myself landing on his side more often than not.  But last night, he seemed too contrived...as if he were anticipating the expectations and trying to live up to them.  I disagreed with Randy and Paula on a couple of performances, but Simon needs a comeuppance every now and again.  His comments about the one guy sounding like Clay Aiken (he wishes) but not having the personality.   This is from the guy who told Clay that he was imagining Clay had a bag over his head and that the song was great.  He told Clay that he was UGLY and not "American Idol" material.

Clay is bigger now than any "American Idol" winner OR judge has ever been.  Clay could buy and sell Simon Cowell.  So Simon doesn't really speak for what audiences like, IMO, or are willing to buy.  

But he's entertaining.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2004, 11:02:53 AM »

Homefront last about 2 years I think, but I wish it would have lasted longer! Great cast in that show which now reruns on Goodlife network.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2004, 11:12:42 AM »

I'm sorry I mixed up the comment on Raoul's dancing.  So many people replied to my initial posting on Sunday that I got them mixed up.

Jose - The main floor looked fairly full (I didn't see how full it was upstairs), but I would estimate that from the way they were dressed, the fact that before the show and during intermission cameras flashed like crazy and the amount of people who left (presumably to go the the bathroom) and came back that it was mostly tourists.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2004, 11:13:20 AM »

The musical series with Bobby Morse was That's Life!.

And re:  He and She.  Another fave of mine (and another one I have on tape--several episodes, including the pilot) with a great theme.  But you are forgetting one great cast member:  Kenneth Mars, who may or may not be the father of someone with whom I regularly work.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2004, 11:13:52 AM »

For BK and DRs: Did you ever have a TV series that you really, really liked but that only lasted a very short time before it was cancelled?

I MARRIED DORA with Elizabeth Pena, Juliette Lewis and Daniel Hugh-Kelly.  The last episode where the show was cancelled was hysterical and probably the best of any show that has ever been cancelled.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2004, 11:15:46 AM »

ELLERY QUEEN (with Jim Hutton)

HOT L BALTIMORE

How could I forget ELLERY QUEEEN-great show!

I remember I enjoyed HOT L BALTIMORE very much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2004, 11:19:32 AM »

Oh yes....DR MBARNUM....Homefront!

Yes, MR BK, amazingly as DR BEN says, you can copy from CD to CD with only one drive....and it is as easy as it sounds.  I think my program is called Record Me - and it guides you through step by step!  

It is my job, DR TCB.

Rant in next post can be skipped.  

RANT WARNING RANT WARNING RANT WARNING!!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »

The Type A poster here at HHW from time to time has to be E&T.  Said poster usually returns after a time and says....I was busy doing this or that....or lets us know in advance....I will be gone for this amount of time because this is going on in my life.  And it's great news to know.

The Type B poster here at HHW - rushes in breathless after being gone for awhile and tells us how BIZZY BIZZY BIZZY he is and that there is just so much going on and so many demands upon his time - that well - there was no way he could be here....and then fills us in on the minutiae of his life....

In doing so, Type B Poster is of course saying the rest of us are NOT as bizzy and in fact spend all of our time on our computers at HHW - and of course presumes that we have an interest in the said minutiae.

IN FACT, TYPE B POSTER, we ourselves have very busy lives....have much to do....but we MAKE time for HHW because we enjoy being part of the community.  But don't imagine for a moment that your life is any busier than ours......in fact I think you would be hard pressed to accomplish as much as many Type A posters do in one day.

End of rant.

JMK

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2004, 11:29:35 AM »

Who ya callin' a Type B poster, JR?   :P  I am a Type O negative poster, and that's all there is to it!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2004, 11:32:31 AM »

Re:  Alfred Hitchock.  Here's a little trivia I stumbled across in my newspaper research the other day--a Lolly Parsons (or somesuch) article about the "upcoming" film "National Velvet" says it is going to star Pat Hitchcock (!), Alfred's daughter.

