Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 32609 times)

Ben

Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2004, 12:31:56 PM »

According to the message counter, in the next few days we should hit 30,000 posts at this here site. Right now we are at 29,190 (not counting mine) and this post will also push us to Number 90 which starts Page 4.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 12:32:23 PM by Ben »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2004, 12:33:11 PM »

MBarnum Doctor, Doctor was an interesting show.

It also reminds me of a show I enjoyed, E/R with. Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Conchata Ferrell and George Clooney

Jane

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2004, 12:34:36 PM »

I miss THE PRETENDER and want to know how it ends.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »

had a gay brother played by Tony Carierro (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Was it called Doctor, Doctor?
You didn't; it was.

der Brucer

"Doctor Doctor" (1989)
[TV-Series 1989-1991]  

Tony Carreiro.... Richard Stratford

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

CORONET BLUE -- THANKS derBrucer!

CP -- "Uncle."

JRand53:  I agree with you that comments can sometimes be made that seem to "imply" that someone is saying his or her life has more important things going on and that's why he or she hasn't been here.  But don't take it the wrong way.  

Things happen in people's lives that do take priority over everything else.  I'm sure they'd love to make the time to post here, but sometimes the "other things" overwhelm and make it impossible to get into the rhythms of the various forums they might otherwise frequent.  When someone tries to catch up and sees that someone else has noted that he or she has been "E & T" and that someone wonders why, the person might feel obligated to say, "I've been errant and truant, but I've had so many hectic things in my life lately...."  which may very well be true.  

That's not to say there aren't people overly impressed with themselves and given to writing in such a manner that they're doing the forum a favor by posting.

I'd like to think THAT kind of person is the exception, however!

:D

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2004, 12:45:59 PM »

RLP -- Perhaps I missed an earlier explanation, but who is the hottie in your profile picture?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »

Good afternoon!

WOW!  Is it brisk outside!  BRISK!  But I stuck it through and ran my two miles - most of the time against a considerable head wind - and sometimes a side wind.  Brisk, I tell you!

What was that spooky, supernatural series that was on CBS a few years ago?  It was set in North Carolina, I believe - well, I know it was filmed there.  Gary Cole was one of the stars, and there was a great young man/boy who starred in it too.  And I believe Shaun Cassidy was one of the producers.  ???  In any case, I loved that show too!

I'll be back after I wait in line at the post office...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2004, 12:46:50 PM »

It also reminds me of a show I enjoyed, E/R with. Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Conchata Ferrell and George Clooney

I remember that show also, DR Jane. I enjoyed it as well. It was on in syndication quite a while ago, which is when I remember seeing it.

George Clooney also played the plant foreman (and on again off again, dated Jackie, the sister) in early episodes of Roseanne.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2004, 12:53:48 PM »

George Clooney got around.  He was also on FACTS OF LIFE, a show that went on too long.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2004, 12:53:49 PM »

I miss THE PRETENDER and want to know how it ends.

It's like that Bunny (not Greg) that just keeps going...and going...

THE PRETENDER:

Show History

The Pretender ran for four years on NBC and then went into syndication on TNT (see below) and various non-cable stations. TNT also co-produced two Pretender movies with Twentieth Century Fox TV. The Pretender 2001 premiered on TNT Monday, January 22, 2001 at 8PM. The second movie, The Pretender: Island of the Haunted, premiered on TNT Monday, December 10, 2001 at 8PM ET/PT.
As of Sept. 1, 2003; you can catch The Pretender Monday-Friday at 8 AM ET/PT on TNT.

(Last TV series Episode)

86. The Inner Sense (2)

Jarod finally locates his sister Emily, just in time to see her nearly assassinated by The Centre. Meanwhile, Miss Parker's search of the secrets behind her mother's death lead her and Jarod to the same place -- and a mysterious young man named Ethan.

Followed by:

TV Movie
The Pretender 2001

Jarod and Miss Parker learn more about their pasts, as Jarod attempts to stop another Pretender from seeking revenge against the powers that be at The Centre.

Which resulted in:

The Pretender: Island of the Haunted

Through a series of bizarre circumstances, Jarod and Miss Parker find themselves trapped together on a strange island in a life and death situation, out of which come some of the most important revelations about their pasts.

der Brucer (whatta ya want, "closure", already?)

