Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 32442 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2004, 05:58:03 PM »

"American Gothic" - Yep, that was it!  Thank you DERBRUCER!  And, later, Danise.

DR Panni - Thank you for sharing your memories of Miss Breckenridge.  I was also very fortunate to have some very memorable and influential teachers througout my education.  And, luckily, my three brothers and I "got out" of the educational system before the main goal of the schools became making sure students learned enough to pass those convoluted standardized tests.

A few years ago, I remember watching some of the hearings - hearings?!?!? - the board of education had here in Virginia where they heard from various religious, cultural, educational, and historical groups.  People were actually lobbying for which topics and events should be included on the tests.  Whatever happened to a good old-fashioned education?  Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic?  On the flipside of the coin, at least the people were given some say.

And to rant just a little more on this... In Virginia, the standardized tests are called the Standards Of Learning test - SOLs for short... Well, SOL also stands for... Hmmm...  In any case, there is sooo much material that is covered in these tests, that it actually ends up interfering with the standard curriculum at most if not all the schools.  A few music teacher friends of mine usually end up having to devote at least one day a week of their music classes to covering some of the material in the SOLs.  The math teachers have to do the same thing.  The english teachers have to do the same thing.  The history teachers have to do the same thing.  And so on, and so on...  Wouldn't you think that the material in the SOLs would automatically be covered in the regular course work?  ???

OH - end of rant... mainly because I know I'm rambling...

But thank you again DR Panni... And I'd also like to thank Mr. Sharak (4th grade), Mrs. Wallace (5th grade), Sister Edward Eileen (6th grade) and Sister Maureen Gregory (11th and 12th grade).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2004, 06:04:31 PM »

Ooohh... The Judy Garland "American Masters" program just started!!  Ooohh!!!

-And as for "American Idol"... Just how many "delay" tactics can they come up with for Ryan "I've reached my 16th minute" Seacrest?!?!?  Why bother when it's the standard format by now?!?

OK - Back to Judy...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:05:52 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2004, 06:11:31 PM »

No, Jane, no one offered.  LOL.  Concerned but not THAT concerned, I guess.  I think I'll be fine.  I booked the hotel across the street from the Hall so it's not like I'm going to be roaming the streets at night.  I'm not into bars.   I can count on one hand, no thumb, how many I've been in.

Now during the day--that's another story.  I've already seen several places on the map that I want to check out.  

Your welcome, Panni.  At least one hubba for each of you!    :)

Jose and anyone else, so what did you think the sheriff was in American Gothic?  A fallen angel?  Demon?  I was never quite sure but I liked the show.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2004, 06:12:06 PM »

She was also fortunate to have a student who continued to keep in touch with her.

I'm hoping to do an adaptation (if we can place it at some network) of a book called "A Boy I Once Knew"...  It's the true story of an English teacher who kept in touch with a grade 9 student - Christmas cards, that kind of thing - but never saw him after their one school year together. She knew virtually nothing about his life, except for the few words he enclosed on his yearly cards. 20 years after she saw him last a large package arrived from San Francisco. Inside it were the old student's diaries for the last 10 years! He had died of AIDS and had asked her to keep his memory alive by doing something with the journals. He wrote that he felt a "connection" to her and knew if anyone would do it, she would.

Panni

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2004, 06:18:06 PM »

I hate to put a damper on things... But how come no one has had a few choice words to say about our beloved president's latest? Let's amend the constitution, folks. Oh yes, the DANGER of same sex marriages and what they do to our fair land must be stopped at all cost. The Department of Homoland Security is on the case even as we speak.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2004, 06:37:20 PM »

I've seen the sanctity of marriage from Britney's viewpoint, Michael Jackson's, and numerous gay closeted actors so I find our beloved president and the Republican party's actions one more step in the Nazification of the United States.  Whether people support gay marriage or not, the issue is personal freedom and I'm appalled at a proposed amendment to a Constitution that perverts - a wry word here - the concept of personal freedom.  Is marriage anywhere clearly defined as a union between a man and woman?  If it's for procreation, what about a mariage blanc  like Cole and Linda Porter's?  What about Martha Raye's to as gay man half her age?  Rock Hudson and Phyllis?  I don't mean to throw rocks at people's choices here, but these marriages seem rather fraudulent to me as defined by George W.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2004, 06:38:21 PM »

Panni reading your synopsis of “A Boy I Once Knew” gave me chills.

On the other hand “The Department of Homoland Security is on the case even as we speak”-LOL  ;D

Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2004, 06:39:01 PM »

I'm watching a very strange movie I TIVOd - The Detective, starring Mr. Frank Sinatra.  It's about the murder of a gay man.  The attitudes of this film are rather shocking to see today, and I do remember it was quite controversial at the time.  Good cast, though - Lee Remick, Jaqueline Bissett, Jack Klugman.  Tony Musante is unbelievably over the top in what I think was one of his first films, if not his first.

