Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 30985 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2004, 08:59:52 AM »

OMG What I remember most about PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES is the time Pat was getting all of the kids in the convertible to get them to school and she was asking about lunches and called one of the kids by his real name "Brian" instead of his character's name LOL.

I love Patricia Crowley in FOREVER FEMALE & RED GARTERS!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 09:00:41 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »

My first computer was an Atari 800XL which I got in 1985. I bought it to do word processing, and it was just fine for that. As I became more proficient with it, I began to branch out and discover modems (and make a host of friends all over the country through cyberspace).

Amazing to think how much of my life is now spent in front of a computer, but I honestly don't know how I could get along without it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2004, 09:09:46 AM »

Oh, and does anyone remember Phyllis Diller's short-lived sitcom (less than a season--though they revamped it and renamed it and let it run for the rest of the regular season with a different format) The Pruitts of Southhampton?  I loved that show.

I remember it.  We were big Diller fans at our house, so we watched it.  Remember the catchy theme song?:

"Howcha do?
Howcha do?
Howcha do, my dear?
What a lovely surprise,
nice to see you here..."

Gypsy Rose Lee was a semi-regular [attach punch line here].
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 09:48:23 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2004, 09:20:25 AM »

Thought I'd share something.
I'll be back later:

The year is 2012 and the United States of America has recently
 elected the first woman as well as the first Jewish president, Susan
 Goldfarb.
         She calls up her mother a few weeks after Election Day and says,"So,
 Mom, I assume you will be coming to my inauguration?"
         "I don't think so.  It's a ten hour drive, your father isn't as
 young as he used to be, and my gout is acting up again."
         "Don't worry about it Mom, I'll send Air Force One to pick you up
 and take you home.  And a limousine will pick you up at your door."
         "I don't know.  Everybody will be so fancy-schmantzy, what on earth
 would I wear?"
         "Oh Mom" replies Susan, "I'll make sure you have a wonderful gown
 custom-made by the best designer in New York."
         "Honey," Mom complains, "you know I can't eat those rich foods you
 and your friends like to eat"
         The President-to-be responds, "Don't worry Mom.  The entire affair
 is going to be handled by the best caterer in New York, kosher all the way.
 Mom, I really want you to come."
      So Mom reluctantly agrees and on January 21, 2013, Susan Goldfarb is
 being sworn in as President of the United States of America.  In the front
 row sits the new president's mother, who leans over to a senator sitting
 next to her.
      "You see that woman over there with her hand on the Bible, becoming
 President of the United States?"
      The Senator whispers back, "Yes I do."
      Says Mom proudly, "Her brother's a doctor."

I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2004, 09:24:20 AM »

The Torkelsons: I thought this show was very funny and  very sweet.

Greg The Bunny: This program had me in stitches, and it was quite different!

There was also a sitcom in the late 80s or early 90s about a Irish Catholic family. The title escapes me but it was hilarious, but didn't last very long.

A. The Torkelsons: gave Willaim Schallert is best shot since being Patty Dukes Dad.

B. Greg The Bunny: I expect Eugen Levy's "I write with Christopher Guest" humor left some people cold.
TVTome has an interesting observation:

"What do you get when you combine some of the best writers/producers/puppeteers in the business with some of the best critical reviews of the season? A broken 11-episode run, that's what. Greg the Bunny could have not just been a long-running hit for FOX, but a major marketing success, as well. Instead, it had the misfortune to premiere during a "transitional year" (meaning the year when everything gets cancelled) and to embarrass the network's vindictive entertainment president when it bombed at the upfronts after she introduced poorly-selected clips of it. (And it made fun of network executives, which pretty much guarantees cancellation to begin with.) To punish the series for daring to humiliate the network, Greg the Bunny was given an immature promotional campaign that ensured it would never find its intended audience and a lead-in whose viewers were guaranteed to not want to watch it, and repeated schedule changes that saw to it that no one could ever find it. Despite all that, Greg still knocked 'em dead in the 12-17 and 18-24 demos -- the ones the promotional campaign seemed to be geared to -- ranking as one of the top 10 shows of the 2001-2002 season among teens."

C. Is the show your thinking of LENNY?

This short-lived comedy centred on Lenny Callahan, a blue-collar worker in Boston who moonlighted as a hotel doorperson to make ends meet.

