Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UPS ADVENTURE  (Read 27428 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE UPS ADVENTURE
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »

I've always had really good luck with UPS.  We've had the same driver in this neighborhood for probably 10+ years, and he knows us personally, always brings the packages into the covered garage and leaves them there and also defaults to leaving them even if they need a signature (we've asked him to do that).  He'll come back to get the signature if he needs it. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:03 AM »

Thought for the day:

Do something. If it works, do more of it. If it doesn't, do something else.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »

While I'm not in particular a believer in marriage in any form, given the casual treatment it receives from too many heterosexual couples....

Luckily there's folks like Jane and Vixmom and Ginny and me, who picked swell guys and find it a joy to be married for years and years and years.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »

Jmk, I really hate to get controversial (who'm I kidding, I love to get controversial when I can :) ) - but as a person who sends stuff UPS and at times relies on having a signature as proof that the item was received, your UPS guy's approach to signatures bothers me just a tad.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »

But really, just a tad, and in your case I know you are honorable people, and the UPS guy must know that too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »

Well, it looks like Prop 8 narrowly passed in California.

It remains to be seen if I will be told that my marriage is invalidated.

I wouldn't doubt that Prob 8 (along with the Florida prop) will be overturned in the courts.  But still a let down that it passed.

What confounds me is that this was a constitutional amendment.  It should require a 2/3 vote to pass, but somehow it doesn't (and doesn't have 2/3, either).  The result is hardly a mandate, but I think it IS a result founded on fear and prejudice and hatred.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »

Blu-Ray........I am sad to think that I will have to upgrade again....soon.....

They'll look fantastic on your 13" analog Emerson!  ;)

And at my age....I can't look at an Emerson product without thinking Faye had something to do with its manufacture.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »

Since January of 2005, I have had my oil changed at the Mobil Oil Quik Change.  It has taken between 15 and 20 minutes.

Today, under President-elect Barack Obama....it took 45 minutes. 

I'm just saying.............

I do hope that was not intended as a racist joke.  It certainly seems to be one, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

My question for ASK BK day......first you read the book and then you saw the movie.....which movie came closest to your ideas of the book.

And then first you saw the movie, then you read the book.....which book disappointed you most......

Rosemary's Baby - the perfect adaptation of a book - the film IS the book.  Second, To Kill A Mockingbird, captures the feeling of the book wonderfully, but it's not quite the book. 

For the second part of the question: Maybe The Birds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »

While I'm not in particular a believer in marriage in any form, given the casual treatment it receives from too many heterosexual couples....

Luckily there's folks like Jane and Vixmom and Ginny and me, who picked swell guys and find it a joy to be married for years and years and years.

And then there are my brothers, each on a third marriage!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »

But really, just a tad, and in your case I know you are honorable people, and the UPS guy must know that too.

He knows my "at home" and "away" schedule, so he will sometimes drop stuff off while he's in my neck o' the woods and then come back before the end of the day to get the actual signature.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »

Since January of 2005, I have had my oil changed at the Mobil Oil Quik Change.  It has taken between 15 and 20 minutes.

I do hope that was not intended as a racist joke.  It certainly seems to be one, though.

???

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2008, 08:14:16 AM »

I'm in the same boat, DR JMK. A week ago, I wa down to one disc left to review. Within a week, I had a huge stack with more to come (WALL-E on Blu-ray, KUNG FU PANDA, the Criterion Blu-rays). I don't believe I'll be watching any DVDs "for fun" for the next couple of weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »

Forgot one little addendum to my post yesterday on the upcoming 25% off sale--it will also be mirrored on DDD's "sister" site, DVDPlanet.  I highly recommend checking out both sites for prices.  I was really surprised to find during the spring sale that quite a bit of stuff was cheaper at DVDPlanet than DDD. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:41 AM »

Oh, let's keep politics out of here for a while longer.  As to Prop 8, I've still heard it's too close to predict, with many absentee ballots to be counted.  The amount of money that the pro 8 people spent is nauseating, as was their lying, deceitful campaign, and hopefully all those holier-than-thou morally specious individuals will get the karma they so richly deserve should the bill pass.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »

I'd go along with ROSEMARY'S BABY as the most satisfying book to film project.

For me, the most disappointing was VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Not a great book but a great read, and so many bad decisions were made bringing it to the screen.

JMK

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:22 AM »

Oh, let's keep politics out of here for a while longer.  As to Prop 8, I've still heard it's too close to predict, with many absentee ballots to be counted.  The amount of money that the pro 8 people spent is nauseating, as was their lying, deceitful campaign, and hopefully all those holier-than-thou morally specious individuals will get the karma they so richly deserve should the bill pass.

Ummmm.....isn't Prop 8 political?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »

I was awakened at six this morning by a call from UPS telling me that my package was on the right truck and would be delivered today.  I went back to sleep  At eight, I was awakened again by another call from UPS telling me my package was on the right truck and would be delivered today.  I was too groggy to deal with talking about filing my complaint, but I'll do that shortly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:38 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »

I guess I'll head down now to check the mail and get lunch started.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »

???

I'd be delighted to be wrong.

But given the statement....Black president-elect...blue-collar workers doing oil changes, likely African-American or other minority...working efficiently one day and then, with a black president-elect, taking three times longer to do that the job....THAT reads like a slur to me.

It could, of course, simply have been meant to be a comment on a new bureaucracy slowing things down, but since Washington has been stagnant the past two years, I hardly see how it could be less effective than it has been
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:24:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »

I really liked THE CARPETBAGGERS - remember when Harold Robbins was scandalous?  And the movie version, although I liked it a lot - left out some really good stuff.

I was particularly disappointed that Carroll Baker's  RINA didn't get the  hospital death scene that is in the book....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »

Ummmm.....isn't Prop 8 political?

If you mean, by political, a "hate crime", then yes.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »

RLP, I find it very distasteful that you would even consider that JRAnd meant that at a slur. I got the joke. Evidently you did not.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »

RLP, I find it very distasteful that you would even consider that JRAnd meant that at a slur. I got the joke. Evidently you did not.

I don't get the joke at all, MBarnum.  Perhaps you can explain it.

To me, the alleged joke itself was distasteful.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »

No it wasn't meant to be racist.  I would delete it, but it has been quoted.

Laura

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »

Elmore, I agree with you. There are many many more divorces than long-lasting marriages. I am so glad that I am one of the fortunate ones.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »

I see that my braces-on-the-brain, homophobic, narrow-mnded, God-fearing Christian niece-by-marriage has posted on her MySpace page how proud she is of her home state Alabama for voting Republican and how disappointed she is in Ohio. I think I need to urge my nephew to divorce her. Or commit her. Or send her painless methods of suicide.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »

The shocking and shameful history of the county seat of my hometown.   :(

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E7DC1F39F934A25756C0A9649C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2008, 08:34:30 AM »

So what am I doing posting here?  ;)  (A question I'm sure some of you ask with great regularity).

What about the ANNETTE set?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up