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2004, 06:46:02 PM »

I hate to put a damper on things... But how come no one has had a few choice words to say about our beloved president's latest? Let's amend the constitution, folks. Oh yes, the DANGER of same sex marriages and what they do to our fair land must be stopped at all cost. The Department of Homoland Security is on the case even as we speak.

DR Panni - this is one of the reasons that I am so out-of-sorts today; not to mention the ongoing medical probs here at home.
I have sent out a massive email (some DRs should have got it a little while ago) regarding this hideous condition.
I thought that when BK wrote about talking about stupidity, that he would follow with a rant on this particular subject.  Nonetheless, BK's rant was a great rant.
It's very difficult to discuss politics with civility on the net, which is why I usually refrain while remaining reticent.
I cannot believe that a country whose founding fathers stated that all men are created equal are trying to take away said equality.
So, I shall return to my reticent state now, maybe Hermione Gingold's ghost will appear.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2004, 06:49:39 PM »

DR Panni,  the book "A Boy I Once Knew" is a great read and it would be a fab drama!  I hope you can sell it to a star or a network.  I think it's a great example of how we touch lives, never know it, and move on.  In 18 years of school, college, and grad school, I can think of maybe 6 teachers at the most who educated me, the rest bided their time and mine:

4th grade:  Betty Fay
5th grade:  Roses Mull
Junior high school music:  Valda Wilkerson
High school music:  Helen Weinberger
High school English:  Ellen Easton
College Latin:  Robert Kane
And I had a great World history prof in college whose name I've forgotten, but he made me want to go to class to learn about serfs, Erich Maria Remargue,
the fourteenth century, Stendahl, and a zillion things I can't recall but will always have lurking in my subconscious.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2004, 06:51:12 PM »

Sadly, for we're moving backwards in this country instead of forward.  It's amazing that the government feels it right to take up to forty percent of your earnings, but also feels that it can dictate to you how you may live.  That's not really good value for money, and let me tell you if all the gay people, male and female, stood in protest by refusing to pay income tax, the government a) wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it, and b) might reconsider their stupidity.

MY stupidity is an entirely different matter, and I've been flogging myself like Judge Turpin all day long.  I must say that my current bank is aces - very patient with me, and very helpful, and for today at least no one tried to do anything, so I'm praying with all my might that I got the password changed before they had the chance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2004, 06:51:28 PM »

I just remembered his name:  Max Welborn! Max Welborn!  Thank you!

Now let's talk about the few good bosses or employers we may be fortunate to work for in a lifetime of labor for oafs and morons.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2004, 06:53:55 PM »

I don't mean to throw rocks at people's choices here, but these marriages seem rather fraudulent to me as defined by George W.
But he would be fully in support of my father's marriage to my stepmother.  My father was in his late seventies at the time, my stepmother younger but a cancer survivor and with two adult children already making her four times a grandmother.  Procreation?  Not on the agenda.

As bothersome is Kerry's rumored seeking of Sam Nunn as his running mate.  Nunn, the former Dem Senator from Georgia, was the homophobe who coerced Clinton into supporting the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" military law.

This does not look good, on either ticket.  I am frustrated as hell.

Off to cook a late dinner.  And, DR Jose, don't forget the rerun of Good Eats at 1, after you get over Judy.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:58:22 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2004, 06:57:31 PM »

Dear BK, I'm sorry you've been a victim of internet fraud today.  It happened to me over a year ago with eBay, and I spent a sleepless night to learn that I'd discovered it quick enough to change my password.  I'm sure you're suffering from all the angst and adrenalin, but I bet you can relax now.  

I also wanted to tell you that you were one of the good employers I've been lucky to encounter, no oaf or moron you, but they lurk out there in every field of employment.  What are you watching tonight?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2004, 07:00:08 PM »

See post above - The Detective.  The attitudes about gay people in this film are really mind boggling.  Apparently and sadly, they still prevail with a good segment of our population.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2004, 07:01:30 PM »

It's raining quite a bit here.  I'm glad Panni built herself a nice fire.  The interesting thing is that she doesn't have a fireplace.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2004, 07:01:31 PM »

DR Woody White, I apologize for omitting your initial.  Didn't Mae West say that when choosing between two evils, she picked the one she hadn't tried before?  I would vote for Lassie, King Kong or Lindberg if he/she/it were running against George Bush or any other threat to me, my friends, or humanity.  I'm not noble, though I'd like to be; I just have a low asshole tolerance level.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2004, 07:04:20 PM »

BK, I forgot about THE DETECTIVE.  Sorry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2004, 07:07:01 PM »

SUch nice posts to come home to after rehearsal.