First Aired   September 1990
Last Aired   March 1991
Status   Canceled/Ended
Running Time   30 min
Country   United States
Network   CBS

Cast:
Lenny Clarke - Lenny Callahan
Peter Dobson - Eddie Callahan
Alice Drummond - Mary Callahan

Paul Junger Witt - Executive Producer

der Brucer

PS Dan Milano, the chap behind "Greg" has a new project in work:

Me and My Monster :

Plot Outline: A young boy has a friendship with a bizarre creature that changes the course of his life as he becomes an adult.

Might be a fun interview
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2004, 09:34:39 AM »

is Michael Jackson going to co-star in that one?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »

Good Morning!

-Well, it's still morning for some of you...

Looks like a beautiful day outside.  Feels like a beautiful day outside!  It may be on the cool side - mid-40s - but the sky is blue and clear, and the sun is shining bright.  A good afternoon for a run! :)

Short-lived series: The aforementioned "A Year In the Life"... And since they've been mentioned, "Please Don't Eat the Daisies," and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".  I believe one of the stations when we lived in Connecticut would broadcast them in the afternoons.  -I'm sure I didn't see them in their original run. ;)

And I liked "Angie" too, but that ran for at least two season didn't it?

I'd list some more recent ones, but since I usually am only able to catch Prime Time TV during the summer re-runs, I tend to miss out on some of those critically acclaimed series that never seemed to find an audience.  *Of course, that just means I've had a pretty good run of gigs, so, that's not a bad trade off.

First computer - Some BIG Tandy thing from Radio Shack - the type with the two 5 1/4 disk drives.  Also a Commodore 64.  *I should note that some keyboard programming is actually still done with Atari models - their "bulkiness" makes them very sturdy and orchestra pit friendly.

Film schools - I think the thing to keep in mind here is that film schools are a relatively new thing.  I don't believe film schools existed during the time of Hitchcock, Minelli, Capra, Griffith, Welles, etc.  The set was their school.  I also believe it was a bit easier to break into the biz at that time - well at least onto the set.  It was easier for people to actually observe people at work.  Today with the unions, closed sets, studio security... unless you have a legitimate "in", one simply can't walk onto a set and "marvel and wonder and learn".

*I don't know where those "quotes" came from.  I just like using them.  As "you" can tell from my posts. ;)

Question for BK: -And this may have been asked before too...
Have you ever been on a cruise?  If so, where to? How long? Good food?  Good entertainment?  If not, would you like to go on a cruise and to where?
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2004, 09:44:23 AM »

Wendy and Me (George Burns attempting to re-do his Gracie shtick with Connie Stevens.  But our neighbor's daughter's husband was the next door neighbor in the show, whose name I cannot recall right now).

Here's the cast list for Wendy and Me:

George Burns - Himself
James Callahan - Danny Adams
Ron Harper - Jeff Conway
J. Pat O'Malley - Mr. Bundy
Bartlett Robinson - Willard Norton
Connie Stevens - Wendy Conway

der Brucer (ah, but who was the neighbor?)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2004, 09:58:23 AM »

Jose: First off, one of my favorite guest shots I ever did was on Angie.  Yes, I've been on a cruise once - back in 1974 for my final episode of The Partridge Family.  I got to cruise in first class.  We had a choice between flying to Acapulco for the actual shoot date, or cruising to Acapulco for a week prior to the shoot date.  I chose the cruise, as did another actor, Ruth Gillette (who is in 70 Girls 70 on Broadway).  We went to Puerto Vallerta and Mazatlan, then landed in Acapulco where the rest of the company joined us.  Then we shot the show on the way back home.  The food was amazing, and I had to be very careful not to overdo it or I wouldn't have fit into my wardrobe for the show.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2004, 09:59:04 AM »

As promised...

Last night, I finally saw PHANTOM OF THE OPERA after procrastinating for sixteen years.  On the positive side:

* I had forgotten what a beautiful and comfortable theatre the Majestic is.  It has much more lobby space than any of the older theatres and adequate bathroom facilities.

* A 7:00 Tuesday curtain is a great idea since it leaves less time to kill after work and I can get home an hour earlier than with an 8:00 curtain.

* It's better than CATS.

