Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?  (Read 32516 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2004, 01:56:31 PM »

The first night of Passover is Monday, April 5; Easter Sunday is April11
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »

Holy serendipitous juxtapositions!

Read the last sentence of Dear Reader Charles Pogue's last post and the first sentence of Dear BK's post immediately following and put them together!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 02:00:56 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »

BK, your story is why I don't pay for anything over the internet, if I can possibly avoid.   I will get the information, call the people, then either do a credit card transaction over the phone or send a check.  If I absolutely do have to do an internet purchase,  I have only one credit card I use and it has the least money in any of my accounts.

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2004, 02:03:44 PM »

BK, it's amazing isn't it, how much these scams make it seem like you are at the real site.  But as you now know, NEVER enter ANY information from those links. Start fresh and do the link yourself.

On a similar note, after the fake paypal emails I had gotten last week, I had reported them. I got a nice note back from paypal. Anyhow, yesterday i received a follow-up email from paypal saying they had responded to my message. And that they wanted me to fill in a survey that might have personal info.

Of course I thought this was a scam. But checked the note they had originally sent, and it was the same time and day (as they mentioned in the survey request). AND it had the same woman's name.

The weird thing was I filled it out, and it had no personal info (i wouldn't have filled that in). It just asked me if they had helped me.

It's very sad, that even the legit emails look like fakes.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2004, 02:09:17 PM »

I guess that's what this HHW site is...a small enclave of smart people holding onto the knowledge and keeping it from being lost.
I think bk should get HHW letterhead printed up with just that on it!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »

I wouldn't choose FAHRENHEIT 451 as a jumping off point for the French New Wave. It was an English language film and not really in the style of THE 400 BLOWS or JULES ET JIM.

BTW, I'd choose the latter, DR Panni. Or go to one of Godard's early films like BREATHLESS if it doesn't have to be Trauffaut.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2004, 02:26:33 PM »

The unnerving thing about the scam was that you were taken to a page - okay, that can be bogus.  But when the menu bar at the top of the bogus page takes you to a log-in screen which HAS YOUR USERNAME in it, then they've gotten really sophisticated.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2004, 02:41:09 PM »

Here's the entry for Charlemagne: "Charlemagne (SHAR-luh-mayn) - Charlemagne, also known as Charles the Great, was the king of France and the emperor of several other countries during the MIDDLE AGES."
It's a start, anyway. And notice that not only does it give you the pronunciation, but it leads you to looking up the Middle Ages, in case you were away the day they were covered in school.

Ohhh, so that's Charlemagne!  I thought it was a brand of cheap perfume.  I guess that must be Shalimar.

:-[

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2004, 02:42:24 PM »

TCB:  C'est moi, in 1978!  I was a Petty Officer Second Class and I was working in the office of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy in Washington DC.  That cropped photo was a group photo during a conference held in the Senate Office Building.  I provided administrative support during the conference and got to attend ALL the parties in the evenings.

Very dashing!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2004, 02:44:22 PM »

CHARLES POGUE:  THAT's the book...hell, a series is called for...you should be writing.

"Things You Should Know" (subtitle: "Everything You Missed Because the Schools Don't Teach It Any More and Your Parents Didn't Know, Either")

You could market it to ANYONE who wants to be more than just another cipher in life.

Maybe you could just call it Real Life for Dummies.

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2004, 02:51:37 PM »

And don't forget that old parlor song "Pale Hands I Loved Beside the Shalimar" or was it Charlemagne?  And "The Night They Invented Charlemagne."

There was also a tv movie of POTO starring Burt Lancaster, as I recall, and this was the basis for the Maury Yeston POTO.  I like the Lon Chaney the best; it's the closest to the Gaston Leroux novel.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2004, 02:51:50 PM »

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

My daughter e-mailed me just now to ask for suggestions for a Truffaut film to write an essay about in which the New Wave can be discussed. It cannot be "400 Blows."
Her prof, who is French, seems to believe that there is only one viewpoint about films - hers. Apparently when asking a questions about interpretations of films they are viewing, she simply says "No!" if the answer is not the one she had in mind.
I need a suggestion for a film that a kid who is no expert on French cinema will enjoy and understand. "Jules et Jim" perhaps?
Suggestions, please, DRS. ??? ???