Internet fraud and bogus email.......the price we pay for instant communication that we WANT, I guess....like commercials on television, I guess.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »

I just saw a tv ad for Tom Hanks in THE LADYKILERS.  Should I be very afraid?  Is this a remake of one of my favorite British comedies?  Any word about it?

Tomovoz

« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2004, 07:23:19 PM »

Hope the rehearsal went well JRand. How are your stress levels? Mine should be down after a phone call in 4 hours.
I have been so fortunate in that I have rarely had unsolicited email. Maybe I don't surf the NET enough!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2004, 07:34:21 PM »

This is wonderful, but I take no credit for it. It was emailed to me by
DR Elmore3003 who asked me to post it. He can fill you in on who sent it to him. Here it is:

12 Reasons Same-Sex Marriages Will Ruin Society

1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and
birth control.

2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people can't legally get married because the world needs more children.

3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.

5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are property, blacks can't marry whites, and
divorce is illegal.

6. Gay marriage should be decided by people not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country.
That's why we have only one religion in America.

8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy
behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.

12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages for gays and lesbians will.

Panni

« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2004, 07:40:54 PM »

I'm glad Panni built herself a nice fire.  The interesting thing is that she doesn't have a fireplace.
"Resourceful" is my middle name.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

DR Panni,  I would never have thought of posting it, but I received it today from my friend Vince whose friend mailed it to him.  I wish I knew its authorship.  I thank you for doing the post and I consider it the start of a beautiful relationship.  Merci beaucoup.

Panni

« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2004, 07:43:29 PM »

I just saw a tv ad for Tom Hanks in THE LADYKILERS.  Should I be very afraid?  Is this a remake of one of my favorite British comedies?  Any word about it?

I'm afraid it IS a remake. I haven't heard anything, but saw a lengthy trailer which looked pretty bad.

Kerry

« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2004, 08:06:22 PM »

I wasn't a big fan of MAX HEADROOM but I do remember it. I did like the show that the star of MH was in later where he played a doctor and had a gay brother played by Tony Carierro (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Was it called Doctor, Doctor?

I LOVED THAT SHOW- ALLTHE OPTHER CHARACTERS AND ESPECIALLY TONY CARIERRO (WHO STILL LOOKS AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS)
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2004, 08:23:36 PM »

Internet fraud and bogus email.......the price we pay for instant communication that we WANT, I guess....like commercials on television, I guess.

I disagree.  It's one thing to have to accept spam (to me that is a similar analogy to having commercials).  But I don't think that we should have to worry about the fraud.

I think BK was right with his contempt. These people should be shot (not literally, but you get the drift).

I guess I wonder how these people commit the fraud so seemingly easily.  I mean couldn't the people at paypal for example, answer the fraudulent emails, give the information requested, and then somehow follow the trail?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:25:59 PM by Jennifer »

td

• td
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2004, 08:25:24 PM »

Well, two subjects I don't normally converse about online are now the issues of the day, so, i thought that maybe I should post a mixed post.  

(some drs may have already read this, since there is a massive email - not from me - containing these words):

The Presidential Prayer Team is currently urging us to: "Pray for
the President as he seeks wisdom on how to legally codify the
definition of marriage. Pray that it will be according to Biblical
principles. With any forces insisting on variant definitions of
marriage, pray that God's Word and His standards will be honored by our government."  This is true.

Any good religious person believes prayer should be balanced by
action. So here, in support of the Prayer Team's admirable goals,
is a proposed Constitutional Amendment codifying marriage entirely on biblical principles:

A. Marriage in the United States shall consist of a union between
one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5)

B. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in
addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron
11:21)

C. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a
virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut
22:13-21)

D. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be
forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)

E. Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the
constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be
construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)

F. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry
the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or
deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one
shoe and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)

G. In lieu of marriage, if there are no acceptable men in your
town, it is required that you get your dad drunk and have sex with
him (even if he had previously offered you up as a sex toy to men
young and old), tag-teaming with any sisters you may have. Of
course, this rule applies only if you are female. (Gen 19:31-36)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2004, 08:44:13 PM »

DR MBarnum, it was I who mentioned SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS. Great cast: Danny Nucci, Jason Bateman, and Alec Mapa.

DR RLP, I also enjoyed HOOPERMAN very much. I think Joey Gian played one of the first gay men on TV that I could identify with.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »

DR Danise:  I was born and raised in SLC, so if you need a virtual tourguide, IM me.  This probably wouldn't interest you, but the quite excellent Military Museum at Ft. Douglas up by the University of Utah (in fact, now a part of the University, but that's another story) was founded by and is named after my late father.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:46:05 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up