Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE  (Read 21532 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »

I have nothing to say except:  Are we on page 3 yet?

You could at least rhyme :)

der Brucer

I said "rhyme", not "pun"!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »

Looks like if Stevens steps down in Alaska, Sarah Palin may be headed to the Senate.  LOL...Palin 2012!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/us/politics/07palin.html?ref=politics

"Asked Wednesday whether she still believed that Mr. Stevens should resign, Ms. Palin was circumspect, saying only that the people of Alaska "just spoke" on the issue at the ballot box and that "they want him as their senator." She said Mr. Stevens should decide "what happens next." (Mr. Stevens could still be forced to step down, and Ms. Palin is widely viewed as a potential candidate for his seat if he does.)"

DERBRUCER

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

WARNING - OPINION AHEAD!

Girl-on-girl action on TV

Bones - tasteful

Grey's Anatomy - not tasteful

der Brucer

RE Grey's - sad to see writers throw a fine actress under the bus

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »

Looks like if Stevens steps down in Alaska, Sarah Palin may be headed to the Senate.  LOL...Palin 2012!

We could sell tickets to a Sarah/Hilary senate debate - and reduce the national debt! :D

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

Does any DR know how I can quote something from yesterday without copying/pasting?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

Re: Sarah Palin -- When she and Joe Biden debated, I thought she acquitted herself extremely well.

I wish she had campaigned with the same degree of pleasant civility.  I was favorably impressed with her, and then one day later she was vilifying Obama.  It seemed to me she was WAY out of her league in that mode and she did herself and the campaign a great deal of harm.

The brightest spot in the campaign, entertainment-wise, was Tina Fey's rapturously perfect "takes" on Palin....and Palin's good sportsmanship on SNL belied the "shrill harpy" antics in GOP crowds.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »

DR Laura:   Loved the "Charlie Brown" reference yesterday evening.  I've used it quite a bit myself when I find myself either bored or out of whatever loop other people are in.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »

I have to pick up my "films" from the radiologist ina about 45 minutes and thern go to the ENT Dr (no NOT a walking talking tree, I have been assured)

My GP callled yesterday to say that the films not only showed a mass in my lymph node but also nodules on the right half of  my thyroid (they removed the left thyriod lobe about 20 years ago...)