Close Encounters of the Third Kind  It is my favorite Truffaut film.

“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2004, 03:06:58 PM »

He also had spelt "through" as "threw" consistently in his script. When I asked him to spell it in class when he was sober, he spelt it the exact same way.  You can't write, if you don't read.  And if you read, you can't go more than a page or two in almost anything without encountering that preposition.  So, if nothing else, you should know how to spell that word by osmosis...just plain, simple, daily usage.
READ-THREW (n): When the first two pages of a script make you chuck it into the waste basket, which is located across the room.

As for the state of education these days, it may be because the purpose of a college-prep high school degree is to get the students into college, not to actually teach them anything.  When the only purpose of an education is to pass tests...well, you've seen the results of that.

I wonder if the reason a college diploma is a necessity these days in order to get a job, is because it is now up to the colleges to supply the education that the high schools used to cover.  Anyone want to bet that a masters degree will be the requirement for a job selling insurance in the next few years?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 03:21:32 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2004, 03:46:57 PM »

My question for ASK BK day - Mr BK (and DR's) what was the first computer you ever heard of and what did you think about it? What is the first computer you ever saw, and did you consider its possibilities? What is the first computer you owned - and what prompted you to buy it?

The first computer that I ever heard of was probably the "Brainiac" or something like that, that was on "The Jetsons."  The first computer that I owned was a Texas Instruments 99/4A and my parents bought it for me.  It had all of 16K memory.

Some of the short-lived series I'd have loved see continue include:

From last year, "Keen Eddie," being shown now on Bravo.  A good show that Fox did not have the patience to wait until the show attracted an audience.  That and "Greed".    Fox has become the "instant gratification" network...

I also love "Keen Eddie."  It's on Tuesday nights at 9:00 (West Coast time) on Bravo.

Any fans out there of the short-lived Max Headroom?

My sister LOVED "Max Headroom," but only the British version, not the Americanized version.  I bought her copies of the British version for her birthday a few years ago.

I wasn't a big fan of MAX HEADROOM but I do remember it. I did like the show that the star of MH was in later where he played a doctor and had a gay brother played by Tony Carierro (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Was it called Doctor, Doctor?

This was the first show that I watched that had a regular gay character...be still my heart. ;D  I also thought that the actor was pretty darned cute, but I saw him do too many interviews talking about his girlfriend or wife or something and I lost interest. ;)

The only thing worse than a good series getting cancelled too soon is one that wears out its welcome but keeps going on.  Even "I Love Lucy" wasn't as consistantly funny in the last two seasons (or in 12 of the 13 hour long follow-ups).  M*A*S*H went on a good three years too long.  And look at ER these days.

Didn't the TV series of M*A*S*H last two or three times longer than the actual war?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »

Another great book you should read is Morris Berman's THE TWILIGHT OF AMERICAN CULTURE...where he talks about the decline of functional literacy, the collapse of our schools, the 'Rambification' of our entertainment, and the 'McNews', and "the increasing antipathy our culture has toward anything 'intellectual'." He suggests that the decreasing number of intellectuals will have to become like the monks during the Dark Ages and be the keepers and protectors of knowledge until the New Renaissance.  I guess that's what this HHW site is...a small enclave of smart people holding onto the knowledge and keeping it from being lost.
Does Mr. Berman touch on something I consider essential (and a common factor among most of the HHW DRs): curiosity?  That simple quirk of personality that drives der Brucer, for example, to try to identify the television shows others were mentioning today, even though he has never heard of them.  (He's been having a blast with the on-line research.  I think it's part of what keeps him much younger than his years.)

Panni's comments about her daughter's film teacher is too typical of what happens.  Instead of asking students to find their own answers, and do their own thinking, the teacher seems only interested in the answers she herself found years earlier.  The result is double-deadening, because the students are forced to only seek that teacher's answers, and the teacher herself lacks the curiosity to find new answers.  Thus dies curiosity and imagination.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2004, 03:53:25 PM »

Here's the entry for Charlemagne: "Charlemagne (SHAR-luh-mayn) - Charlemagne, also known as Charles the Great, was the king of France and the emperor of several other countries during the MIDDLE AGES."