Actually, I was aware of the show's biggest problem from the CD.  It's score contains three breathtakingly beautiful songs ("Music of the Night", "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" and especially "All I Ask of You") and an interesting title song.  The rest of it is endless recitatives and needless reprises and semi-reprises.  It's very hard to listen to.  Of course this is standard ALW.  CATS --- probably the worst musical I have ever seen --- contains "Memory" and a couple of the SUNSET BOULEVARD songs stand out in an otherwise terrible score.  He should be writing individual songs, not scores to musicals, but there is not much of a demand for that today.

At least the good songs were beautifully sung. Although Hugh Panaro has a great voice, thanks to the miking he sounded like he was singing in an echo chamber.  Sandra Joseph as Christine provided the show's highlights in her solos and her duets with John Cudia.  They were both miked too, but not as obviously and it wasn't distorted..  The chorus was also quite good, giving the material a much better performance than it deserved.  Meanwhile, the orchestra sounded at least partially pre-recorded despite the fact that there were musicians in the pit and a conductor.

As for the plot, it's been a while since I've seen either movie version and I never read the book, but it held my interest more than the score (and unlike LES MIZ it didn't need a synopsis in the Playbill® to be understood)

And then we have the special effects... the whole purpose for this show.  Let me first say that perhaps Row D is too close to get the desired effect.  Perhaps if I were further back  they may have looked better.

The chandelier crash would have been much more effective if they hadn't shown it going up at the beginning of the show.  The Phantom's entrance from behind the mirror in Christine's dressing room would have been better if the conductor wasn't reflected in it.  The descent to the lake reminded me of people on a ship's gangplank (the Titanic perhaps?).  And while I knew that they had dummies mixed with real people on the staircase for the opening of Act II, I had no idea they would be so easy to spot.  The one effective special effect was at the end of the show when the Phantom disappears.

Although I give the show credit for never releasing a photo of the Phantom without his mask.,  it looked so tacky on stage I can imagine how it would have photographed.

Audience reaction was not what I expected.  Although there was some applause after certain scenes or songs, there were a lot of times when I would have expected applause and there was none.  Even only about a third of the audience stood at the end.

Was it any good?  Not really.  Did it at least hold my interest?  Most of the time.  I think what has me more upset than anything is the fact that this show has been running for over sixteen years while far better shows have come and gone that could not make sixteen months or even sixteen weeks.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2004, 10:08:11 AM »

Okay... that was my views on POTO.  Jose you were right about Raoul not being able to dance.  I also forgot to mention that the character of Madame Giry reminded me of Malificent in Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY.  I'm sorry I didn't see the actress who originated the role in this production, Leila Martin.  She played Momar (Pia Zadora's mother) in "Santa Claus Conquers the Martains".

To answer a couple of DR questions.

The first computer I ever saw was the IBM on $64,000 Question; the first I owned was the Timex Sinclaire.  To put it kindly, Timex makes great watches.

Every season, the new television series I like best are the first to get cancelled.  This year it was BROTHERHOOD OF POLAND, NEW HAMPSHIRE.  Last year it was PERDIDIO MED.  Before that it was GIDEON'S CROSSING, MAXIMUM BOB, RELATIVITY etc.  If a network wants to test a show, they should show it to me.  If I like it, they should not schedule it because there's a good chance it won't last.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2004, 10:15:51 AM »

DR WEL - Hmmm, I don't think it was me commenting on the non-dancing Raoul's.

How full was the house?  It was actually quite encouraging going over the grosses for the past few weeks - it seems that the spring attendance "creep" has already started.  Heck, I was surprised to see that the revival of Fiddler was at 91%!  And at the Minskoff too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »

OH! And guess what I got in the mail yesterday?

Guess?? Huh?  Any guesses?

Well, I received my share of the settlement from the CD MAP Antitrust Lititgation!  All $13.86 of it!  -Actually, that's enough to buy one CD on sale... two budget-priced ones even!  Did anyone else sign up for this last year?  -Was it last year? Or was it two years ago at this point?  Hmmm...

I love how it's addressed on the inside:  Dear Virginia Music Purchaser.  And it's "signed" by none other than the Attorney General of Virginia.

