Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE  (Read 27472 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »

re: the Debra Messing show THE STARTER WIFE

It's premiering here tonight and i was wondering if anybody here watched it or has seen it? Does it sound like something i might like?  Thanks.

How on earth would anyone here be able to know that?  I hate loathe despise Debra Messing, so "The Starter Wife" is not something I would like, and I know that without requiring anyone else's input.

Take a chance and watch an episode.  Only you can decide.

I disagree. I can see the kinds of shows that others here watch and know whether i think something would be their cup of tea.

I was mostly just curious if anybody here watched the show and liked it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2008, 12:13:27 PM »

Definition according to Wikipedia: A shopping mall or shopping centre is a building or set of buildings that contain retail units, with interconnecting walkways enabling visitors to easily walk from unit to unit.

My first mall was in Century City. It was fairly charming outdoor mall when it first opened up.  While still an open air shopping center it has grown tremendously since the early days.  There was one main department store, Broadway, in the center with wonderful small shops all around.  Now there is a major theater complex, multiple major department store, far more shops & restaurants.  Century City has grown incredibly, the shopping center is now surrounded by tall building, hotels, & gated communities. 

The first enclosed mall I can remember is the Northridge Mall.

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »

RE: last night's ELI STONE.

I also loved it.

I had no opinion about whether i would enjoy katie holmes before the episode. but like DR MattH, I loved katie in the role of grace. I really hope she returns. The role was wonderful!

Jane

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »

Places like that belong off of freeway exits, that do not take traffic through neighborhoods.

Well, down here there is little choice - there is only one road through town; the Outlet Malls are smack dab on the highway. (I might add that the when the Malls were built, there were no "neighborhoods" (the outlets were built on farmland) - "neighborhoods" came later. The Malls are destination shopping points for folks who bus in from Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
(The low-cost sales-tax free cigarettes are also a big attraction!)

der Brucer

At least the neighborhoods came after & the people knew what they were buying, not the other way around.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Safe Travel Vibes for DR edisaurus! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep them property closing vibes coming as well, DRs! I'm getting tired of waiting for nirvana.

I saw NIRVANA in concert while Kurt was still alive.  Oh wait, maybe that was THE BEACH BOYS.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »

I must be on my way to rehearsal - CDs did arrive, and I got all the single orders in their packages, but ran out of time to do any of the other postage.  So, I'm planning on being back at three sharp to do the rest of the postage, and then take all the stuff to USPS and the five big boxes to the UPS Store, and then immediately deliver the box of 100 over in Reseda.  Whew!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Due to everyone(!) showing up on time for their audition slots today, we ended up finishing about 30 minutes early, so I was able to take a short, semi-leisurely walk in midtown before hopping on the train back uptown.  I would have walked around a bit longer, but the cooler(!) temps have definitely settled in for the day.  Now I'm just waiting for the snow.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »

Did anyone watch HOUSE last night?  We are missing the first 13 minutes of the show.  Our Directv connection had to be re-started.  It took so long we missed the beginning of HOUSE.  Half way through the re-start process (which states every minute or so "just a few more seconds" "we are almost there") it began the process all over again.  Needless to say "a few more seconds" lasted at least 20 minutes.

Before we watch HOUSE it would be nice to know what we missed, might make things less confusing ;)

Ben

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

I know it's a press release and nothing may come of it but this just in from Playbill On-Line

Promises, Promises

It was the first Broadway musical I ever saw (on Broadway). It was 1971 and Tony Roberts was playing C.C. Baxter and Jenny O'Hara (sister of Jill who originated the part) played Fran Kubelik.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »

In other news...

I think I may take a nap, but I have a feeling that if I do grab a few winks, I'll end up grabbing a few more than I should.  I'm meeting a friend - not that friend - for dinner at 6:30, and then we're finally catching "Vicky Christina Barcelona" before it leaves town.  Again, we'll see.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES

TO E AN T DR BOO-KEY!

“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »

DR Jane - To answer your question from the other night:  Possibly tomorrow night. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, D(E&T)R CASON!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

First really really big mall I went to when I was growing up in Brooklyn was Kings Plaza at Flatbush Avenue and Avenue U.  It took a while to get there by two busses, but it was a great place to spend an afternoon, see a movie or two, and find bargains.  And Cooky's all-you-can-eat was the delightful start of my battle with weight.  :)

There were a couple of blocks of stores which might be called malls near where I lived, one by Trump Village and one by Luna Park.  They called themselves shopping centers, but they looked like what i think of as strip malls.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

WISHES TO DR 3-D!
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »

Re: Malls

The one here in FArgo is pretty good and has only a couple of holes. However the one in Moorhead is half empty. Many of the big box stores want to be stand alones or connected to a stripmall.

Malls are hit and miss for me. MOA in the twin cities is WAY too big for me. I do like the Maplewood, Burnsville and Rosedale malls in the twin cities.

The Mall that Vixmom is talking about is not your usual retail Mall - it is an Outlet Mall that specializes in Brand Name manufacturers (mainly apparel) who have stores that deeply discount their merchandise. They do not have big name Big Box stores, or chain department store anchors. They do not rely on the locals as a major customer base - they depend on "destination shoppers" who will travel for the bargains. We have a major Tanger Outlet Mall here in the Rehoboth area (within walking distance of our house in the woods). The Mall hosts dozens of buses that ferry in out-of-staters for a day of tax-free discount shopping. The Mall has no Cinemas and no restaurants.

der Brucer

Ahhh, outlet malls like the one they have in Albertville, MN... They do have a couple of coffee shops and a sub shop there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:50:19 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »

Hello Ann, I hope you are feeling better and Master Toby is doing well...

