Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LUMPEN PROLETARIAT  (Read 58550 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE LUMPEN PROLETARIAT
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »

*And, yes, I have seen a few iPhone-worthy interns and doctors walking the halls. ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »

I would dance, but I'm on a "No Dancing" floor here at the hospital.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »

One really nice thing about tonight is that since the current hospital census is low, the other bed in my Mom's room is free. So my Dad will be able to spend the night here in the bed next to my Mom's tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »

Golly!  The things you stumble upon at "youtube.com"!

The 1966 TV presentation of "Brigadoon", for one...in nine parts!!!

BRIGADOON
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »

Gee, and Gaul was only divided into three parts!?!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »

One of my all-time favorite film composers has passed away, the great Neal Hefti.  He had a great eighty-six year run.  I shall now play the soundtrack to Barefoot In The Park, my personal favorite of his scores.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »

Speaking of gall!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »

Unmitigated.

In extremis.

:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »

Wow I just learned another new word on television.  A commercial for Abilify says it helps control Bipolarmania.

Does that mean it does nothing for the bipolar depression?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »

I just hate these ridiculous government holidays.  Make it a holiday for all or for none. 

So, you are advocating that the Federal Government dictate to all states, counties, cities, and companaies what will and what will not be Holidays?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »

I just hate these ridiculous government holidays.  Make it a holiday for all or for none. 

So, you are advocating that the Federal Government dictate to all states, counties, cities, and companaies what will and what will not be Holidays?

der Brucer

One for All and All for One.

I think all the states should adopt Federal Holidays, and that the Feds should adopt all the unique State holidays and that we should all have about 15-20 holidays per year.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »

I think I'm catching whatever has been plaguing others.....I've got an attack of "the plegma, what gets caught in the tubes...".

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »

I shall never understand why Leopold & Loeb didn't have as many hits as Meltz & Ernest.

They got caught.

:)

I finished the book by Simon Baatz, "For the Thrill of It, Leopold, Loeb and the murder that Shocked Chicago".  It is, I think, the best researched and most readable book on the subject. (considering there's really only one or two non-fiction on the subject, that isn't hard - but this was good)  I've read other books, including Leopold's "Life plus 99 Years" and never learned as much about what really happened in court etc.  If you have any interest in the case at all, it's a very good read.   It does get into lots of detail about the psychiatrists' testimony and the back and forth between Clarence Darrow and Robert Crowe, the sort of thing I find quite interesting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Wow I just learned another new word on television.  A commercial for Abilify says it helps control Bipolarmania.

That's correct.  For bipolar depression, you'll need to take Unbilify!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »

Was that after you marched in with Caesar...or before?

Laura

« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »

I am enjoying this Monday holiday; my DH has the day off.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »

It seems so. It is an add-on medication to anti-depressants to control the mania side of bipolar disorder.

READ HERE

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »

It seems so. It is an add-on medication to anti-depressants to control the mania side of bipolar disorder.

READ HERE

der Brucer

DR dingdong, please make a note!

:D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »

der Brucer

I think all the states should adopt Federal Holidays, and that the Feds should adopt all the unique State holidays and that we should all have about 15-20 holidays per year.

Would we have to learn French? :)

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »

*And, yes, I have seen a few iPhone-worthy interns and doctors walking the halls. ;D

Then you must go out and get one for each of them.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »

I am enjoying this Monday holiday; my DH has the day off.

You could do something productive - like crawdad hunting! (He could stand watch).

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »

Well, my Mom's doctor just came and left.  He explained how things will work tomorrow, and also asked a few more questions and answer a couple too. Alas, I ended up finding out that my mom was first advised to have this procedure a little over ten years ago, but her current doctor did assure her (and me) that her interim actions were OK too. -She got second and third opinions back then.

I do have to say that it's a little unsettling knowing that the doctors will sort of have to play it by ear during tomorrow's procedures since they won't really know what they're dealing with until the procedure is under way. She will be prepped starting at 5:00am, and then she'll move to the ER at 7:00am. Due to the nature of the surgery, there's nothing that "we" can do during that time.  They will check in with my Dad at 1:00. So, I will probably just sleep in tomorrow morning and then head over around Noon.

In the meantime, I'm going to head back out around 6:00 and head over to Carytown for a stroll and some window-shopping. And maybe a $1.99 movie at The Byrd Theater.  Oh, and Bev's Ice Cream. :)

DR Jose, don't be concerned about the "We won't know until we get in there".  They told my parents the same thing. When my dad went in they discovered he needed 5 bypasses instead of the 2 or 3 they thought they would have to do.  But, it all turned out fine and that was....gees, DR Samantha's 10th birthday, I think, so it's been awhile and he's doing great.  There are just some things that can't tell from the outside even with all the modern technology.   Continuing prayers and vibes to your mom and family~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kerry

« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »

I shall never understand why Leopold & Loeb didn't have as many hits as Meltz & Ernest.

I thought the same thing and was this close to posting it.    We are kindred spirits after all.    :>)

They got caught.
I like boat races.

singdaw

« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »

DR Cillaliz - I do know that the "wait and see" approach is the standard procedure, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »

One of my all-time favorite film composers has passed away, the great Neal Hefti.  He had a great eighty-six year run.  I shall now play the soundtrack to Barefoot In The Park, my personal favorite of his scores.

He wrote so many things I loved!!!   Awww.......
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

der Brucer

Would we have to learn French? :)

der Brucer

Only if we adopt Canadian French holidays.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »

Kerry

« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

Well, my Mom's doctor just came and left.  He explained how things will work tomorrow, and also asked a few more questions and answer a couple too. Alas, I ended up finding out that my mom was first advised to have this procedure a little over ten years ago, but her current doctor did assure her (and me) that her interim actions were OK too. -She got second and third opinions back then.

I do have to say that it's a little unsettling knowing that the doctors will sort of have to play it by ear during tomorrow's procedures since they won't really know what they're dealing with until the procedure is under way. She will be prepped starting at 5:00am, and then she'll move to the ER at 7:00am. Due to the nature of the surgery, there's nothing that "we" can do during that time.  They will check in with my Dad at 1:00. So, I will probably just sleep in tomorrow morning and then head over around Noon.

In the meantime, I'm going to head back out around 6:00 and head over to Carytown for a stroll and some window-shopping. And maybe a $1.99 movie at The Byrd Theater.  Oh, and Bev's Ice Cream. :)

Ice cream for all!  Jose's Mom would like that.  I understand your frustration, Jose, and will keep the best of thoughts and vibes. 
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

TOD - I grew up in Estherville, IA home of Swinging Bridges http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=1645 They were cool, and were much more rickety when I was a kid.  There were always loose boards and it was always a dare to cross them while someone else shook them.

I loved going to the soda fountain at Rexall drug where Edna served the cherry Pepsi.  Lyon's Pastry had fabulous doughnuts. I'm sure they had more than that, but I remember the doughnuts the most.  We had The Grand Theater. It was a vaudville-type theater in its day, but its day was over long before I came a long.  We used to sneak up into the balcony (It wasn't usually open) it was a cool old theater and I loved it
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up