Jane

« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2004, 12:55:26 PM »

It's like that Bunny (not Greg) that just keeps going...and going...

der Brucer (whatta ya want, "closure", already?)

YES! YES! YES!  :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2004, 01:00:27 PM »

GREAT rant, FS Pogue! And, sadly, it's twue, it's twue. I have two books which I've often thought of taking to meetings and flinging across the room at just the right moment. One is "A First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy - What Children Need to Know" which I bought years ago for my daughter. It is set up like a dictionary with subheadings such as "Mythology," "Literature, "World history to 1600"..etc.
Under each heading, in alphabetical order, are concise definitions of facts everyone should know. Your Muses would have greatly benefited from this book.
Here's the entry for Charlemagne: "Charlemagne (SHAR-luh-mayn) - Charlemagne, also known as Charles the Great, was the king of France and the emperor of several other countries during the MIDDLE AGES."
It's a start, anyway. And notice that not only does it give you the pronunciation, but it leads you to looking up the Middle Ages, in case you were away the day they were covered in school.

The other book, for grown-ups, is AN INCOMPLETE EDUCATION by Jones and Wilson, which devotes each chapter to a major discipline and discuses all sorts of things, from three arguments for the existence of God to twelve great fictional character with whom you should at least have a nodding acquaintance. This is all done with humor, which always helps.

Anyway, hurling these two books across the room might lose me a job, but would certainly give me huge satisfaction!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2004, 01:04:21 PM »

TCB:  C'est moi, in 1978!  I was a Petty Officer Second Class and I was working in the office of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy in Washington DC.  That cropped photo was a group photo during a conference held in the Senate Office Building.  I provided administrative support during the conference and got to attend ALL the parties in the evenings.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2004, 01:04:25 PM »

DR Jane:  Remember the Oriental admitting nurse on E/R who was always screaming "Stand in BACK of the white line."  I loved that show, too--debuted at #1, then faded quickly.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »

CHARLES POGUE:  THAT's the book...hell, a series is called for...you should be writing.

"Things You Should Know" (subtitle: "Everything You Missed Because the Schools Don't Teach It Any More and Your Parents Didn't Know, Either")

You could market it to ANYONE who wants to be more than just another cipher in life.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2004, 01:09:24 PM »

I mentioned HE AND SHE earlier today. I, also remember THE PRUITTS OF SOUTHHAMPTON which I found funny until it because THE PHYLLIS DILLER SHOW. A couple of years later, they gave her a variety show, and it was not good at all. On the other hand, Pearl Bailey was given a variety show in the late 1960s that was really good. And of course, THE JULIE ANDREWS HOUR was one of the greatest musical variety hours in the history of TV (7 Emmys its first season and was then canceled).

Already mentioned are two other shows I really liked: FIREFLY and KEEN EDDIE. I got the FIREFLY boxed set on DVD and am enjoying the KEEN EDDIE episodes on Bravo now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2004, 01:11:08 PM »

WEL, there have actually been three legitimate movie versions of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA: Lon Chaney, Claude Rains, and Herbert Lom (in the 1960s). This doesn't take into account PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and possibly other versions trading on the popularity of the tale.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »

Der Brucer - Thanks for the anti-film school article!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2004, 01:17:12 PM »

What was that spooky, supernatural series that was on CBS a few years ago?  It was set in North Carolina, I believe - well, I know it was filmed there.  Gary Cole was one of the stars, and there was a great young man/boy who starred in it too.  And I believe Shaun Cassidy was one of the producers.  ???  In any case, I loved that show too!

American Gothic

American Gothic is a horror/drama/thriller series set in the heart of South Carolina in a small town called Trinity. In this town not everyone is as they seem and everyone seems to follow their leader, Sheriff Lucas Buck. Lucas's son, Caleb Temple, was brought up by another family and was lead to believe that a man called Gage was his father. The local doctor, Matt Crower, gets curious when suddenly the Sheriff wants everything to do with Caleb. Then Caleb's cousin, Gail Emory, comes to town to protect Caleb in every way she can, but that is extremely difficult when she fall in love with Lucas. Then Caleb's school teacher, Miss Selena Coombs, becomes jealous. But also on Caleb's side is his dead sister, Merlyn. She is an angel prepared to do ANYTHING to keep Lucas away...

Cassidy was its creator.