HI Dakota!  I'm feeling much better, thank you.  Tobers is still dealing with some spitting up issues, but I think that has more to do with how much milk he's guzzling during a feeding, and how much extra air he's swallowing each time.  He and I have been sleeping upright in a recliner for the last two nights, and it seems to help him.  Hopefully he'll grow out of this soon.

I hope he will too...

Just wait he will have you running top speed in a few short months...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »

Places like that belong off of freeway exits, that do not take traffic through neighborhoods.

Well, down here there is little choice - there is only one road through town; the Outlet Malls are smack dab on the highway. (I might add that the when the Malls were built, there were no "neighborhoods" (the outlets were built on farmland) - "neighborhoods" came later. The Malls are destination shopping points for folks who bus in from Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
(The low-cost sales-tax free cigarettes are also a big attraction!)

der Brucer

THe one here in FArgo is not necessarily a tax break but it was a huge destination shopping point in North dakota for years and it also drew shoppers from Western MN. It was open wheat fields when it was built in the 70s and the rest of fargo has grown around it.

Intersting thing about West Acres or Wasted Acres as the locals call it with the exception of Pennys, Sears, Macys {formerly Dayton-Hudson then Marshall Fields} and Herbergers (formerly DeLendrecies), the rest of the big Box stores like Kohls and Target are right near by.  Many of the stores in the mall are more geared to teenyboppers such as Aeropostale, LAGap, Wetseal and several others. There are somethings I have seen in Wetseal I would not want to be caught dead in.

I do like some things that Eddie Bauer carries --- when and if it is on the clearance rack...

Funny right behind the mall and Best Buy is Savers.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »

Open air malls have some issues up here due to the climate....

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

The first mall I recall was THE MEDFORD SHOPPING CENTER. Don't know when it opened, but it was sometime in the early 60s.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »

I found Mall of America too big for my liking... Four floors of shopping, an amusement parkand so forth. Heck each floor had at least one Bloomies or Macys, god knows how many Hollister and Aeropostale and the like. However there was one shop I liked: Irish Indeed!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »

I also liked Eaton Place in Winnepeg.

South Forks Plaza was the first one I went to and that was built in early 70s. Columbia Mall followed a few years later and was the place to be in the 80s

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

MBarnum, the local indian student association is having bollywood night on campus, you coming?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »

Did anyone watch HOUSE last night?  We are missing the first 13 minutes of the show. 
Before we watch HOUSE it would be nice to know what we missed, might make things less confusing ;)

Thirteen brings a woman, Spencer home with her and they have sex. Afterward, Thirteen goes to the bathroom and talks to Spencer in the other room. They're interrupted when Spencer falls out of bed, convulsing. Thirteen calls the EMTs who take Spencer to the hospital ER where Cameron admits her. Thirteen admits she doesn't know Spencer's name. Cameron brings the case to House, but he's busy playing a practical joke on Wilson. He goes into Wilson's office and finds him lying on the floor. House asks why Wilson was late and he claims he was meeting with someone for breakfast, but then eats a doughnut. Ecstasy doesn't account for the symptoms and House discovers that Thirteen knows about the case because she was with Spencer at 3 a.m.

In differential, House is interested in Thirteen's downward spiral and whether she was using drugs. Thirteen insists that Spencer has visited four other doctors who have found nothing, and she's just a hypochondriac who drinks too much. House orders Thirteen to take a bone marrow sample and goes along with her. Spencer cheerfully talks about her sexual affair with Thirteen.

House wants Lucas to investigate Wilson, noting he never eats a doughnut after a big breakfast. Lucas figures House is worried that something changed, but House tells him to check Wilson out.

MORE HERE

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »

Provo Town Center is nice also. Very light and airy with a lot of natural sunlight

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »

As for Malls...

I don't mind the big outlet malls, however, I do miss the days when an "outlet mall" was a true "outlet mall".  Nowadays, most of the stores/chains in outlet malls are actually "lower end" versions of their namesake(?).  Heck, even Old Navy - a.k.a. "The Disposable Clothing Store" - has their own version and brand of outlet mall clothing.  They no longer really carry the post-season and discontinued merchandise from their main stores.  The clothing is manufactured - and labeled - for the outlet malls.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

I too would love to live in Portland, but alas I am poor and can only afford Salem.

Maybe if you didn't live in Salem, you wouldn't be poor.  Maybe if you lived in India and roamed the streets in one of your many saris, you might, at this very moment, be a huge Bollywood star.  Or possibly a Bombay drag queen.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »

The first mall I can remember is the original Tysons Corner in Tysons Corner/Fairfax, VA.  It was "HUGE".  Of course, years later, after two major remodelings/overhauls - including adding a second level(!) - it really is HUGE now.  Alas, I miss the Farrell's.  ;)

There are no real malls here in New York City, however, there is something called the "Broadway Mall" a block or two from Macy's, and, frankly, I have no desire to set foot in there.  It's just a collection of stores that already have locations elsewhere in the city.  -Some of them even have storefronts in the Mall, and then another location a block or two away.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »

DR Jane - You can watch last night's "House" online HERE.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

As for Malls...

I don't mind the big outlet malls, however, I do miss the days when an "outlet mall" was a true "outlet mall".  Nowadays, most of the stores/chains in outlet malls are actually "lower end" versions of their namesake(?).  Heck, even Old Navy - a.k.a. "The Disposable Clothing Store" - has their own version and brand of outlet mall clothing.  They no longer really carry the post-season and discontinued merchandise from their main stores.  The clothing is manufactured - and labeled - for the outlet malls.

I had to laugh at old navy last summer. I was in the one in GF with my neice and she waned to by a pair of denim cut off shorts. The store was selling them for 24.99. I told her she was crazy and it was cheaper to go to the thrift store and buy a pair, then make them into cut-offs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up