Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UPS ADVENTURE  (Read 27489 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE UPS ADVENTURE
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »

Elmore, I agree with you. There are many many more divorces than long-lasting marriages. I am so glad that I am one of the fortunate ones.

My friends Peggy and Peter, the parents of my goddaughter Emily, the parents of my goddaughter Charlotte, all have proven marriage can be a commitment as well, but there are too many who change marriages daily as others change underwear, and I find that no endorsement for the institution at all. I am very happy for  you and those on HHW who have proven a commitment can work. I hope our DR singdaw can be given the chance to prove it, too.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »

I think it's time to walk down to the NYPL for a spell.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »

I see that my braces-on-the-brain, homophobic, narrow-mnded, God-fearing Christian niece-by-marriage has posted on her MySpace page how proud she is of her home state Alabama for voting Republican and how disappointed she is in Ohio. I think I need to urge my nephew to divorce her. Or commit her. Or send her painless methods of suicide.

Washington just joined Oregon in offering assisted suicide.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:16 AM »

So what am I doing posting here?  ;)  (A question I'm sure some of you ask with great regularity).

What about the ANNETTE set?

Another reviewer got that one.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »

So what am I doing posting here?  ;)  (A question I'm sure some of you ask with great regularity).

What about the ANNETTE set?

Another reviewer got that one.

Bummer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

No it wasn't meant to be racist.  I would delete it, but it has been quoted.

Thanks for saying that, Jack.  I hoped it wasn't.  I have to let everyone here know that despite "our" differences in the past, I am not hellbent on thinking the worst of you or anyone here.

All my relatives are in South Carolina and Virginia.  I'm quite sure my Virginia relatives are spitting tacks this morning.  My mom and aunt worked the polls in South Carolina (Edgefield County) and I have been more than up to my neck in alligators every time we speak on the phone.  My mom has been sending me everything that comes her way via e-mail that vilifies Obama and praises McCain.  It's what she's exposed to.  My aunt's house has Fox News on 24/7 with only a brief changeover for a sports program.

I can well imagine I'm going to hear a lot of stuff in a couple of months that will make me question (for the millionth time) whether I was actually adopted.  It's sad to me that they are all "one" in their views about politics.  Nothing "Democrat" is ever good (except the governor who, for unfathomable reasons, seems to be a Democrat more often than not).

All of that said, I am sincere about not getting the joke.  It was likely heinous of me to believe you would make a racist statement, but sometimes  folks say things I know they don't mean to say in the way that they say them. 

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »

RLP, I find it very distasteful that you would even consider that JRAnd meant that at a slur. I got the joke. Evidently you did not.

I don't get the joke at all, MBarnum.  Perhaps you can explain it.

To me, the alleged joke itself was distasteful.

Well, lets see. All candidates are about change and making things better. JRand, jokingly plays the type of person expecting immediate change or wanting to place immediate blame. His first activity of the day after election doesn't  go well. He blames the new presidency. Jokingly.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »

Boetticher/Scott Westerns all great.  BK, You're right; Buchanan Rides Alone is not quite as good as the others, but still fun.  THE TALL "T" is one of the best and, given the election results, may I quote from it, "Come on, It's gonna be a nice day!"

P.S. - And now may Sarah Palin retire to the obscurity she so richly deserves and may we never hear her name uttered again in the lower 48.

singdaw

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:27 AM »

I wonder if DR SWW knows about this?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »

Goddam AT&T!!!! Whom the fat hell do you have to screw to get a live customer service rep and not a stupid automated voice?  Some days modern technology can blow it right out its collective ass.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »

I'd go along with ROSEMARY'S BABY as the most satisfying book to film project.

For me, the most disappointing was VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Not a great book but a great read, and so many bad decisions were made bringing it to the screen.

Two movies that were much better than their books:

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
JAWS
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »

Goddam AT&T!!!! Whom the fat hell do you have to screw to get a live customer service rep and not a stupid automated voice?  Some days modern technology can blow it right out its collective ass.