Filmed in Wilmington, NC (same as Dawson's Creek, and one of my favorites: Hallmark's "What the Deaf Man Heard"). Also where the soon to be released "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" was/is being filmed.  

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2004, 01:20:06 PM »

The producers of GET SMART made another satirical series with William Daniels called CAPTAIN NICE which I thought was hysterical. He was an inept superhero.

On CBS at almost the same time was a short-lived silly show with an inept superhero called MR. TERRIFIC. It didn't have the satirical edge that CAPTAIN NICE had. It also didn't have Alice Ghostley as the mother of the superhero.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 01:24:00 PM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2004, 01:23:40 PM »

According to the message counter, in the next few days we should hit 30,000 posts at this here site. Right now we are at 29,190 (not counting mine) and this post will also push us to Number 90 which starts Page 4.

And if folks keep posting snippets of data on TV shows, to which I then need to research and post answers, we'll get there sooner than you think!

der Brucer (expecting A TIVO ad to pop up any minute)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2004, 01:27:38 PM »

Let us discuss stupidity, shall we?  In fact, let us discuss the stupidity of BK, shall we?  After all that talk about scam paypal e-mails, I get one today.  Unfortunately, it says something that made me nervous because it happened for real once before.  So, like an idiot, I click on the link in the e-mail.  It takes me to some paypal page that makes no sense, as if it took me to the wrong page.  But, at the top is the standard menu bar, including log in.  I click - and a page comes up with my paypal username.  So, it seems real, because how else would it have that information.  I enter my password and am taken to my account.  There are no problems or flags and I know I've been instantly hoodwinked.  I change my password instantly, but I can't remember if I did it from there or if I went directly to paypal.  I also transfer the money to my bank account immediately, so that there is only 15 bucks left in there.

I call paypal and tell them what happened and that I can't remember if I changed the password from the link or the real site - I change it again.  By this time, twenty minutes have gone by.  I did receive a confirmation of the bank transfer and of the password change, sent to the proper place, so that gives me hope that I did it directly from their site.   I also immediately checked with my bank and there has been no untoward activity today (and you know how fast these people work), so I'm hoping I'm safe.  The bank also told me that companies like paypal use encryption systems on account information (you know, only stars until the last four digits) that is very hard to hack.  Whether they had time to, who knows.  I'll be checking with the bank every few hours now, because if there was a problem the mothers would have to be making purchases or whatnot online.  And they know they have to move fast.  I also switched most of what was in that account to another account, so that only what I need for the few outstanding checks I've written is in there.  That's all one can do, I suppose.

Paypal then sent me an e saying it was indeed yet another bogus e-mail and that they were "investigating".  Changing the password as quickly as I did, does prevent them from getting in - it just depends how quickly they work.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2004, 01:28:21 PM »

Matt - I forgot about the 3rd movie PHANTOM.  I've seen the silent version and the Nelson Eddy version.

The only thing worse than a good series getting cancelled too soon is one that wears out its welcome but keeps going on.  Even "I Love Lucy" wasn't as consistantly funny in the last two seasons (or in 12 of the 13 hour long follow-ups).  M*A*S*H went on a good three years too long.  And look at ER these days.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2004, 01:31:17 PM »

DR Jane:  Remember the Oriental admitting nurse on E/R who was always screaming "Stand in BACK of the white line."  I loved that show, too--debuted at #1, then faded quickly.

I forgot about that line-very funny. :D

Panni

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2004, 01:34:51 PM »

That's quite a story, bk! Hope it all works out. You seem to have taken every precaution in the book, so it should.
My daughter called me yesterday asking if she should answer just such an email. Not Paypal, but her student ID and credit #. It seemed legit. I told her not to touch it with a ten foot slovak.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2004, 01:39:11 PM »

I too liked DOCTOR, DOCTOR, which costarred the handsome Beau Gravitte, spouse of the wonderful Debbie Shapiro Gravitte, and I was fond of BAKERSFIELD P.D., which starred Ron Eldard.  One of the biggest tv embarassments in my book was the cancelation of MY SO CALLED LIFE.  What I don't understand is how terrible shows remain on the air for so long, like THE SINGLE GUY and GOOD MORNING, MIAMI.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2004, 01:42:32 PM »

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

My daughter e-mailed me just now to ask for suggestions for a Truffaut film to write an essay about in which the New Wave can be discussed. It cannot be "400 Blows."
Her prof, who is French, seems to believe that there is only one viewpoint about films - hers. Apparently when asking a questions about interpretations of films they are viewing, she simply says "No!" if the answer is not the one she had in mind.
I need a suggestion for a film that a kid who is no expert on French cinema will enjoy and understand. "Jules et Jim" perhaps?
Suggestions, please, DRS. ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 01:43:27 PM by Panni »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2004, 01:51:32 PM »

Finally, a day with some breathing room.

