Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UPS ADVENTURE  (Read 27421 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: THE UPS ADVENTURE
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:42 AM »

Page Two Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 06:09:32 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  I stayed up too, too late last night, but wouldn't have missed those 2 speeches for anything.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »

Good morning, all! I am very happy today about the election results except for the re-election of that idiot Miichele Bachmann and the passing of gay marriage bans in several states. While I'm not in particular a believer in marriage in any form, given the casual treatment it receives from too many heterosexual couples, I find it sad that the narrow minds pushing the passage of such acts see no further than the ends of their noses and encourage the continuation of bigotry and stupidity. And that's my soapbox.

So, today, I think I will wander down to the NYPL for a bit of research and return here to continue the Frank Loesser project.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »

I think the President-Elect's first act should be to require more accountability...

...from UPS.

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:58 AM »

What will they think of next?    :)

Diet Soda Cake
It could NOT be any easier. Just take a box of cake mix, and INSTEAD of adding the eggs, oil, water, etc., that the box tells you to add, just mix with 1 can of diet soda, and then bake according to box directions (or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean). That's it! You can do the same with brownie mix as well. Lots of people stick to Diet Coke and chocolate cake, but I have experimented with various cake and soda combos. Diet cream soda and diet lemon-lime soda both work GREAT with yellow and white cakes, as do fruity diet sodas like black cherry and orange. Have fun and be adventurous!

By the way, a lot of people have emailed in saying that they add a can of black beans to their cake or brownie mix instead of the recommended ingredients (and then mix with an electric mixer and bake according to the directions on the box). I've tried that, and it tasted good, but please remember this -- while the beans are healthy and contain fiber, a can of them typically has over 300 calories, so they'll add an extra 25 - 30 calories to each serving of your cake. Diet soda adds no calories.

Of course if you want to add fiber, there's always our favorite... CANNED PUMPKIN! So depending on what you're looking for, alter your cake-baking accordingly. Have fun!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 06:38:36 AM »

In 1974 or so, I became friendly with a fantastic high school musician who played clarinet and saxophone in several productions I worked on.  While he was going to Harvard, he came down to Manhattan to visit a couple of times, and I'm very proud of all he's done with his life. I got an email from him yesterday morning; he'd gone to our hometown to help Obama with the Ohio election and I just got a nice email about how well he thought it had gone (Big Understatement!).  A couple of years ago, when his book was published, he sent me a copy accusing me and my forcing him to purchase from a $1.00 bin at Sam Goody's the OBC of WORKING for making the book possible.

http://dsmcintosh.com/DSMcIntosh/Home.html
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And so is my computer.  Thankfully!  WHEW!!

*I had to do the "Parameter RAM" reset that bk had to do a few days ago.  However, I was going to head down to 5th Avenue anyway this morning, so I was all set to stop by the Apple Store if I had to.  But for now, I don't.

Again, WHEW!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 07:01:08 AM »

In 1974 or so, I became friendly with a fantastic high school musician who played clarinet and saxophone in several productions I worked on.  While he was going to Harvard, he came down to Manhattan to visit a couple of times, and I'm very proud of all he's done with his life. I got an email from him yesterday morning; he'd gone to our hometown to help Obama with the Ohio election and I just got a nice email about how well he thought it had gone (Big Understatement!).  A couple of years ago, when his book was published, he sent me a copy accusing me and my forcing him to purchase from a $1.00 bin at Sam Goody's the OBC of WORKING for making the book possible.

Hmm, I wonder if he's the son of someone I know?  Did his family live on Milton Road?  Did I work on any of those productions?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 07:02:59 AM »

Hmm, I wonder if he's the son of someone I know?  Did his family live on Milton Road?  Did I work on any of those productions?

Yep! Milton Road. I used to stop by and see his family when I was back in Ohio to learn what David was up to. At one point he was living in New York on 79th Street or so and I didn't know it until I ran into him on the subway.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »

So are we allowed to discuss politics now?  Saying something like at last this country has come to its collective senses?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »

And what a telling difference in "classiness" between the audience reaction during McCain's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech. 