I know I shouldn't really be making fun of this, but...  The last time I checked, the prices on CD went up another dollar, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2004, 10:23:44 AM »

Is film school necessary?  Most of the best films ever made were made by people who never went to film school (to name a very few: Griffith, Hitchcock, Cukor, Wyler, Welles, Minnelli, Wilder) yet today it seems that most aspiring filmmakers seem to think they have to go to film school to learn how to make a movie.  This could be one of the reasons today's films are not as good as the older films, most of which hold up today.  Comments from BK and DRs please.

Since you asked:

Last year the LA Times magazine had a blistering cover story:

Lights, Camera, Action. Marxism, Semiotics, Narratology.

Film school isn't what it used to be, one father discovers.

By David Weddle
Special to The Times

July 13, 2003

(excerpts)

"How did you do on your final exam?" I asked my daughter.

Her shoulders slumped. "I got a C."

Alexis was a film studies major completing her last undergraduate year at UC Santa Barbara. I had paid more than $73,000 for her college education, and the most she could muster on her film theory class final was a C?

"It's not my fault," she protested. "You should have seen the questions. I couldn't understand them, and nobody else in the class could either. All of the kids around me got Cs and Ds."

She insisted that she had studied hard, then offered: "Here, read the test yourself and tell me if it makes any sense."

I took it from her, confidently. After all, I had graduated 25 years ago from USC with a bachelor's degree in cinema. I'd written a biography of movie director Sam Peckinpah, articles for Variety, Film Comment, Sight & Sound, and written and produced episodic television.

On the exam, I found the following, from an essay by film theorist Kristin Thompson:

"Neoformalism posits that viewers are active—that they perform operations. Contrary to psychoanalytic criticism, I assume that film viewing is composed mostly of nonconscious, preconscious, and conscious activities. Indeed, we may define the viewer as a hypothetical entity who responds actively to cues within the film on the basis of automatic perceptual processes and on the basis of experience. Since historical contexts make the protocols of these responses inter-subjective, we may analyze films without resorting to subjectivity . . . According to Bordwell, 'The organism constructs a perceptual judgment on the basis of nonconscious inferences.' "

Then came the question itself:

"What kind of pressure would Metz's description of 'the imaginary signifier' or Baudry's account of the subject in the apparatus put on the ontology and epistemology of film implicit in the above two statements?"

I looked up at my daughter. She smiled triumphantly. "Welcome to film theory," she chirped.

Alexis then plopped down two thick study guides. One was for the theory class, the other for her course in advanced film analysis. "Tell me where I went wrong," she said.

The prose was denser than a Kevlar flak jacket, full of such words as "diegetic," "heterogeneity," "narratology," "narrativity," "symptomology," "scopophilia," "signifier," "syntagmatic," "synecdoche," "temporality." I picked out two of them—"fabula" and "syuzhet"—and asked Alexis if she knew what they meant. "They're the Russian Formalist terms for 'story' and 'plot,' " she replied.

"Well then, why don't they use 'story' and 'plot?' "

"We're not allowed to. If we do, they take points off our paper. We have to use 'fabula' and 'syuzhet.' "

My daughter was required to take 14 units of film analysis and theory before she could graduate with her bachelor's degree in film studies. That's the equivalent of going to school full time for one quarter, which made it relatively easy to crunch the numbers. Including tuition, books, school supplies, food and rent, it cost about $6,100 for Alexis to learn how to distinguish between a chair and a nostalgic feeling. I don't like to complain, but that just didn't seem like a fair return on my investment.

Is there a hidden method to these film theorists' apparent madness? Or is film theory, as movie critic Roger Ebert said as I interviewed him weeks later, "a cruel hoax for students, essentially the academic equivalent of a New Age cult, in which a new language has been invented that only the adept can communicate in"?
Annette Insdorf, director of Undergraduate Film Studies at Columbia University, recruits film theorists for her faculty because she believes her students should be exposed to a discipline that has had a major impact on cinema scholarship. But she remains ambivalent.

Film theory caught on in the 1970s and 1980s, she points out, a time when many cinema professors were struggling to win the respect of their colleagues. "Don't forget that film studies always labored under the handicap of being perceived as too easy and fun within many universities," Insdorf says. "I sometimes suspected that professors were trying to ensure their own job security by utilizing an increasingly obfuscating language. The less understandable film theory became to faculty from other departments, the more respectable it seemed."
I read from my daughter's study guide to Gary A. Randall, who has served as president of Orion Television, Spelling Television, and as the executive producer of the TV series "Any Day Now." "That's what your daughter's being taught?" he says. "That's just elitist psychobabble. It sounds like it was written by a professor of malapropism. That has absolutely no bearing on the real world. It sounds like an awfully myopic perspective of what film is really supposed to be about: touching hearts and minds and providing provocative thoughts."