JMK

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2004, 11:36:32 AM »

And Re:  Brian Wilson's "Smile."  I find all this hoohah about it never having been released kind of strange, because they did in fact release all of the existing tracks a few years ago in the Beach Boys Good Vibrations boxed set, which I have, and later on an import with the original versions and the revised versions which made it onto (????) Pet Sounds (that could be wrong--but some of the songs made it onto one album).

Jane

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2004, 11:42:04 AM »

Jed have you ever gone to Moose Days?  We almost went last year.

JoseSPiano volunteering for Lent is a beautiful idea.

Matt H, HE AND SHE was another excellent show which was cancelled too soon.

Keith purchased our first computer in 1981 and I hated it.  By 1983 the boys had their own computer, a children’s Texas Instrument, which I loved.

Kerry-LOL, no ROTFLOL

Ben THAT’S LIFE was a fun interesting show.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2004, 11:42:42 AM »

There was a summer show on CBS in the mid-to-late 60s about a guy with amnesia.  As the stories progress, he begins discovering skills he didn't know he had, like speaking Japanese and other languages.  Even with these revelations, he doesn't remember "how" he learned them and why.  It was a very good show and drew high ratings, but it was not picked up for the fall.  I can see the actor, but cannot for the life of me recall his name or the title of the show.

Maybe this:

Coronet Blue

From Plautus Productions (The Defenders).

For some reason someone has tried to kill a man, who is rescued from the East River with no memory at all save two words: Coronet Blue. Their meaning is unknown to him, and he still is pursued by his unidentified attackers, but a monk and a restaurant owner befriend him under his nom de guerre, "Michael Alden."

First Aired   May 1967
Last Aired   September 1967
Status   Canceled/Ended
Running Time   60 min
Country   United States
Network   CBS

Brian Bedford - Brother Anthony
Frank Converse - Michael Alden
Joe Silver - Max Spier

der Brucer (had to find an amnesia website to uncover this one)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2004, 11:44:58 AM »

Frank Converse later did NYPD (not NYPD Blue).  He looks a lot like Michael Parks, who later did the motorcycle version of Route 66, Then Came Bronson.  My sister had a huge crush on Converse and we used to watch Coronet Blue every week.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 11:49:48 AM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »

And here's another one from the memory vault:

Anyone remember Run, Buddy, Run, starring trumpeter Jack Sheldon as a shlub who overhears some Mafia bigwigs plotting a hit?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »

Michael Shayne.  The Sun is the British Tabloid with the page 3 girls. You can read it online.  I also like the Dear Deidre advice column with the saucey comic strip version of a letter, with real people posing in the panels.

I didn't go to film school and I think much of what is learned there is simply the wrong stuff.  They learn all about the composition of photography but little about the composition of drama.   I found my theatre training more valuable.  

I agree with Panni, they make films about films...which is where their whole life experience comes from...It's all derivative and empty. She's right when she says you can teach mechanics, but you can't teach talent.

And that's where most of these people fall down.  You have all these people who want to make filmakers, but they have absolutely nothing to say.  They have no voice, no passion.  

They just want to be in a glamourous business that they think is easy money and dine at the posh restaurants, hang out with the beautiful people, and go up to Hef's on the weekend.  They don't really have any passion for the work; just a passion for the lifestyle.

True story.  A few years back, I got suckered into teaching the first screenwriting course at LA FILM SCHOOL because the producer whose baby the school is, Thom Mount, appealed to my most vulnerable spot, my vanity.

I should have known from the get-go; they're putting cameras in the hands of these people without a screenwriting course.  Or putting cameras in their hands before they know what to do with them...i.e. tell a story.

I had from various times 12-15 students. One, possibly two, had any real talent and a chance of succeeding.  They were all supposedly college educated.  They were also absolutely undisciplined, unfocused, and ill-equipped.  You have to know how to compose a simple sentence before you can compose a screenplay.  

Even simple things like format and presentation baffled them...I'd get scripts with drawings all over them, typos, mispellings. People wouldn't turn in their stuff in a timely fashion or present copies to their clasmates which made class discussion problematic and, as much of the class was my critiquing their work, I was thwarted.  

