Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG PLAY  (Read 25580 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LONG PLAY
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

I have told the FF Day people I will not be attending since they are already re-jiggering their presentation since this person will be there.

It seems to me you're missing out on a golden opportunity to set the record straight in the presence of the person who set it awry in the first place.

It may send a message different from the one you intend.

There is no "opportunity" at all due to the way it's structured.
I have told the FF Day people I will not be attending since they are already re-jiggering their presentation since this person will be there.

It seems to me you're missing out on a golden opportunity to set the record straight in the presence of the person who set it awry in the first place.

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were staying away "because" this person would be there.

I too was confused about that.  Either way, sorry it didn't work out.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »

Wonder what comments Woody would get with this propped-up at his register:

der Brucer

It's a good read, and been mentioned here on HHW a few times.

*Did DR SWW see the article in yesterday's NY Times' Dining and Wine section about the Fall batch of cookbooks?  -a.k.a. "The Christmas List".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »

Hmmm...I just walked eight blocks to go to Democratic headquarters to pick up two Obama lawn signs and schlepped them back (assembled--that was all they had), only to discover that there is a table around the corner from my office that is also giving them away. 

;D  I hope it was a nice day for a walk.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »

DR Jose, I'm sorry your mother is still stuck in the hospital.  I think it is great the hospital is taking such good care of her & not sending her home too soon.

Continued good health vibes for her!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »

Hmmm...I just walked eight blocks to go to Democratic headquarters to pick up two Obama lawn signs and schlepped them back (assembled--that was all they had), only to discover that there is a table around the corner from my office that is also giving them away. 

;D  I hope it was a nice day for a walk.

Actually, it's a bee-yoo-ti-full fall day here, DR Jane, so I have no right to complain.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

Aquo Vadis--my dad used that after-shave.

Dan Vadis...he made a lot of Hercules films.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »

I am sleep today. Tonight I am going to Tin Tin Buffet with newly-commited Ron and Patrick.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

Well, before I end up taking an unintended nap, I'm gonna head out and run some errands.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »

Got my review copy of QUO VADIS today.  All I can say is I think we're in for another BK rant.  ;)

Don't tell me. It's too brown.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »

so it's on me and it looks like after delivering the CDs to Reseda, I'll be braving the downtown traffic to go to USC to pick this stuff up.  We could try to meet tomorrow, after two, but it will depend on where.  That might be the better plan, especially as I wouldn't be able to do anything this evening anyway and I'm just not sure I should be running around like this.

Wait 'til he discovers the traffic mess casued by the closure of the Sepulveda Pass - 405/134/101 will be a Zoo!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »

I enjoyed my afternoon of viewing.

I began by finishing GOLDFINGER which I had begun several nights ago in anticipation of the new Blu-rays which I was expecting this week.

GOLDFINGER, of course, is from the most recent Ultimate Edition collection, and it looks and sounds nice.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »

Next, I watched my work disc of the day: TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI. I had never seen this French crime noir before, and it was very enjoyable. Fairly low key until the last fifth of the movie when things heated up greatly. Wow! A young Jeanne Moreau as probably the worst cabaret dancer in the history of cinema. The director cuts away from her a lot since it's obvious she's not much of a dancer. She does a feeble kick with an unpointed foot, just hopeless. And she has only a few scenes yet on the cover, she gets second billing to Jean Gabin.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

There are no bonus features in the set, just the films in transfers as Criterion last presented them as part of their collection.

The next one in the box is THE THIRD MAN which I reviewed a few months ago when Criterion repackaged it with a new transfer and new bonuses. I'll watch a bit of it tonight just to make sure it's the same transfer I last watched. It may be the older transfer that I had bought before I began reviewing Criterion discs.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »

I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing and nothing in the previews for tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

My James Bond/Blu-rays did arrive today, so I put in the first one - DR. NO and watched the first 40 minutes or so. Looks quite marvelous, and it has DTS-HD Master Audio sound (also the original mono). I'll finish it when I go back down.

I had been reading that some people were having trouble playing the Blu-rays in their players, but neither my Samsung nor my PS3 had any trouble with the disc at all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

DR George, anyone who would take Blitzstein's wonderful THREEPENNY OPERA adaptation and replace his singable lyrcis with another's is an oaf. Do it or don't do it, but don't screw with it. If it weren't for Marc Blitzstein, there most likely would have been no major interest in Brecht or Weill in this country for a much longer time. His lyrics may not be as dirty as some of these morons who think Brecht is just filthy German slang would like, but instead - because of the time they were written - they're sly and funnier than Brecht ever could be. The other thing about THREEPENNY OPERA is that it's funny, a comedy with songs taken from an 18th-Century satire; it isn't a Third-Reich indictment or a rougher version of CABARET. The last revival at Roundabout, and the 1976 Public Theatre production, suffered from the same problem.

