Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42715 times)

td

• td
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2004, 07:00:22 PM »

DR Panni, she of the infinite taste, and I should go on a double date since she wants to go out with Leonard Cohen, and I want to go out with his foremost interpreter, Jennifer Warnes.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2004, 07:01:39 PM »

Page Five!  

I'm dancing!

(of course, Sutton Foster is singing "Forget About the Boy" on stereo; can't help dancin').

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »

OH!  DRDanise....I think you get the email as soon as the tickets go on sale....AS SOON AS!  You do get a teaser email a bit ahead of time to let you know a bit before the sale begins if you asked for it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2004, 07:03:13 PM »

I think you already did, Jane.

Thank you.

I enjoyed your funny Roddy McDowall story.  He seems like a person I would have fun spending time with.

I believe Keith has a DVD for us to watch.
Good night.

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2004, 07:05:46 PM »

So why don't you write the novel, Tomovoz? Or the non-fiction autobiography?

Perhaps if Tomovoz and I collaborated, we could really tell tales.
For those who don't know:
I am my very own second cousin.  Yes, I am my mother's sister's daughter's child.(could explain a lot, then again, it might not).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2004, 07:05:52 PM »

Oh wait....maybe I would like to entertain Jonathan & Darlene Edwards at my house....  And then have Mr BK come in after dinner (he would like the Spam sandwiches I would serve as a main course) to discuss a new album with them....  Jonathan & Darlene Do It To Bacharach!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2004, 07:11:38 PM »

Will you be wearing that famous raincoat on that date td?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »

THE FANTASY DATE: It would have been interesting to dine with James Beard.  Something tells me that we'd start in the kitchen, with him doing the cooking, of course.  I wouldn't have minded the chance to be his sous chef one bit.

But the table needs a few others to round things out.  Noel Coward, perhaps, and definitely Dorothy Fields.  Ira Gershwin.  And Alton Brown (just to have someone who would be my own contemporary, and I'm afraid that Anthony Bourdain would be too boorish).

Six should be plenty for the table, I think.  

(There's lots of leftovers in the fridge, der B.  Don't wait up!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2004, 07:13:50 PM »

Will you be wearing that famous raincoat on that date td?
I'd have to defer to DR Panni, if I were wearing my famous blue raincoat, I wouldn't want to clash with her very own fashion statement. ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2004, 07:18:22 PM »

There was a movie trivia syndicated quiz show in the 1970s hosted by Larry Blyden that I always greatly enjoyed. I always wanted to try to get on that show, but it was done in LA, and I was working and never available to fly out there (and on a teacher's salary back then, couldn't have afforded it anyway).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2004, 07:19:27 PM »

Thanks a BUNCH Jrand!  I think I will put my work e-mail address in.  All I need to see is that I've received an e-mail from Ticketmaster and I'll call  ASAP!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2004, 07:23:59 PM »

There was a movie trivia syndicated quiz show in the 1970s hosted by Larry Blyden that I always greatly enjoyed....
Could the title have been Personality?  Or, digging further, there was another show he hosted called The Movie Game, which may be more likely.

(Where DO they come up with these unusual titles?)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 07:30:49 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2004, 07:42:21 PM »

THE MOVIE GAME does sound more like it. I remember the game had sometimes video clips from films, sometimes audio clips, and sometimes, they'd bring out a prop trunk and pull objects from films out and ask the player to identify the movie it came from (there was usually a clue that went with the prop). For awhile, it was a very popular syndicated show, but just as quickly as it rose in popularity, it fell and was canceled.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2004, 07:42:40 PM »

I am my very own second cousin.  Yes, I am my mother's sister's daughter's child.(could explain a lot, then again, it might not).
[/quote

My head is spinning and I'm not even Linda Blair!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 07:43:26 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2004, 07:43:06 PM »

What did everyone eat for dinner?  In loving detail, please.  

Danise

« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2004, 07:47:42 PM »

A grilled cheese sandwich.  Low fat cheese, low carb bread, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and a bottle on zero carb, zero calories, zero fat, zero sodium, zero taste Purified Drinking Water with Flavor Enhancing (?) Minerals.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »

Greek salad from Gelson's with a hardboiled egg chopped into it and a side of leftover almond chicken salad also from Gelson's. Washed down with a Diet Cherry Coke. And frozen roast chestnuts for dessert.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2004, 07:48:36 PM »

How was the low-carb bread?  I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2004, 07:50:04 PM »

I registered, I posted, and then I fell off the face of the earth!  Let's try this hhw newbie thing again, shall we?