I am scared

please keep me in your thoughts today

~~~SUPER VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM!!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

Does any DR know how I can quote something from yesterday without copying/pasting?

It can't be done. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008, 11:24:32 AM »

See what I mean about sexism?  You would have posted mud wrestling for a McCain/Obama debate

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »

Or maybe you would have :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »

The following is a treatment for FRINGE an Associated Press Story

Army Working on 'Ghost' Soldiers, Mind-Controlled Guns

Self-regenerating body parts. Intelligent "virtual soldiers." Mind-controlled weapons. Brain "wipes" to purge traumatic memories. "Quantum ghost imaging."

The U.S. Army's working on all of these concepts, according to a report on Military.com, a private military-oriented Web site.

"Making science fiction into reality" is the goal, says Dr. John Parmentola, the Army's director for research and laboratory management.

"You can imagine people who have horrifying memories, it would be great if we could eliminate them so this way they're not plagued by these memories uncontrollably," he says, explaining research into cleaning soldiers' minds of recollections that cause post-traumatic stress disorder.

Salamanders have long been known to grow back fingers and even limbs, and the Army's trying to figure out how.

"We're beginning to understand how this occurs and if we can, it holds the hope of, being able to regrow limbs on people," says Parmentola.

As for "quantum ghost imaging," it involves the strange but well-documented phenomenon of "twinned" particles that communicate instantaneously -- if something happens to one, the other reacts accordingly, no matter how far away.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »

See what I mean about sexism?  You would have posted mud wrestling for a McCain/Obama debate

Positing a debate is gender neutral - positing mud wrestling would be sexist.

der Brucer

Paraphrasing Nixon - "I Am not a sexist!"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »

I wonder if DR George will be purchasing the 5th anniversary edition of Wicked's cast album, with an exclusive second disc?  :D

Does the Pope wear a tall hat?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

I am so glad that we're no longer discussing politics.      ::)

Can't we discuss politics without trashing candidates, just the basis of how things work instead?

Example, fromDR Jose:
I think we all have to keep in mind that Senator McCain was not the one who picked Governor Palin as his running mate.  She was picked by his advisors and the heads of the RNC.  It is well documented that Senator McCain and Governor Palin had never even met before under the guise of considering her as a potential running mate.  They met for a few hours at a Governors function.  That was it.

I wonder who he wanted, and why did he permit himself to be persuaded to go with someone else.  It is one of my big issues with how the VP is chosen.  Either it should be someone who reflects the person who was the first pick for the party, or the runner up should then be VP.  I don't know, something different than how the VP is picked-maybe separate elections.  I realize there are problems all of these.  More so for McCain than with any other election did I feel the party choice should have selected a running mate closer to himself, highlighting the differences that separated him from his party & the current administration. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:58:43 AM by Jane »

singdaw

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

Can't we discuss politics without trashing candidates

I don't know...  can we?     ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »

I've lost about 35 lbs now. I'm quite pleased.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »

Can't we discuss politics without trashing candidates

I don't know...  can we?     ;)

Clearly not.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

I would include no modern film on my list because all modern films use way too much CGI to change color and lighting.

I know the topic was "photography", but to most viewers what counts is what's on the screen, not how it got there. The correct use of computer tools to adjust lighting as opposed to electric lights or camera/film manipulation is just a creator's choice of tools to effect an artistic visualization.

der Brucer

Anticipating a horse racing comment :)

Correct - I completely disagree.  Photography is an art - CGI used on top of photography is lazy and subverts the original intent.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »

Well done!  I think I've found it for you.  Let me know when I can mail it back! 

Jane

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »

I don't know if this was mentioned yesterday as I haven't had time to catch up, but I heard this morning that

author/film maker
Michael Crichton has passed away.

Yes :(

Are you home now?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »

Well done!  I think I've found it for you.  Let me know when I can mail it back! 

I will never ever send you address!

Jane

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »

DR Jennifer, we find the fresh produce prices at Costco to be very good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

elmore and I are running neck and neck in the weight loss department, as I, too, have lost thirty-five pounds.  I'm on my third pair of running shorts (I wear jean cutoffs) - the first pair were literally falling off me and I had to hold them up.  Yesterday, the second pair did the same thing.  Today, I put on pair three, which are 33s and very loose, but not falling off loose.  I feel so great thirty-five pounds lighter, and I like the way I look again - I literally could not look in the mirror before this diet, so disgusted was I at what I saw.  I'm definitely losing another five pounds and then five more beyond that probably, but not in a hurry for those last five.  I will then be in my 150s for the first time since 1995.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »

elmore and I are running neck and neck in the weight loss department, as I, too, have lost thirty-five pounds.  I'm on my third pair of running shorts (I wear jean cutoffs) - the first pair were literally falling off me and I had to hold them up.  Yesterday, the second pair did the same thing.  Today, I put on pair three, which are 33s and very loose, but not falling off loose.  I feel so great thirty-five pounds lighter, and I like the way I look again - I literally could not look in the mirror before this diet, so disgusted was I at what I saw.  I'm definitely losing another five pounds and then five more beyond that probably, but not in a hurry for those last five.  I will then be in my 150s for the first time since 1995.

150s? Curse you, BK! My goal is 170 and I've got a ways to go yet.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »

DR Vixmom, you are in my thoughts today-VIBES TO YOU!  Please get back to us & let us know what & when the next step is.

How did your sonogram go?

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »

I wonder if DR George will be purchasing the 5th anniversary edition of Wicked's cast album, with an exclusive second disc?  :D

I did!  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »

I picked up my DHL package - my early birthday present to myself.  I really took a chance on this - it's a new DVD set from France - the complete works of Jacques Demy, including all his short films - tons of extras, and so many films I've never seen, especially some of his last films, which never had US releases.  The chance was that on amazon France or the other French sites I checked there was no information about English subtitles and my greatest fear was that except for Umbrellas and Young Girls (for which I figured they'd use the same transfers as before and therefore have subs), that these could all be in French with no English subs.  Well, I'm happy to report that this was one chance that worked out - everything in the set has English subtitles.  I checked the transfers of Umbrellas and Young Girls - they're the same source material but look a little more solid.  I then put in Une Chambre En Ville - this is the first time it's ever been released anywhere on video - it looks and sounds great, and I'll be watching it later this afternoon.  But I'm so excited to see his short films and Lady Oscar and Traffic and his film with Yves Montand and Mathilda May (which I only saw once on the old Z Channel), and so many others, most especially his English-language film, The Model Shop, shot here in LA and also never before available.  The box is gorgeous and each DVD is housed in a slimline case.  The set is very expensive but given the number of films included (14, plus the shorts) and the extras (not sure if they'll be subtitled or not, but there are a lot of them), it's actually quite reasonable.  It's 100 euros, which is about $150 US.  I shall be in Jacques Demy heaven for at least a week, and let me tell you that is heaven indeed.

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »

Since you've mentioned Demy, we really should add
THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG
THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT
and
DONKEY SKIN
to the great photography in color TOD.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up