Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MY USUAL SELF  (Read 29158 times)

Jennifer

Re:MY USUAL SELF
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2004, 08:08:51 AM »

It's a cinch one of the judges will pick Leah from last night as a wild card. I thought Lisa from last week was more talented than Leah, so I hope someone else remembers her. Matthew Metzger was the fella from the first show who finished third. I did not think he had a very versatile voice, at least not in the song he sang that night, but both he and Jon seem to be audience favorites so one of them might very well be the audience wild card selection.

I'm trying to remember how the selection works for the Wild Card show.

I think maybe we are talking about 2 different things. I'm just talking about which 8-12 contestants will make the Wild Card show (not which 4 will advance to the finals from the wild card).

How do they choose the wild card contestants?  Does each judge get choose 3 or 4?

I think last year EVERY third place votee advanced to the wild card show (meaning matthew, lisa and jon).

I think the judges were very happy with last night's group. So more from there should advance.

I think the most interesting will be who they choose (who weren't in the top 32).  This is the first year that they've shown extensive audition footage. So we actually know a lot more about contestants who didn't make it to the top 32.

The Wild card show is actually my favorite show.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2004, 08:17:27 AM »

If you noticed in the previews last night, George Huff has replaced the semifinalist who was arrested on Monday for drunk driving/speeding (100 m.p.h.). George was not one of the original 32 semifinalists.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2004, 08:22:31 AM »

Haven't had a chance to catch up on yesterday's late posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but was anyone else disappointed in last night's American Masters on Judy?  Maybe I'm over-critical, having spent a couple of years researching Judy for my Judy/Frances musical, but there was SO much fascinating information they either didn't mention or completely glossed over.  Also, although Isabel Keating was quite good (though not quite on) as Judy, why didn't they use the original recordings of Judy, which are available (they were one of my sources for my show).  I could understand using "voice talent" (although it wasn't disclosed as such until the end credits) for some of the rest of the people, but Judy's original spoken recordings are so much more interesting than Isabel reciting a line here, a line there from them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 08:23:36 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 08:25:06 AM »

Atlanta Journal

der Brucer (Oooch!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2004, 08:25:39 AM »

Holy moley on rye, I missed Lent.  I was so busy trying to figure out what to give up for Lent that I missed Lent.  I thought Lent was a Friday thing, I had no idea it was a Wednesday thing.

JMK

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 08:26:27 AM »

BK, Lent is a 40 day thing.  You have plenty of time.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2004, 08:29:27 AM »

MBARNUM: When and if you see this, just wanted to apologize if it seemed as if I were ignoring your query from a couple of days ago.  I just now saw it!  You see, I have been making a concerted effort to greatly reduce the amount of time I spend (waste) on the internet, so I only make it here (and everywhere online) occasionally now.  

How great to find a fellow MSTie here!

In answer to your question, some of my favorite eps are:

Manos: The Hands of Fate   (an unforgettable experience, especially the first time you see it,  little suspecting the horror that awaits.  Undoubtedly my favorite film ever made by an El Paso fertilizer salesman.)

Tormented     (a great episode, and Susan Gordon is in it, to boot!)

Bride of the Monster      (Ed Wood, Jr. and MST3K...a match made in heaven.)

Catalina Caper     (a change of pace for Joel and the 'bots as they riff on a wacky '60s caper comedy starring Tommy Kirk and "Creepy Girl.")

Teenagers from Outer Space     (featuring Derek, the sensitive space alien.)

Crash of the Moons and Manhunt in Space      (the episodes that started our Rocky Jones obsession.  AND old General Hospital episodes, to boot!  Just can't get enough of Nurse Jessie and Phil!)

Children's songs, eh?  Hmmmmmmm...

Chim-Chim Cheree
Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)
Mockingbird Hill      (okay, okay...it's not specifically a children's song, but I had fun singing it to my little nephew. :) )

Wow...I just can't think of any more right now.  Hope others have greater success than I.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2004, 08:33:08 AM »

JMK: I just caught the last 40 minutes of the Judy special this morning.  

I, too, found it a bit jarring that they used a vocal stand-in for Judy (I realized it right away, so I don't know that it was a big problem that they didn't credit it 'til the end.  I think the vast majority of people would realize right away that's not her voice).  I assumed that perhaps she was quoted (in print) as saying those things, but they didn't have a voice recording.  If that is not the case, and they actually had a voice recording of Judy saying those things, then their choice to use a stand-in is doubly perplexing.

I thought it was all right, but too worshipful towards her.  The point of view was the same as Judy's apparently was - that her husbands, friends, and family were all supposed to "protect her" from the big bad world, and failed to do so.  This is not only unfair to all those people who came into contact with Judy in her lifetime, but reduces the complex and deeply troubled woman who is interesting precisely because of her personal demons.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

JMK

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2004, 08:37:30 AM »

Lulu, they actually credited Isabel up front (no doubt because of Boy from Oz)--it was everyone else they didn't identify until the end credits.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2004, 08:37:36 AM »

If you noticed in the previews last night, George Huff has replaced the semifinalist who was arrested on Monday for drunk driving/speeding (100 m.p.h.). George was not one of the original 32 semifinalists.