I teach tonight, the final week of my half-size course in song improvisation.  This time, we came up with some new exercises, never tried before, and I think I now have a fresh(er) perspective on something I've been teaching for six years.

Monday night's cabaret went so well, it's led to a lot of post mortem thinking.  These were students with nothing to lose: they weren't on the musical theatre track and they hadn't invited agents.  So, their joy in singing was more in evidence, even if several were (at the start of this process) deathly afraid of singing in public.  The hits of the night seems to have been When You Got It, Flaunt It, performed by an actual Swedish bombshell, Big Black Man performed by a small black man, and, also from The Full Monty, Big Ass Rock.  Faring not nearly as well as I'd hoped was Jason Robert Brown's Still Hurting, which, no matter how well sung, drains all energy out of a theatre.

Sales of Our Wedding - The Musical CD are up, www.WeddingMusical.com and I'd like to think this has something to do with last week's interview on Donald Feltham's Broadway Radio Hour.  I know exactly how BK feels, hanging out a shingle and waiting for orders to come in.

The liquor store next door (just a few feet from our door) has its lights on and some workers in it.  That's good to see: The building had a devastating fire on Saturday.  I've never seen so many vehicles with flashing lights in one place.  No one seems to have been hurt, and our apartment survived unscathed, inches away.

I'm due for a vacation.  I notice, from seeing people on the street, that today's Ash Wednesday.  Can somebody tell me when Easter and Passover are?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »

MattH...I also like KEEN EDDIE, but I keep forgetting when it's on...Don't matter, I expect...They'll probably release it in a boxed set in another six months.

RLP,mmm?  Not a bad idea, maybe Panni, BK, and I ought get together and sell it...Nah, they'd just dumb it down, "How about: All About the Olden Days of the Eighties?"

Panni, I also have a copy of AN INCOMPLETE EDUCATION.  And a book called 1,001 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AMERICAN HISTORY, and a fun little quiz book called VIVALDI, OF COURSE! which is full of general knowledge quizzes on everything from the arts and literature and culture to science and history and mythology.  It's amazing what good stead my public school education keeps me with even VIVALDI, OF COURSE's subjects like mathematics and the human body and government...which I would usually consider myself a dunce about.

But I think your phrase, " a nodding acquaintance with" is the key.  One is not expected to have read all of Dickens or Hemingway, but one ought to know who the Hell they are, some of their book titles,and why they're important.

Another great book you should read is Morris Berman's THE TWILIGHT OF AMERICAN CULTURE...where he talks about the decline of functional literacy, the collapse of our schools, the 'Rambification' of our entertainment, and the 'McNews', and "the increasing antipathy our culture has toward anything 'intellectual'." He suggests that the decreasing number of intellectuals will have to become like the monks during the Dark Ages and be the keepers and protectors of knowledge until the New Renaissance.  I guess that's what this HHW site is...a small enclave of smart people holding onto the knowledge and keeping it from being lost.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2004, 01:55:40 PM »

I like Truffaut's The Soft Skin, and if she wants to be controversial, Fahrenheit 451.

I just took one final precaution and had them send me a new ATM card - they blocked the old one and nothing had come in on it as of this point.  Plus, if anything comes in that looks in the least bit suspicious they won't allow it or will call me.  That happened once before when I'd made quite a few online purchases at Christmas time, and they actually blocked my ATM card until I verified that it was me.  So, hopefully all will be well.  Plus, if they attempt to do any major purchases they won't go through anyway.  My other fear is that they might have gotten my address information - don't know what they could do with it, but I guess they have ways of doing whatever they want.  Luckily, they don't have social security numbers or license numbers on paypal, so they were limited to the address and the account information, which at least was encrypted.  IF they got in before I changed the password.  I hate these people so much and they're never caught because the people at places like paypal can't move fast enough and besides they cover their tracks.  If I were the government, I would hire computer hackers to catch these people and put them away forever.  Or just kill them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up