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 07:14:57 AM »

Well, it looks like Prop 8 narrowly passed in California.

It remains to be seen if I will be told that my marriage is invalidated.

>:(

The fight is hardly over!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:20:29 AM »

Interesting link DR ELMORE.....we always make a difference, but it's always nice to find out the positive results.  That looks like a very interesting book....

DR SINGDAW.....I am going to try that recipe!!!  Not today....maybe tomorrow.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 07:20:30 AM »

Good morning!

More overcast but it promisees to be a day devoid of rain, so that will be nice. (More rain slated for Friday).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »

I should be able to finish up with SUPERNATURAL today with no trouble. There are some bonus features, but I don't think there are hours of them.

I plan to watch last night's THE SHIELD as I cook and eat lunch before beginning on my work discs.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - KNIGHT RIDER, LIFE (new time), LAW & ORDER (season premiere)
CBS - comedies, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI; NY
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS results, PRIVATE PRACTICE, DIRTY SEXY MONEY
FOX - BONES, HOUSE (rerun)

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »

What used to be a throwaway night of TV is now pretty full. I'll be watching BONES, LIFE, and LAW & ORDER tonight (recorded but watched slightly later so I can speed through commercials).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »

Well...  I'm off to the Apple Store...  :-\

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 07:35:24 AM »

I am THISCLOSE to an Apple......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 07:35:36 AM »

Season Finale of TOP DESIGN........

Ben

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2008, 07:36:54 AM »

The Rat Hole is back!!!

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 07:38:54 AM »

Well, it looks like Prop 8 narrowly passed in California.

It remains to be seen if I will be told that my marriage is invalidated.

You're always valid in my book, Singdaw!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »

HEALTH VIBES to DR jhvw
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

So are we allowed to discuss politics now?  Saying something like at last this country has come to its collective senses?  :)

I'd like to thank one person in particular for yesterday's results!

JMK

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »

I am more seriously swamped with review discs than I think I ever have been.  I still have both the 14 disc A&E Adventure Collection and The 60's to get through, the UK series Primeval, Chabrol's Madame Bovary, plus Blu-rays of Hellboy II and a  Paul McCartney concert disc.  Plus I just found out I'm soon to be getting the Blu-ray of Get Smart, as well as the new Monty Python megaset and the latest Disney tin of Donald Duck stuff.  Oy.

JMK

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:47 AM »

So what am I doing posting here?  ;)  (A question I'm sure some of you ask with great regularity).

JMK

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »

Oh, I forgot--I'm also the new default "classical" reviewer so I'm getting some new Naxos Blu-rays, too.  I think a Balanchine compilation and some early opera whose name I forget right now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

Blu-Ray........I am sad to think that I will have to upgrade again....soon.....

JMK

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »

Blu-Ray........I am sad to think that I will have to upgrade again....soon.....

They'll look fantastic on your 13" analog Emerson!  ;)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »

BK, I sympathize with you.

UPS has got to be one of the worst companies on Earth to do business with...or to work for.

Years ago,  I owned a check-cashing business.  One day, a UPS driver came to me with a company check, which I verified with the company, then cashed. 2-3 days later I got the check back, "Payment Stopped".

Turns out the check was issued in error, so the company stopped it.

Unfortunately for UPS, under California law, I was a "holder in due course".   That means that if the check was, indeed, issued by the company (even in error) and I cash it (taking reasonable care to verify its athenticity), then both the company and the person that cashed it are on the hook to pay me.

I called the folks at UPS, explained the law to them and their attitude was "Tough," so I sued them in Small Claims Court for 3 times the amount of the check.

To defend themselves, they sent the poor driver (who honestly believed that there was no error in his check) and his supervisor.  The driver had been told to make the situation go away if he wanted to keep his job.

I felt sorry for the guy, so I settled for the amount of the check and my court costs.

My wife, who used to own a small company, could write a book about the problems she had with UPS.

Go Fed-Ex!
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up