From movie critic Ebert: "Film theory has nothing to do with film. Students presumably hope to find out something about film, and all they will find out is an occult and arcane language designed only for the purpose of excluding those who have not mastered it and giving academic rewards to those who have. No one with any literacy, taste or intelligence would want to teach these courses, so the bona fide definition of people teaching them are people who are incapable of teaching anything else."

From Kevin Brownlow, the world's leading silent movie historian, author of "The Parade's Gone By . . .," and co-producer, with David Gill, of acclaimed documentaries: "You would think, from this closed-circuit attitude to teaching, that such academics would be politically right wing. For it is a kind of fascism to force people practicing one discipline to learn the language of another, simply for the convenience of an intellectual elite. It's like expecting Slavs to learn German in order to comprehend their own inferiority. But they are not right wing. They are, regrettably, usually left wing—quite aggressively Marxist—which makes the whole situation even more alarming."
(end excerpts)

The full artcle is quite lengthy and well worth reading.

der Brucer

For those of you who have trouble with the link, or do not wish to rgister, I have he full article in a Word file.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2004, 10:24:18 AM »

JRand, Patty and Cathy Lane actually lived in Brooklyn Heights, not Jackson Heights. Their address was:

Number Eight Remsen Drive, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn,
NY. 11201

Remember the song (or at least part of it):

Meet Cathy, who’s lived most everywhere,
From Zanzibar to Barclay Square.
But Patty’s only seen the sight.
A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights
What a crazy pair!

Actually, according to the U.S. Post Office, there is no Remsen Drive in Brooklyn Heights. There is a Remsen Street and a Remsen Avenue, but no Remsen Drive.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 10:29:49 AM by Ben »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2004, 10:25:07 AM »

Normally, I don't get hooked on new shows, because most of the time, I am busy doing theater and don't get a chance to watch anything on a regular basis, especially in the Fall.  However, I truly fell in love with Firefly last year (2002).  As I have said several times on this site, I don't usually care much for sci-fi or fantasy,  and I am not a big fan of westerns, but there was something very special about Firefly.  It really was a kind of a futuristic Wagon Train, but it was smart, touching, amusing, and fast paced.  And the entire cast was wonderful from Nathan Fillion and Ron Glass down to Adam Baldwin.  If there is any good news to be had, it is that Universal has announced plans for a 2005 film version of the series starring the original cast.

The movie I would like to see re-made would be Interview With A Vampire, but only if they would let me make the film.  It is one of my favorite books of all time, and I could have made a wonderful film version of it.

Jose -- I, also, thought it was you that said that the actor playing Raoul wouldn't be able to dance.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2004, 10:30:28 AM »

OH! And guess what I got in the mail yesterday?

Guess?? Huh?  Any guesses?

Well, I received my share of the settlement from the CD MAP Antitrust Lititgation!  All $13.86 of it!  -Actually, that's enough to buy one CD on sale... two budget-priced ones even!  Did anyone else sign up for this last year?  -Was it last year? Or was it two years ago at this point?  Hmmm...

I love how it's addressed on the inside:  Dear Virginia Music Purchaser.  And it's "signed" by none other than the Attorney General of Virginia.

I know I shouldn't really be making fun of this, but...  The last time I checked, the prices on CD went up another dollar, so...

I got this also!  Except mine is addressed "Dear Washington Music Purchaser" and signed by Christine O. Gregoire, Attorney General of Washington!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 10:30:47 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2004, 10:39:06 AM »

Der Brucer, thanks for the info on GREG THE BUNNY, that does about sum it up. It was hard to find when they would keep moving it around. It really was quite funny, at least I thought so.

the Catholic/Irsh family sitcom wasn't Lenny. As I recall the title was the family's last name, an Irish name. The whole family lived in one house and I do recall one of the teenage daughters was named Mary Margaret and she was hilarious.