AND he was Pippin's father!  Any musical theater person/Stephen Schwartz fan should know that! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2004, 03:55:27 PM »

Another really good TV show that didn't last nearly long enough was "Hooperman."

It was, IMO, John Ritter's finest acting.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2004, 03:59:47 PM »

Hello all!  I’m here and there–still have some details to clear up about my trip but the trip itself is bought and paid for.  That means SLC here I come!

I can’t believe how many people are worried about my going there by myself.  The cutest was my friends husband who happened to call into work today and I took the call.  He told me I should have a beau to go with.  I asked him if I tied my shoes before I get on the plane I would have 2 bows.  OK, that was pretty lame but it was the best I could do at the time.

As far as the first computer–I had a TRS80 with 4 K of memory.  I upgraded to a SCREAMING 16 k and thought myself pretty hot stuff.  I wanted a computer like on Star Trek that would talk to me and play games.  It wasn’t everything I wished it would be.

The best computer/missed opportunity story I have is when they had a computer show in downtown Tampa.  I was working in the area so I went after work.  I was just going around, looking at the machines when this little white haired old lady came up to me and say, “Honey, do you like these things?”  I told her, “Yes, ma’am.  I’m very interested in them.”  She gave me some card and told me to call so and so on Monday and say she told me to call.  

Well dumb me, I lost the card and didn’t think to much more about it until I went in to a local Radio Shack and they were discussing the computer show.  I told them I had been there and mentioned the little old lady.  “Oh man,” the one guy said, “Do you have any idea WHO she was?”  I said no.  And then he told me that she owned most of the stock in Radio Shack so if she told that guy to hire me, he would have done so in a snap and had me trained on the TRS 80.  I would have been in on the ground floor, if I only hadn’t lost that darn card!  Sigh!

Jose, I think your talking about “American Gothic”.  I LOVED that show and wish it would have been picked up for at least a 2nd season.  It was strange but good.

Let me go back and read some of yesterdays posts and the day before.  I missed most of them.  

Bruce, I do plan on ordering the book–just give me until Friday (payday).

I'm back on track with the diet, by the way.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2004, 04:07:43 PM »

I'm amazed by the constant usage of incorrect grammar in the media, such as incorrect usage of the nominative case which worked for Lorelei Lee's stupidity when referring to "a girl like I," but I hear it constantly in newscasts, read it in books, and wonder if there's anyone out there learning the difference between the objective and nominative cases these days.  I never learned to write unconvoluted sentences.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »

I never learned to write unconvoluted sentences.
In your case, it's endearing.  But then, you don't write just about yourself, so it's interesting to follow and see where you're going.

Jed

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »

I got this also!  Except mine is addressed "Dear Washington Music Purchaser" and signed by Christine O. Gregoire, Attorney General of Washington!

Dagnab it!  Where's mine???  I signed up for it, too.  Hopefully soon!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2004, 04:41:14 PM »

Instead of asking students to find their own answers, and do their own thinking, the teacher seems only interested in the answers she herself found years earlier.  The result is double-deadening, because the students are forced to only seek that teacher's answers, and the teacher herself lacks the curiosity to find new answers.  Thus dies curiosity and imagination.

So true, SWW! I still remember the best teacher I ever had. Miss Breckenridge. Grade 6, Grace Street Public School in Toronto. Bessie Breckenridge was what used to be called "an old maid school teacher." What that really meant was that she had dedicated her life to a calling -- teaching. The year that I was lucky enough to get her she was already past retirement age, but had been kept on because she was so very good. Miss Breckenridge turned on a light inside me. I had always been curious, I read voraciously - but school was not an Anna-friendly place. For one thing, I had been dumped from one country to another, from one language to another. I lived inside my head, in my imagination and in my books. School was an interruption, an unwelcome one. And then Miss Breckenridge came into my life. She was so excited by the world around her and her ability to share it with us -- to introduce us to its wonders. School became an adventure for me. I could hardly wait to get there and see what incredible new door would open on that particular day. And aside from all that, Miss B. taught us the basics of math, grammar and spelling so well that they provided the foundation for everything that was to come in so called higher education. I kept in touch with Miss Breckenridge for many years. And I still remember the year I received back the Christmas card I had sent her with a note saying that she had passed away. One of the truly important people in my life was gone. But really she lives on every time I put an elegant sentence together or quickly add up a row of numbers in my head.