I heard about the contestant who had gotten arrested. But I didn't remember his name. So when I saw George I just assumed he was the guy.  Thanks for mentioning this.

I wonder if next week's grouping will be weak. Do you know how they decide the groupings? Is it random? Or do they need a certain amount of men or women in each group?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2004, 08:37:46 AM »

Lent is forty days?  Isn't that rather a long time for something?

JMK

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2004, 08:41:34 AM »

BK, Re: 40 days being a long time for something--so what are you saying--Moses should have stopped in the desert to ask for directions??   ::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2004, 08:50:57 AM »

Isn't the Catholic Church behind the 40 day Lent period?  I guess if it's good enough for Noah . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2004, 08:52:32 AM »

Elmore--the Catholic church is behind EVERYTHING--including altar boys (sorry).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2004, 09:10:28 AM »

When Catholics perform A Chorus Line do they change Dance: Ten, Looks: Three to "Fish and loaves"?

Do they sing, "What I Did For Lent"?

Is the opening refrain, "I really need this Lent, please God I need this Lent, I've got to get this Lent"

Do they sing, "Everything was beautiful at the altar, cross yourself, and then confess your sins"

Is the finale, "Christ, singular sensation, Jesus really was the best"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2004, 09:11:31 AM »

Forty days?  Don't some consider that a Golden Wedding Anniversary for gay couples?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2004, 09:15:35 AM »

The only problem I had with the "American Masters" show on Garland was the glossing over of the truth about how Judy became "Dorothy".  It was NOT because Louis B. Mayer had faith in "their" Judy.  It was because Fox's demands for Shirley Temple were more than Mayer was willing to give.  I've read this many times.  One of the things Fox required was the services of Clark Gable, plus another MGM star.  Mayer was only willing to offer the "other" MGM star.  Fox had the number one boxoffice draw and would not yield.

And thank goodness.

I think it's pretty evident that MGM created the Garland it later criticized and cut loose.  The studio was a pusher AND pimp.  It did horrendous things to Garland and then bullied, berated and betrayed her when all the abuse took its toll.

I did not get a sense that Garland felt she was owed anything more than she deserved.  MGM promoted loyalty and family, and then refused to return the gesture.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 09:22:33 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »

DR RLP - I hope you have read Scott Schecter's book Judy Garland DAY BY DAY....a sort of diary of her life.  It is fascinating.

I did not realize until I read that book, that Ethel had those girls out on the road EVERY WEEKEND and EVERY VACATION and EVERY SUMMER - they were never home....they were out singing.  

And of course back then it was a six-day week at the studio.   It makes me tired just to read about what she had to do!  And don't forget the radio show after you shoot all day, Miss Garland!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2004, 09:29:35 AM »

Haven't had a chance to catch up on yesterday's late posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but was anyone else disappointed in last night's American Masters on Judy?  Maybe I'm over-critical, having spent a couple of years researching Judy for my Judy/Frances musical, but there was SO much fascinating information they either didn't mention or completely glossed over.  Also, although Isabel Keating was quite good (though not quite on) as Judy, why didn't they use the original recordings of Judy, which are available (they were one of my sources for my show).  I could understand using "voice talent" (although it wasn't disclosed as such until the end credits) for some of the rest of the people, but Judy's original spoken recordings are so much more interesting than Isabel reciting a line here, a line there from them.

This is from yesterday's NY Times:

The quality of the tapes was terrible, said Susan Lacy, the executive producer of "American Masters," so Garland's words were read by Isabel Keating, who plays her in the Broadway musical "The Boy From Oz."

I too was a little disappointed. The first-person material from the tapes was the highlight of the program, but I had expected many more excerpts. I thought there should have been more from Judy's perspective, and found much of the material repetitive from  Me and My Shadows.

I liked Isabel Keating. I saw The Boy From Oz when it first opened, and IK sounds more comfortable now than she did then.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2004, 09:34:36 AM »

DR JOSE I love "Ice Castles."  

Hmmmmmmm....first song that came to my mind was Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack sung by Miss Debbie Reynolds!
Just for you, Jrand53, I'm going one of these days to scan the darling photo of Miss Panni with Miss Debbie Reynolds. Then I'll e-mail it to you and you can post it. Aren't you just too too thrilled at the prospect?

JMK

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2004, 09:36:56 AM »

Well, all I can say is, the tapes I have of Judy are perfectly listenable, and are more riveting than any of the excerpts heard last night.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2004, 09:41:34 AM »

I was out last night, Dear Readers, and regret that I was unable to join in the vibrant political discussions that took place here.  It feels good knowing that my point of view on the subject of the moment is shared by all the Hainesies and Kimlets who chimed in last night.