GHOST AND MRS. MUIR was definitely a good show! TV Land was showing repeats of it for awhile a few years ago. Wish I would have taped them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2004, 10:39:55 AM »

I've written some, I've eaten some peanuts, and here I am, here I'll stay.  Lots of GUESTS, lots of posters, but not lots of posts.  A dichotomy?  A. Lobotomy?  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »

Short-lived series:

He & She...which starred Dick Benjamin, Paula Prentiss, and Jack Cassidy

A series during the Civil War centennial (that would have been 1961-65, though the series only lasted maybe a year, if that) I think it was called THE AMERICANS and starred I believe Daryl Hickman and Dick Davalos (?) as two brothers who fight on opposite sides during the Civil War...one week they showed the brother on the Union side/Next week the Confederate brother...I was a big Civil War buff at the time.

RLP...I almost always agree with Simon.  I think he is usually dead on the mark with his criticism.  They are insightful, actually come from a no-mincing-of-words professional standard, and actually mean something more than Randy's "That was interesting, dog."  or Paula's polite cheerleading boosts.   But I've noticed both Paula and Randy seem to be getting more honestly open this year as opposed to hedging their criticisms.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2004, 10:45:41 AM »

OMG DRBEN - you are correct.  My geography grade for today is a D!  Must be listening to too much Capital Coast to Coast.

DRWEL thanks for the POTO review.  I was the one who mentioned the non-dancing Raouls - but they are almost uniformly eye-catching in their non-terpsichory!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 10:46:00 AM by JRand53 »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2004, 10:47:37 AM »

Yep, loved TIME TUNNEL and PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES (also THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR), though these three did get two year runs, I think.

TIME TUNNEL didn't quite make 2 years:

September 9, 1966 - April 7, 1967
ABC Science Fiction - 30 Episode

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2004, 10:48:06 AM »

DRCHARLESPOGUE - I also enjoyed THE AMERICANS and was hoping it would take us through the Civil War, which is probably what the producers hoped as well.  If I remember correctly, it was in color...hmmmmmmm...but it certainly had a less sweeping view of the War Between the States than we were used to.....brother against brother....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2004, 10:49:35 AM »

A. Dichotomy?  A. Tracheotomy?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »

I haven't received my mp3 and CD burning tutorials.  I opened the burner on my computer but it's so convoluted and seems to be about making CD to CD copies which, of course, you'd need two CD drawers to do - I have one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2004, 10:50:54 AM »

Some of the short-lived series I'd have loved see continue include:

"The Lieutenant" (early 60s, starring Gary Lockwood)
"Gidget" with Sally Field
"Margie" (Cynthia Pepper)

There was a summer show on CBS in the mid-to-late 60s about a guy with amnesia.  As the stories progress, he begins discovering skills he didn't know he had, like speaking Japanese and other languages.  Even with these revelations, he doesn't remember "how" he learned them and why.  It was a very good show and drew high ratings, but it was not picked up for the fall.  I can see the actor, but cannot for the life of me recall his name or the title of the show.

From recent years, there was a great show called "Kindred" -- it was about vampires, and was set in San Francisco.  It was sort of a "Dynasty" for the fanged set.  Quite entertaining (from Aaron Spelling, believe it or not), but it was not aired beyond five or six episodes.  Its star died in a car accident within months of the show's final airing.

From last year, "Keen Eddie," being shown now on Bravo.  A good show that Fox did not have the patience to wait until the show attracted an audience.  That and "Greed".    Fox has become the "instant gratification" network...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2004, 10:51:30 AM »

James Callahan was the neighbor on Wendy and Me.  Thank you.  It was driving me crazy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2004, 10:52:25 AM »

DRCHARLESPOGUE I was also a He and She fan. I also remember fondly a series on ABC in the 60s (I think it's been mentioned before) but I can't quite remember the name. It was a musical comedy/musical theatre weekly series. I seem to remember Robert Morse and E.J. Peaker being attached to it. Am I remembering this correctly?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »

And I liked "Angie" too, but that ran for at least two season didn't it?

Not quite:

ANGIE February 8, 1979 - October 2, 1980
ABC Situation Comedy - 36 Episodes

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2004, 10:54:07 AM »

Well, my apologies to Jose.  Even before WEL wrote about the non-dancing Raoul, I would have sworn that you were the one who had mentioned him.  Thank you, Jrand, for clearing up the mystery.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up