Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG PLAY  (Read 25559 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: LONG PLAY
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »

As I've stated previously, I liked the original (running time) of Les Miserables.  -Even the stuff after the death of Javert.  ;)

The current revivals of Gypsy and South Pacific clock in at about two hours and 50 minutes each.  Neither of them seems "long" to me.

I'm interested to see and hear what happens to Billy Elliot this week.  Apparently, they are also cutting that show down in order to run under the three hour/overtime mark.

I used to think that operas, in general, were long. Once I started attending them on a semi-regular basis, I realized that most of the running time was "extended" to due intermission lengths of 20-30 minutes.  -And if you happen to have a three- or four-act-er with multiple intermissions, well, that just adds to the duration of the evening.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »

Druxy, you better hope and pray you have a cold and not the dreaded flu.

Well, something tells me that if DR Druxy does indeed have the flu, that he will be sensible and will rest and eat regularly instead of running out and about... possibly spreading whatever bug he has to anyone he comes in contact with.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »

I resemble those remarks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

I was a good boy for at least five days - where I did almost nothing but stay home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

I suppose I shall now get ready to be on my way to the USPS and then a rehearsal.  From rehearsal, I go to the mail place, then home, then if I'm feeling like it, the long jog, then boxing up the last of the orders, then Reseda.  I don't have to brave the traffic tonight - we're meeting at two-fifteen tomorrow right here at my house.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »

I was a good boy for at least five days - where I did almost nothing but stay home.

But that was only after you had been sick for almost two weeks.  Not before. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »

I may have missed the post about the testy e-mail from the cabaret singer - what was the testy e-mail - what post was it?

On October 20th, Elmo posted:

I also just got a testy email from one of the two cabaret singers because I sent a copy of the invoice again. I had honestly thought he he had requested the invoice in September because he was sending some money, but clearly I was mistaken.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »

Movies I'd love to watch in the next few days:

The Bishop's Wife
Son of Fury
The Mark of Zorro
The Prisoner of Zenda
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »

I caught up on some shows in my DVR cache....among them was "Fringe."

Wow!  A very enjoyable episode with a great story line and excellent writing.  The Joshua Jackson-John Noble interaction/action/reaction was exactly right and Jackson actually got to do something worthwhile for a change.  It held my attention from the "git-go", and I was sorry to see it end.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:17 AM »

Hmmm...I just walked eight blocks to go to Democratic headquarters to pick up two Obama lawn signs and schlepped them back (assembled--that was all they had), only to discover that there is a table around the corner from my office that is also giving them away. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »

I may have missed the post about the testy e-mail from the cabaret singer - what was the testy e-mail - what post was it?

Several days ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »

Hmmm...I just walked eight blocks to go to Democratic headquarters to pick up two Obama lawn signs and schlepped them back (assembled--that was all they had), only to discover that there is a table around the corner from my office that is also giving them away. 

I found the effort of locating an Obama-biden button in this City really a challenge; I finally went to the Democratic website to order a t-shirt and a button.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »

So, today I've got some BABES IN TOYLAND libretto work on Act Three almost finished, then a bit of score layouts for the STUDENT PRINCE medley, and then back to THE MOST HAPPY FELA. My God, there is a lot of music in the First Act!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »

So, today I've got some BABES IN TOYLAND libretto work on Act Three almost finished, then a bit of score layouts for the STUDENT PRINCE medley, and then back to THE MOST HAPPY FELA. My God, there is a lot of music in the First Act!

THE MOST HAPPY FEDERAL EMPLOYERS LIABILITY ACT?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »

I saw a very interesting commercial/promo for this Sunday's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Apparently they are going to fill us in on everything that happened during the last 5 years. It looked very interesting.

Laura

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »

This morning my DH dropped me off at the airport and I walked to Wal*Mart a few miles away to get some Fancy Feast for Sassy.

Don't I live an exciting life?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »

I found the effort of locating an Obama-biden button in this City really a challenge; I finally went to the Democratic website to order a t-shirt and a button.

Umm... DR elmore - You do realize that there's an Obama "storefront" just a couple of blocks north of you on Broadway.  -And there are tons of items available up around Columbia University.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »

Well... My Mom's blood levels are still on the "cautious" side, so they're keeping her in the hospital for at least another day.  Apparently, the blood thinners are not metabolizing through her system fast enough.  -Or something like that.  My Dad (and my Mom) were sketching on the details.  So...  I just hope that she's back home by the time I head down there again this weekend, but if she's not, then at least I know I'll be there to help her get settled back in her own home.