I will admit that there was a lot of humor in the show.  I have THIS recording that used a new translation, and I think it might be what they used last night, but I'm not sure.  The program only lists Mark Blitzstein as the translator.

And when they do that, they do Marc Blitzstein a disservice snce he can be blamed for things he didn't do. They might have used the Mannheim-Willett version from 1976. The interesting thing about Blitzstein's work is that when his lyrics are really good, they're better than Brecht's, certainly funnier - and there are only a few occasions when they don't land as well as Brecht's - but he manages every point and entendre Brecht makes without resulting to major profanity or grossness.

I suppose in 1954 with the rightwing throwing the word "communist" around and McCarthy dragging his enemies off to hearings, we're lucky Blitzstein got as raunchy as he did. I've always wanted to go down to the Kurt Weill Foundation and read his original text before he had to make major cuts right before the Theatre de Lys opening (see my friend Eric Gordon's Blitzstein bio Mark the Music for more on the off-Broadway and recording problems and a wonderful essay on the Blitzstein version, "The World Is Mean," by Judith Johnson Sherwin in Virginia Quarterly Review, XXXV, 1959, and Peter Bauland's The Hooded Eagle: Modern German Drama on the American Stage).

This is very interesting.  I know nothing of any of the history of the show.  Thanks for the info!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

Back from rehearsal, have answered many e-mails, written a strong note to an eBay seller whose package has not arrived from Japan, twenty days after it was paid for, and shall now go attempt the long jog.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

I'm jumping off line to do some writing and then I'll head down to finish DR. NO on Blu-ray, check out THE THIRD MAN, and then begin an evening of fun TV programs.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

BK, buy from India. I get my packages in 3 days from Mumbai.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2008, 02:11:23 PM »

I am sleep today.

BK, buy from India. I get my packages in 3 days from Mumbai.

Yes, take MBarnum's advice.  He is sleep!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »

Got my review copy of QUO VADIS today.  All I can say is I think we're in for another BK rant.  ;)

Don't tell me. It's too brown.

Italy is very sunny.  Perhaps they were meant to be "tanned" better than 1950 Hollywood could make them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

they have unbanned the site or perhaps it is the new isp number that is not being detected...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were staying away "because" this person would be there.

I too was confused about that.  Either way, sorry it didn't work out.

It's simple--I don't want to have any contact with the unnamed author under any circumstances.  This is not a "meet and greet" or social exchange situation, it's a guy giving a presentation to an audience, so there's no civil way for me to "rebut" anything should he present allegations that have been disproven.  I don't need the mishegoss.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

Ron, you dont look a day past 25 in that picture...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

Ron, you dont look a day past 25 in that picture...

Correct.  I was 18.  It was my Freshman ID photo from college.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »

DR JMK -- Heckling from the audience is way cool.

Laura

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »

they have unbanned the site or perhaps it is the new isp number that is not being detected...

Yippee! So now you can post from work?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »

QUO VADIS' color is rather unseemly, that's all I'll say for now.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »

Back from the long jog - quite pretty out.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »

TOD:

An excruciatingly labored and unintentionally hilarious production of "Darkness At Noon".  Worst thing about this play done in my senior year at college is that the new department head was the director.  My "part" was in ensuring the house was prepped, doing flyers and keeping track of reservations, etc. (i.e. House Manager).  It was the first time I'd done something not "on" or "back" stage.  I was fortunately "due" to fill that function as part of my degree pursuit.  After the first act, I found reasons to be in the lobby our outside on the front steps of the theater.  I already dreaded the rest of the year which, as it turned out, wasn't bad at all as I had one of the leads in the spring production of "See How They Run".  That rather guaranteed my graduation, I think, as the new department head "hated male theater majors", in general (although he had been one, too!!!) and I thought that extended to me, in particular.   When the seniors did their directorial one-acts, he "fired" my lead actor the night before performance (with cause, I might add).  It wasn't all the lead actor's fault as the department head attended all my rehearsals and criticized the guy constantly.  He even took over directing at one point until I stood my ground and asked him to leave if he couldn't control himself.  The result was the department head wanted to fail me on the one-act.  Instead, I did the part myself, pulling an all-nighter memorization and a hurried run-through the next afternoon with the leading lady (not to be confused with a quickie).

It went VERY well.  VERY well.  After that, Dr. Virgil Grey looked at me through kinder, gentler eyes.  :D 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up