I went to a camp (The site of the "Sound of Music" fiaso!) very similar to the one that "Camp" is based on, which had an enormous influence on my reception of the film.  When I was a camper at Usdan, I often had a tendency to step outside of the silly fun that we were all having in order to just take in my surroundings and think about the incredible potential that all these kids had.  I was the philosophical kid at the picnic table, perpetually singing "Our Time" instead of just looking at the damn satellite.  Seeing as I was nostalgic for camp while I was still there, seeing "Camp" just turned me into a blubbering, emotional mess!  I was so moved by how accurately they captured what happens at a performing arts camp.  Theatre kids go off to summer camp in order to escape from the cliques of high school (Where they are generally made fun of and excluded), but as soon as they get there, they seize the opportunity to create new cliques where they can make fun of and exclude other people.  I think that someone seeing "Camp" could easily tell that these kids have very different lives when they're back home, going to school.  "Camp" captures the talent and potential (That, for many kids, will probably go unfulfilled) of theatre kids while also showing that they're pompous, narcisistic, over-achievers.  I found the "Follies" sequence absolutely hilarious because a few summers ago, I was a part of an equally absurd teenage production of "Anyone Can Whistle" at my own performing arts camp.  The "Dreamgirls" situation is sort of similar to what happened when I did "Sound Of Music".  I think that "Camp" is mainly for the people who experienced it.  It depicts us really honestly and, since according to "Camp" we're all horribly self-absorbed (And we are!), we like that.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Danise

« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2004, 07:53:35 PM »

It's an aquired taste.  I'm joking.  It's really not that bad.  I still can't get over how a loaf of "low carb" costs almost $3.00 but the bad stuff is less than half that.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2004, 07:54:48 PM »

Thanks for your opposing viewpoint, Jenny.  I know it was liked by those who've experienced it first-hand.  I just thought it wasn't done well enough, and I wanted more atmosphere (even the geography of the camp would have been nice) and more with the teachers (who are just ciphers, really) and more joy.  I wanted more joy.

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2004, 07:54:55 PM »

Chunky Chicken Corn Chowder
DiGiorno Sausage Pepperoni Pizza (augmented, of course)
Vanilla Milk Shake (made with Egg Beaters, Boost Energy Drink and Ben 7 Jerry's Ice Cream).

My head is spinning and I'm not even Linda Blair!

Panni - would a dinner with Leonard and Jennifer help?  We could eat at an abandoned luncheonette. . .

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2004, 07:57:05 PM »

Leftover roast lamb, which I spiffed up with smashed potatoes and a mushroom gravy, and braised leeks.  First time I've tried braised leeks, and they were yummilicious, so this won't be the last time!

(By the way, I've found it handy to make a batch of roux in advance, which I keep in a plastic bag in the butter compartment of the fridge.  That way, when I want to thicken a sauce or gravy, it's already ready.

Basic roux: one part butter to one part flour (tsp per tsp).  Melt butter in saucepan, dump in butter and keep stirring as it cooks.  After five minutes or so, it should start to take on a nice golden color and smell slightly nutty.  This a) makes the flour blend in better with sauces, and b) gets the raw flour taste out of the flour.

Of course, when I'm making it in advance, I make more than just a tsp/tsp at a time, silly!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2004, 07:58:33 PM »

Oh, and Jenny, don't be dropping off the face of the earth.  We like you here, and you write well and have interesting things to say.  So there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »

I registered, I posted, and then I fell off the face of the earth!  Let's try this hhw newbie thing again, shall we?
Jenny, my love, hang in there!  You're only 490 posts away from becoming a Goddess!   :D

Panni

« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2004, 08:02:21 PM »

I think that "Camp" is mainly for the people who experienced it.  

Glad to see you back, DR Jenny. I certainly appreciate your take (and so articulately expressed!) on CAMP. But, from my POV, speaking as a screenwriter, making a movie that works for people who've experienced its subject matter ain't good enough. Whatever one may think of GONE WITH THE WIND, you didn't have to go through the Civil War to appreciate it; you didn't have to be friendly with midgets and have lived through a tornado to adore THE WIZARD OF OZ. Well, I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.
Now, as it is, many people loved CAMP. I just get annoyed with films which are unprofessional on so many levels. And, let me repeat, I'm not saying that I'm right, you're wrong, or anything of the sort. Just expressing my view of the film.

Danise

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2004, 08:04:28 PM »

I'm listening to some of my favorite piano music (Who Wants To Live Forever from Highlander) and just had a thought--I really liked the theme to The Incredible Hulk TV series with Bill Bixby.  Does anyone know if that was ever released on CD/LP?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2004, 08:08:42 PM »

On the other hand it did have Anna Kendrick, someone I'd hire in a heartbeat to do any album I produced.

Panni

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2004, 08:09:56 PM »

I'm thinking of going to bed REALLY early tonight and spending hours reading. I love reading in bed. But when I go to bed late - as I usually do - I read for ten minutes, or less, and get sleepy.
So... that's my exciting plan for tonight. The glamorous life of a Hollywood scribe, m'dears... the excitement just never ends!

Panni

« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2004, 08:11:05 PM »

On the other hand it did have Anna Kendrick, someone I'd hire in a heartbeat to do any album I produced.
It's been some time since I saw it, which one was she?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up