Danise

« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2004, 04:47:25 PM »

I think I'm kinda caught up now.  I missed the chat!  I'm so sorry.  I didn't realize I was in such a Michael Ball whirl.  

Saw the picture of Panni and Bruce.  Hubba, hubba!  Looking good--both of you!

So much exciting news--The concert, Mr. Crawford back on stage, Chitty coming to Broadway, Bruces book.  Wow!  To much excitment for me!  I need to sit down.  Wait--I AM sitting down!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jed

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2004, 04:55:24 PM »

George - I had a TI 99/4A, too!  We got it free from a friend of ours, and my dad and I just used it for the few games we had.  Loved "Shamus" on that system!  After that, I was sans-computer for about 12 years until just two years ago when I got an old Mac clone.  Still don't even have a printer, let alone other doo-dads!

Jane - Nope, never been to Moose Days.

Simon continues to be an ass for no reason other than he thinks it's expected.  He had to interject "let me finish" six times last night when the audience booed and jeered his comments about a performance.
To me it seems more that the audience boos and jeers for no other reason than that they expect him to be an ass, without regarding the fact that his criticism is usually pretty well-founded.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 04:56:48 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Laura II

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2004, 04:58:26 PM »

Speaking of scams...

I haven't ever gotten a fake paypal email (yet), but I opened my emails today to find one from a "sehb23@aol.com"--I think that's the address. The subject was "Your bill." I opened it to see the message, which was "explain!" I have no idea who this person is, so I didn't open the attachment. Still, though, I'm annoyed by that.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2004, 05:03:36 PM »

...I still remember the best teacher I ever had. Miss Breckenridge. Grade 6, Grace Street Public School in Toronto. Bessie Breckenridge was what used to be called "an old maid school teacher." What that really meant was that she had dedicated her life to a calling -- teaching....She was so excited by the world around her and her ability to share it with us -- to introduce us to its wonders. School became an adventure for me. I could hardly wait to get there and see what incredible new door would open on that particular day....
Panni, this is why I sometimes miss karma.  Virtual karma to you for your memories.

And add another word to our list: excitement!  To be excited, and be able to share that, is a rare gift, one that seems to be getting rarer daily.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2004, 05:22:17 PM »

I don't recall who mentioned SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS but I agree that it was a very good show. And that Danny Nucci! OMG!

Ok, Der Brucer here is another show for you to identify. The show was on FOX back in the 90s. It mostly took place on an airplance with 4 flight attendents as the main characters, 2 women (one black one white) and two men (one gay and one straight). I found it to be a very funny show, but then one day it was gone.  :-\

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2004, 05:42:19 PM »

I forgot to mention the most recently cancelled, far too soon, show-Peacemakers with Tom Berenger.

Panni you were very fortunate to have such a wonderful teacher.  She was also fortunate to have a student who continued to keep in touch with her.

Danise did anyone offer to accompany you on your trip?   :D How funny they are concerned you will be by yourself.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2004, 05:49:08 PM »

I forgot to mention the most recently cancelled, far too soon, show- Peacemakers with Tom Berenger.
Ah, another show der Brucer loved!  Well written, well acted.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

It's raining nicely here. I've got a fire going and it's quite cozy. Just got a call from a producer saying I should listen to a piece on NPR right now about the psychological effects of the war in Iraq on the troops coming home. Maybe later. That would most definitely wreck the peaceful mood.

Thank you for the virtual karma, SWW. I can use some right about now.

And merci for the Hubba, Danise! (The other Hubba is for Bruce, I presume.)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up