I had one kid who,  when I tore apart his incomprehensible script apart, proudly stated, " What do you want? I wrote when I was drunk overnight."  "It looks like it," I said. "And I want it better.  Some semblance of professionalism attached to it.   I don't cotton to that tortured, drunken artist shit. "  

He also had spelt "through" as "threw" consistently in his script. When I asked him to spell it in class when he was sober, he spelt it the exact same way.  You can't write, if you don't read.  And if you read, you can't go more than a page or two in almost anything without encountering that preposition.  So, if nothing else, you should know how to spell that word by osmosis...just plain, simple, daily usage.

Their ignorance of film history was astonishing.  The first part of my class, I always brought in about five videos of classic (usual black & white) movies and showed clips from them...usually around a certain theme...great openings, dialogue, etc.

I will say that when they were exposed to some of this stuff, they were sort of mesmerized by it and also took my Simon Colwell no-nonsense, often brutal critiques  very well.  I was told by the administation and some of my students that I was damned-near revered and they loved my class.  Some invited me back for screenings of their movies. The Administration wanted me to stay on. I was inexplicably popular with the students.

But I really had no patience for teaching.   And I think what is endemic in film schools is probably also rife in the regular Halls of education as well.  I get down and praise God every day for my good old American public school education.  Instead of spending all this money on voucher programs, it should be poured back into the public school system, so that kids today can get the quality education I got there. But I can see why good school teachers flee the system.  I think most of it is not the school's fault, but the the parents' fault.

My Hallmark executive  and I were trading horror stories today about the decline of cultural knowledge.  She had mentioned Edith Piaf to some colleagues who didn't have a clue.  

A few years ago, I was working on a Viking script and the producer and I were doing notes with his three development girls, all college-educated, I called them his Muses.

I had written a couple of lines:  "I think you're an impudent lover."  "I am an imprudent one."  The producer looked at his Muses:  "Do you know what impudent means?" They shook their heads no. "Do you know what imprudent means" They shook their heads no.  So not only did they not get the play on words, they didn't get the words!  Impudent, imprudent.  I probably knew these words when I was ten.  I probably learned them from the movies.  Hell, earlier than that, how many times does your mother wag a finger at you and tell you, "don't be impudent, young man/young lady."  I was dumbstruck.  There was a mention of Charlemagne in the script.  Producer asks the Muses:  "Do you know who Charlemagne is?"  The Muses shake their head no.  I go: "Oh, come on, you surely encountered Charlemagne around eighth grade in Bullfinch's Mythology, if not World History.  The answer came back from the Muses in unison:  "What's Bullfinch's Mythology?"  We had a long protracted conversation whether we could use the word "cur" or not.  I said:  "How can you do a Viking movie without someone being called "a cur"?

But the neglible thing about this was that instead of the producer using these girls' ignorance as an excuse to dumb down the script, he should have turned to them and said:  Well, if you didn't know these words or these names, why didn't you look them up?  I'm paying you to come in here and intelligently discuss a script!  How can you do that if you do not have a complete understanding of what you're reading?"  And it goes on, as Panni will tell you, all over town every day.  What I call the Arrogance of Ignorance.  "I don't know and why should I have to?" Pride in their stupidity and illiteracy, yet they are judging and nurturing literary work.  When I started out it wasn't always this bad.  There were still a few people who could actually read.

I've often wanted to teach a liberal arts course called, "Stuff You Should Know"...and it be nothing but exposing people to a selective personal overview of cultural touchstones...movies, music, TV, books, comic books, art, poems, historical figures, historical events, dates of things...things that should be in their grab-bag of knowledge and cultural lexicon...

We often play a game at my house where you throw out name like Ponce Deleon or a date like 1492 and just shout out as many different things as you can think of connected to it.  Who is most vocal depends on what generation they come from.  

As I say, I prize my old public school education of three "R's".  End of Rant.  Apres moi, le deluge...

JMK

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2004, 11:53:54 AM »

Why am I thinking of the song "Talking to Yourself"?

Anyhoo--how about the shortest-lived of all tv shows, the Laugh-In knock-off Turn On, which aired once (and not even once in several major markets, including Seattle where we lived at the time) and then was pulled.  As I recall, the controversy was over the word "Sex" scrolling over the screen during a bit with Tim Conway.