*And I could definitely tell that my Mom is starting to get a bit antsy being cooped up in the hospital for over a week.  -But that's a good sign. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »

DR George, anyone who would take Blitzstein's wonderful THREEPENNY OPERA adaptation and replace his singable lyrcis with another's is an oaf. Do it or don't do it, but don't screw with it. If it weren't for Marc Blitzstein, there most likely would have been no major interest in Brecht or Weill in this country for a much longer time. His lyrics may not be as dirty as some of these morons who think Brecht is just filthy German slang would like, but instead - because of the time they were written - they're sly and funnier than Brecht ever could be. The other thing about THREEPENNY OPERA is that it's funny, a comedy with songs taken from an 18th-Century satire; it isn't a Third-Reich indictment or a rougher version of CABARET. The last revival at Roundabout, and the 1976 Public Theatre production, suffered from the same problem.

I will admit that there was a lot of humor in the show.  I have THIS recording that used a new translation, and I think it might be what they used last night, but I'm not sure.  The program only lists Mark Blitzstein as the translator.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2008, 11:43:36 AM »

Umm... DR elmore - You do realize that there's an Obama "storefront" just a couple of blocks north of you on Broadway.  -And there are tons of items available up around Columbia University.

Clearly not.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

DR elmore - Do you have dinner plans for tonight?  A certain compact, Chinese choreographer said she may be up for dinner tonight after her rehearsal.   ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »

DR George, anyone who would take Blitzstein's wonderful THREEPENNY OPERA adaptation and replace his singable lyrcis with another's is an oaf. Do it or don't do it, but don't screw with it. If it weren't for Marc Blitzstein, there most likely would have been no major interest in Brecht or Weill in this country for a much longer time. His lyrics may not be as dirty as some of these morons who think Brecht is just filthy German slang would like, but instead - because of the time they were written - they're sly and funnier than Brecht ever could be. The other thing about THREEPENNY OPERA is that it's funny, a comedy with songs taken from an 18th-Century satire; it isn't a Third-Reich indictment or a rougher version of CABARET. The last revival at Roundabout, and the 1976 Public Theatre production, suffered from the same problem.

I will admit that there was a lot of humor in the show.  I have THIS recording that used a new translation, and I think it might be what they used last night, but I'm not sure.  The program only lists Mark Blitzstein as the translator.

And when they do that, they do Marc Blitzstein a disservice snce he can be blamed for things he didn't do. They might have used the Mannheim-Willett version from 1976. The interesting thing about Blitzstein's work is that when his lyrics are really good, they're better than Brecht's, certainly funnier - and there are only a few occasions when they don't land as well as Brecht's - but he manages every point and entendre Brecht makes without resulting to major profanity or grossness.

I suppose in 1954 with the rightwing throwing the word "communist" around and McCarthy dragging his enemies off to hearings, we're lucky Blitzstein got as raunchy as he did. I've always wanted to go down to the Kurt Weill Foundation and read his original text before he had to make major cuts right before the Theatre de Lys opening (see my friend Eric Gordon's Blitzstein bio Mark the Music for more on the off-Broadway and recording problems and a wonderful essay on the Blitzstein version, "The World Is Mean," by Judith Johnson Sherwin in Virginia Quarterly Review, XXXV, 1959, and Peter Bauland's The Hooded Eagle: Modern German Drama on the American Stage).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:57:47 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

DR elmore - Do you have dinner plans for tonight?  A certain compact, Chinese choreographer said she may be up for dinner tonight after her rehearsal.   ;)

Already booked, and I'd love to see her!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »

[/quote]

I also don't think any recording of THREEPENNY OPERA or Die Dreigroscenoper has a cast as good or as vibrant as that 1954 recording, even with its laundered lyrics, which Blitzstein was forced to do on the spot since the MGM recording personel were horrified by many of the lyrics. We're still due for a great cast, unfettered Blitzstein recording.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »

Got my review copy of QUO VADIS today.  All I can say is I think we're in for another BK rant.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »

Aquo Vadis--my dad used that after-shave.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

DR Tomovoz, how shocking!  Vibes for your good friends Allan & Carol.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »

Wonder what comments Woody would get with this propped-up at his register:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

Got my review copy of QUO VADIS today.  All I can say is I think we're in for another BK rant.  ;)

Does Rome have Smoggy skies and the Vestal Virgin's Nubian skin tones?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »

DR Kerry-FOOT VIBES!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up