A young man from AT & T came to my door yesterday telling me that all of my neighbors were switching over and they could give us a great deal on a triple play....I said no thanks.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:35 AM »

RLP, I find it very distasteful that you would even consider that JRAnd meant that at a slur. I got the joke. Evidently you did not.

Maybe I should have just blamed the person who was obviously responsible:

Well, lets see. All candidates are about change and making things better. JRand, jokingly plays the type of person expecting immediate change or wanting to place immediate blame. His first activity of the day after election doesn't  go well. He blames the new presidency. Jokingly.

Maybe I should have blamed the person who was obviously responsible.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »

Good Morning, once again!

...And it must be "Cute Mac Genius Day" at the 5th Avenue Apple Store. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »

Everybody Breathe!

Count to 10.

Then Breathe Again.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:41 AM »

Boetticher/Scott Westerns all great.  BK, You're right; Buchanan Rides Alone is not quite as good as the others, but still fun.  THE TALL "T" is one of the best and, given the election results, may I quote from it, "Come on, It's gonna be a nice day!"

This is a great DVD set and the documentary on Boetticher is fascinating.  I've watched 3 of the 5 films, thus far.

Boetticher was one of my publicity clients back in the late 1960s.  He was a very interesting man who would be the first one to admit that he was self-destructive careerwise.  At that time, he was contemplating filing a lawsuit against Universal over TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA, the Clint Eastwood movie.  He claimed that he'd sold the studio his script with the proviso that he also direct, so when Don Siegel was assigned to the project, Budd yelled "Foul".  I don't know how the matter was settled.

I last saw him 2-3 months before he died.  I had a lobby card from THE TALL T, signed by Randolph Scott, and I wanted Budd's signature on it also.  Thie piece currently hangs on my living room wall.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Since January of 2005, I have had my oil changed at the Mobil Oil Quik Change.  It has taken between 15 and 20 minutes.

Today, under President-elect Barack Obama....it took 45 minutes. 

I'm just saying.............

I do hope that was not intended as a racist joke.  It certainly seems to be one, though.

???

I'd be delighted to be wrong.

But given the statement....Black president-elect...blue-collar workers doing oil changes, likely African-American or other minority...working efficiently one day and then, with a black president-elect, taking three times longer to do that the job....THAT reads like a slur to me.

It could, of course, simply have been meant to be a comment on a new bureaucracy slowing things down, but since Washington has been stagnant the past two years, I hardly see how it could be less effective than it has been

I took it as a joke and knowing Jrand I'm absolutely sure it was not meant as a racial slur - and I think everyone here knows that. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »

Moving on....

DR JOSE....pictures of the Apple genii please.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »

I responded before seeing the other responses.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »

DR elmore - Regardless of your catty response, the only person responsible for last night's election results is Senator, now President-Elect Barack Obama.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »

Here is a non-controversial post:

For lunch, I am eating Minnestrone, a Gyro, and a banana.

Not necesarily in that order.

:)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:23 AM »

I talked to another supervisor - he's told me someone will be calling me from the Van Nuys office to hear my complaint.  I told him no one would call.  He suggested I write the corporate offices, which I may well do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »

Moving on....

DR JOSE....pictures of the Apple genii please.

Hmm.. I do have my iPhone...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »

I guess I should think about doing the long jog - I'm a bit tired from having been awakened at six - and that particular call actually came from the Van Nuys office.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »

So I suppose I can call that number and see if I can get the head person on the phone.

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »

And I had to go to 5 businesses this morning before I could find a hard copy of today's New York Times to purchase.

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »

I got my flu shot today.

The brochure they handed me indicates that it takes up to 2 weeks for protection to develop, but then lasts up to a year.   I guess "up to" is the operative term.

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

see if I can get the head person on the phone.

The foot person is more fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »

I must say (re: the election) that for someone who does not live in the US (me) it seems like such an odd system that the entire state goes entirely Republican or Democrat.

In Canada (i don't know if it's any better but), in the city of montreal for example every suburb is counted as one. So the majority in that suburb is what counts. The more populated provinces do end up having the most say.

I wonder do any countries just go strictly by majority?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up