Did anyone ever see this legendary (not) production?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2004, 11:57:22 AM »

I spent last evening with Miss Dolores DeLago, Dear Readers.  And with the Harlettes and Sophie and, of course, the Divine Miss M. herself.

Miss Bette Midler brought her national tour to L.A.'s Staples Center last night, and I had a blast.  The woman packs her show with so much great stuff:  big production numbers (i.e., Miss DeLago et. al. go to Broadway), topical political humor, wistful tributes (to Miss Rosemary Clooney and Mr. Fred Rogers), baudy jokes, Judge Judy on Miss M.'s disastrous attempt at episodic situation comedy, energetic upbeat musical numbers, touching ballads, and inspirational anthems.  Everything, it seems, but the kitchen sink.

Miss Midler attracts a very diverse audience, too, which I always enjoy seeing at a live theatrical/musical event.  One audience member was Mr. Modulation himself, Barry Manilow.  Miss Midler introduced him from the stage and they shined a big spotlight on him as he stood and took a bow.  I guess they're talking again.  Miss Chastity Bono was seated a few rows in front of me.  Miss Midler did not acknowledge her, but did make a crack at one point in the show about her Mom.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2004, 11:58:07 AM »

RLP...Simon gets his come-uppence more than anyway else and more undesrvedly than anyone else on that show...Ryan, the contestants, and the other judges are always digging into him.  What I love about Simon is that none of it phases him and he gives as good as he gets.

As for Clay being able to buy and sell Simon.  Clay been at this a year.  Simon has been a record producer for years...and a very rich and successful one.  He also has multi-million dollar TV contracts with Fox.  Clay may be more popular than Simon, but richer? I doubt it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

As soon as it was mentioned, I thought it had BLUE in the title, but that was as far as I got....I just got soooooo busy I couldn't post....and then I had to get a Diet Pepsi and then I got an email and well you know how it is.........

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2004, 12:01:23 PM »

TV show that I enjoyed but it may have only had a few seasons (never know here as OZ TV may or may not buy the rights) was "Kate & Ellie".
BK: I would still buy another burner CD drive. Even in Oz they are VERY inexpensive and it makes copying from CD to CD very quick.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »

DR Charles Pogue:  your teaching experience mirrors mine completely.  I found it incomprehensible when teaching Vocal Jazz at a local college around here for a few years that my students routinely:  a) could not read music; b) had absolutely no inkling of jazz history beyond, say, Kenny G and Diana Krall; and c) somehow expected to land multi-million dollar recording contracts (and anyone who knows jazz labels should be laughing themselves silly by now) when they could not sing close harmony if their lives depended on it.  The get-rich-quick, don't-worry-about-the-basics mindset of some of today's youth is rather disheartening.

JMK

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2004, 12:04:21 PM »

I had to get a Diet Pepsi

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The horror!!  The horror!!  [/move] Diet Coke is the official drink of HHW, JR!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2004, 12:04:38 PM »

DR JMK you are a Type F poster....you Franatic, you!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2004, 12:12:03 PM »

Any fans out there of the short-lived Max Headroom?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2004, 12:13:57 PM »

I wasn't a big fan of MAX HEADROOM but I do remember it. I did like the show that the star of MH was in later where he played a doctor and had a gay brother played by Tony Carierro (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Was it called Doctor, Doctor?

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2004, 12:21:56 PM »

Any fans out there of the short-lived Max Headroom?

Oh, yes.  ;D A funny, weird show.

Laura II

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »

I remember The Torkelsons!

A few days ago, BK asked about the ebonics translator. This is the one my brother used: http://www.asksnoop.com/

Welcome DR Jenny!

Happy belated birthday, Matthew!

Thanks for the congrats, Jennifer. :) I'm filling in as the voice teacher until another qualified teacher is hired. The old voice teacher and the boss just didn't see eye to eye.

American Idol: Latoya was great, and I think Jon Peter is a cutie!

Speaking of cuties, I think Nick from The Apprentice is just adorable!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up