I was E&T because I went to a screening of a cute little film called Showboy.  This is a very low budget picture (shot on digital video) about a young man who, after being fired as a writer on Six Feet Under, pursues his dream of becoming a dancer in a Las Vegas show.  Shot in mockumentary style, with most of the dialogue improvised, the film contains a good deal of cleverness and humor.  There are some great scenes with Siegfried and Roy (it obviously was filmed before Roy's run-in with the tiger) and Whoopi Goldberg and there's a great running gag involving a cocker spaniel.

Showboy has been making the rounds of the gay film festivals for the last two years and has finally been picked up for distribution.  It opens in New York at the end of March and elsewhere in April.  I recommend you see it when it comes to your neighborhood art cinema house.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2004, 09:44:02 AM »

Favorite children's song:  "The Hokey Pokey."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »

But it was actually not written for children, but the rather adult musical, Let 'Em Ride.  (I don't mean in the x-rated sense.)  My appreciation for this song, expressed a year ago on ratm, sent the Scourge of Ratm, Stephen Newport, into such a lather he started bad-mouthing me on animal rights newsgroups (!).  He  sees malicious torture where it ain't, and misses it in his own behavior.

Noel, that's why it's so much fun to poke him with a stick once in a while, especially with cruel animal jokes.  Anyone know any I can use on ratm?

There's always something wrong with America, right?  A president gets to look at the country, with all its problems, and prioritize, proclaiming: "This is what I want to fix."  Does anybody believe that what's wrong with America today is gay marriage?  And, a few years ago, the inheritance tax?  His father passed only one piece of major domestic legislation (the disabilities act) and was decried for "the vision thing."  But looking at America today and thinking "We need to ban gay marriages in the constitution" goes beyond myopia.

As I posted last night, I think that this is an empty threat.  It's the idea that this bozo is trying to use it as an election issue that I find horrendous!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2004, 09:46:15 AM »

Good morning!

I actually only ended up watching the first 15 minutes or so of the Judy Garland show last night.  -A friend of mine IMed me and asked if I'd like to come over and hang out and go through some new music he had just bought, so...  But...  I did notice that besides identifying Isabelle Keating as the voice of Judy Garland in the opening, that "Actor" was identified as the voice of Burton Lane (I think) the first time the "label" appeared on the screen.  Oh, wait, it was the voice of the radio announcer that was identified as "Actor".  In any case...

BK - You're Catholic version of A Chorus Line has brought back that "sneaky smile" to my face.  You know the type - I want to laugh, but I know that I shouldn't laugh... so I just smile.  Having been raised Catholic, and been educated in Catholic schools...  I feel like I'm back in that day in Religion class where Father Cilinski was giving the boys the "sex talk", and was drawing the parts of the male and female reproductive system on the chalkboard!  Let's just say his artistic skills either majorly intimidated or encouraged his rapt audience.  ;D

Topic of the Day:  Children's Songs
"On Top of Old Smoky"
"On Top of Spaghetti" - I preferred this version.
"John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" - If you want to drive your bus-driver crazy... "LA-LA-LA, LA-LA-LA-LA"
"The Eensy-Weensy Spider"
"The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" - I think this is another one of those "Mary, Merry, Marry" instances. ;)

From my sixth grade music class:
"Thumbelina", "Inchworm", "Wonderful Copenhagen"

"I Love the Mountains..."  - Mainly for the "Boom-dee-a-dah, Boom-dee-a-dah..." section.  -And it wasn't until years later that I realized this went with "Mountain Greenery" - Hey, it wasn't in our music book!?!?  -I think...???

And I know it's definitely not a children's song, but I was hooked on the Theme from M*A*S*H* "Suicide is Painless".  It was one of the first - if not the first - piece of sheet music I ever bought.  And I even played it - and sang(!) it - for the sixth grade talent show.

OH!!!!  And I also loved the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations"!!!  It was always fun "guessing" how long the break would be after "Aaaahhhhh"...... "Good, good, good... Good Vibrations..."

:D

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2004, 09:46:17 AM »

DR PANNI - that would give me "This Happy Feeling."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2004, 09:48:19 AM »

When Catholics perform A Chorus Line
If we're bringing the the crucified Rabbi into it (JC, that is) you'll have to call it A Tsurris Line.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2004, 09:49:45 AM »

BK, Lent is a 40 day thing.  You have plenty of time.  :)

But those 40 days are not consecutive: LENT is only weekdays, the Sundays don't count!

der Brucer (Helping Jews explain Lent to other Jews -Oy!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2004, 09:51:28 AM »

If we're bringing the the crucified Rabbi into it (JC, that is) you'll have to call it A Tsurris Line.

I came this close to groaning on that one, Dear Reader Panni.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2004, 09:53:10 AM »

Holy moley on rye, I missed Lent.  I was so busy trying to figure out what to give up for Lent that I missed Lent.  I thought Lent was a Friday thing, I had no idea it was a Wednesday thing.

You know, that sounds like a line from Linus in a Peanuts special--It's Ash Wednesday, Charlie Brown.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up